Hey Lorenzo,

I'm up for this image. Are you gonna warm up at the C2C next year? image

• Options
    All you mentalists...!image
  • Options
    Chaz! wrote (see)

Hey Lorenzo,

I'm up for this image. Are you gonna warm up at the C2C next year? image

Am tempted by the Thames Trot rather than C2C - just don't tell me you're doing both!
  • Options

imageimage ha ha @ Lorenzo,

I did the Thames Trot this year too, I entered after I did the C2C image. Am up for both again next year, fancy it image

• Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Those finishing under 5 hours get a special cup (sorry we ran out last time...)
  • Options
    At least we won't have the footy to worry about next year image(
  • Options

Having looked at the scale of 1 - 10 on the previous page could someone suggest where South Downs mara would fit?

• Options

This sounds like a great event. I am going to sign up for this one, recently ran an event which was 5500ft ascent/descent over 15 miles.. 

• Options
    Just signed up for it - off to get the necessary treatment for suspected lunacy in the morning image
  • Options
    Looks like London is to be my warm up race!
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Dr Rob, I was wondering what I was going to be aiming my training towards over the winter, think I may have just found it. Need to get faster and stronger.......ATM I think it'll take me six hours......

Oh dear God, What have I done.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    All signed up!  Haven't done a full marathon before, so my training starts now!!!!!  Need to find some warm up races too, any suggestions?
  • Options
    Leith Hill Half (also a Trionium event) or the Steyning Stinger are good options.  Unfortunately both of them are on the same day which is a real shame.
  • Options
    Lee - anything that involves steps or stairs. Have you done the MM? If not then I strongly advise you to visit the course. I am going to train hard for London making sure I do one killer hill session a week then straight off the back of London I will ramp up the hills to twice a week with a medium to long run once a week. The other 4 days will be recovery or easy. Haven't a clue if that will be enough but at least I know what I have let myself in for! Now where is my medication....?
  • Options
    Lee - At least they'll all be easier afterwards. Seriously though I would book up to do a couple of maras before the PICNIC so you are at least comfortable with the distance & if you are local I would go check out boxhill so you know what you have let yourself in for.
  • Options
    Having done Greensand Mara this weekend, i have a fair idea what to expect from the Picnic, it is the blimming steps that i worry about the most. Hopefully be able to sign up for this once all my 2011 Ultras are planned.
  • Options

Thanks all!  I have booked in a couple maras in the months leading up to it now and luckily I live amoungst some huge hills.  I'll definately be signing up to Leith Hill too.

Quite how I'll train for those steps remains to be seen........Maybe a few day trips to Box Hill I reckon

Cheers all

• Options

It's the only way Lee.  Someone said at this years event that they would expect to do the Midsummer Munro course in practice at least twice.  I would say that makes perfect sense. 

The steps up from the Stepping Stones are killers but don't forget that there are more steps at the bottom of Juniper Bottom across the road and in some respects these seem to be worse (at least going down!)

• Options
    I agree that the second set are worse especially coming down. It's all relative though...
  • Options
    3rd & 4th times are fun as well image
  • Options

IMHO don't even think about running up the steps! There are 200+ of them and they're uneven bug*ers so you can't get into a rhythm.

I just about managed it when I did the Knacker Cracker a few years ago but when I did the MM I came to the conclusion that fast walking was a far better way of conserving energy.

Worst bit of the course - running down the grassy bank towards the start line after the first lap knowing that you can't just get to the bottom and collapse but you have to turn around, run back up the bank and do it all over again.

Best bit - all the encouragement you get as you go round, especially from everyone who's doing the MM (which kicks off 2 hours after the Picnic) who think you're a complete nutcase.

• Options

I cant wait.....sort of.

I can imagine that finishing the Munro and then turning around to do it all again must be the hardest part.

Fast walking up the steps it is for me then image

• Options

I wore my Picnic top to run in the Snowdonia Marathon at the weekend and couldn't believe the amount of comments on the way round, both from fellow Picnicers and those who've heard of it's tough reputation. The most telling comment came from a women who ran the Picnic in 2009 and when I asked if she'd be back in 2011, her reply was "Absolutely no way - it's far too tough but I think I'll come along on the day and stand at the top of Box Hill with a defibrlllator!!"

• Options
    ....surely a stretcher would be best?
  • Options
    I'll be 70 years old come 18th. June 2011. I've completed 22 maras in the last 24 months, including all 7 of the EnduranceLife Coastal Trail 7X7X7 Challenge maras. Also completed the North Sea Beach Marathon, all on sand, in Denmark. But this sounds to be the big one. At my age it's now or never! I've just signed up. Bring it on! Bring it on!
  • Options

Fair play Offa. An inspiration.

That is, an inspiration to me not to get beaten by a 70 year old.....image

Which I undoubtably will be by the sound of it !

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Hi Chimney!

Thanks for the comments.

You look to have good form, so please don't be too concerned about the possibility of me showing you my heels. As I hinted, I may have bitten off more than I can chew (though I do like my grub.)

I Emailed Rob, the Race Director, the other day to ask how many steps there are in the race, saying, "I'm into stair climbing and did 2080 stairs yesterday (1040 up and 1040 down.) Exactly how many steps are there on The Picnic?"

Rob replied, "Now you are asking... in the race you will have to do approximately 1000 actual steps up and 1000 down, although that is only on two of the hills - there are another three major hills without actual steps - but in the whole race you would have to do the equivalent of approximately 18,000 steps up and 18,000 steps down to complete the altitude gain and descent... yes, unbelievable, I know. Just imagine doing steps for six hours, with short periods when you are not resting, but running.

It's a crippler. Maybe that would have been a better name for it."

So, I've upped my stair climbing!

• Options
    I wouldn't dream of suggesting that any of the course is easy but there are some rather nice woodland stretches that are almost flat. It's not ALL steps!