Options

Sub 3.30 2011

Comments

• Options

Carrot-thanks for info on GFA-keeping everything crossed for 2 weeks time in mallorca.Dipped out on outdoor LSR having looked out of window-18 miles on treadmill-nearly died of boredom!

RDave-can i join your running club? Everyone in my club got rejection letters so lots competition in our ballot!

Mr Puffy-am a mud fan-got acceptance for the Grizzly next year-told its one race that shouldn't be missed!!

Just running-you sure you are not up for a 3.30 marathon already? Great training run!

• Options

Brimps - you must have some serious dedication I could never manage that far on a treadmill.

That's about the furtherest I've ever run, although I could have coped with a couple more miles - 9 would be a major ask at the mo. Trying to stay patient and buildup slowly. I dodged the rain but had to wait until 3pm before setting out.

Much better than summer running though!

• Options
    Brimps - I think the lack of rejection letters in our club is more an indication that people gave up trying to get in London years ago.
  • Options
    I feel more justified in coming in here now. Did an untapered 3.32 yesterday, so next stop has to be 3.30 image
  • Options
    gymfreak wrote (see)
    I feel more justified in coming in here now. Did an untapered 3.32 yesterday, so next stop has to be 3.30 image

Nice one gymfreak! Am I right in thinking you've run absolutely stacks of marathons? Where did you run your 3:32 at?

Brimps that's some going on the treadmill, very well done. Most I ever did on the tready was 14 mile last year during all that snow... I was tempted to ask the staff at the gym if they'd stick a DVD on for me.

Well done on the decent training run just running, perfect paced LSR. They're much less of a slog with some company on route.

• Options

Indeed Gymfreak - what race have you targeted for sub 3:30?

Managed 5 x 800m intervals @ an average of 6:11 m/m. First was slowest @ 6:28, last at 6:00 - could have managed 1 or 2 more but held it back for another night. 7 miles in total and feeling fresh now.

2 miles monday @ 9:25 m/m to get the blood flowing after Sunday's effort.

5 miles easy planned for tomorrow and then 6 planned for thursday with 3 @ 6:45 in the middle.

Rest on Friday and then hockey Saturday.

What are everyone's plans for the week ahead?

• Options

I plan to enjoy this cold that I have image

Managed to squeeze in 8 miles last night before it set in but don't think I'll venture out today. I'm staying in Cardiff tomorrow so hopefully a 9 miler there before heading back to Sheffield on Friday.

Saturday will be a first for me with 2 races in one day!!!!!

Park Run on Saturday morning followed by the last leg of a club X-Country run in the afternoon.

Golf on Sunday morning with maybe a light 6 miles in the evening.

Not the best week ever but certainly not a write-off

• Options

Carrot- yeah I run them every weekend, 2 if I can find them image 3.32 was at Mablethorpe. Got a nice trophy for 2nd lady as well which was v unexpected (as was the time lol!!)

JR- that is some speed you run those intervals at. I can't get near that lol. I don't have a target for 3.30 as I never taper or anything, I run big mileage (400ish a month) so when it happens it happens. I just need some nice flat road ones and who knows.....

• Options

Hi all, mind if I join you here? I've just got my ballot place (5th time of trying) and am aiming for sub 3:30. My current PB is 4:12:33 set in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, so I'm a fair way off at the moment, but I've picked up injuries in the training for each of the three marathons I've run so far (London '06, Paris '09 and Berlin) which has really hampered my attempts so far. My half PB is 1:38, so I shouldn't be a million miles away if I stay free of injuries. Next up for me is the Kielder marathon on the 17th, and I'm also doing the Grizzly as part of my build up for London

Graham

• Options
    GF - 400 miles a month. You must spend a fortune on trainers!! Congrats on the trophy and good luck with sub-3:30 over the coming weeks!!

Graham - hello and welcome. Hope you stay injury free then. Are they similar injuries - perhaps finding the cause would be a good plan?
  • Options
    Hi Just Running - all calf strains. I think to be honest it's been caused by trying to build the distance & speed up too quickly when I've been training for an event, and letting it drop off too much between events. After Kielder I'm going have a week or two off, then work out a schedule to get me to the start of the 16 week training programme for London building up to about 25-30 miles/week and the kind of paces I need to be doing at the start of the programme, and keep my fingers crossed!
  • Options

Congrats on the second place gymfreak, I'd have been over the moon with a placing like that! Mind I think you deserve to do so well getting in such high mileage.

Nice intervals session just running, it's always the sign of a good session when you finish faster than you started!

Hill session last night for me, I time the laps from a certain lamppost starting at 2:45 and ending up with a poor 2:53.... thankfully no more of those until Amsterdam on 17th!  Just an easy 5 miler for me tonight instead of a usual 10/11 miles.

How's your taper going brimps?

Welcome kamoshika, well done on the ballot place! How has training gone for Kielder?

