Best areas for running holidays in the UK

Hi All I’m looking to book a holiday cottage for a week somewhere in England. I want somewhere with great running routes as I plan to be out everyday. It would be good to be in a small village as well. That is my only criteria. Suggestions?

Comments

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

There are some nice tracks for running on in mid Derbyshire around the Ashbourne/Matlock area.   

Round Carsington Water is a hilly 8 miler,   you've got the Tissington and High Peak trails which join up and then join up to Cromford Canal so you could easily do over 30 miles off road on them - they aren't circular but you could easily make circular routes and you could join them up to Carsington.  There are some other little places you could try like Shining Cliff woods which could be worked in too.  There is also a similar track over at the Manifold Valley not far away or you could run over the hills from Milldale and come back along Dovedale - though it can be a bit busy on a weekend it's really nice when it's quiet.  

There should be quite a choice of holiday cottages round there I would think.   The only thing it hasn't got is the sea.  

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Viper - I went to Newton Ferrers in Devon earlier in the year - loads of holiday cottages nearby...hilly as feck but some amazing running up on the coastpath and through the little villages...its a really nice part of Devon because Plymouth is that far away but its very remote.

Helpful holidays are a good bet for cottages - might be worth looking at their site for the kind of thing you want (they do all over the country as well).

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Where are you based?

Cornwall could be good - unless you are already there. Also - if you live in Caithness, it might be a tad too far to go.

Pembrokeshire and Cornwall can be good though as they are sort of peninsula-y....so you can make loops out of coastal paths. 

New Forest could be good also.

As could lake district - Ican recommend accommodation in the Lakes - friend of mine - he is a runner and can recommend lots of routes...low-level too - in forests - all sorts! Its in a village - with a pub, just outside of Coniston.

Cotswolds (where I am from) - lots of footpaths/trails etc if you have a map or two!

• North Norfolk coast is pretty nice to run round, lots of little villages around.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Thanks for the suggestions .                                   

Popsider I was actually thinking of Derbyshire and you’ve reassured me it would be a good choice! I’m based in the North East so it’s reasonable driving distance as well.

I do like the idea of the lakes as well. Nick which one is it that your friend runs? 

Devon or Cornwall would be a bit far to travel I think. I’ve also been to North Norfolk recently so would like to try somewhere else.  

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

my friend runs Sunny Brae cottage. He is training for the Lakeland 100 at the moment.

Coniston is a nice village as its not as busy as Ambleside etc - and the coast is pretty close too.

• Mr Viper...if you decide to visit Derbyshire aim for Hartington. Lovely village with pubs and cafe. Close to all the places mentioned by popsider.  Also try the Greyhound Pub at Warslow. Great beer and food ( it was last time I visited). Great views across the moors and a car boot in the village on Sunday to get your holiday pressiesimage  
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    usually holiday in the UK, cant say there has been a single location that doesnt have decent run routes.
    I live in Hampshire but Devon, Cornwall, dorset, wales, lakes, derbyshire, cotswolds, east anglia, north yorks...all good running (to name just a few)  Just buy the O/S explorer maps and pick a few routes!
  • 2nd the lake district, My Auntie runs a top B&B in Keswick and there's loads of different walks that can be used for running plus there's loads of other stuff to do while you're not running.

Failing that, maybe east coast around whitby, robin hoods bay etc. They have the cleveland way which runs along the coast and plenty of trails to run on round the local villages such as littlebeck, ruswarp etc. Plus a bit of beach running as well if you time it right

• Always take running stuff when I go to the Lakes,usually stay in the Keswick area.Lots of places/footpaths to run on and off road without climbing high.Keswick or Coniston would be lovely areas but I'd tend to stay away from the more busy Ambleside or Windemere.lovely views too!