Experian Robin Hood Marathon

Comments

• LOL Darren, did you really get called Spanner?  That is spooky!image.  I always go for the energizer (berry) SIS gel, with the caffeine, but have tried the orange too.   Does the orange also have caffeine?

Well done on resisiting the ice cream, it's too easy to eat, and demolish, as I have! Not sure about that race.  Have done it the past two years, but it depends if I have any social engagements on the Saturday nightimage.  Are you?

Good idea.  I don't mind so much carrying the smaller bottles, but the bigger ones are a right pain.  Rather that than a water belt/ camel back, like I say though! I have got round 17 miles fine on just 300 ml, but that was in the Winter, not sure it would be enough right now.

• yep, so your name calling is not so original afterall! image i think the fact that ive had a few 10ks lately has helped top get me back on an even keal pretty quickly! managed to PB with 35:12mins on Sunday so cutting out that ice cream must have helped!

thats it for my racing now though until after the world cup! i'll mostly be on a liquid diet for the next few weekends! image prob going to skip the manchester one, to close to the city ground for me!

think my last batch of gels were the standard orange ones? (i usually buy them in a box of 20)

• Well done on your fab pb!  That's damn fast.  Sub 35 next?

How many gels do you use on a marathon then?  5 for me normally.

• 4 for me, take them at 1hr then every 30mins, hopefully one day i'll get down to only needing 3! image
  • If your looking for cheap gels follow the link below for SIS go gels, £26 per box of 20 and free postage.

http://www.fuelmuscle.co.uk/productPage.asp?Pro=0300701

• Good tip, thanks for that.
  • Redpanda wrote (see)

The only problem with sweets is that they can get sticky (especially if it's warm) and where to stash them?!

I don't particularly like gels, but the SIS ones really do the job for me, would not use anything else now.

Used jelly beans at Edi - not as a deliberate plan, left my gels in Leeds and that was all I could get hold of on Saturday night. I found them ok, but they did indeed get sticky - by the end of the race had 5 left in each pocket, which were glued into a solid lump.

Agree re. cups - at Fleetwood they only had two stations with bottles, the rest were cups only. On first attempt ended up with about 80% over my face, 10% in my stomach and 10% in my lungs. Not surprisingly I didn't try them again.

I find best recovery drink is a pint of beer. Preferably washed down with another pint of beer.

• thiswayup - what's fleetwood like? Am mentally considering a triple set of maras at the moment - Fleetwood, Wolverhampton and Robin Hood, with GNR to finish.....

Cake - are you doing GNR this year? Or was it last year you did it and I'm getting confused? image

• I agree on the sweets topic. I took jelly beans (Aldi! Much cheapness!) at Stratford and they were a very sticky mess by the end.

Darren - I like the sound of the recovery drink, if only i had a blender! May have to invest in a cheap one!

Fiona - i will make a special trip to Sainsbury's to search out the ForGoodnessshakes! Far too exclusive usually! I agree though, the chocolate does sound good!

My number for the Wombourne Half came through today as well (June 20th) here in the Middle of the country. So not a lot of tapering for it as trying to be good and stick to the marathon plan. May just tame down the pace a little...we'll see!

• i have it on good work that the actual jelly beans from jelly bean company do not melt apparently they have a fancy coating on them! image

anyone doing hanly 'arf on sun?

• Vixx - Fleetwood is flatimage. The course came in for a bit of criticism last year, although I thought it was ok, apparently they are changing the route this year. It was a small field only 300 total, of which about half did the full marathon. Quite a good atmosphere amongst the runners, but almost spectator-free. My biggest gripe was the limited bottled drinks - I just can't drink from a cup when running. The best thing about the small field was easy parking and short toilet queues!
  • Jules - I thought the SIS REGO recovery drink was lush. I used it after my long runs and was a very welcome drink afterwards. Whether it helped the recovery process is a different matter, but I guess I now have some experience to compare it with. I will certainly be using it again. Maybe SIS could use me in an advert:-

Col "The incredibly slow marathon runner" Gallop recommends SIS REGO recovery drink. It might not make him recover quickly, but it tastes lush! image

I like the FGS Shakes too, I can get them from the local TESCO's, but they are expensive, when you can get Frijj milkshakes at 2 for £1.50 or whatever offer is on.

• hi

sorry can't remember who asked but think it is bottles for the water at RH. Don't know about the lucozade stations though.

sulking this week, training none existent for last 2 weeks, first week lil boy was ill, managed 11 miles Friday now i have his blooming cold.

Can i just ask as i have never run more than a half marathon, for which i just used an isotonic drink and water, does eveyone use gels or sweets etc for the longer distances? I bought a gel to try but have not run far enough to give it a go or should i try it earlier as i am proper foobarred after 10 + miles.

cheers

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Colin...have to agree with you, nowt wrong with the SiS rego recovery drinks...very nice. Mind you Darrens little recovery drink sounds good too.

Maelca....i will be there on sunday 1145, thats my number and not the time image Dont forget to say hello.

Jules ...Do you know if they taking entries on the day at Wombourne?

• @Gold Pig - not sure about the entry on the day. Try the website there's a contact number... This page here says 'yes' there is..

So me and 'Another Hill' will see you there then...?!

@Colin - I have just returned from a (for me) rather rapid Tempo Run and tried the sample sachet of the SIS Rego Lemon and Lime stuff. I think I fall somewhere between 'tastes lush' and 'makes me hurl!' Don't think I'll be investing in a big bottle of the stuff!

