Marathon Des Sables 2011

13»

Comments

• some cracking pics of your beach holiday there Birdy - only 2 issues - where's the sea? and you are wearing crocs at one point!! and pink ones at that......... image

congrats again
  • Oh that's not me in the Crocs - that's my pal Nicky whose feet were so wrecked she couldn't get her trainers on without cutting them to shreds (the trainers that is)! She is on antibiotics still!

never did find the sea but did see a river at one point - right in the middle of the desert...very odd.

ahh happy memories...mostly...but I'm quite glad not to be sleeping in an open tent tonight!

• you're forgiven about the Crocs then - you can slap your pal for me instead - bad feet or no bad feet..........image

Gobi next eh?? looked at that myself as it wouldn't be as hot but never done any more than look at it.......
  • FB if you can do an ironman you could do one of these....if you don't mind bits of your feet falling off!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I am truly and deeply impressed! <bows deeply>

And hugely envious ... I doubt I have the cojones to attempt this one, but hey ho, you never know.

• Its definitely worth doing but does require a big financial and personal time commitment.

My blog is now complete....

http://www.realbuzz.com/blogs/u/Birdypie/mission-to-morocco-mds-2011/

I might print it all off this weekend and have a little look back ...

• nice succinct blog there Birdy - stick to the facts without the waffle - like it

congrats once again - I trust you're enjoying the wine and rest now!!

and I still have no intention of doing it ta... image
  • sensible lad. Nicky still struggling to walk. I was going to swim last night but the pool was shut. Rest of this week is alcohol based enjoyment so probably no return to the running shoes til next week! I'm sure the legs are appreciating it!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Yes, an excellent to-the-point blog. Sounds like you paced yourself sensibly.

Really ... well done image

• How do you go about getting the ECG for the race guys?
  • I did mine here;

http://www.sportsmedicinecentre.org/scottish_football.cfm?curpageid=691

or you could try these lads, Andys the man when it comes to running ultras,

http://www.marathonmedicalservices.co.uk/index.htm

Failing that try your local docs, although this can be a very hit or miss affair as they often dont understand what they're looking at when it comes to interperating an endurance trained runners ECG, Most long distance runners will show up as having "abnormalities" but this is to be expected and the software on the ECG machine gets a wee bit confused. I wont go into details but my doctor got very confused about the whole thing, so much so that I had to get a couple of ECG's echocardiograms and a letter from the proffesor of cardiology just to sort him out.

have a search around on themds.co.uk forum theres loads more on this there or try googling "athletic heart syndrome" if your interested.

Hi Birdy, good work by the way image  

• I struggled with getting the ECG done and in the end had to ask a favour at the hospital where I worked. Local docs wouldn't do it and bizarrly even the local Bupa hospital were not keen. I think Rab's suggestions above are probably the easiest option unless you know someone locally with hosie connections!

Cheers Rab! ....just starting to think about what next!!image

• Hi Birdypie, found you at last, bit late but big big congrats!  It was the notification for registration for 2013 that reminded me to search you out.  Just read your blog and I wont be signing up anytime soon!!  No marathon for me this year, under the Ciropracter now and have to give the old body a rest, but will be back on track/trail next year as have defered my Coniston Trail Marathon place to next summer.

Do hope your feet are recovered and you are taking a well earned rest with loads and loads of cake!!! 

• Hey SCharm!! Yes I made it. Just about recovered now. I came back relatively unscathed compared to many so I'm back running again now - in fact it looks as if I'm doing the Green Belt Relay this weekend! Once you are fit again its worth considering - utterly amazing adventure but brutal!

Hope the chiropractor is helping and you are back on your feet soon. Coniston trail sounds rather lovely..might have to look into that one myself! I'm still on the old Sub 4.30 thread with the rest of the gang! image

• robotrobot ✭✭✭
    Scharm, please tell me, what or where is the notification for registration for 2013 that you mentioned in your post?
  • I'm also interested in MDS 2013!

Moving to Dubai in Aug this year, so all my running and Tri's will be in desert from then. Will be looking for a training plan and getting the miles in.

Currently up to 35km in 3 hrs offroad in hills in Lancashire, so upping distance in readyness!

Where can I go for tips, guys?

• Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭
    Guys have a look on Running sahara UK's website...think the MdS opens around the 25th at 10.30, better be quick, will fill in mins
    Gingergav - not sure if you can enter through the running sahara company as it is only for resident Brits and few other counties in Europe IIRC....there will be a seperate company organising the entry side of it for the middle east...and it may well be alot cheaper for you through them i beleive
  • If you visit the MDS forum you will find loads of advice and knowledge - very friendly forum so if you are going to go for it head over there.

http://www.themds.co.uk/forums/index.php

Best of Morocco are the only UK company who have places- when I registered in 08 it sold out in a couple of hours but the drop out rate is very high so its worth getting on the wait list. Good luck everyone!!

I'm not registering....i'm not. No. Not again. No.

Birdy i think Runningsahara have taken over from Best of Morocco  for the UK now

and never say never..........image

• oh really? About time I guess I think BoM have had a monopoly for quite some time - they did look after us very well though. ahh, happy memories! image

...tinged with blister related pain!

• I got a "personal" email I once expressed an interest and was actually told I could have a place for 2012 - I think they must just lurk on various forums looking for people who are a little bit unhinged when it comes to running challenges!!!

Birdy - I gave up my club place for London this year - it ended up with just my name and two others who hadn't done it before in the hat and as there is only two places felt I should let someone who hasn't done it before have the experience.  The thoroughly enjoyed it and I wasn't fit enough anyway so worked out for the best, will not be giving up any places for next year though.

Right off to lurk on sub 4.30 again.