Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• Rachie, I've never done Mansfield either, sure it'll be a good day.  My Mum moved to Notts last summer so I've been taking the opportunity to try some new races around there while visiting. Mansfield is another new one for me.  Good luck with your long run.

Maelca, sorry to hear about your bad day at Stratford, sure you'll put it right at RHM.   I ran the half last year.  There were a few hills, but I don't think they were to bad, hopefully they won't sap my legs too much with double the distance to run this year.

• Blimey Colin - I leave you alone for a few days and you let EVERYONE in!! I hope they play nice?

Another Hill - BBCHM not a chance! I did it last year and i was glad to have the experience of the race but def don't want to do it again as it is a tough tough race!! Forget the 'its flat cos its on the side of the canal' theory...it's bleedin hot on the side of the canal when the sun is on the right, and you're running on the left!

It's really a time trial as runners set off in shifts according to the time that you give the organisers. so definitely an experience - once!!

I do fancy the Colworth marathon challenge again this year. Brilliant set of races, in lovely surroundings. I did the first of the three races last year and flew it in a PB time for 5 miles that still stands to this day! But I want want WANT to do the whole Fri Sat Sun challenge...Boss permitting!!

Off to Sutton Park this Sunday for a 10k reprieve of last weeks non starter of a race. Migraine attacked and I was down for ten. Kids ran the 4k race and they did well and enjoyed it. Gonna try and get near the front so that I can try for a fast-ish (for me) time and not get too strung up in the fun runners and have to expend energy battling through crowds on the hillier course.

• I know Jules, I let the bouncer take a lunch break and then everyone gate crashes in. You can't trust anyone nowadays image.

Went walking with the kids up the Wrekin yesterday, must try a run around there at some point, looks quite a challenge.

8.5 miles this morning, my longest run since RSM and it felt good. I'm trying to take it nice and easy for the month post marathon as the motivation/energy/legs seem to have deserted me, but I think they are starting to make a comeback. One more gentle week and then I'll start trying to sharpen things up a bit with some pace work. Got a few shorter distances lined up over the next few months so it'll be nice to add a little bit of speed to my running.

I hope everyone else is or has had a good weekend of running

• Morning All

Jules - That's exactly why I've sighned up for the BBCHM - I really didn't get on with the greenway at RSM flat and boring so realised I need to do flat courses more often.  I believe that an half marathon is coming up at the Wyre forest the one which we did that 8 and a bit miler.  I'm tempted by that.

Colin - I believe the Wrekin's got a Fell run later on in the year supposed to be quite hard.

• Another hill - It does, the Wrekin Wrecker, just over 8 miles long. Sounds fun doesn't it, unfortunately I'll probably be washing my closely shaved head then image
  • I know Jules, I let the bouncer take a lunch break and then everyone gate crashes in. You can't trust anyone nowadays image.

Went walking with the kids up the Wrekin yesterday, must try a run around there at some point, looks quite a challenge.

8.5 miles this morning, my longest run since RSM and it felt good. I'm trying to take it nice and easy for the month post marathon as the motivation/energy/legs seem to have deserted me, but I think they are starting to make a comeback. One more gentle week and then I'll start trying to sharpen things up a bit with some pace work. Got a few shorter distances lined up over the next few months so it'll be nice to add a little bit of speed to my running.

I hope everyone else is or has had a good weekend of running

• Eh? A bit of deja vu there, don't know how that happened image
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Definitely a great weekend running for me - PB'd at the Dereham 10, did a sub-70 for the first time, and took home a trophy for first in the F40 category...imageimageimage

Mind you my achilles is now letting me know big time that I have had a fast run...it never seems to complain on the LSRs. Probably need to take a week or so off, and then start the Robin Hood training from there.

Hope everyone else has run well this weekend too.

• Congratulations Freemers! Superb news! PB's should always be celebrated and shouted about and I hope you're doing plenty of both!

Colin - you seem to have really taken a knock from Stratford my friend...good job you've got the sense to take it easy for a while. Hope things clear ok for you. Sunshine. That's GREAT motivation mate! I always say I'm 'Solar-powered' when the sun's out...try it?

Another hill - Hmmm, Wyre Forest HALF marathon - letmethinkaboutthat - NOIDONTTHINKSO!! 13.2 miles of those hills?! Blige alive, the 8.5 was enough! Mind you, thinking about running 13.2 around those beautiful trees is very tempting, don't ya think?!

ANYROAD....I ran the Cure Leukaemia 10k this morning and although didn't go sub 40 as I would have liked (40:53-damn you hills!) I came 15/518 my highest placing yet! So Hurrah for me!

