Options

The Trionium Picnic Marathon

1234568»

Comments

• Options

Kipper- to be honest, it wasn't as bad yesterday as I thought it would be, although I'm aching a bit this morning. My legs held out going up Ditchling Beacon, though I was some way behind you.

Didn't really enjoy the first few miles, stopping at every other damn set of traffic lights, but I kept reminding myself that it was all in a good cause. Wonderful views from the top and then the descent into Brighton.

Might treat myself to a new bike as a reward for all the effort!

Thanks again to you and all the other marshals for braving the elements on Saturday - what was going through your head when the storm broke at 1.30?!

• Options

Kipper- Great marshalling, you truly did help on the way back for the final time, at least till I got to the bottom of the eiger steps.

I even gave you a mention to my friends at the finish, along the lines of, some madman was hiding in the trees calling me Usain Bolt, did you see him? or was I hallucinating?

Big thanks to all the marshalls, you were all magnificent, maybe see you again in 2 years

• Options

Great marshalling all round, what a race!!!! Hope the Hawaiian shirt brought some brightness when the clouds came round, absolutely stunning course and loved the stepping stones.

A big hello to all and see you at the Greensand.    

• Options

Loved the shirt Iain!  Made me smile image

I had an awesome day, the storm heightened my nerves and anticipation but ultimately brought a better sense of teamspirit with all the runners.

The marshalls, you were awesome - having my name on my marmite top was a good call, I am indebted to your support.  From the wisecracks, the advice, the cheers and the volume - you were all brilliant.

It was great to be able to cheer runners on in the opposite direction, although a bit unnerving in the very narrow tree passage.  Everything I want to say has already been seen, except - thanks for the carrots, i loved them! 

That last downhill felt like the best sprint in my life!  And Capricorn your cheeriness was unending, when I saw you I couldnt help grinning. 

Thanks Dr and all the rest of you for a fabulous day (and my first first!) - (my legs might not feel the same way though....)

• Options

P.s. Hi Dr Rob and everyone else, quick question, does anybody know where there is a course run through or elevation graph for this route?? people keep asking me so they can walk it or run it. I can remember most of it but some of the little tracks I can't place.

Any help much appreciated.

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Iain.

Here's my run on Garmin connect http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93253059 

The profile is horrific!

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

Thanks Chimney

Thats perfect, sure I can figure it out from that. (see what you mean about the profile lol)

• Options
    Iain - lovely bright cheerful flappy shirt, I did grin to myself each time I saw you image The whole day was so crazy that nothing seemed out of the ordinary ! I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if a pink elephant ran past.
    Katiecom - awesome strong run - well earned 1st 1st image

Its been hard trying to explain what it was like to the non-running mortals at work commenting on my hobbling - "well I did this race on Saturday, and it was really hilly and the were lots of steps ..... " .
    You had to be there on the day.
  • Options
    I find "hardest marathon in the UK" works quite well, but then they ask "and how long was your marathon this time?" image
  • Options
    In answer to Katiecom, I would answer 26.88 miles this timeimage
  • Options

Katie - congrats on your victory.

You flew past me coming down the Shute and seemed to have a smile on your face, or was that a grimace?! image

• Options

I love downhills!  (well. its much better than up, isnt it??)

So we dont have to wait another 2 years for this monster, who's up for next year?? 

• Options
    Yes, I'll be there again for the 'one of' Olympic special in 2012!

And Katie, you should enter the Knacker Cracker on New Year's Day. Just as hilly but only a quarter of the distance!
  • Options

I fancy a crack at this now you've all shown me how its done.....

• Options

I was one of the Juniper Bottom marshalls -Yyou all did brilliantly and made the Eiger Steps look easy.

Reading all the feedback just added to the day. FYI, I have just recovered my voice from all the cheering  but I had an awesome day and as someone who loves endurance racing / ultra running etc. I can thoroughly recommend "seeing things from the other side"....just filling up the water cups I clocked 2 miles on my gps image

See you all in 2 years time!

• Options
    Reda, you lot were so noisy! Thanks to you and Kipper for excellent marshalling. I stopped halfway with a dodgy hip, and I think for next year I'll be marshalling.
  • Options
    A huge thanks to all of the marshalls ....... it inspired me to help out on one of Dr Rob's events!
  • Options

Thanks for an amazing day. Sheer insanity!

Marshalls were brilliant. Weather, terrain, & emotions extreme.

Real anti climax now its over. How can I follow that!!!!

• Options
    Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    He he.... The Greensand Marathon, that's how!

My emails are not working, sorry for any delay in replying to emails....
  • Options

Congrats Katie on 1st lady excellent achievement.

Thanks Dr Rob for a fantastic event, hard as advertised and equally captivating, even going up and down the steps I was thinking about next time and I am definitely looking forward to next year.

Thanks to all the Marshall's on the course (Gwen thank you) and the people on the water station's you were all star's cheering us on out there.

I hope every-one's recovered from any muscle soreness or niggles and look forward to seeing you at the next Picnic.

• Options

JWheezy, that is very kind of you. Which one were you?

There was someone running in the 5-toe shoes? Were they any good? I am a bit sceptical.

Someone running very kindly gave me a piece of chocolate - much appreciated.

I had not marshalled before and I'll probably do it again as it was very motivational. So any tips would be good. I felt a bit of a fraud as I am a lapsed runner and have not run further than a half. The names on the numbers were a brilliant idea.

Huge thanks to Kipperonabike for his company and wise insights, and to Arthur and Karl for helping me find the start, and to everyone else for being terrific. 

• Options

From what I gathered the guy in the vibrams was severely regretting it a few miles in!  Ive seen guys in other ultras wearing minimal shoes though, i just suspect getting them so wet is not ideal?

Thanks for marshalling, you guys made the event the success it was.  Its a great course, but without your encouragement Im not sure I would have made it round a second time!