Wenesday 12th May

It's got a basket, a bell that rings, ant things to make it look good

Comments

• Whoops!  Cocked up the lyrics!  Just back from seeing John McLaughlin so couldn't resist starting the thread.  Back later with a run.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

AF - Lyrics - no idea! If you could get an entry to Athens, you might be able to meet up with Dubai Dave.

Sharkie - pretty good outing I would have thought. I couldn't imagine jumping anything!

Your mission to get home sounded harder than the events you competed in! In the short time I was in London, I couldn't believe how much walking and stair climbing was involved in every day commute. We drive everywhere here, so if I didn't run, I wouldn't get much exercise at all!

pjlovr - you sound so much better, good news re your muscles.

Paddy - a terrible tragedy, great that you can show your support to the family.

Dustin - hope the lump is nothing too serious.

Chickadee - nice running - hope you enjoyed your birthday dinner.

TMR - sorry to hear that you haven't progressed very far with the recovery.

What: Tuesday 4.5 miles - out on the bushtracks back on the road.

Today - 6 miles easy with mates.

My computer has been playing up, so not so easy to get onto the site.

• Morning.

What;4easy miles.

Why; Recovery run and my legs are stiff !

Oh and I saw a deer when I was out this morning.

Paddy: Never picked up on your news yesterday,sorry mate.

Chick: Belated Happy Birthday.

A decent article on the 60s marathon runner Jim Alder in the Independant.

Have a good one.

• Morning.

pjlovr - maybe all that foam rolling has paid off?

TmR - sorry to hear that you're still in so much pain, hope you can find the answer soon.

What:                  hill reps run session.
    Why:                    it might make me faster.
    Last hard:             21/3.
    Last rest:               8/5.

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • what: toss up between Battersea or Finsbury.
    why: still in London.

'The coldest May morning in 14 years'  r4's weatherman has just told me. So whichever track I choose to visit I will need my Polar Explorer outfit. 'Nesh - I did it my way', a never ending chronicle of shiver and whimper brought to you by sharkie.

I seem to have missed a few things:

Pammie is getting out running when she can. Continued love and thoughts to her.

pjlover'
    s extreme frustration over her journey to Embra. Good news about the bod from your phys though, gal!

moraghan's title winning but otherwise farcical 800 at the county champs.

Progress continuing for clink. Looking forward to her report from the Edge tonight. That's Alderley not the be-hatted Irish plank spanker.

chicka Hope you had a lovely birthday evening after the rubbish day. Care to share the menu - I can enjoy it vicariously as I nibble on a lettuce leaf and some lo-cal protein.

and the sobering posts from Paddy concerning the sudden death and subsequent funeral of his fellow racer. A real 'ask not for whom the bell tolls' moment, and reminder to live each day the best we can. Who knows how long we've got.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Morning

Another cold morning.  Sharkie - I went to the track last night to do my session and it was freezing, more like February than May!

what - short run
    why - recovery

Happy running!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

AF: your lyric setting rivals mine from last week!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/geronimo-jims-a-gem-1969276.html for Jim Alder link. 

What: 30 mins steady last night...not sure what tonight, but something
    Why: got first school cricket game of season...have got gloves and wooly hat ready
    Last hard: last Tues
    Last rest: Dec 21

Hope you had a good night Chick.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • morning,

very much agree on that sharkie, i am very much a 'count your blessings' person and stories like paddy's hammer home just how much we have to be thankful for and enjoy life

hope the birthday went well chicka, despite the rubbish at work

pj - if you can overcome the travel chaos the signs are looking good for edinburgh

M - v sensible giving the calf the easy week, will pay off long term

TMR - the injury sounds a difficult one to get to the bottom of and certainly very painful from what you say about the short walk. aquajogging is a real lifesaver. i have pfitzinger schedule which is pretty gruelling i can post link for if you are interested but you may need to start with literally jogging to check it doesn't aggravate anything

sharkie - i'd say battersea, but don't let me influence your decision

and on to the report from last night on The Edge...

start with a shorter route from bottom up to the top, i.e. much steeper. put a stop to the conversation and much huffing and puffing. about a mile and a half later we hit the reps.

