The Wales Marathon

Comments

• Does anyone know is there likely to be any clear indication to runners, marshalls & spectators as to who is running the Marathon and who the Half ?

I have only run one marathon & that did not incorporate a 'half' am trying to imagine not being demoralised at potentially being consistently passed by the 'halfee's or do they not start until after a  reasonable time lapse?  

Say an hour or two image

• The Half will start approx 90 mins after the full, times being discussed with police due to road closures.  Your numbers will be a different colour too so clearly identifiable.  The half will have its own start too.
  • Thank you. Yes I see the point re. police & road closures dictating start of half.

I vote the halfee's should wear clogs or wellingtons to prevent full marathoners being overran.

• lol!!! i'll mention it at tomorrows meeting!!!
  • i live in narberth and would love to do this...
    but I am doing my first 1/2 at the great north run the week before - is a week too little time to recover for another half? i'm keen to support a local event
  • half should be fine.  marathon a little more tricky although many do it.  starts inside pembroke castle so should be a great half.
  • 8iron - Does the Marathon start & finish on Frog Street?

Thanks,

Drinky

• Hi thinking of entering the marathon anyone know what time it starts cant find it on the info and its pretty important as regards travelling time.
  • errr.....yes good point actually & no I don't.
  • samruns & Laurie - 9am start for the marathon image
  • I noticed on Runners World that start time is down as 10am so I rang the organisers 'Activity Wales' they (Dan) rang me back & confirmed a start time of 10am for the marathon. He also mentioned half was 12 noon start.

I also note there are two forums running ...this one plus a different one through the 'normal' runners world site. I can't actually find this forum through RW site.

Threfore I am not sure which forum is best to use for relevant info. .......     8iron?

• Oh ok Laurie cheers for the info - i've entered & on my confirmation sheet it says the times are 09:00-16:00! Oh well, i'll take it as a 10am start if you've spoken to the organisers.

Thanks for the info image

• Hmmm you can tell its the first time its been run image few teething problems Im sure it will be fine.

• Just got an email from a Frances Edwards to say the marathon starts at 9.30 !!!! It also said it might change keep an eye on the web site so your guess is as good as mine!  Ive not actually entered yet  will have a think about it.
  • Thats it confirmed then. Marathon starts on Sunday 26th September.image

I'll be there in plenty of time as I have a 2 hr + plus drive anyway. I'm sure it will all be fine.

Does anyone know what priveleges an 'elite' place might confer?  

• Well judging by the start time queries as an  elite runner the priveleges are they give you the correct start timeimageimage Sorry had a tough wk end needed some dry humour to cheer myself up!! no offence welsh marathon organisersx
  • is anybody else running the brecon to merthyr 16 as part of their training schedule?

kind regards

Steve 

• I had a look at it Steve but can't fit it in sensibly so will be giving it a miss.
  • It would be very helpful for those already entered and those considering an entry, if the Wales Marathon website was up to date and more informitive about start times etc. There is a distinct lack of information about the projected half marathon. This vagueness makes you wonder whether either event is actually going to happen. First time enthusiam is all very well, but good, accurate websites are required these days to help participants get themselves organised.

• Dave - couldn't agree more pal. I'm actually starting to get quite worried now about the total lack of information. The website has been the same for weeks on end, as you can see from previous posts above we can't even work out what time it starts! image

I've been training for months in preparation for this marathon, it's my 1st attempt at the distance & if the event gets cancelled now i would be gutted.

Let's hope something appears very soon.

• There is a video uploaded now - I entered this last month and was a bit worried about the hills, but the elevation doesn't look as bad as I first thought! (hopefully)  This is my second marathon.

• With just 4 weeks 'till D Day & 12 weeks hard training behind me I am still hugely concerned by lack of activity on the Activity Wales Marathon website, despite assurances following phone calls & e mails.

If any of you out there are involved in running of this event or live locally & are aware of what is being done & can give me some confidence that I don't need to think of a 'back up' marathon I would be very grateful.
  • what do you need???  race packs will be sent 3 weeks prior to race and all info re expo and times are on the site.  let me know if you need anything else and we will update the site immediately.
  • Hi Laurie

I was in Saundersfoot (which is about 4 miles from Tenby) last week and the Marathon  was being advertsied in the local publications and it is listed on the websites for the welsh running clubs such as les Croupiers and the TROTS.

I have the other perspective in so far as why would this marathon not go ahead? Their website is excellent  and i think it is going to be a fantastic weekend I am really looking forward to it

kind regards

Steve 

• no worries guys; just let us know what you need and we can get it all up on the sites.  Everything ready to go, from the swim on friday, bike on sat and marathon on sunday.  lots of work going on to get the event ready but should be a great weekend.
  • Well Im in! hope that lots of people are entering because Im always at the back and as its a new one I dont want to be on my todd image 
  • Don't worry about that samruns, this is my first marathon so unlikely i'll be anywhere near the front!

Good news 8iron, i'm sure the weekend will be great. Starting to get really excited & a tad nervous now. image

• Matt,  Not my first marathon, done a fair few, try and kerb that excitement on the day it will make you go off to quick.  Ive done loads and as a slower runner tried every which way to try and better my time(which aint neva gonna happen to many slow twitch muscles and hardly any fast!!image)  The best advice really is go as slow as you dare for at least the first half and dont panic about your time at 13 miles you will be amazed at the amount of people you pass if they have gone off to quick.  I just hope you will have a great run and that your first one will be a great memory.

• I have only done 1 marathon before this ( 4 yrs ago) and I aimed for sub 4 hours.......set off at 10k pace (big mistake) and hit the wall at 18 miles and it took me til mile 24 to climb over it?image I also thought that drinking at the water stations would "slow me down" so never drank a thing until mile 17? Not good.  Ended up at 4.15, but was lucky to finish to be honest - I have learned my lesson big time - no going off too quick for me and definitely drinking this time!!!  Getting nervous/exited all in one, but sounds like it will be a memorable one - Oh and I'm hoping for 3.45 - big ask, but trained hard for it this time.