Leicester Marathon

Comments

• Morning all

Martin /KR glad the training is still going well the shin split seems to be getting there but i think i will leave it till Monday or Tuesday of next week

the trouble is the lock came of the  biscuit tin and i have gained some weight so  i will have to make a concert effort to lose it again over the next three weeks if i can get down to about 12st 4lbs i will be happy as that’s about my normal weight to race at  

The tennis ball and the exercise seem to be helping but i am under no elution now about how long this is going to take to fix after all if i had done some ting about it when it first occurred back last year instead of ignoring it then it might not have been so bad

it started while running the bath half last year but as i only planed to run the Bristol 10k and half that year thought nothing of it as it seem to ease off but the training for Brighton and Leicester this year has done all the damage and i did have to run walk a couple of my training run for Brighton due to my hip

And at one time even thought i may have to have pulled out of that so i have learnt the hard away so here's hoping by Monday i can start with a nice gentle run and build up from there

the trouble is i just to stubborn and b***** mined to rest when i should do
  • Toby3 - It's good that your shins are starting to feel better.  However, don't rush it.  It's better that you take it slow and do a slow time at Leicester instead of trying too much too soon and missing out.  Keep doing your tennis ball exercises and you'll make it.  And keep those fingers out of the biscuit tin!!!!!!

Another 4.5 miles today at a more steady and constant 6:39 pace.  All miles ran between 6:35 and 6:45 pace with no sprint at the end as my legs felt quite heavy as have ran every day this week.  Tomorrow is a rest day and then my final long run on Saturday morning.

• I think I'm going to have to hide our biscuit tin or at least get some crap biscuits!

Fast 4.5 miles last night at 6.28 pace, which I was happy with as I feel my mojo is coming back!
    Going to try another 10 miler tonight and try to get under 70 minutes with a blast up New Walk near the end. Then Sunday evening want to get a 14 miler done to finish off the week.

Hope you can get back to some running next week Toby - remember to ease back into it and try and not make up for lost time.

Enjoy your holiday Martin - are you going anywhere hot & sunny?

• K/R - Good to hear that you are starting to enjoy it again.  It's never nice having to struggle through runs, especially when you know that you are unwell and know you have a race coming up.  Your sessions this week have been really good so you should now be looking towards Leicester much more positvely.

I go to Egypt for a week next Wednesday.  It's just a week chilling in the sun with a bit of snorkelling and not much else.  However, due to the timing of it I am taking my trainers and hoping to run 3-4 miles every other day.  Jo likes to spend her time asleep on a sunbed so I have plenty of time to go running.  The only thing stopping me will be that we are All-Inclusive, have the options of way too much food and that I do like to have a beer while relaxing.  

So basically just wanting to keep my legs turning over and not putting too much weight on in the meantime.  However, the purpose is to relax as we have both been really busy recently with work.

Long run of 13-15 miles on Saturday, including New Walk, then probably a short run Monday and club run Tuesday before we go.  Then just one weekend when I get back before Leicester so probably just 8-10 miles and a few short swift runs as I think I'll have enough miles in the tank by then.

• All inclusive's are good and bad at the same time. What did me on honeymoon was the breakfasts. I'd have loads, bacon, sausages, beans, toast, croisants maybe a danish… I think you get the picture. I think after 2 weeks of big breakfasts and beer I put on a stone.

Resting up for a week will do your body good and if can go out a couple of times that will keep things ticking over. Enjoy your break.

• martin havea good holiday
  • Morning all

hope everyone’s weekend went well  i will be back up to Leicester next weekend as we have to take the daughter back to university  shine splint seems to have gone so i will try a gentle run on Tuesday as i am back to the phyiso on Monday and won’t have time

Feeling old now as my son turns 16 this month so were off out 10 pin bowling and a meal later today it’s a bit early his birthdays not until the end of the month but we are now a way the next 3 weekends and he wanted to do something while his sister was still down here bless his little cotton socks

And what with the daughter now 22 looking back can only wish i started running years ago but hay ho was young and lazy then

Starting this weekend i am going to try and lose the weight i put on but as i said before when it comes to food i have no will power at all so we will see how that goes ?

Tried on my Brighton T-Shirt fits nicely but there a gain i did order and extra large so looking forward to wearing that on my first run

• Morning All,

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  For me it was just over 14 miles on Saturday morning.  The first 13.2 ran at 6:42 pace and then almost a mile cooldown.  I ran a hilly route as well as the length of New Walk between miles 9 & 10.  Weather was clear and cool, a beautiful morning.  Let's hope it is like that on the day.

Toby3 - Age is just a number.  You are only as old as you act!!!!!

