PUMA Hellrunner: Hell Up North (Morning Glory)

Comments

• I am Loving this thread !!!

Runners wondering which fancy dress to wear ? gloves or no gloves ? trainers or spikes ? leggins or shorts ?

Runners who have done 1/2 marathons and tough trails and those like me who have only managed a few 5 - 7 miles.

Just goes to show the wide appeal of this crazy (fun) run.

From a first timer all giddy, excited and bloomin nervous as HELL...

• No-one has discussed wigs yet......I saw some pink wigs in Blackpool....I was tempted......Maybe next year.... image image
  • Eric Davies wrote (see)

Elizabeth, anything you wear on your lower half (and maybe even on the upper) will end up soaked.

In my experience, wet running tights are no fun to wear, so for Hellrunner I wear shorts - and stick embrocation on my legs to help ward off the cold.

Your forearms are also likely to get wet, so you might prefer something short-sleeved.

That said, this year I'm thinking of wearing a technical tee over a long-sleeved base, but rolling up the base arms as necessary (it's really for the colour - I happen to have both items in red, so they should complement my horns and sawn-off trident!).

Eric! Thank you that's really helpful! Completely reconsidered the outfit! Excellent fancy dress vibes!

Andy Ross 6 wrote (see)

I am Loving this thread !!!

Runners wondering which fancy dress to wear ? gloves or no gloves ? trainers or spikes ? leggins or shorts ?

Runners who have done 1/2 marathons and tough trails and those like me who have only managed a few 5 - 7 miles.

Just goes to show the wide appeal of this crazy (fun) run.

From a first timer all giddy, excited and bloomin nervous as HELL...

Andy - I feel exactly the same way!!!I am defo in the 5-7 miler camp!
  • Shorts definitely better than leggings for this one. Leggings just feel really heavy and uncomfortable once wet and muddy. Capris aren't too bad but shorts are best option (even with my legs!!!)

I start with a cheap pair of gloves as hate cold hands. If they get too muddy I'll just throw them!!!

Short sleeve T shirt for me.

Not organised enough for fancy dress. Maybe next year!!!!image

Love the grim reaper gathering bodies at the back!!!!! imageimage

• A repeat visit to the pound shop is in order for Saturday after Parkrun, for wigs, tutus, & any other rubbish left over from Halloween!!  image
  • Cheers relaxed,

i toyed with the idea of getting a toy scythe to take round (just to complete the effect) but then tought it's going to be a complete pain in the bum to carry the thing all the way round.

I hope it does stay forcast for between 3 to 5 degrees, at least i wont get too hot.  Although i suppose it is the Hellrunner, so i don't suppose we want it to freeze over! image

• MS7, stop being a wimp! You must carry your scythe! There were these guys that did Tough Guy in suits & they carried their briefcases with them round the whole course! And that included climbing over high obstacles, swimming across a lake, & underwater tunnels!! image

If the Bog of Doom freezes over then you can break the ice with your scythe!! image

• relaxed! wrote (see)

Love the grim reaper gathering bodies at the back!!!!! imageimage

My OH is doing Hell down South and has a grim reaper costume in the "dressing up box" (as you do!) which he got for a halloween run a few years ago.  He thought it would be too difficult to run through bogs and stuff in a long cape so doesn't plan on wearing it but depending on how the reapers get on "ooop north" I might be able to pursade him otherwise.  I wait with eager anticipation. image  I've just bought light-up devil horns.
  • Perfect I think! 
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/223573/Gallery/grim_0.jpg

• LOL, Soup. Love it. I'd love to do a race as Wonderwoman, but you'd really need the high heeled boots. Not ideal footwear for swamps.....image
  • Eric Davies wrote (see)

Elizabeth, anything you wear on your lower half (and maybe even on the upper) will end up soaked.

In my experience, wet running tights are no fun to wear, so for Hellrunner I wear shorts - and stick embrocation on my legs to help ward off the cold.

Your forearms are also likely to get wet, so you might prefer something short-sleeved.

That said, this year I'm thinking of wearing a technical tee over a long-sleeved base, but rolling up the base arms as necessary (it's really for the colour - I happen to have both items in red, so they should complement my horns and sawn-off trident!).

