Options

Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options

Hey all,

I ran the Edinburgh Marathon this year and am still nursing the sun burn. I am also considering entering next year as well to see if I can better my time image. Also thinking of staying in Edinurgh a bit longer this time as headed straight back to Glasgow last time post race. Good luck early doors to all hoping for specific times or just to finish. image

Duffs

• Options
    bought a womens running magazine and it gives the date for next year as 22 may 2011
  • Options
    22nd may.......well I had vest start enjoying the rest of the year before training starts image
  • Options
    22nd May - entries opening on 2nd August. Anyone out there as crazy as me???image
  • Options
    Will probably do it again, along with a couple of other spring marathons.Would be good if they started the marathon at 8am next year instead of 10.
  • Options
    so agree should be 8am start - can then start the festivities earlier
  • Options
    Im in! I'm imaging I'm going to hate the training just as much as last time although the race definitely made it worth the while. 8am would be great, just to miss the hottest part of the day. I too got very sunburnt this year and found that it was worse than any injury I picked up.
    Between now and then I've started a different kind of running, fell/trail running it's great and the views are amazing, I'm very new to it although hooked. Just hoping when I go back to road running for the marathon I do not get too disheartened.
  • Options

That's it - I'm in again. 41 weeks 6 days to go....image

• Options
    Registered for 2011 today.

Looks like it'll be my 1st marathon after getting into the running this year so naturally excited and looking forward to it. Will be happy with a sub 4:30 at the moment (well that's my predicted time), but tbh I'll be chuffed to finish without stopping, especially given the possibility of another scorcher.

Reading some of the comments about the course makes me wonder why the organisers can't incorporate some of the beautiful BUPA Edinburgh 10K course into the marathon route for 2011.

Anyway, 291 days to go......

• Options
    Haven't entered yet, still thinking about it, will probably wait and see what happens with the London ballot.
  • Options

I'm in.  Had entered this year's, but had to withdraw a month before the race.

I'll trust kennyy's arithmetic ... 290 days to go...

• Options

Hi all, Just looking for a bit of advice: I forgot to pre-register for the Edinburgh Marathon, & see that registration for the general public doesn't open until 1 September. I was just wondering if I were to register in early September, would I more or less be assured of getting a place? or is this a lottery? and if so, does it even matter how early one registers? I'm eager to do it, & just want to get a feel for what the possibility is of getting a place...cheers
  • Options
    It hasn't sold out the last couple of years until mid-december, you'll have no problem getting in and it isn't a lottery. A lot of people wait to see if they're in London before entering.
  • Options

adog woof - as far as I can remember in September it is entries rather than registration and the entries were open for a while after September - from speaking to people on the start line last year a lot entered in October/November after getting the results from the London ballot so you should get a place no problem if you enter in September.

Good luck

41 weeks 4 days to go image

• Options

Whitehead Runner & Duffs, cheers for that...looks like it'll be Edinburgh here I come then...
  • Options

Glad to hear it adog woof. I am in for Edinburgh 2011 and am now looking for some half marathons to do in the run up to it - so far got the Edinburgh half in April . . . (although I did that last year and it was freeeeezing and raining) so not good prep for the actual marathon day.

Duffs.

• Options
    I'm doing the Palma marathon in october and considering Edinburgh the last two years that might be good prep!!
  • Options

Doing the Dublin Marathon at the end of October...
  • Options
    Hi peeps
    Just found this thread, I got my pre-registration email but have yet to enter, waiting until pay day next week.  Was going to wait until London result but have decided to do Edinburgh instead, or maybe do both, still can't decide even after my question to the RW forum.

Kirrie Plodder was up you neck of the woods yesterday for a training run from Forfar to Drumgley to Padanaram then back to Forfar.   Are you planning the Forfar 10k next week?

C
  • Options
    I've completed this marathon a few times now, and it's a fantastic one to start with. The big problem this year was the transport back to Edinburgh. You had to walk about 3 miles to get the bus. Just what you want after doing a 26.2 mile run, eh?image
  • Options

I didn't really mind the walk to the buses as it was a bit of a cool down and kept my legs moving (when it was so tempting just to lie down and never move again). image

On the up side by the time I got to the bus I'd gotten a text with my time on which cheered me up considering the weather etc. . . .

40 weeks to go and to celebrate I made it to the gym today; just need to keep it upimage

• Options
    The other thing to note about the marathon is the section through the Earl of Wemyss stately home. The first years I ran this the road surface was terrible, it was like running through sand. It's improved in recent years, but the new runner needs to be prepared for the change in road surface at about 18miles in. Also, the apprach to and from this section of the run is fairly enclosed, so it its a warm day (which it normally is) then be prepared to overheat!
  • Options

I agree ironmanby40 - that part of the course also depressing lack of scenery or spectators so a lot of temptation to walk at that point - or if you're keen push on super fast and get it over with??

Looking forward to it alreadyimage

• Options

Hi All,

Myself and my husband have just signed up.  I completed the GNR last year so have got a bit of experience but my husband is a complete novice so lots of training to do over the next 8 months! 

Sugarpuff image

• Options
    I signed up too... Looking forward to it....
  • Options

Signed for the full and now also signed for the Edinburgh Half Marathon in April next year as well. Great Scottish Run 10k on Sunday now used to kick my @ss into gear and get training as it took me far to long....sadly it looks as though all the good telly programs are getting ready to start again though. Telly or gym, telly or gym, telly or gym.......image

• Options

Hurray, was hoping someone had a thread for next years marathon, was lurking on the 2010.

This'll be my first marathon and feeling quite apprehensive now, just did the GNR on sunday and the atmosphere was unreal. Anyone know what its like at Edinburgh?

• Options

Most bits of Edinburgh are good but there is a bit through a stately home (about 2/3rds of the way round) which is a bit bleak and scarce but it soons perks up again when you escape that bit - towards the finish. Also the last few years have been crazy sunny and warm so that brings out the spectators (who usually kindly bring jelly babies and deep heat a plenty).

Well done on the GNR and all the best for your training/running Edinburgh 2011 image