K/R - Food is certainly my downfall on all-inclusives.  As is the lack of exercise as usually go from being very active to sitting on a sun lounger all day.  Especially in Egypt as not much around to do.

Just two more runs now before holiday.

• toby - I think a lot of runners are of the older kind (Vets) that you see in races. You only have to look down the results to see the age groups. Remember to ease back into it this week.

Good run from you Martin. I don't think that New Walk is that bad really, it's just a  gradual climb really. I reckon you should be on for a good time with the good times you have been doing in races & training. I think you'll get low 20's - 1.23.xx!

A good week for me last week getting in 40 miles in all. I did a fast 10 miles on Friday night in 68.15 @ 6.48 pace, then last night I managed 15 miles at a slower pace of 7.45, but continous and no stopping. Feel it in my legs though this morning. Rest tonight and then some more reps tomorrow hopefully.

• Morning all

Well fates are conspiring just when i thought i be back running have now come down with a sinker of a cold

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry just needed that

Weekend went well the ten pin bowling was great fun and the meal after words was nice the boy enjoyed himself which was all that mattered

Will still try a run tomorrow as the colds all in my head at the moment and not on my chest

Glad you are both still well and that your training is going that well

K/R 40 miles in 1 week oh i can only dream of putting in that sort of mileage well done

Martin as for only being as old as you feel and acting according to the kids that would make me 12

• Toby3 - 12 is a good age to be.  My wife tells me that men don't mature after the age of 14 anyway (and sometimes I have to believe her!!!!).   You should be ok with running with a slight cold as long as you take it easy.  Don't push yourself too much as it would be better for you to have to walk part of Leicester instead of not doing it at all.  You'll get there.  You could always bring your trainers with you next weekend and have a bit of a run around Victoria Park and New Walk to get used to the finish.

K/R - Excellent week for you.  Back on form then. Is that your longest week now or are you planning the same again this week?     I'm not getting too hung up on a time yet.  I don't usually set myself a rigid target until the day, but at the moment have two goals in mind.  First is a PB (currently standing at 1:27:2x).  If I don't do that I'll be disappointed.  I'd also like to run sub 1:25 but we'll see how I get on when I get back from holiday.  1:23 would be nice but wouldn't be disappointed with anything under 1:25.

32 miles for me last week.  That will be my longest.  4 miles for me at lunch today at 6:24 pace. 

• Hi Guys, Glad to see most of you are all ok, sorry to read about your injury woes and now a cold Toby ! All going ok with me, gradually got myself up to some longer runs 16-18 miles without too many worries. Question for you all as I notice you are posting times and average pace figures. I currently have a Timex Ironman watch which for 5 years has caused me no problem, excellent battery life, accuracy and size, however it has started to turn itself off mid run and as I have a birthday coming up before Octobers marathon im looking at treating myself to a new GPS watch. The equivalent Timex is now £250 !! - oh how times have changed (no pun intended), I'm looking at the Garmin FR110 as its fairly small compared to the square Garmin 205 and 305 versions (I have small wrists), and i can't really justify the price of the 405CX. Just interested to know if you use a GPS watch and if so which ones and any recommendations. Thanks
  • ps - i've read numerous gps reviews on this and other sites, but wanted some thoughts from real people (that's you lot!). Budget of around £150.
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

OMG. How fast are you lot?

I'll still be running while you're tucking into your sunday roast. I like to get value for money.

• Hi Runner888 - I would thoroughly recommend the Garmin 405.  I don't have the CX version.  I think the CX locks onto the satellites quicker than mine, but for the extra expense I can wait 30 seconds.

I used to run with just a digital watch but I finally took the plunge two years ago and got the 405 and love it.  I don't know how I coped without it.  I got it from Amazon for about £180. From looking again recently I think they are still around the same price as most people go for the 405CX. I don't know much about the other Garmins.

• XB - Just remember that the slower you are the more people will be there to cheer you on when you finish!!!!!
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

Or they'll all have gone home.

And I know I'm much fitter than the speedy ones because I can keep going for 5 hours or more. I'll be targetting 4:45 for this one after a rather woeful 5hrs at Robin Hood.

• Robin Hood is tougher I believe and the “half” part of the Leicester course is pretty flat - good luck.

Runner888 - I've also got a 405 and swear by it snd sometimes at it. Although brilliant, the biezel control can be very tempremental when it's slightly damp, or you have very sweaty fingers. I'd be lost without it though as it gives very good statistics of all the runs I've done and the garmin connect facility whereyou can download your runs and see the google map of the route just done, pace, lap times etc is brilliant.

But then I've never had a Timex so I can't compare the 2.

