How safe is it out there?

I am quite new to running, and I wondered what sort of experiences other females have had while running alone.
I live in a rural area with a very low crime rate, but I do not really feel comfortable running alone. I tend to stick to the pavements around the village, rather than cross country where I would like to run. I will not be running alone in the dark, I'm thinking of joining a running club once the dark nights start, although this means a drive of about 25 miles.
Am I overreacting, and being over cautious? Is it safer out there than I think (if you disregard being shot at, the experiences of pilgrim runner. Would love to hear the responses from other female runners.
Of course, my husband just goes out and runs whenever/wherever he wants!

Comments

• I don't find many problems - but then the sight of a red in the face puffing woman probably scares anyone off!! I have a waist bag with my phone in it in case of emergencies/accidents, and that always makes me feel more confident. Just be aware of your surroundings, always (as I do) tell husband where you're running and approx how long you'll be, and enjoy it!
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Hi, like you, I am (probably) overly concerned about running on my own. I live in a suburban area but with country trails just 5 mins from my door. I tend not to run those by myself. I run there with my husband about once a week. He is a lot faster than me but he either goes at my pace or takes his bike. Other than that I stick to populated parks by myself, run with a running club once a week and train in the gym/treadmill. I also had a running partner for a while although she has just chickened out on me. You could post a message on one of the forums asking for a running partner near you....that would probably solve some of your problems.

It is worth joining a running club for the support as well as just having someone to run with, but if you feel that 25 miles is too far have you thought about joining a nearer gym and doing some treadmill training?

Hope that helps a bit!
  • I have had problems, as have a few women I know. Through a running club you may meet others that live close to you that you can train with in the more scenic places.
    Other than that I advise better safe than sorry. Stick to well lit, public areas, carry a phone with you, tell someone where you're going and how long you'll be and try to avoid going the same way at the same time each day so you're not too predictable.

I's rather be paranoid than attacked again - it's not pleasant, but having said that nothing would stop me enjoying my running, I just save the countryside/towpaths/riverside for Sunday mornings when I run with friends.
  • As a female who nearly always runs alone I have never felt unsafe on any of my runs. I always carry a phone. I mostly run off-road and the worst experience I've had is feeling something wet on my leg and looking down it was a dogs tongue, and its owner swearing at me when I objected.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've not had problems when out on my own but I do tend to stick to populated areas. In the summer I do sometimes venture off on to coastal paths on my own and find the only thing to annoy me there are dogs! off their leads.
    joining a club is an excellent idea. I love going out on club nights, epecially in the summer as we go on cross country routes I would never go on alone.
    I think when running on our own we just need to always be aware of out surroundings and always let someone know where we are going and how long we expect to be out. I try not too worry too much over running alone as I think I would then not enjoy doing what I do. Happy running:)
  • Why don't you go out running with your husband ?
  • I wouldn't worry about it. It's true street crime is worse than ever - but that just means you're far morelikely to be attacked walking down the high street than in the country (but that's not suprising, seeing as rural attacks are almost unheard of)

Despite the impression tabloid papers give, real crime figures show that you're perfectly safe in the country. Yes, of cousre there have been some high-profile incidents, but they are practically the _only_ incidents. Woman-in-country stories just make good copy, for some reason, so are blown out of all proportion.

Yours,

Fully paid member of the Daily Mail haters club
  • I always run alone, don't bring my mobile either. I stick to places that there are likely to be other runners, i.e. the path around my local park, plus my local canal path (which has frequent 'exits' via bridges), and a few trails and rural roada. As long as my visibility is good, I feel fine. The bottom line is to follow your intuition. Also, if you own a dog, why not bring it along with you?
  • I have not been running for long, but I used to live in Ealing and the only place I wanted to run was Lammas Park, which is a big park - I felt very safe there. I ran on the streets sometimes too.

I have now moved back to Surrey, which is where I am from. I live in a large village and there are lots of rural routes. There is a disused railway track, which is very popular - I often go walking there with my friends. When I was younger I used to go down there on my own but I wouldn't do that now, just in case. So I have joined a local running club for the off-road stuff, and at the moment when I go on my own I run around the local playing fields - which is a bit tedious, but I do feel safe.

One of my favourite places to run that wasn't too cut off from everywhere is Stoke Park in Guildford, where I did the Race for Life.

A question for people who run alone - where do you put your phone and keys etc? I never really know what to do with them.
  • I may be wrong but I suspect that most random attacks are carried out because:

1. The victim is likely to be carrying money.
    2. The victim is an easy target.

For runners I think it less likely as:

1. They probably only have 10p for the phone.
    2. They might fight back.

Therefore whilst there can never be complete safety I think running in the country probably has a proportionately low risk.
  • I don't carry a phone, and I hide the keys at my house. Not somewhere obvious like under a mat of flower pot though.

