Leicester Marathon

Comments

• K/R - How was the film and the champagne last night?   I've been keeping it lose during the day.  Hard with a desk job but have been walking arounda s much as possible.  I'm also in the middle of a load of redecorating at home so that has kept me moving in the evenings.

I think I'm going to be ok for Sunday as it feels the same as it did just before the Huncote 5 in August and I ran well then. 

I also fall into the carb-loading folk as I believe that the more energy your muscles get beforehand the better.  Nothing like marathon carb-loading but just more carb-rich food from Thursday night to Saturday lunchtime.

• Martin - I thought the film was okay considering it has had a few bad reviews. It's strange to sit through a film with no special effects/explosions or CGI and just have good old acting to keep it going. I thought Michael Douglas was good in his role - cool as a cucumber as usual. It may well be his last film?

Make sure you have a break from decorating at the weekend. I remember tiling the floor of the downstairs toilet the other year the day before a race and the next morning my legs were really tight from all that kneeling down - another lesson learnt!

Today I am mostly eating, fig rolls, scones, red skin peanuts and bananas!

• Hi - There's a bit more info on the Leicester marathon website now regarding parking, press releases and numbers of entrants 3,300!! so far. Good luck everybody.
    http://www.leicestermarathon.org.uk/marathon
  • Thanks Runner888.  Good Luck.

K/R - I'm hoping to have it all finished tonight apart from a bit of tidying.  I'm trying to do as little as possible tomorrow but not sure if the other half will let me get away with that!!!!!

My diet today has mainly consisted of bagels (3 so far), bananas, porridge and oat bars (quite alot of oats in there)!!!!

• Martin H wrote (see)

My diet today has mainly consisted of bagels (3 so far), bananas, porridge and oat bars (quite alot of oats in there)!!!!

Have you stocked up on bog roll!?

Should be a lot of runners this year, where did you see the 3,300 number Runner888?

• This is from 'The Marathon' link on the website:

Leicester Marathon organisers are giving their support to Sunday's 'We Are One Leicester' by inviting runners to wear lime green ribbons.

Around 3,300 runners are registered to take part in the event, which begins at 9.15am.

Before they line-up for the starter's pistol, event staff will be offering pin-badges and lime green ribbons to runners.

• With all of the oats I'm eating I don't think I'll need too much bog roll for a few days!!!!!

There were alot of people in town at lunchtime handing out leaflets for the "We Are One Leicester" event.  It looks like a peace vigil tonight and then a peace concert on Sunday.  Quite ironic that it is sandwiching the EDL/Anti-Facism fight on Saturday!!!!!  Not sure if that is intentional or not?

• Cheers Runner88 - didn't look at the press relese part. I think the green ribons is all to do with the EDL/Anti facist protest in Leicester on Staurday. It won't effect the marathon on Sunday, but the council are promoting this green symbol as a sign of peace idea with street lights being turend green?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-11499038

• I think it's a good idea to have a peace concert this weekend as there are going to be alot of issues arising from the EDL/Anti-Facist protests.  Leicester has been multi-cultural for so long that it really doesn't need either of these to be going on.

I like the idea of turning the street lights green.

• Martin H wrote (see)

I like the idea of turning the street lights green.

Wonder if they will be on when we run pass them?
  • Would be quite cool, especially if the weather is as dull as it is this afternoon!!!!

• HI all, just spent some time reading through the recent posts - I did this last marathon last year and really enjoyed it, doing it again this year - I'm up for the green ribbons! Looking forward to a couple of cream cakes (who says carbo-loading is boring). Been busy at work so not had too much time to worry about this marathon - but nerves starting to kick in!!!!! Hope you are all well and see you on Sunday.

• Evening all

well we got here now sat in the hotel room I like the idea of the green ribbon the uni has warned all the students to avoid the city centre on Saturday according to the daughter

As for the carb loading had jacket  potatoes Tuesday and pasta Wednesday and Thursday

I like to say a big thanks to martin and Knight rider and runner 888 for all there support over the last few months i sorry the tread did not take off it just been the four of us with the occasional pop in by other people But hay as i said before we got there and one good thing has come out of it at least martin has found a running club to join and made a new friend in K/R

Jayne welcome

• I'm staying at the campanile tonight somewhere in the centre - does anyone know how bad the road closures are like today ?
  • HI all,

Only managed one cream cake so far, but huge helping of profiteroles for this evening!!!! Hope you are all chilled and relaxed and looking forward to tomorrow. Travelling down with hubby in the morning so might get chance to look at the thread tonight to see what you have all been up to today. Have a great evening and hopefully get a chance to meet ssome of you all in the morning - good luck

• Afternoon all

Well took the car back this morning and then went to Victoria pack and found a place to meet the wife and daughter after the race and found a couple of cheer points

Then back to the hotel and spent the day by the pool being to wonder if it will take place with all the violence that went on and still hearing police sirens

Will they have time to set things up

I am going to have a look at the Leicester web site to see if there’s any news

As for meeting up there are 2 sets of fences one green and one silver fence could meet between the 2 by the set of lights on the corner

• Hi All,

Well my knee held up and I managed a PB of 1:22.57 (watch time).  I'm very very pleased with that as was really aiming to run sub 1:25.  My wife said that I came in the top 25 (not confirmed that) so very happy.