Now. Next. Serious, SERIOUS negotiations with The Boss about the next 'set' of races..phew...deep breath...wish me luck...

• Excellent race was my first marathon, Great course mile 20 from what i recall is a nightmare its a huge loop in 2 minds whether to enter or not due to me doing edinburgh this sunday and these 2 might be to close for proper recuperation before i train for notts.
  • Another Hill - Any thoughts on Wolverhampton vs Robin Hood?

I'm looking one of these too. My research suggests Wolverhamption is a faster course, but certainly has less runners to help you round and also no isotonic on the course...any thoughts?

• I hate Speedwork....

Just wanted to share.

Anybody else do it for Marathon Training? I've got a half (Wombourne) entered but not expecting great times, certainly no Birmingham PB beater!

Anyone else in for Wombourne?

• Hi all,did my first marathon at 4:45 in the London Marathon want to get below 4 hours in Notts.

Any tips on taking 45 mins off your time in 5 months or am I being unrealistic?

Also any tips on good hotels (easy to get to start line and finish if viable) in Nottingham?

Thanks all

Dave
  • I'm tempted by Wombourne, but I've also got the Stone 10k the week after, then Shifnal Steeplechase the week after that. 3 races in 3 weeks will surely test Mrs G's patience 
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    jules_perox wrote (see)

I hate Speedwork....

Just wanted to share.

Anybody else do it for Marathon Training? I've got a half (Wombourne) entered but not expecting great times, certainly no Birmingham PB beater!

Anyone else in for Wombourne?

Speedwork - a necessarily evil I reckon. I did a lot more of it - interval training and loads of tempo/threshold runs - before my last marathon and it paid of with a PB. I certainly felt I could sustain a faster pace for longer. Also just got a 4 minute PB over 10 miles on the back of all the speedwork, so even though I hate it too, it does work!

DAVID HALLIDAY 4 wrote (see)
    Hi all,did my first marathon at 4:45 in the London Marathon want to get below 4 hours in Notts. Any tips on taking 45 mins off your time in 5 months or am I being unrealistic? Also any tips on good hotels (easy to get to start line and finish if viable) in Nottingham? Thanks all Dave

Dave - depends on how you trained for the 4.45, and what your times are for other distances and training. Have you got a HM time for instance? What sort of training plan are you following?

• Ok guys, looks like Wolverhampton for me...not exactly thrilled about this prospect, but I am after a fast course, and nottingham may not yield this.

Best of luck in your training!!!

• Hi all,

I'm not the biggest fan of speedwork but do force one session a week.  I took 3 mins off my 10k time at Easter so I guess it paid off, I'm just not really blessed with much speed.  I've just joined a triathlon club and will be looking to make the most of their track sessions too - always hated the track at school!  Hopefully they'll help improve my speed too.

Good luck at Wolverhampton Harry.

• Hi All

Sorry not to get back to you Harry but I think I will do Wolverhampton the only reason being is that it's only half hours drive away. 

Wombourne Half though very tempted.

• Freemers,felt really comfortable in the VLM with loads in the tank,did the second half 9 mins quicker than the first,but may have just been a good day and the novelty factor.

In training I estimate 9 min/miles for a half marathon.

May be a different story in Notts-with less crowd,fun runners and good wishers etc etc.

Also no real structured training plan-just lead up to about 21 miles about three weeks before Notts...can you help??

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave
  • Freemers - thanks for that. I suppose I really do know the answer! My problem is that I have no track access, am not in a club, live in quite a hilly area of Brum and find it hard to motivate myself to Speedwork!

The rest of the training Long run, tempo etc fine...just speedwork at 5:30am is a bit of a wrench. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!! But I could certainly do with 10 minutes off my debut Marathon time.

Another hill - DO WOMBOURNE! You and me aren't too far away in pace, come along and we'll run together?! DO IT! Scenic, quiet..ok, bit costly (£16) but still good and not too far away.

Re:Wolverhampton marathon..appreciate the proximity dilemma, but not tempted. Maybe next year?

Colin - I feel your pain! And stress! 'Team Jules' are suffering a moment of non-confidence after I went to the 10k on me own!!

Rest day for me today and I really appreciated the early night last night and the extra hour this morning. long Run in the Sun tomorrow so its out with the water, sunglasses and cream!

What's everyone else up to Long Run wise this weekend? Running anywhere special?

• hi

sorry not been around for a couple of days. I have Mansfield half in couple of weeks as part of my training plan for Notts full.

