Sub 3.30 2011

Comments

• Mr Puffy-must be the time of year-also struck down with a cold-explains disaster lsr last week-only 5 weeks to goal marathon and very frustrated at my lethargy. 11 miler at 8.22m/m today but only run 30 miles this week!! 5 mile league race tomorrow so way down on goal mileage this week-probably right to allow bug fighting but can see that pb marathon slipping away!

carrot-I will also try the berocca and first defence!!

• Yes but it's out of the way now image

• Morning folks....hope the GNR went well for those that did it?

How was the 10k Puffy? And the 5 miler brimps?

11 mile LSR for me yesterday - it was the one I should have done the week before, and felt fantastic all the way. Started with 8.30s-8.40s but increased the speed and ran the last 4 miles in 7.30s. That felt goodimage

• GNR - 1:36:23

So a new PB, only by half a minute but still... That was my fourth GNR and yet I always thought it was flat?!? I did just used to run because I liked running, rather than wanted to run faster and faster, so I never really worried about mile splits and gentle inclines adding 20 seconds to my planned pace! Still keeps me in the sub - 3:30 category on those nifty race predictors (if only it was that easy!)

Good LSR Freemers, well done finishing strong image

• 30 seconds is a good chunk!  My mate ran a similar time to you Carrot at lake Vyrnwy, I couldn't see her for dust. Well, as soon as I started top warm up I felt a bit heavy, and I trotted round to just under 46 minutes for the 10k.  It was a miserable day, and I got into a bit of a tussle with a bloke on the line, I went to pass him and he tried to force me off the course, so I elbowed my way past him only for him to try to skip past me in the funnel.

Left a sour taste really, I like a race, but not like that, it was as if he thought I had no right to come back at him.

So, that and the half put me just outside the 3:30 category! The cold has really kicked in too, so I have withdrawn from Sunday's Macclesfield half and plan on a nice slow 15 miler instead.

• Ok think I am in the wrong thread!!! Brilliant times on GNR-me thinks training needs stepping upimage

Freemers-5 miler was a pb for me (perhaps as the only 5 miler I have done!) 37.43 and nearly managed my first sub 7 mile-missed by 1 second!

Think cold is being shaken off so one more 55 mile week and then taper down to mallorca marathon on 17th. Looking forward to those sangrias alreadyimage

• Sounds like an eventful day out Mr Puffy, just under 46 minutes for 10K is good going for trotting round. I did Sunderland 10K in just under 46 minutes in June not trying to race it following a boozy few weeks of holiday / music festival. You should have given the bloke at the finish a wedgie though image

Brimps - Mallorca Marathon? Oh no, another one on the 'to do' list. Mmmm, sangria image  Glad the cold is disappearing

• Evening all - been lurking on here for a few days wondering wether to jump in or not.

I'm already a sub 3.30 marathoner but all the other threads have been going for several years and at least this one is focussed on London 2011. The others appear to have drifted off all over the place.

So, hope you don't mind me plonking my butt down in the middle of this thread and joining you?

Please say yes image

• OK alright then Dave. But as you are already sub 3.30 you have to promise to give us all tips on how to do it. Certainly not with boobs like that...image 

Nice PB by the way carrot at the GNR. You know that will translate into a 3.30 or quicker - just have to put in the work. Simplesimage

And Puffy - 46 for a 10k with a cold is no bad run! Shame about the ultra competitor runner - life's too short for that, unless you are really at the pointy end of the race!

I haven't run since Monday - just having a bit of a nightmare at work and am completely shattered. But I will get out today, even if I have to take a colleague with me to discuss the project we're working on! He'll curse me but I know he'll thank me later (maybe?). I should also be able to get a tempo in tomorrow and then 12-13 LSR Sunday.

• hi all-last 20 miler for me today  and now 3 weeks  slow taperimage-got my mojo back after cold and got through heavy weeks relatively injury free so any tips on how to get the most out of taper/recovery weeks?

Mr P-how is your cold?Hope over the worst now.

R Dave-welcome. More advice the better for me!!

