Options

Ironman Regensburg 7th August 2011 - entries open 5th July

Comments

• Options
    Hey saffers - I've not run a marathon yet, (although I will in 6 weeks time!)image
  • Options
    OC.....its not me that worries about not having run a marathon before I do I'm and I doubt I will have by then. Bloody hubbies. LOL
  • Options

I trained for the VLM and then put in 4 weeks training for the Swashbuckler HIM, and finished in 5:55. This is double right?

So I figure 8 weeks should cover it.image

Dave

• Options

Interesting comments about the time commitment. I'm a newbie 10 weeks away from my first ironman. I am lucky in that most of my kids have left home and there is just my 17yr old son left at home. My OH has been fully supportive but I know he finds it hard at times. Its not the hours of training thats the problem, its the fact that i'm tired a lot of the time (always falling asleep on the setee) and I hardly have any time to help around the house. I am not very house proud but I do sometimes find it hard how messy the house is. My OH does all the cooking and gardening so Ican't complain.

Having said that I wouldn't change anything, I feel likes I already acheived so much and I love being so much fitter. At the moment it feels like each week I knock off a major milestone, 100miler, OW swim, first brick etc.

I haven't finshed the journey but so far I would recommend it to anyone as long you have to be prepared to put in the time and continue when you have setbacks (thats where the forum really helps).

imageimage

• Options
    Purple, your set up sounds like mine really with long suffering, but essentially supportive husband and untidy house!  Kids still at home but don't need taking to school or anything so I can go and swim.
  • Options
    One more year and then my youngest will be at Secondary School so no more school runs.........which will get me one step closer.image
  • Options
    SwissBobby - it would be great if, when the time comes, you could do hotel booking. You're VERY good at it image.
  • Options
    Thanks Hen... Flattery will get you a long wayimage
  • Options
    How likely is this going to fill up instantly? Might be up for it just got to get this August out of the way first and stuff.
  • Options

Calamity!!!!!!!  imageimageimage

The pirate flags got pinched in Hawaii and we're having a whip round to replace them ahead of Bala.

Buy your slice of pirate history here!

• Options
    *lurks unnoticed*
  • Options

Apart from time, the other major point is obviously money

• entry fee
    • entry fee for training events
    • new bike (maybe)
    • replace traininers when old ones wera out
    • new swimming kit when the old one no longer fits
    • winter tyres/mug guards
    • winter running and biking kit
    • flight
    • hotel costs
    • gels/bars/sports drinks
    • set of tribars
    • £5 as a contribution for some pirate flags
    • another £5 when the first ones get lost image
    • pirate kit
    • replace various kit / clothing as theLarge stuff no longer fits and you now need a medium.
    • etc
    • etc
  • Options
    I hate it when my bike gets covered in those pesky mugs. imageimage
  • Options

"the Large stuff no longer fits and you now need a medium."

Oh yeah? Not so I've noticed. Would be nice.

Hotel and flight? Normal for a holiday, isn't it?

• Options

Dont forget the Stella!

• Options
    (I was only trying to take the p$$ about the flags)
  • Options

The forum is no place for jokes OC.

Did you hear the one about the lady who walks into a bar and asks the barman for a double entendre?

• Options
    fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    did he give her one?
  • Options
    image So can anyone tell me how quickly this is going to fill up? bare in mind I'm a muppet and don't know these things. Should everyone enter on the 1st or can you leave it a week?
  • Options

OC, good point about the money.  It does add up pretty quickly.  That said, I've spent a lot already on bike /wetsuit etc etc, because I knew I'd be doing this one day.  Just need to decide is next year is the year! 

Also, i'd be ecstatic to have to pay money to get smaller clothes, been striving for that for a while, so that wouldn't be a burden image

When all is said and done, life is short, and you can't take your money with you when your gone.  To me a good life is one made up of many different experiences, some bad, but mostly of them good/amazing/thrilling <fill in blank here> .  You can spend months or years wondering what the right thing is to do, or alternatively you can just get on and do it.  The best things in life aren't always easy to achieve or attain, so as long as you're prepared to accept the hard work and JFDI, then why not go for it?

imageI appear to be trying to talk myself into this...image

• Options

hee hee.

seriously though, the point about having your family on board is important. IM training will take over your life - you won't want to go out partying the night before a big training day or warm-up race (unless your name's Barlist). You won't have time to do much else except train, and if you're not sure you will have the support from the important people in your life, please please talk it over with him/her/them. Although I work full-time, I don't have kids at home (except dogs) and my OH is a triathlete too, we support each other in training and racing. Housework takes a back seat, no good feeling guilty that you haven't done the ironing or cleaned the windows this week! Luckily for me I'm an exercise junkie and really enjoy hard training, but you need to be clear what is involved here and how it will affect your life overall.

