Nasty note on car

Returned from a carboot sale today to find a letter under my windscreen wiper thanking me for damaging someone's car and saying they had taken my reg and would report it to the police.

Am really confused as I was parked legally and with room in front and behind me, had no damage whatsoever to my car and certainly had not scraped or bumped anyone elses car. Have reported it to the police but they said wait for a letter through the post, am really worried now about what's going to happen.

Comments

• If your car has no damage and there are no witnesses to the contrary then I really wouldnt worry
  • What M...eldy says!!  image
  • This will be a scam, no doubt in a few days you will get a letter through your door offering to settle with you for a cash sum. Sadly its to easy to get personal details from a car registration

If this happens go to your local police station and report it

• Take pictures of your car to prove that you have no damage whatsoever.
    If you have a legal phoneline on your motor insurance, get them a ring for advice.
    If its reported to the police, the cops will do nothing as its a insurance matter.
    Don't think anything will come. But best to protect yourself just in case.
  • Wait for the letter to come, get the persons address then go round there and kill all their pets.

'Including' the goldfish!!!

Everyone always leaves the goldfish!!

• Leave their pets alone

Kill their children

• If they honestly thought they could prove you had damaged their car they would call the police immediately and not take a note of your reg to "do it later" wouldn't they?

And how would they know it was you unless they saw you - in which case they'd confront you?

Pile of b*llox if you ask me.

So what Unlikely what KK what Meldy said....image

• Leave the innocent pets and children alone. Kill the actual people!!
  • LB, there are some evil people out there who will take advantage of anything.
  • Don't take any chances. Kill everything in a three mile radius!

Seriously as others have said, don't worry.

But also if you do receive a letter don't reply to it, even to explain that it wasn't your fault as its probably a scam and this will only encourage them.

• thanks, am trying not to get too stressed out about this.  Have already reported it all to the police and have an incident number just need to wait now and see what happens.  Have taken photos of my car as well, just worried that they'll magic a dodgy witness out of nowhere.  God all i ask for is a stress free life and a flat stomach, both seem to evade me.
  • They evade me tooimage

• AndrewSmith wrote (see)

That's because after 3 seconds the goldfish has forgotten what it saw image
  • Think you've done the right thing missfliss - pretty sure that even if it's a scam they'll give up when they see you've reported it to the police - they'll be looking for easy money and move on to someone that scares more easily.   Good luck.
  • Missfliss - the note could even have been put under someone else's wiper and they might have moved it to yours.  This happened to a friend of mine and the note was a racist taunt. image
  • Of course you could pass the letter (if it arrives) on to the police.  They might be interested in talking to someone running this scam.
  • They can not make any claims later for the simple reason, it is against the law to flee the scene of an accident.

If they were involved in an accident which resulted in damage to property or individuals they have broken the law by not exchanging details with the third party at the scene or reporting it to authoritys.

• They are claiming to have seen the OP nudge another car - I don't think they are claiming it was their car that was damaged or that they were involved in the incident.  

Plus they are saying they are going to report it to the authorities - the police. 

• AndrewSmith wrote (see)

Wait for the letter to come, get the persons address then go round there and kill all their pets.

'Including' the goldfish!!!Everyone always leaves the goldfish!!
    Stump wrote (see)

Leave their pets alone

Kill their children

Made me laugh, thank you image

Sounds like a scam

• Gazmanmeister wrote (see)
    AndrewSmith wrote (see)
    That's because after 3 seconds the goldfish has forgotten what it saw image
    Ha!!!!!!!!
  • guess it is a scam