Options

The Wales Marathon

Comments

• Options

Great day out and a fantastic race. As i am from the area i knew what to expect in terms of the hills but it was still a tough challenging run.....and why not? whats wrong with a challenge?

I thought the finish around castle Hill was a stroke of genius , just when i was on my chinstrap there was another hill to run! I absolutely laughed my socks off...from my perspective i didn't think the finish was chaotic, i was clearly told that the full marathoners had to run on to castle hill  and back so no gripes on that issue from me.

The medal was excellent and definitely one that i will treasure but the one thing that would have improved the experience was a goody bag at the end for £30 a banana and sports drink would not have gone a miss.

All in all a fantastic experience and cant wait to do it all again next year!

Thanks for everybodies hard work.

• Options
    Agree with all comments - great event and well organised until the end which was a bit chaotic -last thing you need to be doing at end of marathon is trying to work out here to go. One club mate doing the marathon was directed into finish without doing the extra loop so as you can guess he was not overly happy afterwards. I think it  would be better if the mileage of the loop at the end could be included earlier in race and then race could simply finish in the square making things a lot less complicated.
  • Options

Just turned 40, 1st marathon, 1st race, managed 3:47. Loved every bit of it. I was running for MARIE CURIE (some of you that I overtook on the 1st half will have been rightly smug when you passed my hunched, cramping sweaty form between mile 16 and 22 ).

The course was hilly but then, it was the wales marathon after all. I wouldn't expect to go mountaineering in Lincolnshire!

Glad it was hard, Glad the finish was so painful, feel like I earned the medal. Massive thanks to everyone that helped on the day and to all the other guys out there punishing yourselves for a bit of tin on a ribbon. lots of inspirational characters out there (rosie and the long course guys to name a few).

Back next year for sure, how about some hot coals or a bed of nails at the finish. cheers all.

• Options
    About 30 hours later and the results STILL not posted on Activity Wales Events website ........
  • Options
    Give them a break. We all want results asap but i still remember the days when you were lucky to get any results never mind geting them in the first couple of days. The organisers must have had a rather long weekend with different events spread over the 3 days and no doubt results will be there soon.
  • Options

Got my time, it's 50 mins over what my garmin says (and the clock on the church) so I don't quite trust it.

If anyone that finished around the 3:47 .37sec mark gets a position for the full and reads this, can you post it so that I can work out where I finished. ta.

I wonder who my photo's will be of ???

• Options
    Well what can i say, this was my 5th marathon and really i should have expected it to be hilly (Well it was in Wales) but i must admit I cried like a baby at 16 miles and I was convinced that my time would me measured on calender, this course must have been mapped by a Royal MARINE!!!

All said though I am glad I did this marathon and only 8 or so minutes off PB which I am really proud of because the course was like nothing I had run before! the road sign at 2 mile was a nice touch....14% incline warning triangle as it gave us a clue as what was to
    come image

The course stewards and officials were so good, it was as if each of them Had a personal wish for you to do well and they really made the route safe and secure loads of water, energy drink, sweets bananas, i was convinced i would get a full sunday roast at mile 20!

Scenery was breathtaking, medal was nice, and the public cheered you like you was a long lost son!!!!

This marathon was designed for Giants and this morning I feel like I could tackle the world,

THANK YOU WALES!
  • Options

does anyone know how many entered the Marathon?

It would be interesting to see where I came in relation to the amount of runners.

• Options
    Its all very well giving the organisers a break etc im sympathetic to it being the first one  but and its a big but, the organisers kept saying it maybe our first but we have organised lots of other events we did pay either £30 or £25 for a chip timed marathon and from the sound of it re Running Rigger they got it wrong with a chip!!!  I havent checked my result yet but I know on the day my partner was astounded when it was announced that i was coming in at 3 40 something I am a 4 20 to 4 30 runner he thought Id been drinking red bull and grown wings!!   It wasnt me I did 4 30 well by my watch anyway image
  • Options
    ..got my time on the website and it was spot on to the second shown on my Garmin.
  • Options
    Hello all
    This is my first post and this was my first marathon, what a lot of hills ! I did 3:38 which I am delighted with;I agree with those who are saying the finish was a little chaotic.Why not just finish in the square?
    Other than that very well organised and supported.Does anyone know who the people filming the race were? Hopefully there will be bit on TV somewhere or a DVD?