first lot is 10 X c 200m on a gradually steepening slope. slight chaos as weight of numbers going in both directiions is a bit much for width of trail and i didn't reach top gear by any means but still getting the benefit of effort on hill

then on to 2 X 800m undulating loop finishing on buggerish upslope in smaller groups off a minute recovery.  though the second felt much slower, both were the same at 3.25 and got HR above 160 so fair effort involved. wih hindsight the second was probably just smoother/more relaxed so something to learn from that

finally another set of 10 X short hills c 160m off 15 sec recovery
    this was definitely the best part for me performance wise. got arms nice and loose and a real boundy sprinty feel, very enjoyable. got HR right up to 168 pushing hard up the finishing climb

then the warm down back down to town. very nice session and noticeably shorter than usual but then there is a half marathon lurking in a few days.
    no ill effects so currently residing on cloud nine having overcome the Edge demon twice without incident and this time on the back of a bigger mileage week.
    rest of the week will be easy wind down but may bring forward the usual thursday 8 miler to today owing to 'other stuff' later in the week and giving a real taper

AF - hope the gig was good, got me beat with today's

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 90 mins on the turbo d&d
    run and a bit of XT coaching
    Track PM
    Why: mixing the sessions up
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: 12 days
    Lyrics: no
  • Morning

Back from another jaunt to Westminster and back, a beautiful sunny morning if somewhat on the nippy side! I am almost getting used to the cold now! Bumped into two people (seperately) I know from Dubai as I ran along the embankment, I wonder what the odds of that are?

What: 9.5 sunny but cold miles around London

Why: The rest of the day will be spent in meetings and pubs

Last Hard: Friday

Last Rest: Sunday

Apparently my new TT bike has finally arrived in Dubai from the UK whilst I'm in the UK! I could have ridden the bike to Dubai in the time its taken Aramex to get it there.

Lyrics: Nope

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya,
    Chicka - hope you had a great birthday!

Docs yesterday, confirmed its a ganglion (cyst) type thing. Said they usually spring up around tendons and are usually left to their own devices (i.e. they go in time). However she said that they can be drained (full of joint type fluids apparently) if they are uncomfortable, which bearing in mind it sits just below my ankle makes it sit right on the rim of shoes/trainers. So awaiting referral date to the drainage company, in the meantime its walking and running with a wad of padding in my socks....

running - did 4 miles yesterday
    today - hopefully 6 later, but have a load of home style errands to run before the weekend so that may hold sway ce soir.

Missed DD again....
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

clink - another tough session there, sounded like fun.

400's at the track tonight.

• Morning all.

wont stay long

I've ventured back into the Gym world - joined at the weekend. Have had 2 swims now and a few light weight sessions. Also have a venture to the rowing machine a few times. Must sort out what best to do to supplement running - not fully on the dark side yet but thoughts are more frequent.

Today - swim (short) and row earlier, 8 miles or so later, hopefully with 2 x 2 mile efforts.

The funeral yesterday went off well, the family were very happy with it and it was an honour that I wouldn't have missed for anything. It was a different sight on the streets and roads of wexford to see about 40 runners in club vests running behind a hearse, the two leading runners were brothers of the deceased. Still cant believe it and it will take a long time to sink in. County champo races definitely wont be the same again!! 

Talk later 

• Morning all.
    Clink- That sounds a good session on the Edge. Hadn't realised anyone else was around this area. I go through Alderley Edge pretty much every time I go out on my bike.
    Dustin- Glad to hear you're getting your lump sorted and that it's nothing serious.
    Paddy- Glad the funeral went well. Certainly sounds like something special.
    Enjoyed that article in the independent, thanks for posting it Alehouse.

What: 30 min run down to the pool and 3k swim
    Why: What it says in the program
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: Nope
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had too much food but it was lovely image Went to our local Italian.

Sharkie: I murdered almost the entire bread basket and lots of olives. Then had a minestrone, followed by penne arrabbiata and finally tiramisu for dessert. It's funny - a few years ago I would have fancied lots of vino after a rubbish day at work. Now all I need seems to be food. And lots of it. I'll be a big fat heifer if I continue this way. At least I ran 10 miles yesterday, so I had a bit of a calorific cushion there image.