I drove the course last night (does that count as speed work???)

looks quite hilly but hopefully i'm gonna try it this weekend. Nice and steady with no real time in mind but just to find my way round and find my feet sort of thing.

trust me to schedule this for the hottest weekend yet 

• Jules - see you at Wombourne then.  I doubt very much that we are the same kind of speed.  You shoot of in the horizon last time we meet.
  • Another Hill - not a chance bud! Yer imagining stuff! Anyroad I can just enjoy a run. I'll be in touch.

Got up early today and went out for 14.5 but MAAAAaaan was it hot even then! Enjoyed the run though.

But gotta 'campaign.' set an example people. Please run with water in this beautiful weather. Carry a fist bottle, or a sports water bottle-anything! It really concerns me that so many people run without water...

Campaign Started!!
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

Morning all image

Gorgeous weather! Hope it lasts! Going to run up to Holme Pierrepont, round it and back home later on today. I ran it lots as part of my training for Stratford and, as it's part of the route for the Robin hood, it seems sensible to keep training up there.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    DAVID HALLIDAY 4 wrote (see)
    Freemers,felt really comfortable in the VLM with loads in the tank,did the second half 9 mins quicker than the first,but may have just been a good day and the novelty factor. In training I estimate 9 min/miles for a half marathon. May be a different story in Notts-with less crowd,fun runners and good wishers etc etc. Also no real structured training plan-just lead up to about 21 miles about three weeks before Notts...can you help?? Thanks in anticipation. Dave

Dave - for me the key is increased speed work and tempo sessions, plus more runs in the 20+ region - my 5 longest runs added up to 100 miles. I also experimented with pacing in a couple of those long runs. So mainly keeping them dead slow, but used the last 7-10 miles to run at marathon pace. That gave me a real sense of what pace I could sustain over a long distance. On race day I set off at that pace and just tried to hang on!

9 mm for a half should translate into something a little over 4 hours for a full I would think, unless you feel you can sustain that pace twice round (in which case you should be gunning for more like 1.50 for a half). But your last mara was a big negative split - which clearly shows you have more in you than 4.45. But to find out how much more I think you probably need to test out what your true marathon pace should be - have a go at this during your long runs, best do it at the back end of the run as your legs are tired and it is a better test.

I'm not running at all at the moment as my achilles is very sore....and so I have to keep up the cross training which is a real pain as it is so boring...

• Fantastic advice Freemers-thanks so much,will get out and try it immediately and keep you posted
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Had a rotten long run on Sunday and really struggled in the eat. I'm drinking what I feel is a lot but not sure it's enough still.
  • Sam- at least you had the sense to take water with you.
    I find it hard to say 'how' much you should drink as I believe it's really down to the indivdual. There is one pretty good cliché mind...if you become thirsty then you've waited too long to drink.
    I ran nigh on 15 miles Saturday and didn't manage to finish a 500ml bottle off. Mind afterwards I drank like a fish!
    Stay safe out there people!!
  • Well my running seems to be back on track now, no structure to it, I just wanted to be able to go out and do whatever I felt like.

However, 1st Jun then it all kicks off again and a proper training programme will be scribbled down on a post-it and off we go for Robin Hood. I'll be looking to do more interval and tempo stuff this time along with the mandatory lsr. A new running group has just been set up at work and that'll help with the speedier stuff. On my last programme I tended to just tried to clock up the miles which is ok in some ways, but after 16 weeks was hardly inspiring me to get out in the morning.

• Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

I read something about weighing yourself before and after a run to see how much you lost in fluid and then using that to calculate how much to drink, must have a look and see if I can find out a bit more about that.

Despite taking the drink with me Jules, I still felt thirsty which I guess suggests that I hadn't had enough through the day and previous night. I drink a lot more than I used to so it feels like a lot but it's possibly not as much as I think it is or at least, not enough compared to what I am using up. I sweat A LOT when I run. Not when I don't, I mean I'm not constantly sweaty or anything image but as soon as I exercise I sweat buckets. Not sure why. I'm not overweight at all and I don't wear too much when I run.

I think having a varied programme is they key Colin otherwise you end up thinking 'god, not another run' also I definitely found doing some hills useful. I did reps up and down a fairly steep one and then any unulations or small hills in a relatively flat marathon seemed very small indeed. For speedwork, I like 800s and I'm sure they help. I always managed a sprint finish, even when I've had a hard race, and I put that down to reps.

Tempo run for me tonight, 6m including 20m at lactate threshold pace. Still finding it hard, maybe I misjudged how hard starting training for a second marathon right after completeing one would be. Still, did feel some progress tonight.