• Right, I'm back and determined to get going with this training.  Cycle touring in the French Alps, with over 70,000 feet of ascent and a fully loaded touring bike, has left me with quads the size of a weight lifter, masses of endurance but no speed at all when running.  Have entered the Swindon half, the Round Rotherham 50 mile multi terrain race and the Stroud half in three consecutive weeks in October, will then decide whether to stick with this thread or shuffle off to the sub 3.45 or even sub 4.00.  Have even entered the Cornish marathon in November to try and make the most of my uphill running muscles, which are more or less the same as uphill cycling muscles.  Managed a slow run yesterday on and off road, no idea of distance but we ran for two and a half hours, so at least I am getting back into it.  Inspired / depressed in equal measure by all your times over the last month when I haven't been running but at least it has spurred me on to get racing again 
  • Brimps - where is your race in 3 weeks? Is it Amsterdam? If it is then lucky you.

Your weekly mileage looks very high to me. I have only posted three 50+ weeks all year and they were all in January when I try to reach 250miles in the month. After that I ease off to around 40 miles/week to the spring marathon and have an interval seesion on a Friday and one session a week that focusses on core strength (no running)

It works for me but not everyone's the same.

You also asked about wether you should try to improve your shorter distance times in order to bring your FM time down. I would say yes as it will help you to generate a faster 'natural' pace which can only help in FM's but remember you need to strike a balance between good natural pace and endurance. It isn't easy.

Hope that helps.

Old4Speed - that cycling sounds great fun but tough. Hope you enjoy the RR50 - I considered it this year but then crawled back under my stone

• Have you room for another under that stone??  Common sense is starting to return....................
  • R Dave- marathon is in Mallorca and hoping the sun not too fierce! Been following training programme in Advanced marathon book by Douglas and Pvitzinger. Although slacked on the interval training!! That is just the intermediate programme-passed on the 70+weekly mileage programme!! I do possess a bit of sanity-unlike old4speedimage Must admit been on the brink of injury most time!
  • Cold is gone after I did a slow 15 miles on Sunday rather than the half I'd entered.  I'll take it easy this week, perhaps a light run on Wedneday and Thursday before a challenging trail race on Sunday next.

Then it will be ballot result time for London image

My Taper Tip is to eat chocolate!

• Welcome R Dave

Old4speed - don't even think of shuffling off! There's looooads of time to get back up to speed before London. And that's a pretty hardcore three weeks of events image

Glad you're getting better Mr Puffy, fingers crossed for the ballot. My boyfriend is hoping to get in too.

Last LSR done for me too on Saturday, yippee! Did 21.25 miles, tested out my new camelbak - I can't believe I've waited this long to get one, it was fab. All went relatively incident-free, swallowed a rather large fly at 17 miles and spend a few moments dry retching.... then remembered I has my lovely new camelbak on so just washed it down with a bit of fluid. Saved having another gel anyway!

Chocolate, like I need an excuse. Bar of the week is Green and Blacks Butterscotch, nom nom nom

• Carrot - a woman of taste I see.  Green and Black butterscotch is bar of the millenium for me [although to be fair to other brands I do try and sample loads of different choc bars for the purposes of research].  Am trying having a weekly leg / hip massage at the moment as we have brilliant facilities at the University where I work.  Seems to be helping quite a lot, especially combined with a foam roller for the ITB.  You do start to feel a bit seasick if you watch TV while using the roller - but a few squares of G&B usually do the trick
  • Been unsuccessful in VLM ballotimage

Disappointing as marathon in 2 weeks more than likely qualify me for GFA barring any catastrophe.Will have to console myself with that. Always the running club ballot to pin my hopes on. Was anyone else in the ballot?

Carrot/old4speed-much more of a dairy milk person! Think I will drown my sorrows this evening with a good carb load!!!image

• Hello!

Would like to join in on this thread if you guys think I capable of running sub 3:30 for FLM '11. Was lucky enough to get a ballot place at the 4th attempt. So here goes:

Am I likely to achieve a sub 3:30 with these time (I will put the training in)?

Half: 92 mins

10k: 41 mins

Has anyone experience of the P&D schedules - I was thinking of doing the beginner one.

I already have signed up for a 10 miler in January and a half in March but in order to train smartly I'd like some idea of what sort of paces I should be running.

If it's not obvious this would be my first marathon - think I may have been putting it off until year 5!!!

