Options

Sub 3.30 2011

Comments

• Options

3:30 or bust: I was on those threads too! Are you aiming for FLA 2011?

I've been running but not racing the last couple of years so really have no clue what i am capable of right now. Have signed up for the Munich Half in October and then will be aiming for a spring marathon (Paris? Rotterdam? Not sure yet.) Did LFM in 2005 in 3:28 but its 5 years later...

Doing some serious training for the half, including speed work. Never thought I'd be doing intervals of my own volition! 

• Options

Hi all,

Had a mini-drama last week during a lunchtime run, going downhill turned round to check traffic before crossing... must have landed in a pothole or something as the next thing I knew I was flat out on my front! OUCH! A quick check over confirmed nothing more than a very, very nasty gash on my knee... thankfully no lasting damage!

My cheque was cashed last week image

My times so far are (all set this year):

10K - 44:42

1/2 mara - 1:36

Full - 3:38

Got a flat 10K coming up in two weeks, followed by GNR in a month. Aiming for PBs at both! It's all building up to Amsterdam marathon,  but going to see how well I run at GNR before setting a target time.

Training all going good, did an interval session tonight - oh my are they hard! But they must work, I've only this year started running intervals properly but took my half mara time from 1:39 in January to 1:36 in April.... surely couldn't have been a fluke?!

Keep injury free people (and watch out for pesky potholes)

• Options

Carrot-great times. Not at that level yet but working towards it!

When is the amsterdam marathon and interested to compare what intervals you are currently  doing? I am 8 weeks away from my marathon and yesterday did 5x 800m with 1 mile warm up/cool down. Sure was tough getting the last one in the bag!! Would you think that is about right? Also doing a hills Vo2 max session weekly but not sure if at this stage 2 of those sessions a week is OTT. Any thoughts?

• Options

brimps - similar to me with the intervals sessions, I more often than not do 800s with 200m recoveries... currently managing 7 x 800m with 1K warm and 1K cool down. That last one sure does hurt, I always sleep well after an intervals session!

Amsterdam is flat as a pancake so I've heard, it's on 17th October. I usually do hills each week, although had about six weeks off hills over the summer following Edinburgh marathon due to holidays, festivals, saving myself for the odd 10K.. and just enjoying a few weeks of not training quite so hard!

Now I'm back at the hills but only really as I'm back in marathon build up, while I'm no expert I'd maybe just stick to one tough session a week if you've not got an autumn marathon planned, could alternate hills one week then intervals the next? They're the same kind of session anyway... Tempo is another option if you wanted to add another speedy session to your training?

• Options
    I would love to beat 3.30. Have done London  6 times, been rejected last 5 years.3 times run between 3.30 and 3.35 but  3.30 is my nemesis. Next year is THE year or I give up(if I get in that is)
  • Options

Nice little flurry of activity on this thread. Although sounds like a nasty fall Carrot.

With intervals, I was getting into a nice little pattern of alternating shorter, faster 800m repeats with mile reps at 10K pace.

I say was because this summer has turned into a disaster for me training wise and VLM seems very far away at the moment. This October's half marathon will definitely not be a PB attempt. After losing 5 weeks to illness I'm considering giving up any hopes of speed and donning a banana costume. 

• Options
    Wobbled, I'll join you as 'Professor Whiplash' since my training is a complete disaster area - an interval for me is a slow jog to the post box at the end of the road, then a walk back to recover.  Have just booked accommodation in London for the weekend as Mr O4S has got his first ever GFA place [passing a noteable birthday next Feb] so we thought we would treat ourselves to Saturday and Sunday night - beginning to think i might still be out on the course at the time of the planned celebration meal.  This is a sub 13.30 thread isn't it???
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My summer's running has been pretty non existent....combination of achilles and calf problems and a lot of CBA attitude that I seriously need to get rid of image. I'm looking at this long weekend coming to get by a**e back in gear and get out there!

Let's not lose faith though folks...3.30 will be ours image

• Options

carrot, that sounds brutal. but at least you had the pothole as an excuse. I've ended up flat on my face in the middle of the sidewalk and have no idea how i got there. I tell myself it the crooked paving stones. It could just be my own two feet though!

your race times are exactly what mine were before i broke 3:30. On a flat course like Amsterdam, you should be well on your way!

brimps, I've been doing sets of 800s or 200s (no idea why there is such a short distance in my half mara training plan but I'll stick to it for now) and have a pyramid of 200,400,600, 800 to run today. I prefer doing hills but think I overdid it one autumn doing hills every week and created some hip issues. I wouldn't do two sessions of hills a week. At most one hills, one interval. fartlek would be another  option.

have a question on training at race pace. how often should you do this and over what kinds of distances, if you're training for the marathon? I like the idea of getting the feel of how fast you're supposed to be going during the race but have a really hard time gauging this without a HR monitor.

