Options

Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• Options

I think I saw you Gary in the first half. Did you have a grey vest on! Results are up btw!

MY Race report,!  - first mile in 9 dead, got to 5 in 45.30 mins and 10 in 90.30, as planned. Through the half in 1:58 feeling ok but not easy. Quite a bit hotter than expected. 13-18 were mentally tough and I dropped nearer 10m/m and then Holme Pierrepoint!

It was soul destroying to run 1 mile+ in one direction, then double back for about 2 back in the opposite direction and then around the top and about 2 down the other side. Flat and you could see exactly what the next few miles had in store! Rallied a bit though and cracked on for a while around about mile 20-21. Then it became very tough on the canal paths but I still seemed to be overtaking folk as I didn`t realise how many would stop or walk and both options became very tempting!

The last few miles last forever don`t they? A couple of times I thought, `maybe I just didn`t see the mile 23 ,marker, or 24` only for it to appear a few minutes later! At about 24.5 miles a very slim, leggy lady wearing a crop top and very tight shorts went past me which spurred me on, briefly and I couldn`t help laugh and grin although my worlds of pain were all colliding with each shuffled step. At 24-25 you can see the finish but you go past it on the other riverbank but passing the 25 mark felt great as, for the first time in about an hour, I was sure I could achieve my main goals of finishing and running it all. Great to roll up with the crowd cheering all the way to the finish. Saw lovely wife and sprog but didn`t have the energy left to get teary and then saw next door neighbour too!

Amazing to get the medal and see the time of 4:09, which was pretty much what I`d predicted and a fair reflection of where I`m at now. I was wobbly and seeing stars at the end but after some sugry tea and a doughnut, I felt fine half an hour later albeit with very sore (egyptian) toes! Already written an evaluation in my log but no plans or time to do another for a good while.

• Options

so my first marathon...

4.26.49 well chuffed!

Found it ok actually my training paid off! Quite enjoyed the route albeit some of the second half was a bit quiet.  Not too hilly either which is always a bonus! Didnt stop and didnt walk.  Remained steady all the way, even managed a sprint finish! am on  high now - amazing!

ran most of the way with a guy I met who really kept me going called matt but lost his number so cant say thanks!

Already planning my next one now!

• Options

Hi ET,

No, wasn't me, club vest as in the avatar.

Did bump into cake and foofighter for the 1st time - the 2 things that got my attention were the fag in the hand and the blue Adidas top. The triathlon 'pirate' lycra shorts were the final giveaway tho. Had a chat in the NB tent and then shot off to the lucazade tent for a pace band and a free drink.

• Options
    image Well I had fun. Day started out ok other than the cat demanding attention when I was trying to get out of the door, Met up with Foo and got there with no problems. Garry found us and we had a little chin wag. Saw a fetchie mate on the new balance stall, who was far to busy working to be chatting to muppets and had a chat with Steve Ho and Baz. Got to the start line and chatted to the finest bloke on the planet Jedi masters Micker and Phil and started talking rubbish to XB.

Took it steady for the first 6 miles just in case and then had a little walk for half a mile and carried on. Talked the usual banter and rubbish going round. Saw Alison off here but didn't have the presence to mind to give her a big hug. From about 10 miles to 13 was a lot of folks struggling with the heat and scared them into running a bit. Did see someone in a pirate custom the wantable. image Had been chatting away with three fretchie's in spartan costume and got some good banter going able to wish them well as they finished and then took the long run to the right.

Started getting really bad stomach cramps after 14 miles and had to take it easy. Tried to use the toilets at the camp site and they where locked BOO! Wasn't a situation could have gone behind a tree for, the lucosage was to concentrated and played hell with my insides. Struggled on and finally managed to get the water sports center. Only one small problem Martin Yelling was there with a big microphone. “Oh look we have a pirate on the course! Where are you going pirate” “err just need the bathroom” please can it not have been on the marafun talk blog? On the way back out bumped into Liz Yelling and to my credit just said hello instead of going Liz your amazing! Dump that silly lad with the microphone and run away with me?

