Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

Trust me to get my inane rambling on the top of the page......

• Inane rambling is what we do best here Sam so don't panic that one!!
    Colin I get to run with a mate once a week and it's quite the highlight of the training week so good idea in going for the 'team' approach.

It's Wednesday tomorro so that means Speedwork-oh joy...
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

Yay! image

Wednesday is pilates for me. Hoping to finish work on time and squeeze in 4m first.

• Speedwork done...and whisper it...was faster today!

NOT THAT ITS WORKING OR ANYTHING!

Heavens forbid I actually begin to enjoy it! Fat chance!

Sam - I hope your messing around in three cornered hats wearing eye patches is fun..yo ho ho and all that....oh wait.....

• Good evening fellow runners, signed up for the race on 26th may after not entering any major race this year. so a marathon wld be a good start or finish off the year to keep me on my toes.

My terafirma  is norfolk & aqua is the north sea which is part of my training program on a treadmill on a supply boat.

So hopfully its a mill pond for the next 18 weeks with the summer months

The fish has nothing to do with fishing, just my nick name from a few years ago lol.

I've run 3 marathon so far, the last one was dublin in 2008 under the name of micheal sadler.

We are sailing in an hour so off line for two weeks, so happy running & injury free for you all taking part.                           fish

• Welcome aboard Fish, excuse the pun.

Would using a treadmill on a supply boat in rough seas count as hill training?

7 miles for me today and hopefully 10 more sedate miles tomorrow. Not a lot after that until Wednesday I suspect as we're off camping in the Peak District for a few days. That said, the trainers will be in the bag, just in case.

• Welcome Fish...thats a great attitude to training in strange places! And trust you Colin!

@Colin - Peak District? Don't know it very well but I know better than to travel ANYWHERE without trainers as guaranteed you'll discover a 'perfect' running route and want to do it!

I'm going to go trail runing tomorrow as I ran a 10.6 rather unexpectedly yesterday! (Must map out planned routes!) so I figured that i didn't need to run quite as far on the Long Run so 12 mile trail will be good I reckon.

Plus the Innov-8s are moaning and staring at me from the top of the box where they're been since the Forest of Dean outings a while back now! so on with the 4x4's and OFF! Yay!

• image Colin where in the peaks? know if very well. image If you can't enjoy running round there you must be dead or doing the wrong sport.

There are a few fell races each week if you want to sneak off and do some hilly stuff?

• Evening all!

Mind if I join in - signed up last night for marathon no.6.

Ran Edinburgh last sunday, going great guns first half (1:58) and still felt really strong at mile 16, but the heat took its toll (25 degress apparently!) and struggled home in 4:42, a PW. The need to put that right was nagging me....well, sounds like most of you know the feeling!

Did Stratford & Abingdon 2 years ago, and Edinburgh & Nottingham last year, and have other mad ideas for later this year....anyway, Nottingham.

A real race of two halves, if you will pardon the pun. The first half is pretty scenic, running through the town, and very well supported almost all the way round. Its hilly in places, and a bit crowded, as some of the route is a little narrow, but my running partner ran the half last year, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly, at mile 13, when we pass the finish straight, its a bit like the world forgets youimage. The route becomes a little rural, and other than the water stations, no support to talk of. You also run into some real dead end, back street/country roads - bit strange really. Then Holme Pierrepoint (think Greenway)!!! Its not so much a lake, as a canal. You join it at half way, then realise you cant see either end, just loads of people running in all directions. You run 2 1/2 lengths of it, then head for the finish, along the river. Most frustrating of all, the finish is on the other side of the river, and you run about a mile or so past it, before you cross over a bridge and head to the finish. Its challenging mentally, but very flat after halfway.

Massive plus is, it is run like clockwork, massive car park on site, well signposted, very slick operation.

Hope I have put anyone off by my view of the run, it s still one of my fave runs, and did 4:28 (PB) and believe 4:15 is a must.

• We're going to a site near Bakewell and the trainers will be packed, but very discreetly, "oh look, my running kit, how did that get in my bag?"

Another 5 miles today, running a bit quicker than I have in a while and enjoying it.

