Options

Carver Wolverhampton City Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic day, fantastic company.
    I'm tired.
  • Options

Thanks Ian, I am suspecting that by the time I came in .. they were all prepped for the marathoners ... sigh.

But ... hey ... I wasn't last and I did finish .. so I'm smiling image

• Options

Well done everyone.  Good photos Brian, looks like what you shouted at me on the first lap was actually correct, although I didn't believe it at the time.

How hilly  were the last few miles?

• Options

Congratulations on winning the Full Marathon Matt, looks like your back to form.

I've got some better photo's of you at the first lap, I was been distracted by a runner when you came through at the 24 mile plus mark.

New Vest as well !!!

• Options

well done Matt

hell, he started at the back - i saw him wizz by

could'nt  have happened to a nicer guy

• Options

well - that was an experience! Im a wolves girl -but cant say it was the most picturesque route ive ever seen ( how wonderful were the aldersly sewage works? what a lovely aroma!)

saw you two guys Mick n phill - you whizzd past us just after the start - but was chuffed to see you, have followed your posts for ages. Thanks for the inspiration.

Also, BB you were very colourful - but did anyone else see the guy running in his very tight, bright calvins (with nothing more than them and a tan and a smile!) me and my 2 mates tried soo hard to keep up, but even that couldnt make us go faster.

My son ran his first half yesterday (had foot injury for 5wks which upset his training), but really wanted to give it a go.  If your on here Mr Luton Policeman (dressed as a  convict) - he says massive thanks for your encouragement and advice - he says he wouldnt have done it without you!

We runners are a friendly lot.

I didnt do a good time - but ran it all.... always my target.

but where did those hills come from?

• Options
    nice to see you all yesterday image
  • Options

Congratulations Matt ... I had the priviledge of seeing you whizz past me at about 24 miles (well, 11 for me, LOL!)

Thanks for letting me know about the medal, I e:mailed Carvers and had a very nice response promptly this morning, and they're popping one in the post for me image

The sewage works stank didn't they ... bleurgh! 

Right, time to get myself focussed for my next endeavour, I have a PB now to beat after all, LOL ... 8 weeks and counting .. image

• Options
    Well done everyone!! Thats number 18 done for me - finished in 4.02.

The marshals did a fantastic job in the rain as did Both Brian Smith and Bryan Dale! Thank you for staying out there taking pics of us!! Thanks also to the Gang of Wrekin Road Runners who cheered us all on from the Newbridge - made a difference at 25 miles!!

Great to catch up with you Woody!! Hope you got back safely!
  • Options

Well I failed miserably I was hoping for a sub 3:15 but ended with 3:36:30, Within the first mile I got what I can only describe as  pins and needles in the ball of both feet. I tried running through it but it wasn't having any, in fact it just got worse and I stared to get pains under my feet, in my shins, and calves. Managed the half in 1:37 but from then on the pain just got worse, by 17 mile I was in agony, took a couple Ibuprofen and struggled on, it was pitiful and loads of people passed me. I don't know if it was the drugs or the adrenalin but managed to pick it up for the last 2 miles, I  felt strong but still hurting but spurred on by the thought that the finish line is only a few minutes away. I was gutted to think if I feel this strong at the end what could I have done if I hadn't had the problem.

Not sure what caused it, never experienced anything like it before, just goes to show no mater how many marathons you do, 26.2 miles always has something up it's sleeve to scupper your plans, respect the distance!!! oh hum. 

Always a pleasure to meet and chat with Mick n Phil before the start, BB at the start, ECN on the run and Was great to meet and chat with HTA and his friendly crew at the pub who managed to talk me into entering the Tough Guy in January (not that I needed much persuasion) image Oh and Madlot sorry for mythering you as you passed the pub image

• Options
    Didn't have a good one I was on for a sub 3 but the hamstring went at 17/18 miles so ended up walking most of the last few miles! I would of pulled out but I'm trying to become a complete run in the North Staffordshire Road Runner Association so I hobbled to the finish.
  • Options
    Sorry woody, I don't know what you're on about. What happened? image
  • Options
    Sorry Madlot I'm getting forum names mixed up it was Miserable bleeder I mithered as he passed the Pub. image
  • Options

Well done everyone!! We did it thats the main thing.

I was well plesed with my first ever HM

I had 3 goals...run non stop...beat my mates time (last yr she did it in 2.35) and personal (but optimistic) target of 2.20

Well they say two out of three aint bad i did it in 2.24, so well pleased with first effort. 11mins off my mates time.