TmR: the xray is a start. Meanwhile they should put you on a waiting list for MRI.

Clink: sounds like a satisfying session for you

DD: you adjust quickly then. I don't think I'll ever adjust to the cold.

What: nothing so far; hoping to do an easy 3 this afternoon
    Why: had a lie in this morning
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday
    Lyrics: nope

• Wabo:Todays thread is here !image
  • Afternoon all,

Negotiations are afoot regarding Athens that make the Greek Debt Crisis look like asking a policeman the time.

Typical!  I decide I need to make my slow runs slower and fast runs faster and what do I find from Ingrid Kristiansen?  "I think many of them (European athletes) run too slowly on their slow runs and too fast on their fast runs.  Maybe they need to train more at the pace they will be competing at."

Chica:  Belated Happy Birthday!  I hope it was a good one after the carp day.

Dustin:  Good luck with Dynorod image

• What:  10m
    • Why:  General mid-week run
    • Last Hard:  Yesterday's hills
    • Last Rest:  28/2

Have a good one!

• Afternoon all. Today's training went a bit crap. Run to and from the pool was scuppered by a combination of a blister that came up during yesterdays run and my left knee deciding it was going to send me some good jolts of pain (don't know why......) As a result had to catch the bus down to the pool which meant I got there later than planned and could only fit in 2.3k before they kicked us out for the clubs image
  • Clink - that's a good session there.

Chickadeee - glad you had a nice time last night.

Hoofin - hope you can get the blisters and knee sorted - knee might have been caused by running awkwardly because of the blisters.

Paddy - sounds as though the funeral was as good as these things can be. How's the swimming?

I ended up with a rather fuller day than I thought I'd have when I posted this morning. Did an hour on the turbo before work then had an unexpected lunchtime opportunity so fitted a 2.4k swim set in and finished off with 7 miles including 7 hill reps this evening - will have a lighter day tomorrow!

• clink, Was that a deliberate pun image? I think not ! Thanks for mention of the aquajogging shedule.  I've found it, and I think it will be very good to have a proper schedule to keep me focussed.  My trial session on Sunday was fine, so I'll get stuck into it asap.
    Sounds like you had an excellent session last night

What:  got my Xray done, but according to the radiologist shows nothing untoward.  I'm rather disappointed by that cos I would have know when it was going to get better, and going around on crutches would be much less painful

Lyrics, of course I don't know them, but it seems to be about a bicycle like mine, with its new wicker basket, and I'd also bought a proper bell at the same time, and Tigger in the basket looked very good.  Just a shame it seems to have caused me so much grief. image 

• Been kind of out of the loop for the past 24 hours. Got in trouble at work yesterday (alehouse will commiserate) for internet and personal email usage but then also, very unfairly, for another colleague's cock-up. Was so upset didn't get to check the thread last night and, obviously, haven't been able to during the day today. Had another chat with my manager today and have compromised on my 'punishments'. Decided not to run tonight because

1. I'm exhausted. Work mess meant I didn't sleep well at all last night;
    2. Noticed my HR was still elevated last night so clearly I'm a bit overtrained at the moment and not fully recovered from previous efforts; and
    3. I've got a work thing tomorrow night now so I need to get up in the morning to do my run as I won't have time in the evening.

Tonight's run was only a slow five miler, probably classed as a recovery run technically, so I thought it would be fine to miss it, rest up, recover a bit and take on tomorrow's shorter but speedier session at 6.00am. Even planning on sleeping in our spare room tonight so I can get to bed between 9.30 and 10.00 and won't wake up hubby in the morning at 6.00.

Overall, bit of a crappy week: BA strike = boo image; good news from physio = yay image; problems at work = really boo image; needing something to = yay again. image That and a vacation! Already looking to go to Arkansas in August especially since the weather in the UK is forecast to be pretty crappy this summer. Need some heat and humidity.