The good visibilty thing is a good point - I do take care when I'm out (I run through urban then into rural), though it's not worth getting paranoid
  • mat 'or' flower pot

I also think runers are safer as, frankly, I can out-run anyone who isn't also a runner. And if you're a girl, that doesn't automatically mean you can't do the same either.
  • Of course, take sensible precautions as mentioned in the other responses, but don't let worry deny you the sheer pleasure of running in the English countryside. And remember you can certainly outrun any smoking & beer gutted white van driver!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I live in a town, but very close to lots of forestry trails, fields, etc. I very rarely ever see anyone, other than the odd dog walker/runner/mountain biker in the woods, but have been mildly heckled by teenagers hanging aroung bus-stops/shops when I run on the pavements. Even this has never felt threatening, as its usually just a bit of fun for them (e.g. "can't you run any faster?" and boob comments). Must be the local "yoof" don't like to walk too far!

I sometimes carry a phone but usually only when I'm wearing my rain jacket which has pockets, and if my B/F is late home and doesn't know which route I'm planning.

I have a separate front door key, on a keyring of its own which has no fancy bit on it which I loop over my middle finger; unnoticeable after a mile or so.

• I live in a rural area and run a lot on my own, both on quiet lanes and off road. I don't feel unsafe except occasionally from the traffic. My perception, rightly or wrongly, is that urban/city areas are much more dangerous for women. I reckon I could outrun most people unless they were runners themselves. I draw the line at running alone in the the dark though - with no street lighting I need a torch and all those rustles along the verges make me jump!
  • Laura

I don't know Russel personally but can't you just ask him to leave you alone....

....boom boom
  • Beckstrous wonders where runners keep their phone and keys...

I don't take a phone - dinosaurs don't have mobile phones. I have a set of doorkeys on a plain ring and I keep them, and a couple of quid to buy a drink or a bus fare home, either in my sock or in my bra (in winter, they go inside my mittens). My husband frequently cracks a bad joke along the lines of "Why do female distance runners wear bras when they've got no boobs?"

I always leave details of where I'm going and the maximum length of time I expect to be out.

Cheers, V-rap.

• With regard to where to keep phones and keys. I use a bum bag made of very soft leather. I have seen various types of key keeping thingies, the best type are those you attach to your shoes.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    A good simple device for keys is to put them on a nappy pin and pin inside shorts. I keep a single key for door and car on the pin so as I don't have to jangle around. I've been using the nappy pin for years and it's brilliant because of the safety head which ensures it doesn't come undone.
  • I have the front door key on a chain round my neck. I shove it down my bra to stop it jumping around. If wearing my hrm, I PUT IT down the back so it doesn't interfere with the transmitter. I don't have a mobile phone so don't have to worry about that.
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    If I take my mobile then I put all my stuff in a Nike bum-bag. It's a good size and well designed so that it doesn't jump around when you're running. If I'm just carrying my key then I have internal key-pockets in some of my running shorts, leggings and running gloves (for the winter). If I'm wearing different shorts with no pocket then I just carry my keys in my hand.

Apparently if you put an individual key between each finger, you can use it as a self-defence weapon if you are attacked, so it actually could be quite useful to carry them in your hand.
  • i always wear my front and back door keys round my neck on a shoe lace, not only when running but at all other times too, after too many times forgetting them when taking my dog out.

some of the earlier comments were spot on, attackers look for an easy target and something to take, and runners aren't an easy target.

i live in an area with vast amounts of woodland and sanddunes, it's only used by runners at certain times, though, such as sunday morning. other times i've run for eight miles without seeing anyone. i'm not over-confident about this as my biggest fear is, like, falling down a rabbit hole or something...
  • Thanks for all the replies guys.
    I don't run with my husband very often because we have 2 small children, but I do frequently run on a (boring)treadmill.
    I think a running club is certainly the answer for the dark nights.
  • This was the earliest thread I could find in General - from 4 years ago. Is fat girl slim still a member ? Are there earlier threads which have moved or have been archived / deleted ? Is the toic still relevant ? Wonder what the first post was ? Probably "welcome". I'll be off now.
  • I usually run alone in fairly deserted areas. I tell my OH rough details of my route, expected time back etc.. This does take the spontaneity out of it a bit, but it's reassuring to know that he's listening out for my return.

I don't take a mobile or anything though - maybe I should? I've recently found a couple of running partners though, so when winter sets in and it gets dark I won't be running alone.
  • Looks like FGS did the FLM and retired from running or posting soon after ?

• I used to run on my own, I now have a dog (which I keep on the lead and pick up after). The only problem I had was someone onced asked if I had a light and he got a bit shirty when I puffed no. I take my mobile in my inhaler pouch. I have a solitary door key in there too with my poop scoop bags and a spare battery for my mp3 player, which I keep low. I wear my Aldi flashing armbands if its dark as one road not great for lighting. I tell my hubby when I think I will be back. I get fed up of the ass like yours I'd be running, can't you go faster etc but these I ignore. I run facing oncomimg traffic and try to keep to well lit routes but there are some tree lines bushy bits. My dog has a bit of a fearsome reputation but is soft as mud. Keep thinking about a running club, but transport and baby an issue at moment.
  • I do run in the dene behind our house but its during the day as I know its usually full of other people walking, biking and fishing and a riverbank path that is part of the c2c.