Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• Cheers guys dad fine he just likes the attention. If he keeps doing it I'm going to kill him image

Vixx I might have to fight you for the last place. Now get to bed you lot image

• haha good one Cake - glad the old man is OK! We should run a competition to see who stays up the longest!

I'm gonna try an 'early night' for me - going up soon, take care guys, hope to see some of you but with so many people there I don't fancy my chances all that much!

• Up 'n' at 'em!

4hrs 25 mins to go

• Oh .... We're actually doing this then?

• what a cracking day for a run! raring to go now, hust 2.24hrs to go image good luck today everyone.
  • Yup looks like it's gonna be a hot one! You guys ever wear sun screen during a race? How did you all sleep? Took me ages to go off !
  • I had to drop down to the Half as my back was still sore, and I wasn't going to take any chances.

Hope everyone had a good day!
  • well done Vixx.

Had a cracking day thanks, well pleased with my time. Only did the half but slashed 9 and half mins off my PB with 1:44:14, was planning in my mind to get under 1:50 but when the 1:45 pacemaker inched past me it was too good an offer to refuse. I nearly cried crossing the line i was that happy. 

• Fantastic Result Richard!!!!! Am really pleased for you! image
  • Hip went at mile 8 and my achilles started to get tight cos of compensating.  Ended up almost twenty minutes slower than last year.  But still glad i completed it and enjoyed the day.  My sixth time doing this one and im always moved by the encouragement and support the crowds give (gets a bit quiet detween 11 & 12 though).  Next year its a PB for this course! (or thats what i keep telling myself).
  • GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭
    My first half last year @ 1:54 and finished in 1:40:15 today - damn you Garmin, that was 7:34 pace! I'd forgotten about miles 4-8 since last year being a flat-half softie image
    Brilliant race though!
  • Done, dusted and back home. 6 mins quicker than RSM, back in 4hr 42min 12sec, it was a better run but was still running on empty from about 18 miles.

Considering this is rated in RW as Britain's best City marathon, I was a bit disappointed. I've never done a race with so many 90 degree turns, there were too many bottlenecks and areas were you couldn't run more than 4 or 5 abreast, which is a problem when you have people running in groups. Getting to the event was a right pain too. This event is huge and needs a rethink of the route.

As my second marathon, I saw this as potentially the race that would ignite a love of the marathon, but I'm some way from that. That said, I'm not the broken man I was when I crossed the line at RSM though and will probably do another one with Berlin 2011 top of the wannado list

• Wow well done guys! I was the opposite with time. I HATE running in the heat and it seriously got to me today big time. Last year I ran this in 1hr 45mins, this year just under 1hr 53mins, I felt awful!

Lovely medals though hey! image

My first question on here was going to be did anyone else struggle with the heat but it appears not so well done! Vixx - what did you manage the half in mate? image
  • Colin- congrats mate!

I know what you mean, personally I think the organisation in terms of toilets is terrible, NEVER enough and always a huge rush before the start of the race regardless of what time you get there!!

Also I agree some parts even of the half are a little drab, nit sure how its voted No.1 and what they base it on! Also I thought for a half (and thats all I did today!) its extremely hilly. My wife overheard someone mentioning that it's the hilliest half in the UK. I doubt that but do wonder how this stacks up to other halfs people on here have done??
  • Gotta agree there Malakite, I don't enjoy the heat, but the medals were top notch!
  • Malakite, they consider the first 10 and half miles as UNDULATING, wtf, it's hilly and lets have done with it. I'm sure there are hillier races out there but this is a mass entry event, which means a lot of first timers in my books so give them a hint that a bit of training before hand is required. People were walking after a couple of miles which isn't good

• Malakite - well done on today, even if it wasn't necessarily the time you wanted. I'm not great with the heat either. As I had started off at Marathon Pace by the time I decided to just do the half I didn't have enough time to speed up and make a difference! I think it was a personal worst at 2:47:xx image

It's really odd, but the back pain that I have had for over a month has now completely gone. It was sore up to about 11 miles and then eased off. I did toy with the idea of sticking with the full but I have GNR next week and that's already paid for so I don't want to lose all that money!

