Fat question

2»

Comments

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I've had my body fat done by UW weighing - it might be fun for the measurer but not so fun for the participant........and the bloody water was cold as well!

and I still didn't like the result..... image
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

The skin fold test is a lot more accurate then the electronic methods. But you do need to find someone who knows how to do it properly.

I agree that you can be slim and still have a high-ish body fat level. But 30% does seem to be a bit excessive.

• Just had a quick google, and according to a lot of sites 30% is within the healthy range for women.

Back to your original post, the fact that this woman told you to eat more protein without actually asking you what you ate should have been a huge red flag.

I like the idea of under-water fat measurement.

• Helen - I would seriously love to do your PhD - but kids/mortgage and hubbie to support means that I need to keep coming to work.... such is life.
  • I would love to have a body % close to 30...............but then i love stuffing my face more apparently...........so will just stick with what I haveimage
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    k8greene wrote (see)

The skin fold test is a lot more accurate then the electronic methods. But you do need to find someone who knows how to do it properly.

I agree that you can be slim and still have a high-ish body fat level. But 30% does seem to be a bit excessive.

Agree that whoever does the skin fold thickness measurements should be trained. Those calipers hurt!
  • step away from the scales. they are misrepresentative! and will just make you stress unnecessarily, or worse, make you obsessss. look at what you're eating but ultimately if you're exercising and eating well then you are fine.

now, if anyone could answer 'does too much protein make you fat' that would be helpful image someone mentioned it recently and now i'm paranoid as i eat a lot of it! also, i want to slim my inner thighs - will cardio (ie jogging) do that alone?

Thanks!xx

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Too much of anything can lead to weight gain! As long as you are in neutral energy balance, your weight should remain relatively stable (bearing in mind changes in fluid, increase in muscle mass through resistance training, etc.)

If you carry excess weight on your inner thighs, there's nothing you can do to target weight specifically from those areas. Spot reduction isn't possible without cosmetic surgery. Toning exercises can improve the shape of your thighs, but you won't necessarily achieve weight-loss from them. image

• Gym Addict - I work 30 hours a week in a senior NHS clinical role as well as doing a PhDimage

That smiley doesn't really convey it - but there is no smiley in a funny coat with long arms....

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Nam wrote (see)
    Seriously about the fry up... eating more protein did not mean have more fry ups.  She probably meant lean proteins like chicken breast, turkey, fish...

..or lots of Herbalife shakes, perhaps. image