Sorry for the essay folks but it's been rough. I need a hug. image Oh good here comes hubby to give me that hug. Yay again. image

• TMR - if it's a suspected stress fracture don't they sometimes not show up on xray and need the scan?
    i realised after i'd typed it that there was a pun going on but admittedly unintentionalimage
    here is link to the schedule, happy splashing!
    www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml  there is a click here thingy to get from the narrative onto the actual schedule

hoofin - cycling up the edge is even harder than running up it! then very scary on the way down

LMUH - isn't this supposed to be an easy week? getting a fair bit in there today, careful now don't want you overdoing it again..

pj - take it easy, you sound horribly wound up and a bit of 'me' time wouldn't go amiss

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

TMR - hope you get sorted soon

PJ - as clink says take it easy..

What - 4.25m easy
    Why - longest run in comeback, one step at a time - stomach still a bit tight from the op but ok at the moment
    Last rest - yesterday
    Last hard - ???????????

Off to watch the football as am a Fulham fan - couldnt get tickets (or time off for that matter...) cant even drink as on Safety Critical work tomorrow...

• Evening peeps.

AF: Seem to remember the late Peter Coe saying the same thing as Ingrid Kristiansen !

• Clink - it's ok, last week was the recovery week - did just less than nine hours image

TmR - do you have an idea what's wrong?

pjlovr - oh dear, sounds like lots of stress and not much fun, hopefully the marathon will lift you.

RFJ - good to hear that recovery is continuing well.

• Evening

What 5.2 commute
    Why   same as ever
    Lyrics No

Was going to post before going to work but couldn't remember the lyrics I had thought of before going to bed just as well really.

Day off tomorrow so am not sure what to do yet as the OH is muttering about having the day off too and catch up on some paperwork hmmmm.

Oh yes PP2 managed 2:57 in the 800 yesterday on his second attempt getting a new pb by 6 seconds. We're not sure what we ought to be expecting from an 11 year old but he enjoys it which is the main thing and I don't want to be to pushy or demanding as it would put him off.

• Today's lyrics are Bike by Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd.  Quite suprised more didn't get it, but maybe us old hippies are fading away...
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Evening all, sorry I haven't been posting for a while - reading through today's thread I've clearly missed quite a lot!

What:  1 hour @ 9:30 pace
    Why:  Club run, now 3rd from slowest group

Gentle progress continues, I'll go up another group next week as I'm still finding it fairly easy - apart from steep hills.  Red blood cell count still low, which probably accounts for the hill trouble along with a general lack of condition.  Minor complaints from right knee, so will continue to take things fairly easy...

Got a reasonable offer on our house today, just got to find somewhere to move to now.

• AF I didn't get the lyrics, although once upon a time I owned Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the LP that this song is from. And Pink FLoyd were one of the first bands I saw live. A lifetime ago....

clink Attagirl! I'm well impressed with that session. To be specific I'm impressed with you for getting through it. Well 'ard! The end section - the 10 short hills sounds like the sort of thing we were doing in winter. Although we had walk back down the hill recoveries of probably about a minute. Anyway I'm glad you enjoyed them. Whole session sounds brilliant for strength and speed.

DD I would have though the odds were very long indeed! Odds on your bike arriving in Dubai while you're here MUCH shorter! Think it's called sod's law.

Dustin Oo er a ganglion! My other half had one on his wrist which disappeared as suddenly as it arrived. A  good few months in between though  - you may well want to get it drained.

chicka
    Well scoffed missis!

LMUH Now don't go overdoing it, naughty!

Tiggersmate Oh how frustrating it all must be.

pjlover Calm down sunshine, you need to be in good shape mentally as well as physically. Durr well you know that of course. Events conspiring against you at the moment, but the goodies will outweigh the baddies just in time. Much in the manner of the cavalry arriving.... you'll be fine. You've done the work, time to relax a bit if you can.

40minutes
    Always good to see you. Glad there's progress being made.

• LMH- Not convinced that it was a result running differently because of the blister. Having thought about it that knee was feeling sore at the end of the long bike on Sunday so think it just needs a little bit of rest. Will give it a bit of a test tomorrow as it's feeling better now.

Pj- Sorry to hear about things being rubbish. Hope you're able to get a good nights sleep tonight and a good run in the morning.

Clink- Going down the Edge is brilliant fun. The only problem with it is the stupid T junction at the bottom which limits how fast you can approach. Think if it wasn't there I could get a new top speed off that hill.

AF- I'm afraid Pink Floyd are a little before my time.