• Options

Carrot-tapering according to P and D plan-last interval session-3x 1600m during 8 miles today-kept the HR over 90% during intervals but speed not as fast as I wanted! Dilemma as have race league race this weekend of 10km and not sure whether to drop my 12 miler for this or do both. Any advice?

Gymfreak-how many years has it taken to get to your fitness levels? Am very impressed-I have only managed 200 a month and that is tough enough time tabling as it is!!

Kamoshika-will be at the grizzly as well-not sure what let myself in for having watched you tube! Have you done the race before?

RDave-get better soonimage

• Options

Hi Carrot - Haven't really done any training specifically for Kielder. I ran Berlin a couple of weeks ago, so I'm hoping that the training that I did for that will see me through. Family committments have stopped me doing much since then, though I'm hoping to get out for a few miles this weekend to make sure my legs still work!

brimps - have never run the Grizzly before, but have got colleagues who run it regulalry so have got an idea of what to expect. Looks like a fun event. Are you planning to do any different training to try and prepare for the conditions, or just as normal and see what it throws at us on the day?

• Options

Kamoshika - I've also suffered from calf strains over the summer which is a consequence of rushing my training to make a local half. Hopefully I learnt my lesson and have been building up gradually for the last 2 months.

Is tapering something to look forward to or is it an odd feeling?

Five miles last night at an easy pace and tempo tonight before hockey training. 6 miles in total with 3 in the middle @ 6:42 (amazingly all exactly the same pace).

Going to be sensible on Sunday and only do ten miles.

Not sure what sort of shape I'm in for Salisbury half next Sunday. Might have a crack @ 1:30/1 as I've on hols for 2 weeks the following day. Have done 4 long runs of 17,16, 14.5 & 12 and some reasonable intervals / tempos but am lacking confidence to really give sub 90 a crack......

Any advice?

• Options

Crikey! 2 marathons on a weekend and 400 miles/monthimage How does your body put up with that punishment Gymfreak? I feel exhausted just typing that sentence. Congrats on the 2nd by the way.

Kamoshika - Welcome to the thread and I agree that with your half time you should nail it London. Congratulations on your ballot place as wellimage

Brimps. I'm feeling a little better now but only managed 6 miles and 8 miles whilst ill. I felt really good when running and in the sauna but that feeling vanished as soon as I got changed and went home. Been left with an awful chesty cough that leaves me a bit short for breath. Not ideal as I have 2 races tomorrow.

JR - Sub 90 was the holy grail for me a couple of years back and really struggled to break it. I eventually broke it in a race where I had low expectation following injury. I just went out and relaxed for the first few miles and realised that although i was relaxed, I wasn't very far off pace. I picked it up around 6 miles and broke 90 with ease. I think the secret is to not want it too badly and see where you are around half-way.

As for your question on tapering then in my opinion it's an awful feeling and I struggle to cope with it. I feel as the race gets closer then I should be doing something. I usually do a half the week before and then a couple of easy 10k on the week leading up to the event. It's not textbook tapering but I feel comfortable with it and I guess that's what really matters.

• Options

RD - Thanks for the tips, think that's a good plan. I hadn't really planned to break 90 until the new year but if it comes then brilliant.

Look forward to March then - hopefully I'll be able to cope with doing less.

Good luck with your races.

• Options

Brimps personally I would do one or the other... I'm doing 10 mile this weekend. I've done a 10K race a week before a marathon before but just ran it easy, helped that it was a baking hot day! I don't think it affected the marathon but I'd just be wary of injury so close to Mallorca.

Kamoshika Berlin should easily see you through, hope the weather is a bit kinder at Kielder!

Just running I always look forward to tapering as the last full week of training is always the highest mileage, with the longest LSR, and it's nice to think that the mileage can be cut down. But then during a taper I just want to run as much and and hard as normally. Next week (the week of the marathon) I'll struggle the most with just doing a few 3 or 4 milers, and a few rest days. What do people do with their spare time? imageimage

• Options

Carrot-thanks for that-race it is! As for tapering spare time-placing DVDS in alphabetical order, clearing out the odd sock drawer,defragging the computer-the list of excitement is endless!!

Kamoshika-will use grizzly as a good training LSR as, though not in London, there will be some spring marathon to do-(anyone done Seville?)-won't do specific training for it.Heard the mud is great for the complexion so what better reason to run!! Curious-what and where is Kielder?

Just had an e-mail through on mallorca-they put on mopeds for your OH to follow you around! So if not close to my 3.30 target I know what to do image

• Options
    Hi brimps. Kielder is a new marathon around kielder water reservoir in Northumberland. They built a new leisure path right around it and someone noticed it's 26 miles long. Steve Cram's involved with organizing it I think.
  • Options
    brimps wrote (see)

As for tapering spare time-placing DVDS in alphabetical order, clearing out the odd sock drawer,defragging the computer-the list of excitement is endless!!

