Edinburgh Marathon 2011

Comments

• M.A. well done on your race yesterday,as you say a nice marker for the winter and you will get faster I`m sure.I had my gloves on for the first time yesterday,I was out at 08:00am and chilly it was but not after two miles.

I`m on-call the w-end jan 02  so no lancs half for me K-it , but plenty more to do in the newyear.

Dave.

• Hey all, did not realise there was this thread. I have signed up to do the Edinburgh Marathon through one of the charities. At the moment though I am on the IR (Injury reserve), the Pyshio has told me not to run until sorted. Which hopefully will not be too long and will still have plenty of time to train. HAL HIDGON training plan image
  • Hi all,

Just found this thread thanks to MovingAlong.

First race yesterday since signing up to do Edinburgh as first marathon - Cabbage Patch 10 - struggled round in 1:30 but set myself a nice marker - bang on 9 minute miles all the way round I guess.

Half-marathon in 3 weeks time - going to try for a PB (1:54).

Main focus though is just getting some miles into these legs before Edinburgh - never really seriously trained before and just 'winged it' on the odd 10k. 

Really great to find these forums though - a lot of really serious runners obviously and some great advice - plenty of motivation to get out there and run.

• Hi Andrew & Bumbles - welcome aboard.

Andrew - hope your injury clears up soon and you can start pounding the streets!

Bumbles - only piece of real advice I've got is to find a training plan that suits your 'goal' and more importantly the amount of time you can dedicate to it!

Went swimming last night - got a plan of trying a triathlon next year - but after last nights swimming, may have to reconsider! Such hard work. Still, I'll try again on Friday and stick with it!!!

Club run tonight, guessing about 6 miles and I'll get to test out my new headtorch. Looking like it could be a wet one though.

Hows everyone else getting along?

• I have just surpassed my yearly total miles from last year which I'm pretty pleased with as I was injured and not running until end of Feb this year.

Mileage average going up every month at the moment: I always run better the colder and darker it gets!

Getting a brand spanky new pair of Asics in the morning too!

• Well done Kicked-It. I started off this year aiming for 1000 miles, but am well short of that now. About to catch last years target though. I always lose interest in the summer months, especially after doing a marathon.

I may need new trainers. Keep getting sore shins, which in the past I've always put done to trainers needing replacing - but I do tend to only get about 250 miles out of each pair for some reason that way.

Really good 7 mile run with the club last night. Wasn't going due to other commitments,  but then time came free. Ended up really pushing the last 2.5 miles just to see what I was still capable of, and I was happy with the splits!

Think I'm having a weekend off running this weekend. Football on Sunday. Have decided that I've got to give up playing football on Sundays if I'm going to be able to give enough time to my running, so this could well be my last game. image

• Hello all,

Once upon a time there was a girl who wasn't quite wired up properly who whilst surfing the net came across the Edinburgh Marathon website and without any hesitation signed up for 2011. She had no experience of marathon running & realising this panic set in until she logged on to Runners World  forum and felt reassured that there were people out there with the same illness as her they called themselves 'Runners' and it confirmed the disease was very contagious!  image

• Welcome aboard chocmonster. There are some other newbies and some experienced runners on the forum already so there'll be plenty of support and advice if needed. Been to the gym this morning and was wakened up by the no hot water in the shower image. Still at least I'm awake now for the resty of the day. Have a good Saturday all
  • Dont new running shoes smell brilliant?

Shame to put them on and spioil them ... i keep opening the box for a sneaky inhale....

Welcoem aboard chocmonster. Plenty of time to get ready for the 26.2!

• Hello All, out for a 12mile run this a.m. frost on the ground and cold......hope its as cold come the morning of may 22nd.Did six hill repeats  didn`t take long to warm-up......this disease is highly contagious...bit like chocolate.Welcome to all newfolks glad you are gonna feel our pain over the coming months,only other runners will understand why we do it.

onwards and upwards.

Dave.

• I ran the Edinburgh marthon earlier this year. My time was disappointing. A week ago I did Amsterdam 27 minutes faster. I know Edinburgh was hot again this year but I am not convinced it  is as fast as is suggested. I am however willing to give Edinburgh another crack. What do people think? I have not read of anybody doing PBs in Edinburgh. I 'd like anybody out there to prove me wrong and tell me they have done a PB this year in Edinburgh, or any year for that matter. I need someone to convince me that Edinburgh is as fast as it is claimed.

• Hi all,

Everybody have a good weekend?

I spent most of the weekend reading 'Advanced Marathoning' and I've now got a 12 week pre-marathon training plan, and an 18 week marathon traning plan to start on the 17th Jan 2011. Main aim of the 12 week plan is to get used to running 5 times per week in readiness for the actual training.

