Edinburgh Marathon 2011

1303132333436»

Comments

• Hi,

I was chuffed to finish with a new PB (4h 5m 43s) - it's a great "quick" course, and should mother nature be on your side I think it's definitely where I can see myself beating that illustrious sub 4.  The finish area, yep, just pants, we had 8 (including my 19 month old daughter) at the finishing area, where they stood freezing cold with not much to do for 90 mins as the screen had broke *fume*.

To add insult to injury, I felt quite a bit faint/sick after I finished, so decided to plonk myself down alongside the "massive" queue for the goodie bags only to be told by a EMF steward I had to move as I was blocking a right a way for safety. And no, he did not enquire if I needed help, except encouraged me to move along. image

Question: has anyone who ordered the "souvenir copy" of the Daily Record actually received it yet.  I haven't and I assume it would've been posted out by now?

cheers, Al
    --

• One20FourOne20Four ✭✭✭
    Al, if you have a look at the emf website I think there is mention in the faq's about getting the souvenir copies by the 3rd of June.................hope this helps
  • thanks One20Four (sorry I should've RTF-website, but you'll forgive me in losing faith with GSI events organisation post race).  bit surprised it takes so long to send a newpaper out in the post....when was it available for sale locally - May 24th?
  • Alistair Cooke wrote (see)
    thanks One20Four (sorry I should've RTF-website, but you'll forgive me in losing faith with GSI events organisation post race).  bit surprised it takes so long to send a newpaper out in the post....when was it available for sale locally - May 24th?
    Alistair,
    I stayed in Edinburgh for a long weekend and bought a copy, indeed on Tuesday 24th.
    I'm afraid that the 'souvenir' copy is nothing more than 24 pages of position/name/finish time.
    If that's what your after then you can get more information by using the online results link that I posted in a comment further above.
    TBRH
  • I recieved an email yesterday from GSi in response to my negative feedback of this years marathon event.
    They say, quote,

"We have already started plans to move and overhaul this area to make it a much more enjoyable experience."

The 'area' refered to is the finish/post-finish

I'll do this again next year (I'm already pre-registered) but let's hope they get it right, or I for one will not return for a third year.

TBRH

• So Good news - my souvenir copy of the results from the daily record arrived in the post today (maybe GSI have links with my postie!) image

But I did also find on my Sky+ box the following shows are in their schedule;

Sky Sports 3 and HD3

• 7pm - Tues 7th June - Edinburgh Marathon Festival
    • 8am - Weds 8th June - Edinburgh Marathon Festival
    • 3pm - Weds 8th June - Edinburgh Marathon Festival

Sky Sports 4 and HD4

• 4.30am - Weds 8th June - Edinburgh Marathon Festival
    • 12pm - Weds 8th June - Edinburgh Marathon Festival

The show duration is 60 minutes - keep an eye out for me! image I was one of the 2731 runners who finished between 3:45 and 4:15. I guess they call that "rush hour" for the marathon.

• Got my results newspaper today. I finished in exactly the same time as 2 other people but as my surname begins with 'W' I was put third. Huh!! I'm changing my surname to Aardvark. image   

Unsure whether to give it another go next year after the terrible finish line...............but I probably will. Just hope the wind's not as strong next time.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭
    Does everyone get a paper?  Mine turned up today but I thought you had to pay for it (which I didn't).
  • hi all ..can anyone tell me the likely date for next years race?
  • I got one too and didn't pay for it either?!?! Might be to keep me happy till my T shirt arrives lol!!!
  • Chri5B wrote (see)
    Does everyone get a paper?  Mine turned up today but I thought you had to pay for it (which I didn't).
    Sara Porley wrote (see)
    I got one too and didn't pay for it either?!?! Might be to keep me happy till my T shirt arrives lol!!!
    I think this just emphasizes GSi's organisational failings.

Ok, time get off their backs now - give them a whole year to get things right, hmmmm.
  •  

I paid £2.00 for EMF Picture & Results Special (Scotsman & EEN). I've received the Daily record. Should I be expecting to get some more?!?!  

Who knows!!!!!

• Marie27 - I too recall it said "The Scotsman" souvenir edition or such like on the pre-race registration page (which like you I paid 2 squid for) - but then started doubting myself as our T-shirt had the DailyRecord as a sponsor and someone told me up in Edinburgh it was going to be in the Record too.

so likely another miscommunication?  and what we got is the "pictures and results special".