You should be on the Mundane thread Brimps!

I went to a  group run this morning organised by the Chester Mara people, a really good run, we messed about with photos for a bit but soon settled into a good pace over 9 miles, some on a river bank trail.  Pace was a little faster than I'd have liked, but good discipline, and the chance to trot alongside some very good and committed runners, did my motivation no end of good.  The race isn't tillOctober next year, but I like running with a group, so much more enjoyable than trudging round on your own.

• Options

Re tapering, I went absolutely batty in the run up to Brighton this year. kept veering between hypochondria, frustration and hyperactivity. It was nice not to be ravenously hungry all the time though.

Half marathon for me yesterday. 1.41, which is better than expected but not where I'd like to be at this point though. I'm confident though that with proper training and I can repeat last year's autumn to spring improvement I can crack sub 3.30. 

Sounds like a good group run there Mr Puffy. I'm curious, is everyone else part of a club/informal group or are you all unattache?. I keep meaning to check out my local clubs although I think new work hours might put an end to evening running during the week. 

• Options

I'm not currently in a club Wobbled but I'm planning on starting up again with my old club once Amsterdam is all over... Used to do a track session every Thursday and more of a tempo run on Tuesdays, I used to go to the track sessions. I've been unattached for around three years now, main reason I stopped going is I wasn't quite so much into running as I am now and would end up going to circuits or boxercise classes on Thursdays instead! Bad excuses I know image I've just never been back, often see loads of the club runners at races and they're always still really friendly. Do you know what you new work hours will be compared to the times your local clubs train? Many do weekend runs too, it's worth looking into (even if just to save £2 off each race)

• Options
    I agree Carrot. I joined a club just to save the £2 off each race and found a whole new world out there. I haven't been on a club run yet but they use the funds raised at the annual 10k to pay for members to enter certain races. I pay £12 for the year, get £2 off every race and get entry in to at least 12 other races that are funded by the club.

It's a no-brainer as they say
  • Options

Technically I'm on flexi-time so should be able to make club runs, but based on the first few weeks I can see it's not going to be possible to predict my flexibility. I'm hoping it calms down later on in the year and then I should have a better idea if it's possible. I am near the Serpies who do weekend sessions but that club is just too huge. I'm quite keen to try cross country this winter so maybe that will give me the final push.

edited to say, I've just read this back and embarrassed at how whingey I am. "boo ho, my flexi-time isn't flexible enough." Think I need to stop making excuses. image

• Options

I am in a club, I joined because it hosts an informal running group that meets twice a week.  We do a rotation of 5 routes, reversing the direction each time so there's plenty of variety.  In winter it's a bit more focussed, with a speed session and a hill session in the 5 runs.

I do like the social side of it, It's nice to meet up at races and cheer on your friends.

• Options

i think I'd benefit by joing a club but their training nights clash with hockey training. Having someone to run thouse LSR's when it's freezing cold would be a def plus! Although at £30 a year I'd have to do a fair amount of racing to get my money back!

Wobbled - good to beat your expectations at your recent half. Did you enjoy it?

10 easy miles on Sunday and a rather painful sports massage last night. 5 easy tonight and then 5 mile tempo run tomorrow at HM pace in prep for Salisbury HM on Sunday.

• Options

Wobbled-Joined a club 18 months ago as a novice runner and been great network for finding running partners. Great source info on races-the do's and don't!! There seems to be a great diversity in running clubs. Mine is small and doesn't do any  structured training or track work. Also great value at £12 a year!

5 days left of tapering-run out of 'jobs that never get done' jobs to do. image

• Options

All done now 'til Sunday.

5 miles @ 8:15 last night and 2m WU, 2m @ 6:30 and 2m WD. A bit faster than planned but hopefully I'll be able to settle in @ 6:55 on Sunday and see what happens.

Best of luck for Sunday Brimps and anyone else who is racing.

• Options

Wobbled - not at all, I work flexitime too and most of the time I think it's just a scheming ploy by bosses to get you to work extra on a regular basis without having to pay you overtime! But I do manage to wangle a longer lunchbreak once a week for a midday run so I don't complain too loudly image

Taper madness is well and truly setting in, night off for me tonight and I'm worried that a) I'm going to have gained a load of not-very-useful extra weight and b) my knee is hurting. The only time my knee ever hurts is during the final week of a marathon taper, so I'm thinking it's purely psychological.

I've not yet had the usual marathon dream where I either miss the start by a few hours or get lost halfway round, get stuck amongst a load of shoppers, eventually find my way back to the course only to find that they've all packed up and gone home. Maybe tonight?

Racing this weekend is Brimps with Mallorca Marathon, kamoshika at Kielder Marathon, Just Running at Salisbury Half, and little old me at Amsterdam Marathon! Anyone else?