• Phil ----  nice to know someone who has run Edinburgh and Nottingham. I have run London x2, edingburgh and Paris, loved london and Paris but wasnt that impressed with edinburgh.. half of that
    is my fault, set off way to fast. half way 1:43 and finished in 4:03. image

I've loved London and Paris due to numbers and the route being full of different sights etc and no running into dead ends. After Edingurgh and running up a add-on 1 mile around 17miles then around  a track/farm at 18 it finished me. I have a feeling Nottingham may be a little similar and lonely (worried about Pierrepoint) not sure why that worries me, we've all ran lonely long runs!   Anyway like i said my PB was Paris this year (3.47) and i think that is mainly due to pacing myself correctly.

Looking forward to Nottingham. It looks a great run from the routes i can find. Will it be the same route as 2008? Cannot find a 2009 route. The site although has no course yet seems similar to all reviews.

• Hi all,

Glad you're getting faster Jules.  Hi Phil, I'm doing the Chester marathon on Monday and think that'll be quite lonely for large parts of it - good practice for RHM,  I did my last run before Monday today, an easy four miles.  Felt comfortable so looking forward to Monday.  However, I did then go to circuits this evening.  It was very different to usual and was very arm orientated - I'm going to ache tomorrow!

Have fun in the  Peak district Colin.  I had to have a couple of days working in Portsmouth this week - managed a bonus run by the sea, fantastic.

• good luck Monday K.P, i'm maybe looking at that next year (little too soon after Paris this year).

Let us know know how you get on.

• Blimey!

We've got all 'experienced' in here all of a sudden aint we? How many marathons collectively! Full of admiration for you guys!

@phil - thats a brillaint help, the description of the race. thank you for that.

@K.P. cheers Pal, had a mad fast run today as well as it turns out! Enjoy the mara on Monday (if not the travelling to it!) and I hope you finish fit healthy and strong.

Just returned from the trail run in the rain. Wen t amazingly well despite getting lost amongst golf courses! The Garmin map looked hilarious with a little circle loop in the middle of it!!

Anyone else hitting the trails this weekend for a change to tarmac?

• Well, what a day for running - thought the running jacket was stowed away for a few months. Nearly melted last weekend, and drowned this! 5 miles but gentle, amazing what a marathon can take out of you.

Paul - Know what you mean about Edinburgh, its not exactly a city marathon is it! Its quick, thats the appeal for me, but will give it a miss next year. And its not that different to Notts. As for Pierrepont, if you can handle running against other runners for a couple of miles, youll be fine. It is exposed, so whatever the weather is, you get it full on round the lake. Guess the route will be the same??

K.P. - Good luck in Chester, the weather looks pretty good for a long run - enjoy.

Jules - Your welcome. Have a strange desire to do 100 marathons, but at 2 a year, its going to take some. Oh, and I haven't found them any easier than the first!!!

Enjoy the weekend all.

• Hiya everyone

I've been reading the posts on here for a couple of weeks & tonight decided to introduced myself!!  I'm Heather & I live in Northern Ireland & I entered the RHM a couple of months ago.  This will be my 6th marathon - my previous ones are London, Dublin, Lochness, London & then Miami in January this year.  My best time is 4hr 16mins & was in Miami - we had planned a family holiday sortof around this race & I would thoroughly recommend it.  Very humid but a great course for sight-seeing & very flat!!

My training is going not bad so far - I'm on week 3 of my schedule & I'm one of those totally anal people when it comes to schedules & try to follow it to the letter!!  I'm running the Newry Half Marathon on Monday & hope that will give me a bit of an indicator of what sort of time I can expect at Nottingham.  Saying that as we all know a good half doesn't necessarily mean a good marathon!!

Good luck to anyone else in races over the next few days & I'll keep you posted how Monday goes!

• Welcome Heather! Another one with great experience, brill!

And what an experience - Miami?! Bleedin 'ell thats a way to go! Dublin sounds nice though..ever thought of the Dingle marathon..always looked very pretty on the web site/ articles etc??

I've gotta half coming up as well - Wombourne, West Midlands on the 20th june so I'm looking forward to that. Not really as an indicator as we're a bit off Spetember yet! But I am aiming to enjoy it at any rate.

Good luck for Newry and let us know how you get on...I wish you a fit, strong and healthy finish! Take that water on!