It sound like GSI are sending it out anyhow to everyone now as a consolation for the mix up - it just  doesn't really apease those of us who paid for it in advance anyhow.

ho hum - was only two quid.  and I did get a PB, so for the course I am thankful as I am of the warm welcome of the good people of edinburgh! image

• Moan Time!!!

I thought that I'd write a quick e-mail to EMF to let them know that I have finally received my 2011 Finishers shirt. I also themknow that the EMF has now managed to sink even lower in my estimations.

The quality of the shirt is poor; and although it bears an Asics logo, it is not. It is an inferior Starworld product - and it shows. The printing on the shirt is poor and, once again, most importantly, the shirt fails to bear any mention of the wearer having run a marathon. Simply stamping 'EMF Festival 2011 Finisher' on the sleeve falls way short of what should be expected. Nothing about the shirt proclaims the fact that the wearer in fact finished the 2011 Edinburgh Marathon. It could just as well be a half marathon or relay shirt - the same as the original one... Really, it beggars disbelief!!!

Add this second shoddy 'souvenir' to the last (better quality) shirt, or the fact that the medal given out at the end of the race was pathetic compared to previous years & bearing neither the word 'Edinburgh' or even the date of the race upon it, not to mention the disgusting treatment dealt out to runners & spectators alike on race day, and my estimation of this marathon plummets even lower than I thought possible...

The note that accompanied my 'finishers shirt' says that theyhope that it will be a constant reminder of my amazing achievement. Unfortunately it won't be. It will only serve to remind me of the shoddy organisation that I experienced on my first trip to Scotland.

The whole debacle has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. What should have been the high point of my running year has become a low point, filling me with nothing other than bad/negative memories. If other runners ask me if it's worth going to Edinburgh to run a marathon, I can honestly tell them that nothing would compel me to return.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

A timely post.

I've been trying to find out from GSI Events when the promised replacement shirt would arrive.

I replied to the lady (Angela IIRC) who replied to me completing the web form (requesting the correct t-shirt) after the event.  I got an auto-reply saying she had left the company, so I tried their main enquiry e-mail.

Nothing, nada, zlich in response.  Very annoying but totally expected for such a clueless outfit.

• Chri5B, you are not alone!
    I also completed the online form and have heard nothing since.

williambloke, I agree entirely, and as this was also my first GSI event & Edinburgh Marathon what do they expect to achieve by sending us an unsuitable and inferior t-shirt months later, which only serves to remind us of how poor they were/are. I do hope my t-shirt eventually turns up - I like a good laugh!
  • I got the e-mail below two weeks ago, no sign of the t-shirt yet.

http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr04/ltr/i_safe.gif

Dear Runner,

We are sending you this email to update you with the progress of the 2011 Finishers t-shirts. We now have sign off from all our sponsors for the re-printing of the t-shirts and these are in the process of being printed now.  We sincerely apologise for the delay in getting these to you as we understand how important it is to you to be able to tell the world that you conquered EMF.

Due to issues at the finish of the marathon this year some of you were given the wrong t-shirt or didn’t get one which we understand is completely unacceptable.  As such we have moved the finish area to make sure that there is more room for runners as they pick up their race recovery packs and therefore no confusion or mix ups.  Our team are already working hard to bring the finish area up to the standard of excellence that you expect.

Your 2011 EMF finishers t-shirts will be with you by the end of this month and we hope that you will wear it with pride and letting people know about your amazing achievement. 

By way of an apology we would like to offer you a 10% discount off a 2012 EMF race of your choice.  All you need to do is enter your code (at the end of this email) in the voucher code box at the end of the entry process and it will discount the entry price for you.  If you have already entered please contact us via www.edinburgh-marathon.com and we will sort this out for you in the office.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

I didn't get an e-mail like that.

Even if I got a 100% off discount code, I'd still have to think long & hard about entering for 2012.

• I would agree, I wasn't planning to take them up on their offer.  If the t-shirt arrives fine, if not who cares. 

I'm going to stick to small races from now on.  I have a marathon on Saturday and there are only 100 or so entered.  More worried about getting lost on route or coming last than battling through overcrowded starts and finishes.