Felt a lot better after than and did a bit of half running, half walking because my calf was screaming by then. Got to the 22 mile point and met up with a staff sgt from the para's finished the race with him chatting. Would like to say I helped him get there and was fresher than him. But he was carrying a 44 ld Burgin and I wasn't.

Didn't do a good time but wasn't expecting to and was far to hot for a pb. Still got me out of the house and more fun that most thinks with your clothes on. image

• Options
    Nice report Cake. Sorry I didn`t see you today. I also didn`t see Liz Yelling. Gutted!
  • Options
    Great responses on here from everyone, pleased we all got through it ok and also pleased that (fingers crossed) no-one was seriously injured...I've not heard anything yet that would indicate that??

Richard - the guy whose legs went - was that towards the end of the half or the full?

Garry - the Luc tent was closed when I got there after my massage! image
  • Options
    Good report Cake - I looked out for you but couldn't see ya! Well done on getting round, the weather was far too hot for us all in my opinion. You watch, tomorrow it will p*ss down !!
  • Options
    near the end of the half, just as you get into the final stretch covered with trees
  • Options

I have to say I found it really tough yesterday. It was my 7th marathon and I'd done more training than I had for the previous ones, including fell running and more long runs and speedwork and races etc. I was so close to stopping and walking at mile 18, I just felt like I'd completely run out of energy and my legs felt fatigued. Maybe it was the heat, I don't know, but I somehow managed to carry on, although at a slower pace.

I just managed a pb of 3hrs 38mins, so I can't complain. I threw up immediately after I'd crossed the line though, how embarrassing.

Well done everyone on your times!  My legs are sore today, but not as bad as usual (yet). Got some sore chaffing though, ow!

My Garmin said 26.4 as well and also said I'd reached each mile just before the mile markers - could have just been the satellite, but dunno.

• Options

Cake!!! It was good to see you!  image  Bloody hell, I found that really hard!  Undulating???? I thought that first half was very hilly and phew it was HOT HOT HOT!!!  Well, my first marathon over...very slow 5.07! I can't say I will be doing any more marathons after this...I am just sooo glad it's over!

I agree, it was nasty having to double back on the same route...soul destroying!!! The last 3 miles were horrendous for me, but I di manage a sprint(well, I felt like I was sprinting!!) finish! I was smiling like a cheshire cat when I crossed the finish! Delighted it's over, but I will be sticking to half maras now!

I feel proud though! I cam back from pneumonia 5 months ago and I bloody did it!! I know my Mom would have been proud too and that's what kept me going! imageimageimage!!!!

Well done everyone...some brilliant results!!!

Ali XXXXXxxxx

• Options

Congratulations to everyone who completed that hilly, soul-destroying thing!  That was my first marathon and next time I want something a little flatter and a bit more involving!

I got a PB!!  Woohoo!!

I'll stop there.  HMs sound good for a while.

• Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭

Ouch

That was the most painful 5 hours of my life.

But at least I did manage to have a chat to Cake. Poor bloke had nowhere to shove his choccy!!

2:15 for the first 13.1 and 2:46 for the second half.

• Options
    I saw you as well then XB...well, the back of you anyway! image  All I could remember to llok for was the Balti King t-shirt and was so excited that I saw him...I left my running paartner to run and say hello to him...but I do remember seeing the back of you next to him at about mile 10 I think!
  • Options
    Morning all, hope your not hurting too much.

It was marathon 20 for me and number 2 in 8 days and after trying for 4 years to beat my PB, it finally fell !! YIPPEE My Garmin measure 26.47 so have an unofficial 3.53.16 and an official PB 3.55.22. Mentally I used the first 20miles as a warm up and then the last 6 miles as a race. Its something I tried last week in Wolves and it seems to have worked yesterday.

I didn't find the hills too bad, however I did find the first half way too congested. I was also really surprised how many people were dropping like flies - I hope they are all ok.

KMJ Dont be embarrassed about barfing at the end, I burst into tears - now that was embarrassing.

Did someone say the results were up already - any idea where?

I also saw "a very slim, leggy lady wearing a crop top and very tight shorts" Not surprised she spurred you on LOL.

