Am i in the wrong?

2»

Comments

• abso bliddy lutelyimage Did a lot of dead end jobs before I got into education. Might not agree on politics but I can tell you will walk it image
  • CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

Rickster - If the qualification you are going for is either your first full level two (5 GCSEs) or first full level 3 (2 A levels) you might be entitled to one of these

However, I'm not sure that Access to HE courses still qualify as a full level three - you'd need to check here 

Also, be aware that if your mates the Tories get a majority - Adult Education is most definitely one of the areas where the cuts will fall... and will in all probability be quite drastic.

Good luck

• Hey folks went for an interview for the access course and it was really good i got an acceptance on the course.... But i was advised to wait till next year. The tutor said that on the assesment my english was really strong but my mathes was quite weak, she said i would need a mathes gcse which im taking next year along with my english gcse.

The chemistry on the access course has some mathes on it which she feels i would struggle with also given that the access course is very intense and that im doing 2 subjects which i need to pass if i have any chance of being a P.E teacher it would be better to focus on it next year rather then this year.

Slightly dissapointed having to wait another year but it means i can focus on getting an A in english and a C in Mathes, Someone suggested to me to do one or two more gcses if i could to boost my qualifications do you think i should focus on the 2 important ones or boost my c.v further.
  • Whats everyones suggestion?

• CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

Mike - focus on the English and Maths... I've a feeling you'll also need a science GCSE if you want to progress down the teaching PE route - it won't do you any harm to complete this.  I'd not take anything else on apart from this until the access to HE course.

Good luck with it

• I'm taking my Maths and English GCSEs at the moment (exams 2nd week in June). Start access course in September.
  • Are you part time rickster on your gcse courses?

• Yes, I do them in the evenings, but have found out that I could have done my access course without them. But as long as I get at least a grade C in maths and English, I won't have to do the maths and English units on the access course. The maths and English GCSE passes will count as automatic credit passes on the access course.
  • How intense are those courses? Did you feel you could have done an  extra gcse if needed time allowing?
  • Maths, English, IT, and study skills at level 2 (GCSE level) 2 optional subjects at level 3 (A-level standard) but not as intensive as A level. The emphasis of the course is to prepare you for University study.

15 hours a week, so you can still carry on working around it.

Really looking forward to it.image

• I meant how intense are your gcses in english and mathes and would you have been able to do an extra gcse this year if time allowed sorry
  • The GCSEs aren't too intensive. I often work 55 hours a week at work and still find plenty of time to do the coursework and study. It's all about managing your time effectively. How often do you flick through the tv channels and find that nothing is on worth watching, but still watch tv anyway? This is a great time to use for studying.

You could possibly fit another subject in as well.

Good luck with it.

• Cheers im doing English and Mathes and Science but thinking i could do with an extra qualification and something to fill some more study time so looking at psycholgy as well.

• I think 3 subjects is enough when returning to study, but you should be able to get on the access course course without any qualifications.
  • I was offered a place but they said my mathes is to weak for the course im doing, Also they said they were concerned that with me doing the 2 gcses and being on the access at night the workload would be to much and to wait til next yesr.

• Wise Mike I think. Break into studying gently. I had to do an A level Sociology and O level English and got into uni. Different now, of course but do get two or three under your belt. You may find that maths , for example aint as bad as you remember it.