Sub 3.30 2011

Comments

• Good luck everyone else who's got races coming up this weekend. For me it's not eally been a taper, as I haven't actually put my running shoes on since Berlin image We moved house a few weeks ago, so have been getting stuck into all the jobs that need doing. I'm sure carting loft boards around counts as training!
  • I'll be doing the Rotherham 50, sandwiched between the Swindon half last Sunday and the Stroud Half on 24th October.  Looking for miles in the legs before I start to try and get any faster.............
  • well, how did everyone get on??

Salisbury was tough with a couple of testing hills, done in great weather and with some cracking scenary!

Manged a 45 secs PB and came in just under 1 hr 32 mins - haven't checked the official times but watch recorded 1:31:38. Had a bit of a mare with a last minute loo break and started right at the back of the field. Did too much weaving with the garmin recording 13.4 miles!

Had a great massage after for a fiver so hopefully legs will be ok tomorrow.

Off to St Lucia tomorrow so will be back to square 1 on my return.

Hopefully someone managed a sub 3:30!?!

• JR-great run and good time off pb

Had great time in mallorca-beautiful course along sea front and lots entertainment on the way around.

Knocked 11 mins off my pb but not quite at my goal-also unplanned loo break added over minute to time but great experience. Did 3 hr 47 27 so think I better move threads!!

• Brimps, an 11 mins pb is a def result so well done! If you contiune to improve in that manner you'll be sub 3:30 in no time.

GF - nice time, result!

Carrot - how did Amsterdam go or are you stuck in a cafe!?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Checking back in.....

There's some amazing running going on here!  Gymfreak - which marathon did you do?  Is that a pb?  Brilliant time!  and the 1.31 half  from  Just Running; pretty awesome stuff.  Brimps, you have nothing to worry about! Well done.

Oldforspeed - I had a mate doing the 50 too.  Haven't seen her yet but these things are like a walk in the park to her!  She's doing a marathon with me in November and I've promised her I'll do a 50 with her next year.  You must have thousands of miles in your legs with all these ultras!

My training has been haphazard of late.  I was running 40 - 50 miles per week throughout August then a holiday and illness/post holiday blues seemed to knock me off course.  I'm doing Newcastle marathon in a few weeks time and have managed a 16, 18.5, 19.5 over the last three weekends .  I'm planning 20 this weekend followed by a half the following then it'll be taper time.  It won't be a pb  but hopefully I'll get around.  Following this I'm going to take it really easy throughout December and be ready to step into action on 1st January for a 16 week schedule (will have to check that is 16 weeks....).

I'm feeling up for it and determined to get sub 3.30 in April!   Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Well done Brimps on the new PB, and really well done gymfreak on going sub 3:30. Are you going to be moving on to the sub 3:15 thread for London now?!

I ran the inaugural Kielder marathon and got a new personal worst by 21 minutes image - 4:49. Sub 3:30 feels like a very long way away at the moment. I'm consoling myself with the fact that running two marathons three weeks apart was never going to be easy; I probably shouldn't have run at all because I had a streaming cold on friday and saturday; and Kielder was possibly the toughest place they could find to hold a marathon. OK, I might be exaggerating on the last one, but it was very tough. I was talking to one person on the way round who'd run 11 and not seen anything like it. It was flat across the top of the dam, but apart from that it was pretty much constantly up and down. I can recommend it if you want a challenge!

• Hi and congrats all round.  Rotherham 50 was briliant fun and although hardly fast I did manage a couple of minutes better than last year.  Had a massage yesterday and hopeful of a reasonable run in Stroud half next Sunday - anything sub 1.45 would be good for me given the 50, but I'm not pinning my hopes on it.  Cornish marathon in November, which is a brutal one and no chance of anything other than a PW
  • I'm home and I scored a PB image (Now home and far away from coffeeshops!)

3:28:01 - over 10 minutes off my VLM time! I'm absolutely over the moon, the hard work has paid off!

Congratulations to Just Running - are you sure a goal of 3:30 isn't selling yourself short? Possibly 3:20?

Brimps, an 11 minute PB is fantastic - you can't leave! My first attempt at sub 3:30 didn't go quite as planned, it's worth more when it's your second attempt.

Go Gymfreak, what's your next goal?

Kamoshika it's always going to be tough only three weeks after Berlin. And there are hills to contend with! What was Kielder like? Worth doing?

I'm now having an easy week, think my next race will be Thirsk 10 mile at the end of November.

• image What was that time again?

Brilliant, I know what you mean about not getting it first time, it took a couple of years to get under 3:45 for me, and boy I enjoyed the feeling when I did. image

• Great running going on here. Well done everyone especially you Brimps and Gymfreak and Carrot.

I ran the turbo X on Sunday which was a hellish 10 mile X-Country run through bogs and some of the most ridiculous hills. It wasn't helped when a marshall sent about 40 runners the wrong way and we didn't realise until someone mentioned the signs were all pointing in the direction we were coming from!

I think we managed nearer to 11 miles but it's all miles in the bank I suppose.

Just entered Berlin again next year. I loved the city last time round and can't wait to get back there for it
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OMG Carrot that is fantastic!  Well done!  It'll push us all on!
  • Congratualtions Carrot - that's fantastic! image what's the new target going to be?!