Other than that, no running over the weekend. Played football for possibly the final time yesterday - although had a really good game and actually enjoyed myself, so spent yesterday considering how I can balance running & football - I don't think it can be done though, so gonna have to drop out of football.

Gym this lunchtime, and then my 5 runs a week  schedule starts in earnest tomorrow evening...

Happy running all...

• Hi everyone, I have entered Edinburgh because I have been rejected by London for the third time and wanted a Marathon under my belt before 60! Done lots of 10k's and Halfs but never had the courage to try a marathon. Little but worried about the temperatures from the posts on here but I suppose I have run in hot weather before so will just have to prepare for it.

I have never used a training schedule and not sure I could for a marathon, hopefully with so long to go I should be ok!! My training has started with two half marathons a week apart, hopefully that will get me into the stride so to speak!! image

• I too have entered following a 4th disappointment in the London Ballot.  That said having run London in 2007 and 2009 via charity (WellChild) I'm not so disappointed to miss out again as London is a tough course to keep a consistent pace with the mass crowds and the tight course.  In 2009, I ended up recording 26.2 miles almost 800yds from the end.

I've entered Edinburgh as I'd really like to break the 4 hour (my PB is 4h 21m, but I did 5h 13 in 2007 so I'm heading in the right direction!!).

Could anyone comment on how crowded this run is and the ability to hit a consistent pace.  I guess the well advertised decent for the first 10km might help but yet hinder any attempt to hit a constant mileage rate. 

Also anyone following the temperature in London in 2007 and 2009 (22 and 24 degrees respectively) will tell you that I'm a bit of jinx when it comes to warm weather, so here's hoping it's third time lucky and the temperature next may is mid-teens instead. image

• Hi Alistair,

I've only run it once, back in 2009 - I'm not sure if its grown since then - but I certainly can't remember it being particularly crowded. I ran London this year, and its certainly a world apart as far as congestion is concerned.

I'm looking to break the 4hr mark this time round to, so be interesting to keep up with your training and see how it compares! image

• Thanks MovingAlong I'm working now on what my marathon training plan needs to look like post-xmas.  I've got a few races coming up including the St Neots Riverside Half-Marathon on November 21st and the Ely 10k on New Years Eve (morning).  St Neots should be a good guage, it's a quick course and where I managed (somehow) an amazing PB time of 1h 48mins. 

Anything sub 1h 50m this year would be good. amazing how your runs and number of PBs improve the years your doing a marathon - something about that block training I think.

Previous years, I've worked up to 22 miles in training, whereas I'm thinking of following some advice I read in RW previously about doing a time-spent running approach 10 weeks out from May 22nd.

i.e. assuming that your last 4 weeks are dedicated to tapering down, but the previous 6 weeks you do:

week 1 (long run 2 hours)
    week 2 (long run 2.5 hours)
    week 3 (long run 3 hours)
    week 4 (long run 2 hours)
    week 5 (long run 2.5 hours)
    week 6 (long run 3 hours)

I wonder if anyone recalls or has this article online?? will see if I can find it again in my backissues.

• Alistair - Sounds like your from the same area of the country as me. Didn't get round to entering St Neots though Ely - have got Stebbing 10 Mile in a few weeks, and then Bedford Half and Buntingford Year End in December.Debating Stevenage half in a couple of weeks as well.

In my previous marathons I've only run 3 times a week (2 training runs (intervals / hills / etc...) of about 6 miles, and then the weekend LSR - up to 5 x 20 miles). I think to make the improvement I'm after I (at the very minimum) need to bring in a long run on a Wednesday, but ideally a 5th run on a Saturday.

I bought and read 'Advanced Marathoning' at the weekend - so my focus from now until 17th Jan is to get to running 5 times per week, ignoring pace etc... I'm then following the 55 mile, 18 week plan from the book and I'll see how I get on!

Oh, and I agree with marathoning training having a great side effect on other PBs image (although it didn't work out that way for me this year for some reason, I suspect due to a slight lack of training at certain points!)

• The years that I've done the Edinburgh Marathon it hasn't been too crowded. The starting pens I think have been pretty well spaced out and from what I've seen the people who are 'optimistic' with their finish time pull over to the side to let you pass. 

