Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• Hi all,

I had a great day at the Chester marathon (well - apart from the last 3 miles!).  It was so well organised and everything was so smooth.  The course was mainly on the Greenway, which is a tarmaced over old railway line.  It was closed to the public, and there were also road closures where it did go onto the road, so it was good from that point of you.  The Greenway was a bit dull in that it was just miles and miles out and back in more or less a straight line, but personally, I didn't mind it at all, and it meant on the way back you knew exactly where you were and what was coming.  It was quite a small field as well, which meant it was a very friendly race, and the medal and t-shirt were great as well.  I'd definitely reccommend it. I finished in 4:03:54.  I was going for 4 but just set out  just a bit too quickly. was feeling very comfortable at 8.50ish miles until about 20miles, I started to slow from 20miles, it really hit me at 23 miles and I just about shuffled home.  Still, it was a great day and I'm feeling good today so can't really complain.  The weather was pretty good as well, not too hot.  I'm so glad I wasn't running in Edinburgh, I didn't think I was going to finish my 10miles last Sunday so well done to all of you who made it round the marathon.

Caz - come and join our thread - I'm sure it's better than a different one!!

How did you get on at Newry Heather?

• Colin Gallop wrote (see)

We're going to a site near Bakewell and the trainers will be packed, but very discreetly, "oh look, my running kit, how did that get in my bag?"

Another 5 miles today, running a bit quicker than I have in a while and enjoying it.

image Just in case next time go on a day trip to Haversage and go to the Walnut club there. Best food for miles. I live just over the hill in sunny Sheffield. image
    CazSoul wrote (see)
    *follows Gold Pig & thiswayup onto the thread*  Another Edinburgh survivor barging in... Can I join you even though I'm only doing the half or have I got to b*gger off onto a different thread???
    image Go on Caz do the full. You will like it. image
    Suposed to be doing the half this year but the voises are starting to say go on, go on, go on, in a Father ted have a cup of tea kind of way.
  • Nope, No, NO!!  You are not going to sway me Mr Cakey Bake, I can honestly say I didn't enjoy running a marathon at all... not even that last little bit when you can see the finish line... so halfs & 10ks for me from now on in except the little matter of the Kilomathon in October. image

*plumps thread cushion up*  May as well get comfy then...  *pats adjacent cushion* Come join me Gold Pig.

• Lol. - that sounded a pretty definite 'NO!' Caz. image

Budge up - is there room for another one? (or are we banned from sitting next to each other until after the race? image)

Suppose it is about time the Edinburgh party finished and the serious running discussions started again. image 

• *plumps up another cushion for Fiona*  Sit youself down lass.  Pint of Tenants is it??? image
  • CazSoul wrote (see)
    *plumps up another cushion for Fiona*  Sit youself down lass.  Pint of Tenants is it??? image

image - no thanks - still getting over the effects of Sunday.  Healthy lifestyle for a wee bit me thinks.

Just been sitting here working out my training plans for the coming months.  These weeks get ticked off so quickly when you get back into a plan.  Before you know it we will be meeting up in Nottingham and all the hard work will be done.

At least the weather is a bit cooler - please God Nottingham doesn't have a heatwave on the 12th. image x

• I'm in! Ran Edinburgh as my first marathon on 23rd May but all my best-laid plans for a sub-4 hour time were scuppered when the desert heat turned the race into basic training for the French Foreign Legion! image

Consequently, I've entered Nottingham as my 2nd marathon and I'm just gonna try to beat my Edinbugh time (4:33) and try to run much more sensibly and even-paced than I did in Edinbugh where I crashed and burned timewise (1:58 for first half, 2:35 for 2nd half). Hope temperature in Nottingham in September is not a repeat of Edinbugh in May. Begining to think I am jinxed with high temparatures for every race I enter...

The race website doesn't give much info on the course - everything is "coming soon". For those who have run it before, what sort of course is it? My biggest gripe with Edinburgh (other than the heat) was the monotony of the 2nd half - just never-ending tree-lined roads that all looked the same. Hope Nottingham is more interesting...

• Hi everyone!  Another Edinburgh survivor (just) here!

I think I am defo going to do this, though have not plucked up the courage to actually enter yet.  I need something to motivate myself as I have been stuck in a rut of not running and boozing and eating since Edinburgh...it must have traumatised meimage!

Glad to see so many on this thread already!

• Hi RP, have you got any rocky road???  *looks hopefully at RP*  Come join me & Fiona on the half couch... Its much more comfy on here than the full distance couch.  image
  • Do you know, there is still some rocky road left in my fridge!  I forgot....not that I have gone short on other stuffimage!

Will be sure to make a fresh batch for this though.  Do you think this thread will desend into a food discussion thread too?!

• Now that we're here there's a good chance it could all revolve around food. image
  • Oh excellent.  Am off to sign up now then.
  • image Red Panda did you say food? image 
  • Sorry....Didn't mean to say the "F" wordimage!
  • Very tempted to enter the half (ran it twice before) but my mojo has gone at the moment so i can't be arsed, also my once a year super sprint triathlon is the following weekend and i also want to do the Birmingham half in October, oh what do i do????????? could i manage all 3?????????   answers on a postcard to:

Get your ass moving,  Settee in the lounge,   Lazyville.