Eric,

Embrocation, this is new for me, or rather haven't giving it a thought to use with running. Do you, or anyone else have any suggestion on make and where to buy it?

Just bought some 3/4 tights today as my shorts that I had during the Turbo-X wasn't comfortable when they were wet and were flapping on my legs. The tights are breathable ones and not the insulating so I hope they won't get too heavy from the water/mud. Or am I thinking wrong?

Anyway, very very excited about this race! image

• Embrocation? I'm currently using Zipvit Sport Qoleum (only available online I think), though have in the past used Tiger Balm. At a push, I suppose Deep Heat would do.

• Despite setting up this thread i am still bricking it!!!

There are 5 of us running and none of us has any idea what to expect!!!

No fancy dress but may wear my flashing bunny ears LOL image

• Hehehe Aliglobetrek......tis just mud, swamps & hills!! You won't die. When you hear girls screaming in the distance, that means there's a swamp coming up! That sounds sexist (I am female) but you never hear boys screaming when they see a swamp! Girls...we must get a grip!

Fell over a ceramic plant pot tonight & cut my heel open. image I am not impressed, & am trying to make a bandage out of bubble wrap so I can run......

• Yikes. Hope your heel is ok.

I've done a HM so know i can do the distance but am still nervous. LOL. Maybe I'll need goggles for the swamp image

See you sunday imageimage

• Nerves make it exciting. No-one knows what the course will be like as it changes each year. Just expect a lot of mud, as it's been raining a lot, & the sort of hills you won't have seen on a road HM!!
  • Bright Bimbler wrote (see)

Fell over a ceramic plant pot tonight & cut my heel open. image I am not impressed, & am trying to make a bandage out of bubble wrap so I can run......

Ouch! Hope your ok to do it. Feeling a bit apprehensive myself now, just not sure what to expect. I've done one HM before in 2:20 but that was 12 months ago.  I *think* i'm at around the same fitness level maybe a tad heavier image .

I figure this is a bit tougher than a HM so would a 2:30 finishing time be about right - ish? How do others HM times compare to this?

• I've not done this one before but going off similar races I'd guess you'd need to add a third or even half again on to the time you'd expect to do a normal road HM in.

Not long now everyone, got some practice in the mud at BMF this morning, looking forward to it!
  • Best tell the missus to bring some entertainment then... i may be some time! image
  • Griffsters, I'd say add a lot more than 10 mins onto your HM time for this one! Try at least half an hour!! Impossible to guess, because we don't know the distance or what it will be like this year.

Last year my HM PB was 2 hrs 40, but I took 3 hrs 30 to do Hellrunner! Though I'd not long since broken my ankle, so wasn't exactly in a rush to get round!

• Haha.. i'm ever the optimist!!

At least I can give the other half a more accurate estimate...

• You are only going too slow if a) If you are doing the morning race & the runners in the afternoon race start overtaking you, and b) It's gone dark & you haven't finished yet..... image
  • That'll do for me bright image

Will spectator be able to make their way to the bog of doom? Going to suggest that the other half and little un make their way there if possible, hopefully catch me there on camera image

• Bright Bimbler wrote (see)
    You are only going too slow if a) If you are doing the morning race & the runners in the afternoon race start overtaking you, and b) It's gone dark & you haven't finished yet..... image
    I FEEL SICK!image
  • Griffsters, I'll be going back to the Bog of Doom after the race to watch. I can't remember exactly where it was, but it's quite near the end.

Elizabeth & achy legs. I guarantee once you get running you won't be scared. It's just a trail race with swamps, & crazy people that will pull you out if you get stuck!!! Hehehe.....image

• Yikes. I didn't think we'd need to add that long to our HM time. Am scared now!!!image
  • I'm so envious of you lot doing this tomorrow.  Good luck and have fun everyone. image
  • Been looking forward to this race all year, done a couple of halves including Rivington trail half this year so should be prepared, but even if I'm not, who cares ?  Time and distance will mean nothing, 10 ish miles of falling up and falling down muddy hills.  Don't worry anybody about struggling, everyone will be in the same boat and there will be plenty of people to pull you up if (when) you fall on your bum.  Going to be a great experience and a lorra lorra fun, as Cilla would say