Colin - I know what you mean about the hills. I was gutted to see that big hill not long after the 1 mile marker, and I was even more gutted to find people in front of me walking. I was determined I wasn't going to walk so early on, and I did manage to keep going and keep going until my back really began to ache around 6 miles. That half is rougher than GNR, I can say that much. I had heard it was hilly but didn't realise it was so hilly. I didn't want to chance the second half based on that.
  • Agree Colin, plus it's really disturbing to see a couple of people flat out unconsious on the road with paramedics, I bet that was a combination of over-doing it and the silly heat and hills image
  • I enjoyed it. Going to ponder on it, I`m sure. Did 4:09 in what was my first ever marathon from 11 weeks training. Tough though, especially that chuffin` lake!!!
  • ET, it was soul destroying to turn just after the nineteen mile marker to see the route keep going and going. Fantastic time btw especially on that amount of training. What's your next marathon then as surely sub 4hrs is on the cards?
  • Good work Vixx nonetheless, to keep going is FAB I must say! I felt like stopping about three times, especially during the park bit what was it, around 5-9miles when it seemed a constant uphill!!
  • Did anyone find the route about .2mile longer than 26.2....my garmin did and i heard a few others gps bleeping early by about 200m at each mile marker??
  • Malakite - that's the bit I found toughest too, as that was pulling my back something shocking, but some of the scenery was lovely, I must say. image
  • done alot of training with my run club on hills and intervals and it certainly paid off, its just a case of head down and dont look too far infront as it can be so off putting to see the road keep going up.

Was a bit upsetting to see the guy with about half a mile to go and his legs just go from under him in a jelly like fashion, hope he was ok.

Well done everyone.

• That's awful Richard - I hope he is ok too - as well as the chap I passed at about 11.5 miles who was unconscious and being given oxygen by the paramedics. The ambulance arrived shortly after - it came right by us.
  • Colin - thanks! I don`t know about another one! I thought I`d try a mara in 2011 or 2012 tbh but we found out that my wife is pregnant again a few months ago, so I thought I`d do this one at short notice as 2011 won`t have much sleep for me from February onwards! I didn`t think I`d cope with the volume of training in my (hectic) life but it went well. image

• Congratulations on the baby egy image
  • Hi all,

Well done Vixx, glad you did the sensible thing and switched.  Hope your back eases soon.  Lardlegs, hope your hip settles down soon too, well done.  Congrats on your pb Colin and well done ET, that's a fantastic first time.

Well done Malakite, it was warm today, glad you got round.  In response to your question about sun cream, I'm very pale so tend to completely cover myself in factor 50+!  Well done GeeForce, was that a pb for you, great time.

I really enjoyed it today.  I did the half last year so knew what to expect.  I've also done a fair few hilly races over the summer so was better prepared than last year.  I finally broke the 4 hour mark, and finished in 3:59:03.  Just checked the results and it looks like you were right beside me on the line Heather, sorry, I didn't even notice anyone was there!  Think I saw you around Holme Pierrpont Garry, I gave 'you' a little shout, but wasn't completely sure if it was you or not.  If it wasn't hopefully there was someone called Garry in the group I shouted at!

Well done everyone.

• Thanks KP - and WELL DONE yourself! image
  • KP - Thought I heard someone!

Event of 2 halfs for me. 1st half despite the hills and the heat, I was on for a 4:00, came to the split point with a minute to spare. Lost pace early in the second and from 21-22 it was walk/jog with about 25% walking

Still, I finished and got a PB

Ended up i think about 4:20 and mine was a garmin that kept going off early in relation to the mile markers.

The number of people needing medical assistance really surprised me, seemed to be dropping like flies at some points.

Liked the trainer throwing game next to the NB tent. I won and got a £80 pair of NB760s!