I thought that the course was very well  marshalled apart from a few stray people wandering around on New Walk almost getting in the way.  Excellent race and will hopefully do it again next year.

I'm now sat at home, just about to have a fried egg sandwich and a beer.

Toby3 - Sorry I missed you at the start but I had to find a toilet and by the time I got to where I think you meant I couldn't see you.  I hope that the race went well for you.

• hi all race went ok struggled towardsthe end left calf muscle locked up tight  but kept going got round in 2:02;34 so not to bad a little disappointed as at one stage it look like i was on for a sub 2hr

Loved the route some nice scenery with the lakes and canal made a nice change from running though streets

just a couple of things let it down not shore about running when you have traffic coming the other way and the only thing keeping you apart is someone shouting keep left

And the water stations were too few and far between and cups no give me bottles any day

Martin don’t worry about it may be next year wife said she saw you just after the start and you were about 10 from the front and again on the way back apparently went by about 30 minutes before I did

• Well done Toby3.  2:02 is a very good time considering the injury problems you've had.  Good luck with the marathon training for Brighton next year.   You've got a good base fitness level now and as long as you listen to your body (and physio) then you should be looking at a new PB.
  • I'm back over in the NW - but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed today and thought the marshals were outstanding - so kind, friendly and enthusiastic!

It was a bit scorchio, wasn't it?
  • HI all - sounds like everyone has had a good. Managed 4:10 not a happy bunny as desperate for a sub-4 (done 4hrs 2 mins earlier in year - oh well que sera sera).  Marshalls were brill, as always I try to thanks to as many as possible - Ice cream van at the end was most appreciated - I managed2 lemondae on the bounce so - it was definately a hot one! Back home had a cavery - people stare at my plate piled high!!!! and mangaged a choc pudding as well.  No doubt we will catch up on other forums. Happy resting -we deserve a couple of days off and roll on the next marathon!!!
  • Hi all - haven't been on this thread before - think I was in denial!

did the full marathon today  and thought it was a fab race - great marshalls and lots of support - although for us slower runner, running through the town centre with people eating their lunch was a bit embarrasing

a PB for me and I really enjoyed it image

Martin - that is a brilliant time!

• Good running folks-have a good rest and a beer tonight!

Brer

• Great event I thought - well organised and a nice route. Top marshalling too - especially the guy who was being driven at by a psycho 4*4 driver with his wife screaming at the guy. What excitement !

Hope the peel runner guy who fainted at mile 23 was ok in the end ? A few of us stayed with him til st johns arrived to check him over. Bugger to go out so close to the finish.
  • Not fab LB - er had tummy issues - so after a few loo stops - I wasn't going to make my GFA target. And after spending about 20 mins making sure the downed runner was going to be ok - I ambled in over 4 hours. Still hurt though !
    I did get a sun tan from the day - not bad for october !
  • What a nice marathon! The scenery, support and marshaling were all excellent. Back injury played up and did 4.07 but it was a great day. Well done everybody!
  • Well done on your PB Martin - you really deserve it.

Glad you managed to make it round alright Toby3, are you going to do the full one next year?

Had a tough race and thought I was on a target pace but faded in the last half of the race - one of those days I guess when it just didn't happen. Still pleased to hang to get 1.29.01 - another sub 90 minutes but a tough one.

Glad everyone else enjoyed their runs, it's a good race although there were a few twists and turns around the underpass near the end which were unpleasant.

• Hi all sounds like a good time had by all, I scraped in at 3hrs 59mins and 34 seconds, very please considering the weather. Felt great until 19 miles then hit 'The Wall' - blimey I fell to pieces and the last 7 miles were absolute agony, especially going through all those bars and restraunts and seeing some of the quicker running already drinking beer, however I did manage a sort of ministry of silly walks kind of sprint over the line. Very well organised, a bit lonely out in the countryside but will do it again next year. (did anyone else find it difficult walking downstairs this morning ? - I'm considering buying a bungalow!!

I saw a few people getting some medical assistance in Abbey Park - I hope everyone got home safely, and thanks to all those who passed me in the last few miles and gave me some much needed encouragement, especially the girl in the tightest pink shorts I have ever seen.