It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
laura H - yep I know, we had to cancel our race last year and I dealt with the refunds and postings on here saying we took the decision too early - glad to say once we posted pic of the ice people soon changed their tune - I have fingers and everthing else crossed that we do not have to go down that road again.
If i was due to run Luton agree I would also be disappointed - peeved of I can't get out to run except at the gym which I'll have to do tomorrow.
Shell7 wrote (see)
....I am going to do 3 laps of Richmond Park instead on Sunday - think its about 23 miles altogether so if anyone fancies joining me I will be there at Richmond Hill Gate at 10am. Im probably not as fast as the rest of you - so not expecting anyone to run at my snails pace of 11.5 minute miles - but knowing there are other Lutoners in the Park is good!........
OH NO!!!!! I have just read through all the posts again - and there I was being the optimist and then two seconds later I get an email saying it was cancelled. I hope I didn't jinx it!
I'm so gutted for everyone who wanted/needed to do this race for personal goals/sponsorship etc. It was to be my 13th marathon....... I should have known.....do you think I can jump straight to 14?!
When I emailed this morning I hadn't been outside. The ice has remained on the pavements and some minor roads all day here so it may well be as bad as they say in Luton. I really feel for the organisers - what a tough call. It's always worse when it's a marathon too as the whole training programme is so long, it's not like you've just put in a few weeks prep for a 5k or a 10k, this has dominated our lives for months...... but I understand.
Good luck to everyone in finding alternatives if they need them - take it easy today.
Luton hasn't been bad but still two days of low temperatures to come. Also much of the course is outside Luton and it can be more affected by icy conditions
Also some of you might not know but two years ago (or was it three) on a day when the ice was not as bad as now, a car came down through Streetley, lost control on ice and over-turned on the route. It was about 10 minutes before the start which was delayed before finally having to give in and cancel the event. So the organisers are very aware of the issues.
I take the point on cross country, I am hopefully running one myself tomorrow but these tend to be run by club runners whereas the mass runs have a lot of recreational runners who are less experienced in the conditions. Also frozen grass is still easier to run on than frozen pavements in my experience.
I think they are also taking in account the conditions elsewhere for people travelling. In theory easy to come up from Brighton through London but the trains aren't running on the southern half at the moment due to horrendous conditions down there. If you are local you want them to delay a decision to as late as possible but if you are travelling then you want to know earlier.
Although not a direct organiser I am with one of the local clubs and in a moment of madness had offered to set up the start/finish early on Sunday so there is a part of me which is probably pleased.... but only a small part - honest
GUTTED! -but not as gutted if I'd broken my leg slipping on the ice
This was to be my first ever marathon and have put in a lot of miles and sacrificed a lot of beer (stag nights, weddings etc) so I'm rather disappointed. Still, hopefully I can keep up the fitness levels through xmas (doubtful) and sign up for one early next year. Was looking at Gloucester - anyone done this one???
Sean G wrote (see)
I live about 15 miles from Luton. The forecast for my local area is for snow on both Saturday and Sunday. Yes, your local areas may be getting better but it looks like we are going to get what most of the country has already had.Councils are not going to bust a gut to grit and salt roads in the early hours of Sunday morning. Driving to the start could be very very dangerous.They may include statements about "running at your own risk" but that type of statement is not worth the paper its written on. Yes, if you trip over your own shoe lace but no if the course is not "fit for purpose". Its a mass organised event, they cannot wash their hands of their responsibility to the people taking part and if the course is expected to covered in snow or icy then they have to be responsible.A tough call and I am as disappointed as the rest of you but not surprised. It was going to be my 19th marathon of the year. The weather is always a big risk with regards to winter marathons/running.Better to know sooner than later.
I live about 15 miles from Luton. The forecast for my local area is for snow on both Saturday and Sunday. Yes, your local areas may be getting better but it looks like we are going to get what most of the country has already had.
The Anti - coach -
There is a free post envelope for the chip so it won't cost anything to post back but I agree, the tone of the demand was a bit off. I would like to have at least had a 'we will of course role over your entry for next year for free'. Things like this do happen from time to time but it would have been nice to feel like the paying customer I am. Some one has asked the question on the forum on the website so maybe there will be a response on that.
Madlot wrote (see)
Thank you Dave.Right, I'm with you Laura, I'd like do another before the end of the year but Bournmouth is too far and I plan on being extremely unfit on new years eve. Any others?
Thank you Dave.
laura H wrote (see)
Right, I need another marathon to do before the end of the year, have commited to do at least one a year and Luton was it due to injury earlier in year. DOn't want this to be the first year since 2003 that I haven't run one, was to be number 10 for me. Really don't want to treck over to Liverpool on New Years Eve and haven't the dosh to go abroad, anyone know of anything?
Have more or less decided that its going to be the Liverbird mara on NYE. Think its too late to do the postal thing given we have had no post here for a week and no ones sure what the weathers gonna do, thanks for posting it though, looks nice.
Am off to Luton tomorow after all that, still going to visit my pal for the weekend with the train tickets already got - really hope when I get there it snows really bad and then I will feel better. If its sunny and clear I will cry .
Hi our club Boxfit-Tri are doing a run all levels from Vauxhall Rec Luton near M1.Leaving at 10am couple hours run then back for lunch.All our marathon people are running all welcome to join us.See our web site for my info www.boxfit.org.uk
We have all levels running about 20 of us plus couple of bikes.
sad, but were safe
i was looking forward to the event, it would most probably have been 2 laps this time as i dont feel great, and then we'd have visited Mrs Mick in hospital at Chalfont st Peter on way home
so, it's going to be a training run somewhere
i remember pushing Phillip around the end of year Buntingford 10 some years ago, it was treacherous all the way, how we got around i dont know
I wasn't going to post, but I am thoroughly depressed today and I suppose this is an opportunity to get some things off my chest.
I am one of the organisers of the Luton Marathon. I have been involved in some capacity or other for six years, and took over the organisation with my wife and some friends from my running club after the 2008 race when the previous organisers decided to step down. Has we not done this, the event would not have continued.
The organisation that goes into this event is huge, and we are all volunteers. The only reason that we do this is because we love running. The decision to cancel that we took was incredibly hard to do, but we had to make a choice, and we had to do it sooner rather than later, based upon all of the information available to us at that time. We are resonsible for the safety and well-being of all of the runners and also all of our wonderful volunteers who give up their time for no reward to marshal, man the drinks stations and deal with all of the other things that need to be done.
Had we decided that we were able to go ahead, we would have started at 9:00 this morning getting everything ready for tomorrow, and would expect that to take all day. Tomorrow would have been a 6:00 start, with an anticipated finish of about 19:00. A day's annual leave has been taken for Monday for what would have been the final clear-up.
I know that everyone involved is very disappointed, and has invested a lot into this race. But we had to make a decision. Races have been refused permission on safety grounds even though they have never experienced any issued (such as the Leighton Buzzard 10). If we let it go ahead, and we did have an accident as a result, we would have put the future of the Luton Marathon in jeopardy.
If we could have guaranteed that the conditions would improve then of course we would have gone ahead. But we couldn't, and neither did we feel we could leave our decision until after a lot of people would have gone to a lot of effort in getting here, possibly for nothing.
Since we made the decision,the disappointment has been so great I have been considering long and hard if I want to carry on doing this. I'm not expecting anyones sympathy, but it is the kind comments here and the e-mails of support that we have received that are making the future of the Luton Marathon more positive.