Freemers, hope those injuries are getting better fast!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, I would like to go sub 3:30 too.  I ran 3:36 at London this year and 3:32:50 in Chester. I've had a good long rest over the summer and I'm just starting to work up to my next race in September.  If I don't get into london then I'll have a go somewhere else in the spring.

*Waves to Freemers*...

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

*Hello Puffy...are we a bit sneaky for joining another thread? I won't tell if you won'timage*

baking runner - I like to put some MP miles into some of my long runs, and usually at the back end. so in a 20 miler I would run the last 5-6 miles at MP. Just trying to get used to knocking out 8m/m when your legs are tired, so that it feels like a natural pace. Kinda worked in my spring marathon, up unitl the 24 mile point when things got tougher!  This time around I am going to work on the basis that my MP is 7.55m/m, so that hopefully I will have a few minutes in hand in the last few miles.

• Options

(de-lurks)

I 'lurk' on here but if Freemers and Puffy  are out and proud - then I'm coming out of the closet too.

I'm trying to batter an old PB of 3.35 down to sub 3.30, but have failed for 2 years running. Keen to folow everyone else's training and pick up tips!

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Well we've done it now haven't we!
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Ok Nick, Mr P...just keep it between us OK? Come on folks, we only have a few minutes to knock off, you know we can do it image
  • Options

baking runner that's the sort of thing I like to hear! Just a case of keep up the training now... I seem to have had a cracking week so far, it's almost as if something inside me has realised all the hard training I'm putting in and thought, 'oh, ok, I'll go faster then'.... hoping it's not going to all go pear shaped!

Race pace - I usually do one or two five mile runs a week on a treadmill, just as recovery runs really in between harder sessions, but try to do these at 8m/m. It always seems really easy when it's not very far! Treadmills don't suit everyone but they're perfect for maintaining pace. I also get a midweek run of between 7-10 mile, also ends up averaging around 8m/m but there's not a flat route to be had where I live. For example, did 9.76 miles last night average pace 7:56, but the first 5 mile was up and down with one hill that looks practically vertical on my training log image

Knee just has a little scab on now folks, a mere memory of the carnage that was a few weeks ago image

• Options
    Freemers, carrot - thanks for the suggestions  on MP training. I can see the logic in bumping up the pace at the end of a long run. carrot, that hilly route sounds fantastic to me: its a flat as a pancake where I am! Hills are hard but at least you're get to use some different muscles occassionally!
  • Options

First race of the autumn for me today - Tees Pride 10K. I'm really not a fan of 10Ks but as it's local I usually go along. Aimed to PB, and go sub-44.... finished in 43:40! image 

It wasn't one of my better paced races, considering it's as flat as flat can be, splits were 4:19, 4:24, 4:22, 4:14, 4:07 (!), 4:20, 4:21, 4:30, 4:35 and 4:23.... so the wheels were well and truly coming off by the end but ah well, it's still a good minute taken off my old PB.

GNR in two weeks, start zone Orange B, target sub 1:36 image

• Options

Great race carrot - always good to get a PB image. Hope GNR goes well - never done it myself but always looks like fun on the TV, so long as you can get away quick enough with all the crowds.

I seem to have a bit more momentum. Picked my long run up to 10 miles yesterday - didn't feel great but got it done. Tempo session today too - 5 miles in 38 minutes. Had to run quick as it was starting to rain image. No races planned until a HM at the end of November, so just looking for a good base until then. Looking back at last year's summer training logs they were even more non existent than this year, so at least I am slightly further forward. Last August I had a knee injury which curtailed any long runs - I didn't run anything over 6 miles until October!

• Options

Well ahead of where you were this time last year then Freemers image Well done on the 10 miles, it's a good feeling to get into double figures.

GNR is good fun, I've not done it for a few years but actually looking forward to it. It's a long day out, I only live about 25 miles away from both the start and finish lines yet the last few times I've done it I've been out of the house from 7:30am til around 5pm! But the red arrows are cool and it's great to see so many people turning out year on year to support the crowds, spray runners with hosepipes, hand out slices of oranges... and trays of beer!

• Options

I can beat that with the red arrows carrot - there is a local country show in a village close to where I live, sort of like a county show but on a smaller scale! Every few years they book the red arrows and this year it was on Bank Holiday Monday, which also just so happens to be my birthday. Anyway, as we live so close we could see the whole thing from our garden. It was like they were performing just for me image

Nice part of the world to live in - we go to Northumberland on holiday quite a bit - up there in October for a couple of weeks.

