Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• Agreed Gary. I was also heading for any shade! I think Gremilns can take some of the fun out of running.
  • Sorry gang didn’t get back with the compression stuff had a very interesting day yesterday and didn’t have the time to get the info will do as soon as I have the time. image

Had stomach cramps as well, I think the lucosaid being handed out was too concentrated. Normally train half the time with the stuff so tummy normally ok with it. XB have you had an e-mail from Alison? image Wasn’t very happy with my time Sunday so like foo I have unfinished business and will be chopping wood over the winter. Good luck to those running GNR by the way.
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

Aaahh, Mr Blabbermouth Cake. Thanks for sharing our conversationimage

I feel I shall be nagged. A lot.

That lucozade gel was vile. I normally like free food but not that stuff. Needs to be more liquidy.

• Cheers Cake - am looking forward to it image
  • Alsion - re the rash after drinking lucozade - was it all over your body or just in one area? I ask as that happened to me a few weeks ago but I think mine was a virus as I had not had any probs with Lucozade before!....I'd be interested to know what happened to you exactly!....

Garry - I too think its a combination of gels where the stomach is working harder to break them down, and the intensity of the race - after all your stomach is trying to break down the gel whilst we are pushing ourselves to the limit - not ideal! - I too was running over to any available bit of shade, and my Garmin also said 13.23 odd miles!

Cake - look forward to the info when you have the time image

• i agree with not running the racing line adding distance but i think the difference kicked in in the first 3 miles or so.....maybe could be de at that point to the bigger field....no biggie anywayy i guess...just means 26.2 will be easier next time...
  • Can't say where it kicked in for me. I just know I definitely noticed it in the last few miles!
  • Hi Gary, I noticed 0.1 within the first mile, stayed constant until 8 miles where it increased to .15 and then from 13 miles it stayed at a constant .25 until the end.

Anyway - lifes a bitch and I still enjoyed it;)
  • Strange possible parallel between marathons and childbirth.

Despite the pain you go through at the time, its mainly the positives you remember afterwards and within a short time the prospect of doing it all again doesn't seem so bad.....

• Gary - I like the simile, but another child? Not on your nelly! image
  • By the way guys, I went to my local Sweatshop store today to cash in on loads of discount vouchers I've been collecting over the last few weeks/months, never been there before!!

I purchased some new socks and decided to take the plunge on some 'Skins' leggins! I was waiting for Cake's hard core synopsis (which I'm still intrigued to hear!) but decided to buy a pair seeing as I had a 20% off voucher! I tried them on whenI got home - they feel tight (obviously!) so I think they will take a little while to get used to running in them, but I'm very excited to try (not till next week tho!) image
  • I've got the powersox and half tights. Not convinced yet.
  • Interesting.....will report back next week my views!! image
  • Too late now Gary, I reckon! My legs are nearly `right` and planning a steady 6 tonight to see how I am.
  • Not till next week. ‘Er indoors and the kids have had to put up with my ‘marathon head’ for the past 16 weeks. Time for a non running weekend. Illuminations look tempting....

• well its day 4 post marathon and Im feeling almost human image

Been back to the gym but not going to attempt any running until weekend as my knees still feel a bit stiff.  I seriously underestimated the effect the marathon would have on my body!!

It has definitely NOT put me off though and Im already planning my next one!

Having a sports massage later cant wait!

• Still no running for me!!  I feel fine but I came back too quickly after London last year & ended up having to take 2 months off a few months later.  I don't want to repeat that mistake so intend to take a good couple of weeks off. 

I have a lovely weekend planned, me & hubby are tomorrow night heading to the Merchant Hotel Belfast along with a bottle of free bubbly that was part of the deal.  Then Saturday night we are having a bit of a hooley at our house which no doubt will go onto all hours!! 

I love the week after a marathon when you dont have to run & can eat rubbish & over indulge to your hearts content!!

• Heather - gives you a great reason to run hey image

Well I only did the half but am waiting until Sunday for my first slow short run! I did go for a swim this morning though which seems to have eased things easily!
  • Did 6 slow miles tonight. Raring to go and get racing again but how do I know if I`m ready? Want to get back into training properly but don`t want an injury.
  • ...me too....steady 6.....roll on weekend..
  • Well this time tomorrow the trainers will be on again for a 30 mile XC Ultra race. 3rd Marathon in 14 days...

I think the sound of a hotel and free champers sounds better though.
  • Hot tub - you are crazy! image
  • Malakite, Dont I know it - 3 x 30 milers next weekend at The Toad Challenge, then 1 month to tapper for Snowdon.
  • Hi all,

Hope you're all recovering well.  It's been a bit of a manic week this week so I haven't got much training done.  Managed some swimming and cycling and will be heading out for a run this weekend. I feel good though and my muscles feel normal again.  Sadly I look my usual strange self in my race photos, I'm definitely not very photogenic!!

Good luck with all your crazy running Hot Tob, hope you have fun.

• Did my first run since Sunday yesterday. A very gentle 4 miler which wasn't too bad. After RSM my motivation to run had completely gone, but I was chomping at the bit on Friday. Took it nice and slow and felt ok afterwards. The left foot is a bit sore today though so just cross training tomorrow and will see how I feel on Monday.

I've got a couple of races in mind for next month, Badger Bite and Belles of Pattingham or Schneider 5, but it'll depend on how the recovery goes and will be waiting for Tricky Dicky's rejection for his small stroll round London Town.

• All those races are great Colin - especially the Schneider 5 which is now the Fireworks 5 (but I would say that its our club race). I'll see ya at the Bell's then!
  • Cheers for the endorsements there Hot Tub, I'm entering the Badger and Fireworks. Can't do Belles because it clashes with having some visitors, the selfish so and so's.

Another 4 miler today, feeling quite good generally although the foot is still niggling me.

I've noticed the entry for RSM is open already. It's tempting, but I'll wait for Ricky Branson's rejection letter first.

• XB wrote (see)

Aaahh, Mr Blabbermouth Cake. Thanks for sharing our conversationimage

I feel I shall be nagged. A lot.

image You say something like that to pirates and you get press ganged. image

Sorry still not had time to sort out finding all the conprestion stuff. sister got married at the weekend. image

• So Heather was the hotel and champers as good as you'd planned??
  • It was indeed HTA!!  I sat in the rooftop jacuzzi with the sights of Belfast all around sipping champagne - bliss!!  I'm starting to think my liver needs a bit of a rest now, time to go back on the straight & narrow!!

I'm going to venture out for an easy 5 or 6 miles tomorrow, then hopefully I'll get back down to running club on Thursday night.  I just plan to ease myself back in.   I'm actually sitting wondering what marathon to do next!!!  I'm thinking Belfast marathon on 2nd May could be the one - its my local race & I've yet to tackle it!  Or Barcelona in March could be tempting!!  

Decisions, decisions.........