Kielder was fantastic - they're not kidding when they claim it's Britain's most beautiful marathon, but it's a really tough course. I'd certainly recommend it, but know what you're letting yourself in for. Almost everyone I spoke to had been surprised by just how hilly it was.

• My boyfriend is considering it for next year kamoshika, I'm planning on New York and don't really think I'l be able to do both well in the space of two weeks, especially as Kielder would come first!

Next target for me is naturally going to be sub-3:20, but first want to get my half marathon time down to under 1:35. Most likely race would be Brass Monkey in January if I can get a place, it always fill up as soon as entries open and this time is going online entries only! So I may search for another flat half around January / February.

Still buzzing! imageimageimage image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Love it Carrot!  Keep up the enthusiasm - its rubbing off on me! I've had a little look at NY for next year too....
  • Carrot and gym freak-brilliant pbs and gives me bit hope I may get there by putting in the time over the next couple years.

Does anyone ever take a break after marathons? Haven't run since sunday and itching to but books say take it easy for a week-is that a myth?! Still hoping to get place london 2011 but consolation is GFA 2012 if goal posts don't move!image

• Brimps I've barely run this week, Monday and Tuesday were rest days, ran a slooow 5 miler Wednesday, rest Thursday, another 5 miler Friday, rest yesterday and been out for a 10 miler today. Just took it easy as I would on any long run really. I don't really plan ahead what I'm going to do in the week after a marathon but go by how I feel... When I'd crossed the finish line in Amsterdam last Sunday I thought I might need a full week off but my legs seem ok, just don't want to push it too much! It's nice to have no real pressure to have to get and and run whatever session because it's only X weeks to go til the marathon!

Hope you're recovering well, have you another lined up for the spring?

• Flat half in February?  Wrexham!
  • carrot-feeling my age this week! done 8 miles in total and slow!not sure on next goal.seville is one option-anyone done that marathon? Local north dorset village marathon is another but not pb material! I may work on speed over shorter distances up to xmas as think will help on pb marathon goal. And got to stop all this carb loadingimage
  • Hi everyone....some fantastic running going on here - well done to Gymfreak and carrot for smashing the 3.30 barrier - great work!!imageimage

brimps - nice PB tooimageI think speed work will definitely help you - I did a lot more of that for my last mara and it brought my time down a lot.

kamoshika - Kielder sounds a really tough one! I had a place but was injured earlier in the summer so decided not to go for it. Glad I made that decision having seen your comments!

I've been up in Northumberland for a couple of weeks holiday (hence the Kielder place!). Got some really nice runs in while I was there - very hilly (which I am not used to coming from East Anglia!), but felt pretty strong. Yesterday back home I did 13.5 in average 8.20, and it felt very easy being back on flat groundimage

• Afternoon all.  Had a reasonable run in the Stroud half marathon yesterday but definitely need to work on speed.  Was fine on the 50 mile run the previous week so have the endurance, but to have any chance of breaking 3.30 I need speed [and a miracle].  Came in at 1.44.30 yesterday, which I suppose isn't bad after an ultra the week before, but have abandoned my plan to do the Cornish marathon in 4 weeks and am going to try and get in some solid training up to Christmas and see how I get on in some January  races.   Any good ideas for speed work without doing intervals?? 
  • What's the problem with intervals old4speed?
  • Well done Carrot and Gym Freak. Excellent resultsimage I feel you've laid the gauntlet down for the rest of us.

Brimps, I've only done one but I ended up taking off about five/six days afterwards without feeling too guilty about it. I'm hoping next time around, with more miles in my legs, I can reduce this but I really felt it was necessary and I'm a big one for going by feel. 

Old4Speed I think that's pretty good going the week after an ultra. In terms of speed work, how about some longer tempo sessions? 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

old4speed -  I'm looking at the P&D schedule for London and it doesn't seem to have as many dreaded speed sessions as some other schedules.  But more miles. 

• RD - I know from bitter experience that I never stick to intervals unless I am in a large group and sadly my current work schedule and increasing age of many of my running partners [who are more concerned with manipulating their zimmers than with interval work] make this increasingly difficult to organise.  It is a simple lack of moral fibre - but when you get to bus pass age you have to know your limitations [and isn't it good news that the free bus is not to be axed image]

I think you are probably right Wobbled - a tempo run for me means getting one of my younger friends to run at their normal speed while I provide the background soundtrack of heavy breathing / sobbing

Minni - P&D??

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've bought the book o4s and it makes interesting reading about the science behind marathon training.  Here is a link to the schedules which I found online, which is the 55 - 70 miles per week.  I will be following the 'up to 55 miles per week',

which realistically is the most I could manage.  P&D 55 - 70 mpw.

I would recommend the book,  Advanced Marathonin, which I got from Amazon for about £8.

• Thanks Minni - just back from hospital appointment and am going to have my hand in plaster for a couple of weeks mid November, so will read this while I watch OH cooking and cleaning image.  Surgeon has said he won't take the skin graft from my leg so I can keep on running - provided I give him a few tips!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ha, love it!  Maybe the forced rest will be good. 
  • minni-followed the p and d schedule up to 55 miles for last marathon and can also add weight to advanced marathon book being a must for those looking for improving times. Did skim read the up to 130pw schedule!!!! will definitely use the same schedule for next big push to 3.30 goal.