And again we're a bit deprived, no Tescos near us to try 'For Goodness Shakes.'

Rachie - I'm a gel man. I like the thicker kind that you can get from Decathlon. You need to wash them down with water but they taste better to me and seem to do more for me. Your 10 mile mark seems about right. Maybe try one at 8 miles if you're running about 12 in training? then take it from there?

• Jules - I use the strawberry flavoured REGO powder. Have you looked at the FGS website and thought about buying from them direct http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com/. Still not cheap, but you get a discount by buying in bulk, plus they do their shakes in powder form too.

Rachie - I used SIS Go Gels on the RSM, one every 5 miles, but only use them on runs of 15 miles plus in training.

• morning,

thanks for the answers, going to try another long steady run this weekend so will give the gels a go then.

Sorry, another question i always run with my ipod on (can't stand to hear myself gasping for breath or motorists laughing at me). I am due to do Mansfield half at the end of the month for which they have been banned. Does anyone know if RH are doing the same.

When i'm running something like this i tend to have one ear phone in and one out so i get best of both worlds, music and atmosphere 

cheers 

• Morning

Rachie - can't answer specifically to RH - but I have been in several races where ipods are banned but people still use them and I have never witnessed anyone being picked up on it.  Think as long as you are sensible on volume/one ear out you should be OK.  Have a look at what happens in Mansfield - you may well find that although there is a ban people still take them.

Colin - thanks for link on FGS website.  I only use them after very long runs so although they are expensive it's not like I am buying shed fulls of them.  Look on it as a treat for when the miles have warranted it.  Usually taken whilst stood in my bin full of freezing cold water to ease the muscles (my take on the ice bath without having to actually sit in it imageimage)

Good Luck to all of you running this weekend.  I think a few of you have races so enjoy and hope it goes well. x

• You can get FGS in some asda stores.  They are smaller sized but cheaper relatively but they are hidden in the UHT milk section - not the chiller cabinets.

I had probs getting hold of them so I emailed to say I couldn't get them in my local tesco when they were advertised there, and within the week they were back on the shelf! image

Hope that's helpful image

• Another mention for the FGS website, they are giving away a free sachet of their new FGS powder, I registered for mine this morning. If it's free, it's got to be worth a go!

• Vixx76 wrote (see)

thiswayup - what's fleetwood like? Am mentally considering a triple set of maras at the moment - Fleetwood, Wolverhampton and Robin Hood, with GNR to finish.....

Cake - are you doing GNR this year? Or was it last year you did it and I'm getting confused? image

Was going to do GNR last year but broke a rib and had to pull out, can't race it this year because my sister's wedding is on the same day. image

If it helps I've got outlaws coming up in August and them probably doing fleetwood as well because house mates wants to do it and can't leave the lad stranded.

• We have a shelf full of FGS in our fridge, we bought in bulk when there were on offer at £1 a bottle.  Jules, if you can't get them in store at Sainsburys, try in the garage fridge... we have two sainsburys by us, one of them you can get them in the store (next to the friji milkshakes) but the other you can only get them at the garage.  Morrisons & Tesco sell them too.

We got a couple of bags of the Lucozade jelly beans at the Edi Expo and I had a handful of those at about 20miles... quite nice and seemed to put some energy back into my legs... I've seen those in Tescos, over in the sports aisle.

• Has anyone else had a look at the results for last year and thought that maybe possibly the last person on the half marathon forgot to turn off and followed the marathon runners???
  • image Caz it's the local clubs champ's and also a prize so good people turn up. As well as muppets like me. image
  • Afternoon Cake

Long Time Know See.I just enter this one today among others?

• Afternoon dude still not sure if going to do the half or full so asume to see me in the full after I snap. image It's nice to see the useral suspects are all popping up for anouther year.image
  • Cake - should I do Fleetwood? My mom thinks I'm mad.....
  • No idea what your marafun recovery times are so best person to answer that is yourself. questions you got to ask yourself are;-

1, whats my goal? i.e. to finesh and clock anouther one up or to PB

2, If I can't recover in time which one is more inportant to me?

3, Will I enjoy drinking a pint in the flying handbag with a medal more than drinking a pint in nottingham with a medal?

Doing both is perfectly doable if you train right but your more likely to finesh with a quick time if you just do one. I'm doing fleetwood as someone's carer and know if won't be a quick time for me because 3 weeks after a IM, Nottingham after is just because always do it and it's good fun for a 26 miler.

If it helps for me takes a minium off 3 to 4 weeks to recover from a marafun before doing the next one, but know people who can knock one off every weekend. Everyones different and how much training you do makes a massive difference. If needed I can always kick you up the bum if you start flagging.image

• Cake - I like the Flying Handbag, but I don't drink, so I'll be heading back to the OH's place in Salford....

I'm already doing two maras and a half mara in sept, was thinking I could make it three - albeit first one at end of aug.... not doing any of them fast, but would be looking at just finishing them.  I like the idea of seeing how far I can be pushed.  Long term I have promised I'll do an IM so......

• image There's your answer then now get on with it or I'll start singing at you! image

One thing would add is listen to your body if something starts going wrong don't ignore it make sure it's right. Oh and also remember to love your mum if she thinks your a nutter or not or I will start singing at you. image