The Wales Marathon

Comments

• Hi 8iron.

Couple of questions.

Could you confirm I am registered to run the Half. My name is Trevor Daniels. I haven't had any emails about racepacks and I'm slightly concerned.

Also is it still possible to book the coach. The reason I'm leaving it late is because Ive been struggling with an injury and I'm still not 100% sure I will be able to partake and I don't want to waste any more money than I already have. I'm getting a little bit more optimistic as the days go by though, but would like to leave it late as possible.

Cheers

• DV ...I recon there is lots of good running on this route. Example ..from Fresh East to Pembroke is mainly flat with slight down hill. The trick will be to save yourself on the hills so your in good shape to take advantage of the flat stretches.

I'm going to drive the route Saturday night and try to work out where to put in the good miles and where to save my self on thoses hills.

My be able to get to a computer late Saturday for some ideas on this

• Hi Guy's.  The route goes out towards Pembroke Via the ridgeway and back Freshwater East & Manorbier.  The route and mile markers are shown in the race pack so you can see which way it goes. Looks like the weather should be good too.  c u sunday!

• Any idea of how much climbing there is? And are there any nasty ones?
  • There are a few climbs, the first is just after mile 2 and is pretty steep, if goes on for aprox half a mile. Once you are up onto the ridgeway it is pretty much ok with some good running and only a few short hills, there is then about a 3 mile gentle slope down into Pembroke which is great, the next climb is at aprox mile 13. that takes you up to Freshwater East it is about a mile long but is not steep at all just a steady climb, pretty much flat again then for about 4 miles, then a downward hill into Manorbier, once at Manorbier beach which is around mile 19 it is pretty much a steady climb again for about 1 and a half miles to get you back up to the top of the Ridgeway! Then you get to run down the steep hill that you had to run up at mile 2 (which on tired legs is pretty tough).  It is quite a challenging run but nothing too serious!  any way whats life without a challenge!!

• Cheers for that don't mind the odd climb just looking forward to getting to the start line now and with the weather forecast ok for sunday it should make a run! Any news on the latest numbers on each race?
  • Just finished my third pudding of the day! Feed the machine.

Good run down of course braceface. Will need to save a bit in reserve for the climb out of Manorbier.

Still hard to believe we are running a marathon around all these places I know.

Roll on Sunday

• Same here Staff .......i grew up around PD and played rugby for Wales against England a thousand times on the beach at Freshwater East so i am doubled excited to be running this first Wales Marathon.

Dr S. 

• Just picked up my running number and have the same colour as my hubby's who is doing the half. The Tenby observer shows that the full marathon runners should have green and the half marathon runners as red but when i went back to check they had given us the right colours (both green) was told that we all have the same colours!!  ??
  • Hey all - anyone got any ideas if there are showers available in the Rubgy Club afterwards (don't mind paying if I have to)...?  I'm going to be dropping my bag off in the club before the start and don't fancy walking all the way from the Rugby Club to the Leisure Centre afterwards just for a shower - I've got a 100mile journey home afterwards so just wanted to get crackin...
  • Evening all - All registered and done a recky of the course by god there are some hills! nevermind hey to late now. Good luck to everyone running tomorrow.
  • Just curious. If there are two finishes for the half and it appears that some marathon runners have half marathon coloured bibs (red). What's to stop them being sent the wrong way by marshals who will not be in the position to know those that have the wrong bibs...if that makes sense!

Btw, just come back from the narbeth food festival up the road and it's a great place to carb load image
  • Well its over, so glad I choose to run my 1st marathon here, run it in just under 4:15 so very happy considering the climbs. Anyone know the total amount of climbs involved. Roll on next year.
  • Toughest race I've done. Hills galore but a nice run. Circa 5 mins down on my time due to the hills. Defo not a pb route! Green/red mixed numbers didn't help the finish organisation, learn point for next year. Always going to be teething probs but still a good event that will only improve.

Thanks to all.
  • Just a bit of a side to this, this event next year will be an Ironman and will be officially recognised by Ironman. Top 50 finishers have the opportunity to go on to the final in Hawaii.
  • I presume this is he same as other Ironmen so not the top 50 finishers............but the top so many in each of the age groups............making 50 in totalimage

upset to see that its a hilly run on top of the hilly bikeimage....................but I'm sure i'll be thereimage

•  I had a red bib on, and I was doing the Half. Nearly cost me my life. No way was I going to do the extra, but I was getting ushered into doing it.

Glad to get it over with. I haven't been able to train for a month with a thigh injury. I could still feel it today especially downhill. Didn't seem to do any more damage, but my backs in half, due to those steep downhills I expect.

The hills seem to get worse during the last 6 miles of the marathon route and I kept thinking of those poor people who were going to hit the wall. I haven't done many races to date, but I doubt you will find a harder marathon anywhere.

• what a hilly marathon, the clime at the end was nice?.But I did enjoy it,and I met Jose Swalls pope.well done Dave rose on a good time.
  • Well i`m glad that's over! how many hills, pleased with my 4.14 finish considering the hills, like above defo not one for a pb!( 8 mins slower) met some fab people along the way, that really made it for me.

And amazing support from the half's as we went by, really gob smacking how fantastic you made me feel, so a big thank you!

Fantastic support all the way,this is my second marathon, and alot harder then Llanelli this year.

but glad i did it, well done everyone!

now off for a well deserved glass of vino!

Alexandra xxx
  • Loved the Route, Loved the hills, Loved the views.

Toughest point I found was climb up onto ridgeway from 20miles, legs then very tired on way back down but recoved for run in to Tenby, Great support.

Pleased with 3:13. As long as your not after a PB would highly recommend this one.