Interval session for me yesterday. The intervals themselves were not as quick as they should be, but it's the first one I have done in ages. 6x600m "fast" with 200m recovery. I have no idea if that is the right sort of session....I did read somewhere that you should do longer intervals for marathon training (800m - 1km) but I can't quite bring myself to do that yet! Rest day today.

• Options

Oh what a cool birthday that would have been! From the comfort of your own garden too!

Tonight was my intervals session, did 6 x 1000m... they're not easy but not half as bad as I expected, I was partly fuelled on by intense hatred of the DVLA - I've just received my annual tax disc / vehicle licence renewal and it's going to set me back £200! I only drive a Ford Ka! It's frustrating as I need my car for work, not just commuting but for getting from one site to another. Ah well can't be helped I suppose, it'll do me good to not be able to afford nights out image

• Options

Hi all,

peek back at forum. Did bristol half sunday. tried pace race at even 8 milers-was surprised that I managed to do it for the entire race-knocked 3 mins off hm pb. Not confident of Autumn 3.30 but who knows-London?

Did interval session 5x 1 mile with 500m recovery-looking at others interval sessions do you think am taking too much recovery time between each interval?

Regards Mp runs have read in advanced marathoning book (douglas and kitzinger) to do 18 miles with 14 at mp about 6 weeks out from goal marathon-thats my goal this sunday-wish me luck ,as, like you carrots, there are hills every which way!!!

• Options

Good luck with the 18 miles tomorrow brimps image How longer do your recoveries take? I only walk mine so don't feel as if I need as much recovery, if I jogged them I'd probably take longer.  I'm borrowing an idea from another thread on here for a session that I'll do after next week's GNR - 4 x 1 mile at increasing pace. Eg, 1 mile at MP, 1 mile at HMP, 1 mile at tempo pace, 1 mile at 10K pace. Will more than likely be tougher than it sounds! But I like the idea of changing the pace.

LSR done for me this morning, over a reasonably flat route with two big hills at 5 and 12 mile. Run averaged 8:13mm - better paced than the 20 from two weeks ago which averaged 8:06!! It was pretty much the same route as today, only with a little extra added on, I was just concerned that it was not much slower than my anticipated marathon pace. To be honest I found this morning slightly tougher, the 20 seemed easy.... possibly just needed more fluid this morning as I only had a teeny bottle in a belt.

I've not read that book, is it any good? I have Hal Higdon's 'Marathon' but might have a scout on ebay for the douglas and kitzinger one.

• Options

carrot-impressed by those lsr timings. I had the most diastrous lsr saturday-first 4 miles 8 mm and then stuffing knocked out of me and for 17 miles average was 9.57mm-think I must be coming down with something or last weeks half really knocked me.

On interval my recovery is 70-80% time of interval length-was concerned not to walk as read that lactate levels more likely to remain but is that just theory as do like the sound of walking insteadimage

will google hal higdon book as good to look at  different approaches.That increased pace run is good idea so may try to fit that one in. Good luck with gnr image

• Options

Got the ball rolling today with a 1:40 half at Lake Vyrnwy, I usually run about 1:43 at this time of year, so I am encouraged by that. 

Carrot I've seen that session (or similar ) too, I quite fancy a go.

• Options

I like increasing sessions too - quite often do that on the treadmill and just keep notching up the speed. It feels great when you have done the last one like you are really flying!

Nice HM Puffy...good that you are ahead of normal! I'm hoping for similar in the Norwich half, although that is not until the end of November. Last two years have been around the 1.43, but I would really like to creep under 1.40 this year.

brimps - hopefully one bad run is just one of those things, or as you say you might have a slight bug. Take a few days rest and see how you feel mid-week.

That's great going for 20+ miles carrot.

13 LSR for me yesterday, after 6 fast on Friday and again on Saturday. To be honest I was only intending on doing 11 (aiming to increase by just a mile a week for the long ones) but I mis-judged the route and ended up with a couple extra. It actually felt easier than last week's 10, although my legs were a bit tired by the end. No soreness or anything this morning though, which is a good sign.

• Options
    Don't think I haven't spotted you traitors over here image Not that I'm here anyway lol image
  • Options

Did the 4 x 1 mile session last night on the treadmill... 1K warm up and 1K cool down with 1 minute walk recoveries... thoroughly enjoyed the session! It was good to finish still feeling OK, I didn;t want a tough session what with a race on Sunday! Highly recommended session folks image

3 miles easy for me tonight, rest tomorrow then a little half marathon on Sunday.

It's always nice when a longer run feels easier than a lower mileage run the week before, getting stronger Freemers. 

• Options
    A local 10k for me on Sunday, but I have the first cold I can remember having for at least a year.  I'm not going to miss it though, I can jog to the start   from my house!
  • Options

Can't miss out on such a local 10K Mr Puffy image  Plenty of Berocca and First Defence tomorrow....