• Welcome Just running-congrats on VLM place. Just nearing the end of 18 week P and D training schedule for up to 55 miles a week. Seems a well structured and researched training programme. Will let you know how successful in 2 weeks!image On your times sure you will acheive sub 3.30 if you follow this programme. If you look on runbritain.com web site they have lots useful info on pacing and HRM.

• Brimps,

Thanks for the note.

So that the schedule sorted now just need to decide on the pacing.

Good luck for your upcoming race - look forward to seeing how you get on and if you'd make any tweaks to the schedule.

• Hello, I've been living under an internet-less rock for weeks and need to catch up with everyone's training. But quick question for the GFA folks - have you received your magazines yet? Nothing here yet and I'm wandering if VLM have been the latest organisation not to register my change of a address...
  • Got my GFA place / congratulations magazine yesterday Wobbled - as long as your cheque was cashed a few months back I wouldn't worry too much.... maybe contact them to see what address they have registed if you still have nothing by Monday.

Welcome just running, and some cracking times for 10K/HM - those would definitely suggest that you'd sail through sub-3:30 with a decent training programme.

Brimps and anyone else aiming for a GFA place - for VLM 2012 they are changing the cut off date to receive entries from September to July so make sure you've got it in the bag by next spring!

Just a little 13 miler planned for me this morning, this time in two weeks I'll be on the way to the airport!

• Wobbled I know another lady who got her GFA pack yesterday.

JR you will be fine like Carrot said. 

Rejection letter for me, but I have been offered a place with a local charity, so still training, a spring 3:2? somewhere is an important milestone for me to get an eventual 3:15 GFA place myself.

• Thanks carrot - hopefully that'll be the case.

17 miles planned for tomorrow at a nice steady pace.

Thinking about doing Salisbury half in a couple of weeks - has anyone done this race before. Won't be racing hard but want to enter a few more events.

Anyone else racing soon?

• Thanks for feedback. The OH rang VLM to check they had the right address down for us and it all seems to be fine, so I guess my mag will come next week.

I'm racing next weekend - Royal Parks Half. I'm not expecting it to go well, my training has been horribly disrupted all summer and I've now agreed to go away for what will inevitably be a boozy long weekend and fly back early for the race. I'm now changing all my autumn plans so I can try and achieve some pbs at some distance before heading into base training for 2011.

Carrot very nice GNR time there, well done. Just Running, also very envious of your times, I'm sure sub 3.30 will be a breeze if you put the training in.

• Brimps - good luck with the club ballot. that's how I got my place in last years race. The club rules were you had to have volunteered to marshall at least one event and also have a VLM rejection. That left just 3 of us in the club that fitted the criteria in a random ballot for just 3 places. I have to say that even with my reputation for bad luck, I was fairly confident of landing that one.

Carrot. You are a woman of taste but I haven't tried the butterscotch flavour. I'm guessing that anything by Green and Blacks is pretty damn good but I never get passed the chillie flavoured bar - I love the stuff.

Good luck to anyone racing today. I did the local park run yesterday and had my best result ever (4th overall and 1st in age category)

Cross Country season starts next week with 7 races in 8 weeks. Bring on the winter image

• Chilli chocolate?! image Yikes! Also recommend G&B cherry folks, veeery nice!

I've never done a park run, closest ones to me are a good 25 miles away so a bit of a trek for 5K. Good result there though R Dave,

Two weeks today and I'll be finished Amsterdam (well I hope so anyway since it starts at 10:30am) - let's hope the hard work over the summer pays off.

Emjoy the boozy weekend Wobbled - I think they're more fun when they're not a regular occurance (just not the day afterwards) Berocca is good for hangovers too!

• I've changed my mind.  Seventeen mile trail race today in pouring rain and the worst mud I've ever run in.

My clubmates all did really well, it was just me. I think I'll go to the Maldives instead for April image

• 17.5 miles @ 8:30 just done - found it fine. Went with the OH so kept up a conversation all the way round. Then swap over for another 5 miles so she could run home. Hoping the cycling helps the legs! Last long one for a while now. 10 next sunday and then Salisbury half the week after. Then holiday for 2 wks.

Wobbled - Good luck with your half, hope it all goes to plan.