The only thing I would watch out for is when the fresh relay runners join the course over the 3 handover points. I found it quite distracting this year trying to keep a steady pace with runners with a similar finish time to me suddenly being overtaken by the relay runners who were just starting off. Tis hard to resist not speeding up a bit and trying to keep up image

Training this week went so so with my planned 5 mile run on Tuesday night being cancelled due to feeling generally rubbish and wanting sleep. Woke up all refreshed on Wednesday and therefore added Tuesday's to Wednesday's and did a 12 mile run yesterday. Not feeling bad today again so will try for five miles tonight (with some speed sessions in the middle) with a well earned rest from running day planned for tomorrow. It is a sad day indeed when I am looking forward to an hour or so of weights on a Friday night (just cos it means I'm not running). I miss you Smirnoff and Diet Coke/Irn Bru - my long lost friend image

Hope everyone else is well and is looking forward to the weekend.

• Hey all,

Duffs - well done on extending Wednesday running in lieu of missing Tuesday! I'm not certain I would have been dedicated to do the same! image

Alistair -hows that training for St Neots coming along?

This week has been reasonable so far - Gym on Monday and Wednesday lunchtimes. This week is also the 1st week of running 5 times per week, so I'm concious of needing to slow down and not do an injury! Slow run on Tuesday - ran with my better half and she hadn't been out for nearly 6 weeks and struggled. I stayed with her though for motivation - although I probably annoyed more than helped!

Then did a little 3 miler yesterday - with a HRM for the 1st time. Unfortunately it didn't link with my Garmin, so spent most of the run trying to (unsuccessfully) read the tiny display on the HRM watch. My wife got a Garmin HRM with her Garmin that shes never used, so think I'll need to dig that out in the near future.

Its our running club's Halloween night tonight. Not sure how much of a 'proper' run it is, so that may help with the step up to 5 times per week. Debating whether to take the camera along or not...

Hope everyone is well - happy running! image

• Hello all, I have entered the Edinburgh Marathon as my first full marathon - and have only done one half marathon before! I am pretty scared of the training more than anything!
  • Hi Katie! Welcome aboard. Congrats for signing up for the marathon! image

And don't worry, you'll be surprised how quickly you progress towards being able to run 26.2 miles - and you've got all of us here to help you along the way image

• Welcome aboard  Katie,

I second MovingAlong - we will all go through it together and you've got ages to get ready. Hope everyone has a good weekend

Duffs

• Had to drag my lazy carcass out of the door this morning, really not wanting to run with every fibre in my body...

Got out into a fresh, crisp sunny morning and loved every step of my 9 miler!

I'm tapering down to the Lancaster Half next week otherwsie woul dhave happily carried on for anout 5 or 6 miles loving the run. Funny how you can go from hating the thought of stepping outside to having a fab morning run and loving it!

• Hi all,

Hope your all having a good weekend!

Clubs halloween run went well, just under 6 miles, all at a reasonably relaxed pace. Yesterday got down the gym at lunch, and then dragged myself out for a 3 miler this morning. Right calf didn't play ball at all, well until heading home and then surprisingly every thing seemed ok.

I've been roped into doing cross country tomorrow, so bought some trail shoes today. Unfortunately they're too nice to get muddy! Also bought some new normal trainers - some Nike Pegasus as I think my current trainers on are their way out - hence the shin problems.

Have a gd weekend all!
  • Just read back from the start and now very excited! Entered on Friday and ordered a book from Amazon to help me write a schedule that I'll start on Monday - raring to go!
  • Hi Ali - welcome aboard - enjoy writing that schedule today / tonight! Or does the schedule start today?

Did everyone else have a good weekend?

I 'survived ' my 1st cross country - it wasn't the mud bath I had been lead to expected, although it was a bit slippery in places. Managed to get round in about 46 mins 25 secs, which over a 5 mile course I was fairly happy with.

I've now got a slightly sore left ankle - hopefully it'll go as quickly as its come!

• Thanks MovingAlong - schedule (and healthy eating, sleeping, generally being good in every way!) starts today. Book hopefully arriving today, but it's running club tonight anyway so doesn't matter if it doesn't come til tomorrow.

Hope the ankle's better soon.

Booked the Edinburgh Central Travelodge for three nights. Now just waiting to see if I can get the Annual Leave - oops, should have done it the other way round really! Otherwise I'll have to volunteer to do nights just before or after the marathon - not ideal, or beg my collaegues to swap shifts which I won't be able to do until a couple of weeks before. So, fingers crossed!

• Ali - Thanks for reminding me. * Note to self - sort out some accomodation *

Which book have you gone for?

• Graeme Hilditch - The Marathon and Half marathon, A Training Guide. Had some great reviews and wanted a change from the Runners World ones.
  • Hi one and all,great to be back online again,my pc packed in last w-end and its been hell not to be able to check e-mails etc.Lancaster half tomo, weather looks good,cold but sunny.Once january is out the way it will not be long in time passing,getting the long runs underway.
    Enjoy the w-end folks.
    Dave.