Welsh Castles Relay 2010

2»

Comments

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

oft
     - and good luck to those organising as well.  I've helped at many races, organised a few, but Welsh Casttles is a massive undertaking - well done Les Croupiers!

• Thanks 40 mins - much appreciated on behalf of all those who put so much work into this

The van and car packing session went very smoothly tonight. Dick, Alan and John have got this down to a tee - the rest of us just follow orders !  The kids very impressed with the stickers and yellow flashing light that now adorn my otherwise timid looking Honda Jazz. I also get a megaphone (which I rather like). The neighbours less than impressed though...

Any other foumites doing this ??? 

oft the boy racer - who'd have thought it?  I'll look out for your customised Honda & try to say hi.

Bit of a long shot, but you don't have a son called Owain who works in Exeter do you?  Got talking to him a couple of months ago & he told me that his father was involved with organising the Castles.

• looks a great event and a good warm up for anybody wnating to do a coasters stint later in the yearimage

You can  plug it on the Welsh coasters stretches if you wantimage

• Will be leaving for the drive up to North Wales in a couple of hours.

Final instructions from the team captain last night, good news is that I am now running stage six, a nice flat route.

Weather for the weekend looks good for running and spectating, hope you all have a good run and that the event goes as smoothly as usual.

Much respect for Lescroupier for putting on an event like this, we have enough trouble just organising twenty runners.

• Thanks OFT. Looking forward to running tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
  • Good luck guys, lets hope it doesn't get too hot out there !

Driving up at midday for this evenings stage, see you on the road image

• musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Wow, my second WCR and loved it.

Did leg 2  for GWR as originally planned.

Big big thanks to Les Croupiers for the organisation

• I survived leg 10 (although my legs are still stiff today).

I can't say I have enjoyed leg 10 as it is mainly downhill but it is great event.

Well done everybody!

• Stage 17 (downhill from Beacons Reservoir to Merthyr Tydfill) was a brilliant run, really fun to be a participant. Just a shame that I didn't have time to enjoy the scenery..!

Next year, hopefully, I'll be able to run early on the Saturday just so that I can be part of the 'caravan' from Carnafon to Cardiff...

• For once I had a decent run finishing mid way in the first leg. Was nice to be part of the ceremonial jog round the castle to start with and get my leg out of the way early and enjoy the weekend.
  • My god, what a fantastic weekend that was, I had Stage 11, and although I suffered with an early start which I simply can't run I managed to drop from 7th place at 5 mile to 14th by the end... first 7 mile was a killer... mountain stages are meant for goats... not fat blokes... managed 77;04 (6:15 m/m), so happy enough...

Awesome weekend an Ellesmere Port Running Club in our first attempt at this came 32nd overall and 24th on the mountain stages so, all in, a great weekend. Shattered today though... we slept over Sunday night then a long drive home yesterday afternoon...

Cheers Pug image

• Glad you all had fun (we did !)

Results long since on-line needless to say

Race reports much appreciated - we love reading these . Please keep them coming !

40 mins - no, not mine (they don't believe in work !!) 

• I ran with the Winchester ladies team- leg 2 and just want to say a huge thank-you to all concerned for organising such an amazing event. It was my second Welsh Castles and I hope to be back (if I am quick enough!)
    Thanks again. We all loved it!
  • You've got good taste Sequin (Stage 2 and Cricieth at the finish !)

It looked stunning on Saturday.  The Lynn Peninsula is such a great place. We only had a few minutes to stop there - luckily just enough time to pay a trip to the bakers for a much needed cheese and onion pastie (+ a chelsea bun - for the record...). The sea looked beautiful and I was desperate for a quick swim.  Stage 3 got in the way though. That's the problem with the WCR - its just one thing (OK, one leg) after another !!

Hope you make it next year...   

• Thanks! Hope to be there next year (if I am quick enough)...Have done the downhill from Drovers before this and prefer leg 2!

The sea was looking beautiful -such a lovely view at the end of a race- can't remember a better one infact!

Hmmm - must try & get myself down for Stage 2 sometime, haven;t done that one yet.

oft - Why no 2 miles, 1 mile to go balloons this year?  I always rather liked them!

• Hi 40 mins - a sad story...

They use to be provided by Air Products (who sponsored and took part in the race until 2009).  I'll ask if we can do something about having at least a one mile marker next year...

Feel free to post any feedback/views/ideas here everyone !  I can raise at the post Castles Committee Meeting  

Note also there are lots of pics on the Croups WCR web site for the 2010 race - see here 

Yes indeed, sad when a sponsor drops out.  They were part of the Castles flavour, so it would be good to have them back.  If all else fails, adding £1 to each team entry would cover it?

The only other item of feedback from me would be the finish at Cardiff - I think it worked better the way it was before this year.  Cetainly the raised stage used to give everyone a view of what was happening during the presentations - I had no idea what was going on this time!