Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• Hi all,have signed up for this too,Edinburgh,what a city,am sure its going to be a great w-end no matter what the weather.Did London this year and Dublin last october so will be nice to do Edinburgh.Bring it on.

Dave.

• BrackenBracken ✭✭✭

Just about to enter (I think!!!) - Quick question about car parking at finish. 

Family plan to drive to finish to watch me stagger in. Anyone know what the parking facilities are like? - Really don't fancy having to wait for shuttle buses, but equally don't want to stress out family by having them drive round in circles looking for a parking slot reasonably near the finish.

First marathon for me - don't know what is holding me back from entering? 

Good 1st marathon choice?, what do you think? - Nudges in right direction would be much appriciated.......................... image

• I've been looking for this thread!! image

I entered over the weekend, and reading through the threads and stories I can't wait for it!

I did Edinburgh as my first marathon in '09, and am back to try and beat my original time of 4:48 (and also try and set a new PB by beating 4:44!).

Bracken -  It was my 1st marathon and I was tempted not to run Edinburgh again so I didn't tarnish the great memories I had from it. Like others say by the country estate the atmosphere is a bit quiet (from about 18-21ish miles?) but after that you get the support of the locals to lift you again.

I've no idea about the parking I'm afraid.

• Bracken,

the finish is usually crazy busy as the 10k, half and full marathons all finish in the same place over the course of the day. If they got there super early then they'd probably be okay - but if they're seeing you off at the start I would recommend the shuttle buses instead. My other half used it last year to get from the start to the finish and had no complaints. I used it after the finish and apart from it being about 3/4 mile walk from the finish uphill (just what you need after 26.2 mile run image)I had no complaints - waited maybe 10 mins and there were a lot of buses.

Good luck with the PB MovingAlong !!

• There hasn't been any organised parking in the past, but there are plenty of side roads near the finish with space.  My father came to drive me home in 2009 and he parked less than 5-minutes hobble from the finish.

The shuttle buses have been rubbish the years I've been there (wasn't there this year).  However, I think the people organising the recent Kilomathon are the same as the people who organise the marathon and the  Kilomathon's shuttle buses were absolutely brilliant.

• Cheers Duffs!

Just moved house in the past 6 months so now looking at the build up half marathons that I can do at the start of next year! Lots and lots of new races! Woo-hoo!

Anybody got anything on the horizon? I've got a 10 miler next Sunday - which I'm not really very prepared for at all! imageimage

• Nothing planned so far - just recovering from a badly sprained ankle after doing an Urbanathlon in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago - stupid tyre jumping thing image

I have the central lancs half planned for 2nd January 2011 (to keep me on the straight and narrow over Christmas and away from the cookies) image and then the Edinburgh half on 10th April 2011 - if you haven't done the marathon before then the half covers a good proportion of the course so it's worth a look and would get you familiar with the city if you need it in advance.

Duffs

• I have the Lancaster half on 7th of nov then a 10 miler in preston at the end of nov.Have just entered the Prague half marathon on the 2nd of april so will be filling in races between then and now.

Dave.

• Morning all! Hows things?

Had a realy good run last night, managed to get my mile splits back to something similar to what they were like about 5-6 months ago, and managed to run with the clubs 2nd squad, just behind the lead squad!

Feeling really good about my running today - for the first time in ages! image

Slowhand - Good luck in the Lancaster half. I'm meant to be running a half in Stevenage that day, but have found out I'm at a wedding the day before, so it may not happen.

Duffs - hope that ankle clears up. I need to find a new year race to keep me on the straight and narrow over new year (got a 10 Miler on 27th Dec that'll keep me straight over xmas day!)

• Never a good time to get an injury Duffs, but you have plenty time before the need to up your training.Weddings and running? hope you have good will power,or maybe not,plenty races about though.Looks like better weather this w-end got drenched last sunday,but it was cool for a change.

Dave.

• Hi everyone,

Hope all is well and all still super keen. I have just finished a whole week back at the gym after my ankle sprain so I reckon I am well on the mend image. I am however home alone this weekend image but I was given a chocolate recipie book so I have a mississippi mud pie in the oven and a caramel cake in the fridge imageimage. super gym sessions needed next week now.....