• Had a truely amazing time. Beautiful day, stunning views, great atmosphere, fab Welsh hills and a good challenge. Not to mention the great support from runners and spectators. Really enjoyed, will def be back next year. Think I did it in about 3.50 so really pleased for my first full and even managed a sprint finish image

Welldone everyone and thanks to Activity Wales and all the organisers

Non x

• Alexandra - I think I spokE to you and you hubBy and 2girls before and after the marathon, I ran with my mate we run with Port Talbot Harriers(why join our club). Like you said Fantastic support from everyone and this being my 1st it wont be my last, just a few seconds behind at the end. Anyone know where the final results are?
  • Well I have moaned about the pre race organisation registering prior, not having race pack in post, the details being cagey and changed, such as start time, starting point and prob the most niggly was the race numbers being all wrong and not being told on collection that the number was labelled as half but I was reg for the full so on finding it we returned to the golf club as did alot of people apparantely I think if a cock up has occured you need to admit it then we all know what to expect it just wound me up as did the very disorganised finish, a half marathoner decided to sprint past me near knocking me ova then continued on instead of turning off and I had to ask a spectator where to go to finish the full.   I know it was the first time the event was run and there was alot to organise with so many events but you are setting yourself up for flak if on the forum you are belittling competitors for stressing over certain organisational points which has occurred on this site which I thought was unfair.     All that said on the day I thought race headquarters right by the start was an excellent choice, toilets and warmth.  The yellow t shirt brigade were fab and that includes all the little kids who were helping and behaved impecably, marshalling on the course was excellent at no point did i wonder which way to go ( except the finish)feed stations were excellent and marshalls were all cheery,  and the course I hate to admit was worth all the upheaval beforehand.Definately returnable.image
  • Hi!  This is my first post, and yesterday was my first half marathon!  It really was a fantastic day and the course was beautiful, albeit a difficult hilly one!  In hindsight a flat course would have been better for my first half marathon!

Unfortuately I have to agree with some of the above posts regarding the messy finish to the race.  We were told by marshalls during the pre-race briefing in Pembroke Castle that marshalls would guide us at Tenby so that we could have the choice of two finishes.  When I reached the top of the climb in Tenby and saw the crowds and the 'finish' sign, I gave everything I had left to run as fast as I could, only to find out seconds later that I had to run further, and I was guided down to the harbour and through the Castle. This not only added time to my finish, and nearly killed me as my body had no energy left at this point having given my all to 'finish' the race minutes earlier.  My head was spinning by then and I was so lightheaded.  It was only after I had finished that my husband told me that I'd run the extra mile or so completely unnecessary!  I have to admit this really affected the way I look back at the race - not only due to tha fact that my time won't reflect the 'real' time of completing the race, but also, as my body was struggling with the last mile and it made the end of the race and the finish itself completely different to what it would've been had I been guided properly.   The extra mile (had it been necessary) wouldn't have been such a problem had I not thought earlier I was about to finish and the results would reflect the 'real' completion time. I don't want to moan, and I wish the organisers well for the future, and congratulate them for the overall arrangements.  However, surely there should have been more of an order at the end?

Surely there should've been a way of differentiating between half and full marathon runners? At the finish line, upon receiving my medal, I was asked if I had completed the full or the half?!  Therefore, I could've easily left Tenby with a medal for running a full marathon!!  Having said that, after the last unnecessary mile, I think maybe I deserved something extra! ; ) 

• Yes agree with previous posts. Despite being well marshalled throughout the race, the ending was chaotic. The last mile for the marathon runners was ridiculous - having to battle their way through shoppers and even running down steps!

Despite pre-race briefing, the finish for half marathon runners was equally messy and the stewards were not properly informed. All runners had to dodge shoppers, dogs and children whilst trying to work out how and when to finish. Definitely a problem to be sorted out next year - won't be returning to this race otherwise.

Many thanks to the lady driving the bus that took half marathon runners to Pembroke. Thankfully she stayed with us, giving runners access to their bags and warmth. Thanks also to the Castle staff and cafe. Otherwise there would have been a lot of cold disgruntled runners left at the roadside to wait 2 hours for the start of their race.

The course is good but very challenging - fantastic scenery.
  • This was my first marathon and I wasn’t prepared for all those hills. I had seen the elevation details on the website but seeing it on paper isn’t the same as running it. To have a serious hill at two mile was took too much energy before I was fully warmed up. The next stretch was very scenic. I went through Pembroke five minutes before the start of the half. The guys waiting there really gave me a boost. But it’s quite disheartening for them to all run past minutes later. After the half way point it was just hill after hill. A steep climb to get to the finish ; lots of public support but then to be told I had to do another mile uphill towards the bandstand was horrendous for those of us already struggling!! Not only that; but there were rude and ignorant shoppers who were walking in front of me oblivious to the race. They were not cordoned off on this part of the race.

Absolutely ridiculous!! I had to barge my way through!!

The route was well marshalled; but the roads were not closed off completely. I was nearly run over by a cyclist at one point. The traffic was not stopped entering Tenby making life difficult.

I don`t think I will go out of my way to run this marathon again unless there are some drastic route improvements!!

On a positive note Fantastic weather, great support from fellow runners.

• Hi guys,  I had a great first marathon, the route was incrediby tough and I hit the wall at mile 20 but did manage to recover at about mile 22.  finished it in 4 hours 6 minutes.  well chuffed.  I agree with some of the comments, there was definately a mix up with the bib colours but over all I had a great day and am chuffed to bits that I finished!!

• i did the full mara and must admit i found the last mile a bit confusing but i really injoyed the day brill course and excellant pre snowdonia marathon training.did the llanelli marathon in april and that wasnt a match for this one.and a big thx to iron8 for letting me know last wk that i could still enter last minute. will definately be back next year big thx.