Shame I didn't manage to catch up with anyone.

Well better rest up, got an ultra on Saturday...
  • Options

Great effort everyone - it was pretty warm yesterday (and I only did the half!!)

I went to the Motivation Station at mile 19 to join in the cheering with the Marathon Talk team and got to have a chat with Liz Yelling.

Did the encouragement help? Hinder? Go unnoticed?

Really interested to know what you all think

Congratulations everyone!! 

• Options
    The encouragement was very welcome! image It's what keeps me going.
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    The motivation station was brilliant. Really uplifting. I went to the BBQ the previous night and was made very welcome and got a grat shout from Martin and Tom and a huge cheer from the team. It made my day.
  • Options

At last a sub 4 marathon, 5 minutes of my previous PB despite running nearly a 1/3 of a mile longer then the official distance but who caresimage, even better the legs feel fantastic today.

Really enjoyed the course and felt the half marathon course is what a mass running events is all about, closed roads, adequate drink stations, countryside,  and accesable parking in a major city centre. Plus those who have never done anything like this before a great way for people to experience an event like this. For those who thought the half was hilly have a go at Clumber in October and Clowne in December and then compare.

The marathon course though on you own for periods is flatter than amsterdam which helps, and if you get talking to fellow runners the miles soon tick off!

For once I a now able to enjoy the day, my time and not trail through my diary as to when I can do another one to get under that bloody 4 hour barrier! Happy Days!!!image

• Options
    Well done Shaun !!
  • Options

well done to everyone image what a day! i am really stuggling to walk today - very glad a booked the day off!! i got round in 5hr 48 and was so so happy! i had tried stratford in april and pulled out at 21 but somehow this time i just kept going it was amazing!!! i thought the guys at mile 19 were superb. the whole thing was in my opinion - nice small easy to carry water bottles no silly cups! it was great and i can now say i have done my marathon image (never again!) congratualtions everyone xx

• Options

I also thought the motivation at mile 19 was FANTASTIC, really spurred me on! Whoever was on the loudspeaker there was fab, he must have called out every single person's name!! I felt very gratefull at that point...so thank you to all those supporters...and all the others along the route! X

Well done Maelca! And...YAY...we didn't get swept!!!! image

• Options

Does anyone know if Jules did it? Haven't seen him on here for some time?

I was also looking out for Micknphil, does anyone know if they did it in the end?

• Options
    i completed this in 4hrs 47 for my first ever full marathon? not sure if thats a good time but am pleased with it found the lack of crowd support on the second half hard, not sure if i ll run another full though but it wont be at the nottingham thats for sure!
  • Options
    Alison Hornby 2 wrote (see

And...YAY...we didn't get swept!!!! image

lol!! yes indeed! alothough some bus did come past me and a few motor bikes but i shooed them away lol!! you did a great time - must be pleased image

i saw micknphil come past me at mile two.

well done tractorgirlsam i think thats great!! it was my first - ish too am i was nearer 6 hours!!

• Options

OMG! How come no-one told me about the hills???? After returning from a 16 week layoff due to injury injury and off the back of 12 weeks training I can honestly say this was the one of the hardest events I have ever done both phyiscally & mentally!  It was too hot & too hilly....... at mile 11 though I was ringing wet with sweat I also was shivering and had goosepimples...... never a good sign!  Thank you to the lovely girl who got me through the final 2 miles at a jog - I would have walked without her encouragement.  How any of you marathoners set off on the second lap is beyond me - well done guys!

Mick & Phil - you chatted with one of my mates who was also haveing a 'mare on the half - she wouldn't have finished without your encouragement - thank you from her - you are a complete inspiration as ever! image I just made it in under the 2 hours - a humbling experience which makes me realise just how amazing the human body/mind is.   

• Options
    Ah..sorry I missed micknphil, but glad they made it!
  • Options
    image micknphil where on fetch last night they made it ok. But like most of use struggled from what I read. Well done everyone (((group hug))) image
  • Options
    So who's up for next year then?! hehe
  • Options
    I might do the half next year, just because it's really well organised with good support and it's a nice route. Will probably opt for a flatter full marathon though.