The Trionium Picnic Marathon

Comments

• Hi Slantendicular, 02 June would be best for me. Drop me an email the Monday before and we can sort out a time/place to meet. chrisoco2307@hotmail.com

Cheers

Chris
  • still no luck in getting a place in this event.......

e-mail me if there is one: tango5tavy@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Tango

• image someone this morning e-mail me to say i can have there place!!!

Dr Rob what is your e-mail address and what would you like to know for use to swich.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Hi, it's rob@trionium (dot) com... I need Date of Birth, age on race day, any medical stuff I need to know, club affiliation and email.

Hope the training's going well... don't forget the run-through at 4pm on Sunday 5 June. Bring your own drinks.

Fingers crossed for the weather!
  • Did the Mid Summer Munroe route this morning just to remind myself how tough it is and how tough it'll be to turn around and do it all again! Took me 2hrs 49' for the 13 miles!
  • Did the Mid Summer Munroe route a couple of weeks ago in roughly the same time! As I finished I asked myself "could I turn around and do it all again?" The answer was a resounding no! But after some solid long runs and countless hill reps I feel like i've turned a corner and feel a bit more prepared!  Am off to the course in the morning for some training on the steps!!

Quick question for Dr Rob or anyone in the know! What will be available at the water stations?? The race instructions say there will be "sweets and stuff" Will there be gels and/or sports drinks? if so what brand? (I find my stomach can only handle certain brands!) 

Good luck to everyone running! Hope the trainings going well! We must be mad!!!image

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    I will get some lucozade sports drinks in at the quarter, half way and three quarter way points for Picnicers... I'll get a variety of flavours. If you have a fussy stomach, you're advised to bring your own. Water will be available at the other water stations. Bring your own gels (and take them home with you!)... there will be jelly babies and other sweet stuff too. There is a full-on picnic at the end.

Yes, you are all mad, no doubt about it. Maybe I should get in some fruits, nuts, bananas and some sandwiches (but a few short of a full picnic....)
  • Ok is it alright for me to admit that I am starting to brick it about this now lol

Also for those that have done this before can I ask a few questions about the ground underfoot?

I tend to do a bit of Barefoot running and would like to know more about the ground we will be covering....and before anyone says barefoot is madness may I remind you we all must be to have entered this to begin with ;o)

I probably wont go barefoot but there is no harm in asking!

Either reply here or email me atthe following...

veritas-seeker@hotmail.co.uk

Kindest regards

Justin H

• MF - it's all along trails with tree roots and stones so I really wouldn't recommend doing it barefoot.

When I did it a couple of years ago I ran in trail shoes, but given the recent dry weather I suspect I'll be doing it in my normal road shoes (Mizuno Wave Inspires)

• Thought it may well be the case!

Wont be retiring the Inov-8's just yet then ;o)

Many thanks Lorenzo

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Have fun tomorrow those that are practicing for the full picnic by doing a half picnic.

And then realise how mad you that you're doing something in training that a lot of people train for......  image

My original aim -

Get under 5 hours

My current, more realistic, aim -

Not to be pulled out

Many, many months ago I had visions of flying down the final hill with time to spare to get under five hours. Since then I have stopped drinking..........And sobered up!

5 hours? Who am I kidding?!

See you in a fortnight.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    He he... we will be doing a quarter of the Picnic (half of the Munro), just the first outward leg. We will all feel it afterwards, even though we will be doing it very slowly!

Five hours on the Picnic is like the Holy Grail.... many search for it, but it remains elusive.
  • Hoping to do a Half- Picnic tomorrow morning and maybe attempt a Knacker Cracker afterwards ......followed by a large portion of fries and a large Pepsi at Ryka's!!
  • Did part of the course this morning - over the Stepping Stones and up the steps then along the North Downs Way for a few miles before turning round and coming back, heading back down the steps, round the loop at the bottom and then back up the steps again for good measure. Finished off with an amble down the grassy bank before heading home.

