Bike and Tri stuff at Aldi on Thursday 6 May

Get down to your local Aldi on Thursday for a cheap and cheerful bunch of cycling and tri kit

Might treat myself to a softshell jacket - I have the running version and its no Gore but it's fit for purpose!

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week18Thursday10.htm?WT.z_src=main

Damn linky thing still broken on my pc image

Comments

• thanks for the link - I've got a couple of jackets that are 3 yrs old now and still going strong.
  • I have some aldi bib tights which are the comfiest bike thing I own...

bliddy hell, you can't complain at £15 for a tri suit can you?

• My best buy were the cycle glasses. Wraparound, non slip, clear, yellow and dark interchangeable lenses, cloth, separate pouches for each lens. £2.99. Might have been Lidls though, never seen them since. Not as comfy as my Adidas Climacools and woudl be uncomfortable on an IM ride but great for MTB
  • Has anyone had one of the tri suits?  Am seriously tempted at that price as it's within my budget!  Anyone know what sizes they might do though?  Am a bit of a fatty at the moment! image
  • I bought my running/cycling tights from Aldi about 4 years ago and they're still going strong!
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "bliddy hell, you can't complain at £15 for a tri suit can you?"

they were £10 a couple of years ago...... image

the one I have isn't the best piece of tri kit I have but for the money you can't really argue. some of the stitching isn't great so can chafe and the pad isn't the best either but taking that into account, it's fine for training in. fit is a bit hit and miss but that goes for a lot of the sports kit that the likes of Aldi and Lidl sell
  • Guess it will be fine for a beginner doing their first tri to see if they like it then image  Will have to see if they have fatty sizes, but think it's gotta be worth a lookie see at that price.
  • Just been and bought a Large Ladies tri-suit to fit ladies size 16-18.  couldn't resisit at that price even if I am gonna look like an overstuffing sausage image

HTH

• Thanks Miss P image  A mate went in and had a look for me (the store is miles away from me, but near where she works) and said that the large one didn't look too large and, to be brually honest, looked like it would be too small for me at the moment! image image  So I am going with my Option 1, which is change as many times as possible instead! image  Given that I'm most likely only just going to be fully fit by the time I do it and as it's my first tri I thought I'd rather go with what I know, be slower and feel comfy in what I'm wearing.  image 
  • Bought a cycling jacket, gloves, socks and 2 pairs of cycle shorts. And a track pump.

Would have bought a tri suit if the'd had a medium two piece but for some reason they didn't. Though to be honest why would I not race in Pirate kit ever? And I'm not going to do 2 tris so close together that I can't wash the stuff.

• Right where's my local Aldi!! image
  • Alaird....how much are the jackets?  Debating whether its worth the drive to Brighton. image
  • elgmelgm ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Am thinking of taking up Tri so I bought a one-piece tri-suit from Aldi today, to sort of force the issue !

Compared to dedicated cycling shorts, there's virtually no 'bum padding' built-in, but I presume this is normal as the suit also has too be swum / cycled in ?

Am I right ?        image

• Yes. You are right.
  • Hi elgm image  If you really want to force the issue, find a local novice event and enter it!!!  Reckon that will force you into action more than buying the tri suit image  What do you do currently?  Most people seem to come from either a running or cycling background before moving on to tri events.
  • Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

I've had a great spending spree.  Bought cycle shorts, cycle top, cycle jacket, cycle gloves, cycle socks, sunglasses and swimming goggles!   All for £40. image

Tried the goggles out and they are great, didn't leak or fog.  Sunglasses are comfy and everything fits perfect.  I'm a very happy dragon. Thanks for the tip-off. image

• Soup....we may look like twins on our next ride! image  Dragged hubby there with the promise that we will both get ourselves kitted out.....unfortunately we were a little late and most of the mens stuff had gone. image  Hubby managed to get some shorts and got a couple of pairs of shorts for the kids in small.  I opted for the mens small cycle jacket as I prefer black and red and got a cycle t-short.  Two pairs of sunglasses, one for me and one for youngest and a pair of gloves.  Hubby did get a tool bag for his bike.  image He is as happy with his Lava Rock for the BBQ as I am with my cycle jacket. image Bargain and chuffed to bits, cheers Alaird
  • Turning into a proper bike ponce Saffers image
  • I'm looking more the part in my cycle jacket! image  Just need to move it a bit image  Also thrown into the conversation that I am doing a half ironman next year.........now I have the jacket! image  Just browsing to see which one to do. image
  • Go girl ! Swashbuckler for an early one, Bala with the Pirate Massiv, or The Vit for a late one. Or all three !
  • Saffers wrote (see)
    I'm looking more the part in my cycle jacket! image  Just need to move it a bit image  Also thrown into the conversation that I am doing an Ironman next year.........now I have the jacket! image  Just browsing to see which one to do. image
    Looks like PSOF is going to Regensburg. Come with us image
  • Kanga, thinking later in the year for a half but OD to get me going early. image

LN, quit with the angel face......I am sure that is not a half young lady! I am working up to it. image

• But but but but you've got a wholllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle year, actually more than to work up to the IM. If I can do it, so can you.
  • I got a one piece and would say they are actually quite big. Was the friend knowledgeable on Tri-Kit and that we don't wear them baggy. I got a medium cos the large was too big - in the shop over my shorts and t-shirt. I am a compact 5ft 9 and 14 stone 10 - the large is big.

The two piece I got is a large and much more like the right size for me.

Also got some cycling shorts, 3 pairs of socks, and some sun glasses, two bike locks (not for my race bike - for the MTB that tows kids trailers etc) and a little saddle/tool bag and tools (again for the MTB).

Would have got a cycle jacket but they only had a medium in the ALDI I was in.

Black and white to match my bike was a bonus. I like to match when I go training - I'm such a girl.

Dave

• Dave - I thought the women's all in one looked rather small...but you're right, the men's was huge (was tempted to get a men's 2 piece as there were no women's).

Two Stoke - I'm normally a size 10 but had to get the size 12-14 all in one. I was tempted even to get the 16-18 as the bust measurement on the 12-14 is rather small...will definitely be wearing a black sports bra with it as the suit doesn't quite cover up around the side...!

• Really glad I didn't get my mate to bother getting me one then Catamapella, given that my top half has increased to around a size 18 at the moment it certainly looks like the 16-18 would have been waaaaaayyyyyyy too small still!  image
  • Any ideas if this will happen again? Got a couple of things but there wasnt much left.
  • Two Stroke - they are generously sized.  The large is 16-18.  Medium 12-14.  What happened to 14-16??!  Give it a try, you can always get your friend to return it.  There isn't as much padding in the seat area as there is in my Orca tri-suit, but guess it will do the job just as well.

I too went on a shopping spree - tri suits for me and mate / flip flops / cycle tool bag and cycle top.  May go back now and see what else they have.  not that I need it....... Oh and think Lidls is also doing some good deals.

• image  Now I'm comfused!!  Cat says they are small and FB_P says they are generous!!! image  Unfortunately my mate isn't in work today and the earliest I would be able to get someone to take me there is Sunday (if I ask nicely), and by then I suspect they will all be gone.  Think on balance I will stick to being a slow glamour puss with several changes for this one - that way I can also save my pennies and if I enjoy doing my first one I can invest in something at a later date image
  • Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

TST - I'm normally a size 10/12.  My cycling jacket I bought yesterday has plenty of room and says size 8/10.  So the jackets are certainly generous.