No motivation!

I am actually posting this to delay going for a run - how bad is that?!

I did the Kildare half marathon last Sunday. It was amazing, I was super happy with my time (1:53.58...I've only been running for about 3 or 4 months and it was my first race). I had an enforced week off afterwards because in the week leading up to it I started to get really stiff and I needed to give myself a break.

The thing is, I'm due to run today but I can't be bothered! This is so unlike me. I know I got a little tired of running in the weeks leading up to the race, because I was having to stick to running on certain days and doing a set amount of miles, and I put a lot of pressure on myself to run it in good time. I thought after it I would get my passion for running back but I just want to sit on the couch and watch TV instead.

I was actually supposed to run yesterday but I went shopping instead.

I know the answer is to just get out there and do it. I've probably got into the habit of not running during my break and now I'm sort of liking being lazy. But I still don't feel like I have the desire to run in the same way that I did when I got into it.

Anyone else felt like this? How did you rekindle your motivation? It's not so much that I'm worried about not running - I'm very disciplined and I will drag myself out if I have to. It's just that I don't want to have to 'drag' myself. I want to bound out of the door with a smile on my face like I was doing a few months ago.

A new route would probably help, but I can't be bothered finding one! I don't live near any countryside so all the routes I run are along roads.

It probably isn't helping that I'm getting to bed after midnight most nights despite having 6am starts ever day. I'm so tired after work.

Okay, I'll stop grumbling now and just run.

Comments

• I know exactly how you feel starsnspikes. I did my first marathon last year and it took ages to get back into running afterwards. Then entered the Chris Hoy half marathon this year and got in training for that, although felt I didn't do enough. Got an OK time. Since then running has been a hit or miss. Some weeks it's easy, other weeks I struggle to motivate myself to get out the door. It's easier when I have planned to run with someone. I have a couple of friends I run with, and my OH, although he's a lot fatser than me. At the moment, if I've to go on my own, I manage to talk myself out of it. Tiredness can be an issue as well. I think if you give yourself time to think about it, then you wan't do it. That's what I'm going to try and do from now on.
  • The countryside would help - could you drive out to it and just go? Or how about joing a club, or just go and do a session with a club so you have company?

Can you run on a lunchtime for a change? 

What about entering a 10k? Or a different race?

The sooner you do get out though the easier it will be longer term, so maybe if you get home from work, don't think about it don't delay it, stick your trainers on and go out. Don't take a watch just see where you end up?