• XB welcome don’t fret were not all that fast on here i beginning to think that Martin and K/R are part gray hound and part whippet

i was going to do the full marathon but due to injury have had to drop down to the half i am hoping for a time anything from 2hrs to 2hrs 30min but realistically just want to get around as i have now not run for 2 weeks

I ran Brighton this year and got around in 4:14:56 and my fastest time for a half was set at bath and stands at 1:52:21

So like you i will still be going when they at home with their feet up

Runner 888 glad you are well and the training is going fine must admit i am gutted about not being able to do the full one but i have miss so much training now it was not realistic to even try my be next year sorry can’t help you with the watch thing as all i use is a standard sports watch

Martin i am going to try a small run today just to see how i go physio has recommended run one day and rest the next but he did not look happy when i said i was going to try a run

May well bring the trainers with me as that sounds like a good idea so if anyone is around on Saturday morning and feels like a run let me know and we can see if we could arrange to meet up

• Afternoon all

Well just back from my first run in 2 weeks did a nice gentle 5 miles which took me about 50 minutes not including the time i stopped at the turn around point to stretch

I did the exercise the phyiso had given me before i set off and they seem to help as it was the freest i been able to run in a long time

there were still one or two niggles the especially from the shine splint  which i was excepting as i still know it’s going to take a while to get me back to full heath but nothing half as bad as it had been

Will rest tomorrow and go out again on Thursday and may continue to train up until Leicester and then have a full rest up until Christmas that way i am hoping i will be in a better shape to train for Brighton next year

but we will have to see as i don’t  know whether i can go that long without a run or i my rejoin the gym so i can go swimming on a regular bases just to keep the fitness levels up

meant to say well done to everyone that ran the GNR over the weekend must try that one year just so i can say i run it

• Afternoon all

Resting up today surprisingly the leg are a lot stiffer that i thought they be today will go out for a run tomorrow

I am defiantly going to bring the run gear with me when we come up on Friday night and go out for a run early Saturday so that i can go back to the hotel and shower up before we come home we are staying at the holiday express

i will need to work out how to get to Victoria park and look up new walk but am hoping that the daughter will know she should do as she has now been in Leicester 4 years and is now finally  entering her final year after having to swap courses

So this will be the last year that we have to run up and down the motorway 4 or 5 times a year to collect her

It would be nice to put faces to the name so maybe we can arrange to meet up before the race or if anyone is interested the day before which is what some of us did when i ran Brighton let me know your thoughts on the subject

Martin have a good holiday if you haven’t already left and if you have then i hope your holiday went well

• Afternoon all  

Just a quick post

Will try another run today then rest again tomorrow

• Hi Toby - would be good to meet up before the race - will PM you nearer the time.

Victoria Park is not too far from the Holiday Inn Express - you're on the right side of town!
    I'm sure they will point you in the right direction at the hotel. New Walk is an old pedestrianised street  that goes form the city centre all the way up to Victoria Park. Origianally, Victoria Park was built and used for horse racing and New Walk has got loads of very beautiful houses & architecture and was built so the gentry of the day could eaily get there from the centre. It is also where the local Muesuem is complete with full size dinosuars! Thing is you probably will miss most of the buildings when you get to the end of the half marathon as it will be head down and get yourself up that hill!

Hope the run goes well today.

• Morning all

Managed 5 miles yesterday run on the treadmill luck i did it had been raining on and of all afternoon i did debate whether to go out for a run in the end decide to use the treadmill just as well i got in to the last mile and the havens open up outside to say a would have been a drown rat would have been an under statement

Someone was smiling on me yesterday

The run itself went ok struggled a bit but as it only the 2 run i am not going to worry to much at the moment

K/R I look forward to meeting you

• Have just entered to do this, does any one know of any decent hotels close to the start?

Ta

• Hi Not quite a hare - There is a holiday Inn express by the football ground and a Premier Inn & an Ibis by the train station, so plenty of choice. - Good luck.

Are you doing the full or the half?

• Am doing the marathon, doing loch ness on Oct 3rd.  This is the first time that I had done one sort of back to backish!  Did the this one last year and enjoyed it !

Hopefully the weather will be okish!

• Blimey, 1 week rest in between 2 marathons - are you mad?
    Hope your legs recover though in time.

Got my race pack & number through yesterday for the Half marathon - 6252.
    Only 2 weeks to go now. Last LSR this Sunday, probably going to try another 14/15 miles depending on the route. Might even run the half marathon route again.

• KR - This is the first time that I have tried it so the legs will tell as they say!

Got last LR on sunday 10 miles.  Did the Great North last sunday and it seems to have caught up with me 2day, feeling a bit tyred!  Oh well nmind.

I like the course gentle but challenging enough as they say!  Will keep my image  out for you on the half.