• hey,

i'm gj and nottingham will be my first marathon! been meaning to do one for a few years, but always found an excuse to not go through with it... not this time- i will be there in september, no more excuses!

i'm pretty inexperienced with regards to running, last year took it up for the first time as a new years resolution. (after years of telling myself i would). loved it and ran the liverpool half in 2:30. then stopped. and havent really done much since.

only started training last week, was a bit worried at having only 16 weeks to build up to a marathon. but my aim is to get round, not aiming for a specific time. have pretty reasonable base fitness from football and hockey, but i know the only way to run is to well run..

managed to run for an hour today and it felt ok, think i went bout 10k... so still along way to go!

hope you are all having a run filled weekend,

gj image

• Welcome Heather, good luck in tomorrows marathon. 

welcome gj. I did Liverpool half last two years. You from North West?

• hi paul, yeah i live in liverpool! from nottingham originally though, hense the marathon choice.
  • dj - i live in wigan (originally from Bolton) and work in warrington. I like Liverpool half, a great run.
  • Welcome gj...

Good friend of mine ran liverpool Half this year and said it was a good race. 15 weeks to train to get round? No problems! Good start with an hour of running though, well done.

Rest day, kinda enforced, for me following a visit from the father in law last night!

Off out for a pub meal now but promise only one pint of the Black Stuff, then up for a 9.5 in the morning, early on.

Anyone seen Colin lately?!

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, just thought i would pop in and say hello.

Just had a quick glance through the thread and am seriously thinking of doing this race. A few of us have just done edinburgh last weekend and are running again at this event, but i cannot make my mind up to do the half or full mara.
    I must admit, this time last week i was saying "never again"

CG / Jules...Have also looked at Wombourne but i dont know much on the race as i believe its a old race resurrected. Doing the Potters arf on 13th june so it would also mean 2 consecutive weeks/halfs. I think after edinburgh and that heat, shouldnt be a problem.

Paul P....I see youre from sunny wigan, thats 2 of us then. I was also in Paris this year and managed 4.16pb, and hope to be back next year. Totally agree with you on edinburgh !!! Made even worse when you are going past the finish area(race course) at 9m and know you have to do another 17m, surely nottingham cant be as cruel as that.

• Welcome Gold Pig! and serious kudos for surviving the heat of Edinburgh. that's a great race  I'd love to be able to do some day.

Wombourne? 2 consecutive half's a week apart is not something I'd like to do personally...and I know that The Boss of 'Team Jules' would DEFINITELY not like it encouraged! So definitely respect that decision! But if you do decide to enter hop on over to the Wombourne thread and let us know. We'll get together for a chat?

"surely nottingham cant be as cruel as that" Oh no....famous last words...'we're doomed now laddie!'

• Hi gold pig. yes very sunny wigan image. Out for a 6 mile this morning in the rain haha. Had to find my hat, thought i'd finished with that this summer. Well done on your PB. was a lovely course Paris with great crowds.
  • Gold Pig wrote (see)

Totally agree with you on edinburgh !!! Made even worse when you are going past the finish area(race course) at 9m and know you have to do another 17m, surely nottingham cant be as cruel as that.

No - you go past the finish area at 13 miles. So much betterimage
  • *follows Gold Pig & thiswayup onto the thread*  Another Edinburgh survivor barging in... Can I join you even though I'm only doing the half or have I got to b*gger off onto a different thread???
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

This way up.....its at 9m when you are running past the race course. 13m was where the relay runners changed over and no where near our finish area.

Caz...welcome to this thread and i'm sure it doesnt matter how far you running, so dont bugger off.

PP...i gonna wait till after when i know the rain has stopped for the day. It will only be a few miles anyway and nothing heavy. 

• Hello all,

Just back from the Peak District, got very wet on Saturday putting the tent up, but dodged it this morning when packing up. And it got blooming cold at night, ever morning I woke up with my hamstrings and calves in knots, so no running until tea time today.

Welcome to the new guys, I hope you're all enjoying the seasonal weather we're getting, what a contrast from last weekend

• Nice to see some more Edinburgh survivors over here, but think you guys have crossed wires.

Edinburgh is mile 9 when we passed the finish area - thiswayup is talking about RHM when you pass it at 13 miles. We lose the halfers at this point, but the bad news is, we pass it again at about 24 miles, when we are on the wrong side of the river - so it is doubly cruel in that respect, though knowing how close I was to the end at this point, it acted as a bit of a spur.

Have just been talked into a half in Malvern this weekend, and doing Norway Half(midnight sun) on 19th...when is too many miles too many???