21 miles in total, so keep telling myself I've only got to add another 5 miles and probably another 90 minutes on to that and it's all done and dusted!

MF - definitely not the terrain for bare foot running unless you want to cut your feet to shreds!

• He he thanks again Lorenzo,

Appreciate the terrain update and foot warning, consider your advice noted and taken image)

• I would love to do this event but I haven't got a place .......

e-mail me if there is a one: garnerpdg@hotmail.com

Kind regards,

Roadrunner

• Hi Roadrunner

I have just emailed you directly, I have overdone the marathons this year so far and won't be up for this now. I gather you just email Dr Rob now and then turn up on the day. Good luck, and to all the others this year, if it is half as much fun as in 2009 you will have a great run! 

•  Thanks to the person that gave me there entry!! so looking forward to doing this event again!

if the is another entry going my friend is looking for a place too

e-mail me if there is one: tango5tavy@yahoo.co.uk

if he can get a place in this event, he can drive me to it. than me getting the train and trying to find the event.

• Dr Rob - cheers for the run through this afternoon, was really good.

If you are uploading your Garmin record of the run to Connect (or elsewhere), any chance you could send me a link? My Garmin's battery ran out yesterday and I didn't get around to charging it.
  • Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the run-through.... wet, wet, wet. I will try to work how to Connect, but can't promise anything... I do hear it's good though.
  • Dr Rob - Thanks for the run through and the refreshments prior to the Eiger steps. All very enjoyable.

Great bunch of people - wish you all a good run in two weeks.

• Dr Rob,

I have just dropped you a direct email about transferring a place from David Bush to me (Paul Garner). Please let me know if you need any additional information.

So pleased I will be doing the event!!!  - it's been on the "to do list" for a few years.

Kind regards

• And this is what it's all about...

Training for the Picnic...

/members/images/27936/Gallery/IMG_3909.jpg

• Hey Lorenzo, hows your training coming on?

See you in two weeks image

• Dr Rob, and friends.

Thanks for the run through of a quarter of the course on Sunday. Excellent. Good company and a great run.

This is my first Picnic, and will probably my last at aged 70, but here's a tip:

After crossing the road at the Smith and Western pub and heading into the woods look to your right beyond the bushes and spot a fence, behind which are houses. Make sure you turn sharp right where the fence and the buildings end (don't go straight ahead). Dr Rob and marshals sign the turning but, apparently, it's not unknown for the locals to remove 'em.

Have a good one.
  • Dr Rob

Thanks for the guided tour, it was great to get a feel for the MunroePicnic race thats looming just around the corner.  

Great turnout considering the weather and it was lovely to meet other brave souls up for the challenge. 

Will stick to parking with you guys next time though as those woods are pretty scary to a newbie trying to find his car, its a good job some one ran into the electric fence in practice as at least then i refound my bearings !!

Best of luck to all.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Crikey! 70? You're looking good on it.

Roadrunner... all sorted.

My Garmin Connect effort is at http://connect.garmin.com/player/90682370... hope that works... otherwise search for Midsummer Munro...
  • Hi Dr Rob!

Thanks for your Garmin Connect link for last Sunday's run-through of the Midsummer Munro half. Just checked it out. It's a big help.

Based on the mileage you recorded the three-quarter 5 hour cut off point for The Picnic is where the steep descent through the woods from White Hill hits Headley Lane i.e. 6.72 miles x 3 = 20.16 miles (32.44k), as you said on Sunday, "It's about 20 miles."

Belt-and-braces old guys like me, with a reputation for getting lost on trail runs, find it reassuring to know precisely where I am (or supposed to be).

May the force go with us all come the 18th.
  • Are there any spaces left on this? Runner's world site says yes, but trionium website says no image

If there are spaces, how does this compare with the beachy head marathon?

• this is a picnic in the park compared with beachy, so I hear!