The Trionium Picnic Marathon

Comments

• put it this way, I did Beachy last year in about 4:30. My goal for the Picnic is sub-6
  • Chaz - good to hear you're up for this one.

Training's gone OK, but not sure anything can really prepare you for it. Am doing the London to Brighton bike ride the following day so hope to still be in one piece at around 7pm on 18 June.

Have you done the Picnic before?

• Anybody want to join me for a run/walk/cry/walk strategy next Sat? I'll be the guy at the back.

• Trevor- don't worry you'll have plenty of company!!
  • I've struggled with any hill training all year through injury ..... having completed Edinburgh 3 weeks ago I've realised my legs no longer work even on the FLAT ......  HELP
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Trevor, save the cries for help to next Saturday, and join with me. Two voices are better than one......

Silly question here folks. I was talking with my chef, Mrs C, the other day. She's usually preetty good at getting me fuelled. But that's always been for races starting in the morning. What do I do for this one? Have a big bowl of pasta for brunch? and a smaller bowl for early lunch?

Lets face it, I'm likely to still be runnning come 8pm!

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • L2B bikegride the next day, fantastice Lorenzo is it more down than up so you can your legs abit?

This will be the first looking forward to it as heard good things. You did a cracking time two years ago!

• Last minute stupidity, if anyone has a place they can't take up please PM me and I will pay you for it.

• any places left going? Left this until the last minute as I didn't think it would fill up. Will pay. mail me rjs@cdarwin.com

many thanks

• Have I missed a link for the full route? Need to work out if i can crawl to the checkpoint times to meet the cut off.

Bloody Mosquitos bit me to pieces last week and legs swelled up like balloons so could not get in last minute training, That's my excuse and sticking with it.

Chris Oco your camera seems to have fallen over for the phot you took. It makes that flat terrain look like a massive hill.

• Is the route well marked - for the navigationally challenged ?    On a recent training run with a friend who's also doing this on Saturday, I uttered the immortal words - "so how bad can it really be" ?   I suspect we'll be finding out soon, and I will eat my words forever more image 

• I have now got a place, hopefully Dr Rob you will have received an email, and I am reporting in to say I am very scared. Did the South Downs on Saturday and if that is easy by comparison I will be crawling round.
  • Peter Webb - unfortunately the camera hadn't fallen over and it is a massive hill but fortunately it's one of the few slopes on Box Hill that Dr Rob has yet to discover!!

Hi Kate!
  • Hi Chris - I'm scared here too!
  • Chris - keep it under your hat then!

I walked up the stairs at home twice as I kept forgetting my car keys! Wasn't  even out of breath so I must be well prepared for Saturday.image

• Hi Pete Webb 3!

The route you may be looking for is here:
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/90682370

It's a quarter of the full mara and, of course (excuse the pun) half the half mara. It was supplied by Dr Rob on this forum in section 8. We ran it in the rain on Sat 5th June, creating our own steaming micro climate. The link's still working.

It's a cracker of a course!
  • ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Offa, the training run in the rain the other week looks like it will set you up perfectly for Saturday looking at the weather forecast.

Everyone got their off road trainers ready?

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Anyone know the best area for spectators. i have a pregnant wife with a 2 year old in tow and they obviously do not want to be trecking up and down hills to get vantage points of me dying.

Any recomendations?

• Hi Chimney!

Sure have - Inov8 Mudclaw "0" 330's. Used 'em on the run-through with no problems. Excellent grip in the wet, on grass, in mud, on rock. They have slightly sticky rubber. Because of this they wear out quicker but are great trail/fell running kit in the wet. Disappointment is Inov8 no longer produce 'em though they might still be around on sites with discontinued gear.

Todays weather for Box Hill on Saturday is: Scattered Showers/Wind High 16C Low 11C Chance of rain 30%. Wind WSW Gust 34 mph Visibility Excellent.