• ElbowBones wrote (see)

The race website doesn't give much info on the course - everything is "coming soon". For those who have run it before, what sort of course is it? My biggest gripe with Edinburgh (other than the heat) was the monotony of the 2nd half - just never-ending tree-lined roads that all looked the same. Hope Nottingham is more interesting...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news EB. I did this as my first marathon in 2008 and the second half is even more boring than Edinburgh. As someone posted earlier it really is a marathon of two halfs - the 1st half is a busy, slightly lumpy, city half; the second half you separate from the 1/2 marathon runners just before they finish (as PM4 clarified earlier - thanks) and it becomes flat, boring and lonely. But hopefully not too hot!

• Wow, sounds like Edinburgh was the place to be this year- am I the only one who didn't do it ?! image well done guys
    day 3 of my new life reunited with running, and managed a crafty 40 mins after work image not bothering to look at distances just yet until I get back into the habit properly!

Did someone mention food above? Count me in...

Happy running guys image
  • Beavis (www.runningsponsorme.org/peterhurdman1 wrote (see)

Very tempted to enter the half (ran it twice before) but my mojo has gone at the moment so i can't be arsed, also my once a year super sprint triathlon is the following weekend and i also want to do the Birmingham half in October, oh what do i do????????? could i manage all 3?????????   answers on a postcard to:

Get your ass moving,  Settee in the lounge,   Lazyville.

Dear Get your ass moving,

Of course you can do it, treat it as a training run with the added bonus of seeing all the pish heads from Edi again. image

Pish head No. 13185

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Morning all

Managed to get out with the club last night for the 1st time since Feb, and did 8m on a road/trail route which i enjoyed. When i say enjoyed, it was the route and not the running, legs were like lead. Oh happy days.
    Celebrated with a few pints of Guinness, so that meant my healthy regime lasted a day or so.image 

Is the 2nd half of the marathon really that boring, is there any support. I'm just trying to compare it with the LSRs i do on my own at the weekends and wonder if it is any tougher mentally.

Caz....Is that your number for this half ? Doesnt matter which we run, be good to meet up in the pub later though and yeh i owe you a big hug image

• GP - it really is that boring. On the plus side it is flat as a pancake, the closest thing to a hill is when you go over the bridge across the river. The race starts/finishes outside the centre of Nottingham, but there are some great pubs in the centre - including ones that do Guinness.
  • Ahh, so this is where all of the Edinburgh lot have disappeared to! i thought you'd al deserted me! image

back in training now, another 10k this Sunday and next Sat, then taking it easy during the world cup and concentrating on my 'hydration' levels image im only going to run the Half this year and leave the full length to you hardcore folk!

Caz, did you get that hotel link i sent you?

RP, how did i know i'd find you in the midst of food talk!?

GP, club running so soon after Edi!? sir, i salute you!

• COLIN! - welcome back! The search parties were nearly scrambled!

and HUGE welcome to all the Edinburgh run-in-the-sun heroes and heroines!

Just downloaded the Smartcoach training plan for this marathon. Since the e-mail I (we?) received gladly informed me that I could NOW start training for the marathon - thanks for that. Wondered what I'd been doing this past few months! LOL!

Seems a good plan but as always a hefty pinch of salt. Especially the speedwork days - 6:05 anyone?! So come Monday...14 weeks...not that I'm getting pressurised or owt...!?

• Yep, thanks for the link Super Tanner.  Will discuss it with Mr CS tonight, might have to opt for something cheaper after the bashing I gave the credit card in Edinburgh... £88 for one night...that link, not Edinburgh... you do NOT want to know how much that hotel cost. image  Is there a Premier Inn or Holiday Inn Express close to the start???  Its difficult to work out where to stay as the route isn't up yet and the start position in the description is a bit vague to say the least.

Just do the half GP, more time for the pub then... image  That was my number for Edinburgh, where I was indeed a pish head... just ask my partner in crime Fiona...

• image - who? - ME?!!

Don't know what you mean Caz.

You'll have to let me know what you decide on the hotel front.  Difficult when the route isn't up.  I don't mind a bit of a walk - loosens the legs up.  A nice small B&B might be cheaper than a hotel. image

GP - well done on your run.  The first few are always the worst until you get back into a routine - or so they say.  I can't comment - haven't put my trainers back on since Edi. image

Darren - make sure you keep yourself well hydrated during the football - it's very, very important. image

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

TWU..cheers for that. Just waiting for the route on the site to appear then i would have some idea as to where i can find digs.

Darren...So where is the after party. I want somewhere to stay near the start/ finish area, close to the pubs where we will meet and near the finest kebab shop in nottingham. Hope i not asking for too much.
    I am making all these plans and have not entered yet. image

Caz...i want to do a autumn mara and as RP says "the price is right" or was that Leslie Crowther. I dont need to ask Fiona, we have photographic evidence.image 

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    Fiona...X post
  • Photographic evidence - not the most flattering photo in the world I have to admit! - but who cares - that night was party, party, party. image - or is there another photo even worse that I haven't seen? imageimage
  • Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    Fiona...i dont think there is anything to worry about with the photos, its the video on youtube where you n Caz are dancing on the tables that is worrying. imageimage
  • I'm quite proud of the fact that we could still dance on the tables after running 26 miles in that heat. image

Mind you - the pole did help a bit. image