Have a nice weekend all

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Pleased to find this thread image. I was waiting to see if I got into London or not. Didn't- so immediately signed up for this one as it has been on my 'one-to-do' list!

I live in SW Essex so will be coming up to Scotland on the Saturday . Need to sort some accommodation out .

I'm actually doing an off road marathon in 2 weeks time....in Brentwood - Weald country park. This will be hard hard hard as it is many laps of a route that contains hills and could get very boggy. imageBut all good fun I say!

Looking forward to sharing training with you guys. Keep the faith image

• Hi ladyfe, we have booked a premier inn close to the start,one good thing about them, the beds are very comfy,and your close to the centre of Edinburgh.Great prep for you with your off road run,edinburgh will be no problem with that behind you.

Dave.

• *pops head round door*  Hello, I did the marathon this year as my 1st marathon to celebrate hitting the big 4-0... Have signed up for the 10k and the half next year, can I still hang with you guys though???  I will feel your pain as I went through it all this year.

Oooooh we booked the Travelodge on Waterloo Road (spitting distance from the start) for £25 a night... bargain or what???

• Hi All,

Duffs - you haven't eaten all that chocolate have you? Save me some? Good news about the ankle, bad news about the extra gym work - but you've brought that upon yourself! image

Ladyfe - good luck with the marathon!  I need to sort some accomodation as well - did have a look at Travelodges, but they were a bit steep. (Although looks like CazSoul has got a bargain, so might be worth a 2nd look!). I'm from Herts, so I'll be travelling up either Friday or Saturday as well.

CazSoul - welcome! Thanks for the heads up about the Travelodge - I'll have a look a bit later.

Good running week for me this week, but missed my weekend run due to a last minute change of plans. Played football (well, stood in a field!) this morning, and legs are now tired. Gym tomorrow to look forward to, before getting out with the club again on Tuesday.

Oh, and I'm in work at the moment image

• Caz,good to have you onboard,sure we will all be feeling some pain along the way but we keep coming back for more,.....must be a running thing.

Dave.

• Hope everyone had a nice weekend. The pitiful amounts of mud pie and caramel cake that I left  have been taken into work and removed from temptation  image. Still did an 8 and a half mile run yesterday to try to minimise the damage. . . .we'll see come weigh day.

Hope everyone else is going well with 31 weeks 5 days to go image

• Feels like a lazy week from me so far - missed running last night due to winning tickets to a gig. Gym at lunch, and debating whether to do a bike ride tonight or skip it and keep my legs feeling fresh for race on Sunday... hmmm... decisions...
  • Hey everyone,

I just got my "In Training" T shirt yesterday and celebrated by wearing it to the gym, last night. It was a teeny bit tight so I'm hoping that will spur on the training and not just depress me.

MovingAlong - did you risk the bike ride and are you feeling fresh for Sunday run? What run is it you're off doing?

Have a good weekend everyone image

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Hi all- currently about to start my final taper week before the Brentwood off-road marathon on the 24th!.

Slowhand- thanks for the tip about the Premier near the start- I'll try and get this sorted today. I have stayed in a Premier before and found it quite comfy so that will do image

Got a real boring weekend due to loads of work related stuff but will try and get some cross training in at the gym. I have been so busy at work recently that I have done virtually no cross training and for the first time in years I now have a little niggle at the bottom of my calf- probably due to lots of running and not enough stretching as well.image So I am really going to monitor it this week. I have never yet had to stop running due to an injury in 6 years of running and I don't want this to happen right now! Seems to be lower calf/upper achilles...not sure.

All my runs this week were done either TO work, or from...varying distances according to schedule. I do like to run first thing in the morning as I feel like a heffalump in the evening image. But it has meant my runs either started in the dark and ended in the light- or the other way round! 

Duffs- is your t-shirt a special Edinburgh marathon in-training t-shirt? Or just a new training top??

• Ladyfe,taper has arrived at the right time the rest/reduction in running will help. We stayed in the marriott at canary wharf when I did london this year,their beds are renowned for comfort but the premier inn beds are a close second.Out for a nice 10 miles 2mo morning.Enjoy your running this w-end folks.