Wet, windy or whatever, let's have a good one.
  • Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    So... what's this I hear about an undiscovered hill????
  • Dr Robert and my fellow runners,

I trust you are all well and ready for the trot this Saturday. The forecast certainly doesn't look picnic-esque, which for me isn't fantastic but I'll live through it. Though it does raise the question, what is the situation at the race start for spectators in terms of shelterage?

I have a girlfriend who is very lovingly donating 5...6...7 hours of her time, and for this my concern for her welfare is testament.

We are catching the train, so waiting in the car is nay an option.

Many thanks...
  • CN2 - there's a cafe (Rykers) just down the hill from the start although it's something of a bikers haunt. Better option might be the National Trust cafe at the top of the Zig Zags - they do very nice cake there. The run passes by the Smith and Western (I think) so she could wave to you through the window.

Alternatively she could bring a deckchair, a good book and a brolly!

Was planning on doing the run in road shoes, but given the rain recently, it looks like the trail runners will be coming out - just hope the hole in them doesn't get any bigger. image

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    An umbrella, long-johns and wet weather gear also seems to be in order... and a huge sense of humour. The marshals will be busy! There will be some shelter at the start/finish.

For those with larger budgets, the Burford Bridge Hotel, two minutes walk from the start, is a very plush gaff.
  • My friend is ill and so is going to pull out... if anyone is mad enough to want to do the Picnic Marathon at 24 hours notice post your email address here and I'll drop you a line to arrange entry in his name!!

No guts no glory image

• wow, I just logged-on to wish you my praises and good luck and I see Camelots post.......I've spent the last half-hour deliberating. Greensands last year 4:06. I'm marathon fit (early July event) but low on hill training (!).

Oh, and I'm due to be marshalling you.....but expect Dr.Rob will forgive me....

And I'm supposed to be cycling London2Brighton and back on Sunday.......imagebut can do that any old year! (as I have the last 7, its become a bore in fact).

But.....its TWO whole years til next opportunity.....should I?? or shouldn't I??

EDIT: Phew, sorted - just back-tracked and read lots of your posts AND my NAME WONT BE ON THE SHIRT image which gives you a good measure of my my moral stance here image.

I'll stick with Marshalling, initially wishing I were with you then later (not much later!!) I'll be glad of my UMBRELLA, HOT COFFEE etc. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL (you nutters).

• Kipper - now what sort of attitude is that?

a. it's more fun running than marshalling when it's raining
    b. you'll be cross with yourself when you see all our happy, smiling faces tomorrow afternoon and think "that could have been me"
    c. do you really want to wait until 2013?
    d. how many people can claim to have run Britain's hardest marathon and done the L2B in one weekend?

Go on!!!

• ....nicely put Lorenzo image but, but, but....
  • argh, ive been putting off looking at this forum recently as I know collective anxiety is no good for me - plus I didnt want to get put off by everyone elses impressive training!

But Im here, Im scared and Im terribly in awe of others training (Chris Oco is my hero image).  Still the difficulty of the course means I have no expectations of my time and Im just going to turn up and hope to complete it before the cut off.

Im reluctant to wear my trail or feel shoes as I dont like them for long distance - would I be really very foolish to stick with my roadies???

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Roadies'll get you round. No probs.

Top tip - vaseline on the nipples (and under the armpits and in the groinal area) to avoid/reduce chafing. I kid you not.

Forecast is for thundery heavy rain. Woohoo!

Kipper - I would forgive you. Your legs would not.
  • Dr Rob - are you still sticking with your comment on the website: "The race may be postponed until later the same day if temperatures at the start line exceed 28°C"?

Ditto re the vaseline comment!

Katie - don't be anxious. This is one of the best runs that you'll come across in terms of support from other runners, whether it's those also doing the Picnic or the guys doing the Midsummer Munro who will take every opportunity to cheer you on or shout "nutter" at you. Just being there makes you a hero / heroine.