AND i got a hug off Mick (mick n phil) on the finish line. wicked!! Thanks Mick!!! Sorry you didnt get to do your full but you are an inspiration to many of us regardless of how many miles you clock up

Thanks for photo links..ill have a look now

• Options

thankyou

you all take care ahh

i just have had a few bad weeks, i'll bounce back image

• Options
    Great meeting you again Mick and Phil.
  • Options
    it was so real good to see u again trust me
  • Options

yaeh both of and Woody. who knows may be next year? image not fancy shakespear marathon woody?

• Options
    that is if Phil of Mick 'n' Phil fame will allow me to come that far south without my passport! image
  • Options
    Alialy wrote (see)

( how wonderful were the aldersly sewage works? what a lovely aroma!)

Zed42 wrote (see)

The sewage works stank didn't they ... bleurgh! 

The organisers might have done it on purpose,  thinking you might be flagging a bit at that point and need a bit of a push!  It worked with me cos I did my best to up the pace and get passed it!

E.C.N. wrote (see)

not fancy shakespear marathon woody?

Just had a quick look at it, I'm tempted.

• Options
    I did Stratford this year as my first marathon, I thought it was excellent!
  • Options
    And they have a tea tent at the end image
  • Options

Brian,

Good pictures mate!!! got a couple of me on there already!! great!! I am still in the clouds at the mo due to a massive PB which had stood for 7 years!! 2.56.15 get in!!!

well done everyone and great all in all and very well organised i thought!! brilliant! ill be back from Devon again for sure!! image

• Options

Hi,

Great pictures, it was a really well organised just surprised my the lack of interest in runners doing the full marathon especially other women. At one point in the last half i could just see men no other girls

Appreciate the great support from all the st.johns ambulance team and the army staff sat in the rain along the course, made it round in 5.09 and my legs are recovering today......image

Will definitely run again!

• Options
    woody2run www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)
    Sorry Madlot I'm getting forum names mixed up it was Miserable bleeder I mithered as he passed the Pub. image
    I think at that point I was past caring image

• Options
    yeah..... where were you all, i went passed the Newbridge without any abuse this year.... very dissapointed i was! image
  • Options

LOL, cos I was so slow .. I got support at the Newbridge, it's just that at the time I was so unchuffed with my life .. I didn't appreciate it .. until about 1mile after ... so "thank you" image

What this event has taught me as opposed to the "fun runs" I've done in the past, there's an amazing amount of comaraderie (sorry for my awful spelling!) at these events, and this, has encouraged me, to do more .,,

• Options
    E.C.N. wrote (see)
    yeah..... where were you all, i went passed the Newbridge without any abuse this year.... very dissapointed i was! image
    You must have been to fast image

Zed42 your hooked aren't you image
  • Options

I thought this was a really good race. I enjoyed the HM last year, so it felt right to do the full this year. Ok, it's not a very exciting route, but the marshals were great & the natives friendly. A few kids giving you high fives really cheers you up! image

Soul destroying having to do the second lap, when everyone around me was finishing the half. Never felt that at Blackpool or Fleetwood marathons, but this time I found it mentally hard to do the second lap, when there was no-one else around for most of it. image

I was so thrilled at running the whole of Fleetwood marathon last Sunday, that entering this seemed like a good idea at the time.....Two marathons within 8 days.....no problem....I only bimble round after all.....It still seemed like a good idea the day before, doing the Blackpool Illuminations 10k, as I felt great.....And it still felt like a good idea until I got to mile 18 of this one, as I was 20 mins ahead of my PB & feeling great.......Then I got the most horrid stomach cramps that I'd never had before, & was mortified I had to walk some. All I wanted was to run it all like Fleetwood, but I actually had to stop 4 times, when I'd never paused in a race before. I felt bloody awful. Really sick too.  Saw Woody & chums clapping outside a pub near the end, & I thought, "right Bimbler, start running properly, Woody's watching", but by then I was losing the will to live, so I could only manage a stagger.......image

Woody, oh you poor dear. Isn't it infuriating when some bizarre injury or ailment just gets you for no reason at all........I know just how you felt.

Zed, yup that was me in the silly trousers. (Have you any idea how many people shouted "love the pyjamas".......or "didn't you have time to get dressed?" image)

Hi Alialy & Orangeshoes.

Miserable Bleeder, good to chat to you on the way round. Funny when you got lost! [chuckle]

Hi Micknphil & Bryan Dale.

Hi Hot Tub, think I saw you clapping at the pub.

Hope you all had a good one! image