Dave

• Afternoon all - Just found the thread.

I ran this last year in that awful heat, but despite that I've signed up again for more punishment in 2011!

Very disappointed with my time in 2010 so I'm starting the biuild up now for next year.

I see a few people are running the Lancaster half next month - i'm in too!

• Duffs - ended up having a real lazy week. After posting that message I went to the gym, got changed, and then realized I didn't have my trainers with me!!! Bike ride went out the window. Ran harder with the club than I'd planned on Thursday, but have rested up since then.

Race tomorrow is a 10 Mile run (The New Ware 10). 1st time I've done it, and it'll be my 1st 10 mile run since early May I think! Treating it really as a kick-start for LSRs and to put a marker in the sand to measure progress against. Hoping to get round within 1hr 40 - PB is currently 1hr 27.

Might treat myself to an in training T-Shirt. Did buy one in 2009 but it took 4 months to turn up!

Slowhand - enjoy your 10 miler!

Hi Kicked-It - welcome aboard!!!

Ladyfe - hope your calf niggle clears up.

Happy Sunday running everyone!

* Goes off to amazon to buy Advanced Marathoning after hearing good reviews about it *

• My T shirt is an official emf in training t shirt with next years date on it. Be warned though I ordered it when I entered in August and have been chasing it up - only arrived this weekimage

Good luck tooday MovingAlong - hope you get the time you want.

Have a good day y'all

• Just sat down after 10 mls this morning,first time I could see my breath as I was running and it was nice and cold.

Kicked it, I have done Lancaster half the last two years,its a cracking route with a "nice" incline for the last mile or so,you`ll enjoy it. Are you doing the Hutton 10 miler at the end of nov?

M.A. Hope you`re race 2mo goes to plan.

Dave.

• Hi slowhand. "Nice" incline sounds worrying! I'm aiming for a PB attempt, having missed out at Warrington last week by 10 seconds! Was hoping for a fairly flattish and fast course at Lancaster...

Havent heard of Hutton. I have been looking at the Preston 10 though for an attempt on my very old 10 mile PB.

• K-it, yip the preston 10 is the same,runs from Hutton,I have missed this the last couple of years but have entered this year.Lancaster is mostly flat but there is a long slow incline at about 7 mile and a long one at the end, catches a few out. I have the longridge 7 miler in dec, just to keep things ticking over till Jan.

Dave.

• There's an interesting looking Central Lancaster Half in Jan... Jan 2nd! So thats just the hangover and the 2 foot of snow to beat!

Pretty sure I'll be doing Preston though.

•  I did the Central Lancaster 1/2 last year but it was postponed until 1st weekend in February because of the ice and snow. It was only postponed on the Saturday afternoon though so maybe not the best one if you've got a bit of a journey to get thereimage . Nice route though and nice friendly marshalls who kept telling me it was all down hill and that I didn't have far to go. image

Did a ten mile training run this morning and am now taking advantage of my other half from the couch. image

Enjoy the rest of the weekend

Duffs

• Race went pretty well yesterday. Found the 1st 3 miles really hard going, and was wondering why I'd entered! By then when I looked at some of my mile splits I realised I was running faster than I had originally intended. Got round in 1hr 30m 15s, did start aiming for a sub 1hr 30 at mile 8, but just missed that despite doing a sprint at the end.

Actually really pleased with that time as a marker to gauge winter training against.

I also wrote a blog entry about the race yesterday if anyone is interested! - http://serunner.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/the-new-ware-10-race-report/

About to enter Stebbing 10 Miler which is in about 4 weeks time. And then Bedford Half in Dec. Both will just be training run races, with a view to Buntingford 10 Mile Year End in December being my last 'A' race this season, where I'll be hoping to set a new 10 mile PB!

Duffs - I'll probably hold off buying one then! Although my mrs caught me looking on the website at them over the weekend, so I guess I may receive one as a xmas present (although I think the one in '09 was an xmas present as well, and didn't arrive until Feb!)

Slowhand - thanks for the wishes! Well done on your 10 miler. I arrived at my race at 9.30, stepped out the car and thought, yep time for gloves! By race start at 10.40 I didn't really need them - as the sun had come out!