PUMA Hellrunner: Hell Up North (Morning Glory)

Comments

• Got my race pack too. image It says fasten chip strip thingy on your shoe. I hope it's strong enough....I have visions of no-one getting a time as everyone's chip is at the bottom of the Bog of Doom!! image
  • I have had to pull out of the morning event  image

So I now have an entry going spare.

Please contact me if interested

David

• Can someone confirm if normal running trainers will need throwing away after the race? I don't have any that are old enough to throw away so don't really want to be having to waste money by binning my shoes. At the moment I am planning on wearing a pair of normal trainers (i.e. non running trainers) that I can bin strainght after.

Thanks

• No Dean! Of course not. Trail shoes are meant to get muddy. Even ordinary running shoes will be fine after a dip in a washing machine. You are running through a bit of mud not sulphuric acid!! Your shoes will be fine. Wear something with a bit of grip if you can. image
  • If I threw my trainers away every time they've been immersed in mud I'd never buy anything else. I'll chuck everything in a bin bag and put it straight in the washer and it will come out good as new. The washer though, that's a different story image
  • Doing Hellrunner for the first time with a group from my fitness classes. Does anybody know best thing to do about parking? Do we arrive early or later to benefit getting out of the car park sooner or are we able to park a mile or two away to get out sooner? One of my girls asked if there were showers I did ask if she was joking (I know now she wasn't) - must be toilets though at the start surely ...................

Does anybody know how far from the car park the start is as I have a friend who wants to come and watch but is unable to walk too far?

Thanks

Jane

• Hi David thanks for the Text unfortunately part of it was missing can text or message me your address so I can send payment. Thanks

You doing this Mike ???

• Hi Woody, well I was, too many bloody photos to upload now though image

Yep, certainly am, I'm in the morning one. You?

Think Bruce is doing it too.

• Sorry they are doing my head in, just rotated a load and my computers gone on a go slow image

I'm hoping to have the morning place offered by  Nil Satis Nisi Optimum (David) above.

• I am indeed signed up for the morning one too .... (hoping if things go well may finish mid pack - with the afternoon lot image !! )
  • Let me know if you get in, we'll have a Coasters reunion!

Have you done it before?

• I've not it was Bright Bimbler that put me on to it, she says it will be good training for Tough Guy.

LOL Bruce

• I'm not quite ready for Tough Guy I don't think, you doing it in Jan? I'm on holiday then image

It's on my "must get round to" list though

• Yeah Jan it's the ice cold water that worries me the most.
  • I have unfortunately had to pull out of the morning event  which means I have an entry going spare.

Please contact me if interested (preferably by email at hannah-lester@hotmail.com )

Hannah

• Jane, all parking info should be in the race info. They normally open up a big carpark just for the event, & marshals show you where to go. Lots of parking places. The start is about a 10 min walk away. There are no showers, or even a hose pipe! But loos at the visitor's centre that you walk past on the way to the start. You are all going to have FUN!

Woody in a swamp.....hehehe......image

Mike, just do Tough Guy! No-one is ever ready for it! If you want it badly enough you'll get round!

• can anyone make sense of the parking arrangements for the afternoon run?

It says

Upon arriving at forest park adjacent to delamere station please follow stewards to whitefield car park

So...are we parking at the main visitor centre and walking up to whitefield, or parking at whitefield or what?  Where is the actual start line?  I pass whitefield first from my direction so it seems silly to drive down to visitor centre if then going to get sent back up to whitefield

• in addition to my question before, does anyone have any tips for how to run it?

My training has gone down hill recently due to injury, so I need some kind of plan...how much running v's taking it easy

Can someone describe the route?  How many miles of normal trail running & how much bog trotting? I was thinking of running the first half or so then seeing how it goes...or is that a bad idea

• i would also like to know how much is complete mental mud and how much is on decent forest tracks.

I have trained up to about 7.5 miles hoping that the atmosphere will carry me the rest of the way on the day.

how big are the hills ? I did a 10k run in the forest last year for cancer research and didn't find the hills on that course to bad. Am I right in assuming the hills will be worse ?

• The course is altered every year so that no one knows exactly what to expect! In general I would say the majority is undulating trail running, with some near sheer drop ascents and descents (more cautious runners may go down on bottoms if its very muddy).

If you can do 7.5miles you will easy complete the course, everyone encourages each other. I have done it twice before and am doing this years even though for the past 2months I have only been out 2 or 3 times a week and nothing further than 4miles! I did the London marathon in April and a half iron man in June so am hoping I still have some endurance hidden somewhere!

Front runners shouldn't get held up but the average to back of pack runners could find they are held up in parts due to sections being too narrow for lots of people at once.

I am a back of the pack runner so if I can get round and come back for more any one can!!!

Have fun imageimageimage

• Having done all the Delamere Hellrunner's, I agree with relaxed! about the course.

Given the amount of rain we've had, it should be pretty muddy this year. I like to think that off-road shoes give me an advantage - not for the swamps or up the hills, but for negotiating the general puddliness, muddiness and slipperiness.

Hint (hope it's not too obvious): once back at the car, I wash the mud off my legs using water fired from 3-4 squeezy-type sports bottles. An old towel then gets rid of enough muck to allow me to drive home in relative comfort.

The only bit of kit I've ever thrown away is a Devil's tail that gave up the ghost last year after three Hellrunner outings. Got another today, though in subdued black rather than bright red.

As in the last two years, I'll be doing Hellrunner the week after doing the Snowdonia Marathon - so trotting round Delamere will be relatively easy, if not very quick.

Just hope my number arrives ...

• ive done this race a few times and the key is not to go out thinking about setting a good time etc, just enjoy it.  The hills are steep in places and the water ( which there is quite a bit of) is bloody cold, but its a good laugh. There are places where the trail gets bottlenecked and you literally grind to a halt and thats when you know you can forget about times. You'll be thinking at about mile 8 'what am i doing this for, never again' but by the time you get home you'll be checking when next years entry is open. 

Enjoy it and have a good run!!

• Just hope the chip stays on in all the mud. Anyone wishing to throw trainers away, I take a size7,ill be checking the bins to put em on ebay LOL.

Looking forward to this now, hope the weather gets abit colder though, could do with a nice bit of frost, bring it on!!!!

Not normally like this but just completed Snowdonia marathon in hail, torrential rain and thunder, feel like I can do anything, uh oh!!!!imageimage 

• Looking forward to this now. Its a very rare occassion when my Garmin gets left at home!

Think i'm going to struggle, not done any trail running practice and have only run up to 10 miles so am secretly hoping for a few of those bottlenecks image

I'll get round tho, hopefully having some fun while doing so.

• Def don't bring a Garmin. Garmins & swamps are not a good combo!

Sorry, there were no bottlenecks at the back last year Griffsters, so you'd better go a bit quicker if you want to find them!!

• Hehehe......Just bimble at the back....It's nice at the back!! image
  • HELP! I am scared to death about Sunday! I have had a cold for 2 weeks and been dancing in a show so have done nowhere NEAR enough training. Never done anything like this before - am i stupid even to contemplate it???!!! Reading ion here seems to fluctuate between it'll all be ok and omg!

HELP!