Thanks all
  • Options
    Running Rigger - mine was 1.45.20 and 61st position out of about 181 finishers for the marathon. If that helps?
  • Options
    Smurf - can i ask where you got the full listing as i can only see where you can search on individual names or bib number and i would like to get a full lisitng for the marathon
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    braveface hi what distance should up on your garmin.thx
  • Options
    I just searched blank or just a common letter like 'a'... There isn't a list I'm aware of
  • Options
    Smurf, did you mean 3:45??? Cheers.
  • Options

Powell1,

I am glad you brought this up as my Garmin 405cx showed 25.73 miles?!?!

How about yours?

• Options
    my garmin shows 25.7?????
  • Options
    Mine shows 25.82.......add a bit on for goinging up and down those hills and you'r probably there or there abouts.
  • Options
    cheers smurf, used your search method, found the girl that finished in front of me and now recon I was 67th of 181 finishers. well happy!!!!!
  • Options

Glad i never entered this race now, i had a suspicious feeling about it right from the start when they publicised it would be a 'huge event' attracting top athletes with big prizes on offer !!!  I heard a lot of negative comments from friends that did make the trip down west and even during the run up to the race i constantly tried to get in touch with the race organisers to find out about the 'prizes' and prize categories, but got no response, i then heard from another runner this morning that they awarded the 3rd lady finisher a 'paperweight'  LOL , how tight fisted is that ??? 

Also tried to find out what they considered as an 'elite' entry to this race, but got no response there either, not that it made a lot of difference as only 3 runners went under 3 hrs !!!

Well done to all those who completed what was a scenic, and tough marathon course (according to my sources), my commiserations to those who did not get the correct finish times and got involved in the mix-up near the finish , and to those that didn't manage to get on the half marathon bus to be transported to the half-marathon race start.

• Options

Yeah 3.45! Lol - 1.45 - Haile might have something to say about that! 

To add, my Garmin said 25.7 for the course too but I'm having it?!!

• Options
    I'd keep it quiet as regards the GARMIN distances too  image   Garmins are usually out about 1-2%, and normally measure in excess of the 26.2 miles, but i've never known them to measure less than the actual race distance.  Blackpool marathon had a similar issue a couple of years ago, and erm.., the end result wasn't in the runners best interests ! 
  • Options

My legs said 26!

What happened in Blackpool?

• Options

The results didn't stand, UKA got a course measurer involved after a few runners reported it was 'short', but i can't remember how short it actually was ??? 

I wouldn't worry about it too much, maybe there was a problem with picking up signals on the GPS, besides at Blackpool there were a considerable amount of sub 3 hr finishers which made it look very suspicious in comparison to previous years results !

Hopefully the issues at this years race will be sorted out in the future, every new marathon has its problems, so i suppose you have to give the race organisers benefit of the doubt in some respects, but for me it was the lack of communication pre-race, and the poor clarity of prizes, (ok, i know most runners aren't there for the prizes, but its a long way to travel and put in the hard training if you're only going to get a glass paperweight at the end of it, not to mention the costly entry fee of £30, which is more than the London Marathon).   

• Options
    Yeap I agree.  Although, I'm never with a chance to win a prize - a paperweight?!!  Surely the prizes have to improve in order to attract more elite, competitive athletes thus grow the event? Especially with all the money that has been made!
  • Options

It's such a shame that they've made a mess with the results... I was gutted to find out that I was wrongly directed at Tenby, only to find out that the last mile completely unnecessary for the half marathon, but then I thought at least I'd be able to work out my real 'finish' time.... However, it now seems that the chip results are a disaster as well as I'm down as having completed the full marathon sub-4 hours! What a mess!!

I thought that the event was well organised, and the course itself was great even though it was a difficult one with all the hills!  The arrangements in Tenby were all over the place though....Such a shame... without all these problems I think it could be agreat event.  I hope they can sort a few things out with this years results, and make better arrangements for next year....

• Options
    It was actually a 'glass paperweight'  LOL   they usually give things like that to runners who just finish regardless of times or positions !!  Thats probably why some of the 'faster runners' stayed away from this event because they couldn't get a positive response from the race organisers about prizes either. I've run in smaller low-key events costing much much less than what they actually charged for this race and walked off with £50 (and thats just an age category prize, not even top 3 finish).  You're right in what you say, if they offer decent incentives they'll attract more top runners which in turn will promote a more competitive atmosphere, no runner likes to be out in front on their own for hours on end !
  • Options

The half measured correct, no issues there from my side but my chip time was 19 seconds slower than my garmin time which is odd, there was no chip mat at the half start, only at the finish which clearly is the reason.

I finished 4th in the half and assumed there was no prize for 4th? !

• Options
    Was it actually affiliated though?