If you've done all that, are sure of your feelings, have the support of the ones who matter - then welcome aboard for one of the best trips of your life!

• Options
    Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭
    hmmmmm - I'm torn here.  I love the idea of doing IM and knowing the buzz I get from finishing just a sprint, or a marathon I'd love to sample crossing the line of IM.  But the point about training and the effect on homelife is valid one I'm sure and I'm already finding it hard to fit in Vit training while not neglecting my OH too much who's under a lot of work stress at the mo.  I've no kids and I only work 30hours a week so compared with others I've got bags of time, and no excuses.  Like Purple said, its not just about finding time to train but about feeling tired afterwards.  But I'm not exactly "young" so its not going to get any easier by leaving it for a couple of years...........  think I need to have a good long chat tonight over a beer or two. image 
  • Options
    We all have our reasons for wanting this Lee. I agree with life is short. For me last year was a bad one. I took a year off work to nurse my Dad who was diagnosed with cancer.....sadly he lost the fight in the September. It made me realise how short life is and to live it to the full and fill it with what you want......I don't want any regrets at not having done want I want to do! So an IM it will be.
  • Options

Very sensible advice here. Last year I can honestly say my whole life revolved around Ironman, training for it, preparing to train for it, shopping for it, eating for it lol (don't expect it to be a weight loss programme guys!).... wibbling over it!!

That's why I pulled out of Roth this year, I can only realistically give that sort of commitment every other year. 

It is a journey and one I am so thrilled to have experienced.

You are going to LOvE it guys!! image JFDI!!

• Options

UIW, in some ways i've got no support!!  I'm single, I live with flatmates, but I want to get my own place soon.  I've got no-one to make sure I don't hack off with all the training, but on the other hand i've got no-one to maybe make my dinner when i'm too knackered or don't have time, so that's a downside too.  Being on my own is a bit shit sometimes, but on the other hand, no point sitting at home moping about it, I'd rather get out and do stuff.  Of course I've got friends who support me, but that is a bit different I guess. 

Saffers, so sorry to hear about your Dad.  I lost my Mum when I was 21 and it changed my view on life quite a bit.  I've done a lot of things i'd never ever thought i'd ever do, and I don't have many regrets.  Dreams are there to be fulfilled image

• Options

Indeed, saffers - I've said it before and I'll say it again because it's the motto I live by. My Dad told me shortly before he died, he had always wanted to run a marathon and now it was too late for him. I found that terribly sad and vowed never to put off things I want to do until it's too late for me. Tomorrow isn't promised to you.

There's always things you can do to fit your training in - for instance, I had a 4 hour cycle on the schedule for today but I needed to take my car in to the garage and it was raining hard this morning. So I loaded my MTB into the car, drove it to the garage, biked 2 hours home in the rain which stopped before I got there, swapped to my tri bike and did another 2 hours including the 4 scheduled fast intervals. Did a short T-run after with the dogs. Job done. I am on leave form work this week and next to concentrate on cycling. Same for OH, except his emphasis is long swims for the upcoming races he has.

• Options
    First League race of the year this Sunday - 3km swim and 5km run for me, double that for LJS.
  • Options
    Sorry Cake - didn't mean to ignore you. As this year is only the first Regensburg it's hard to say how quickly it will fill up, but going on what happens at other races I should think it will fill up quickly especially as there are Hawaii slots to compete for.
  • Options
    image No worries just working it out in my head. Been near there before many years ago, so would be nice to come back. For me's it's going to expensive what with other stuff the same month so thinking do outlaw and then see what the situation is. You never know I might deside tri's are a bit sh*t by them and take up a proper gaylord sport like golf? Will support ever way and if can't race it's beer time!image
  • Options
    For various reasons I won't be able top go long next year, but good luck to everyone and if Regensburg is a quarter of the atmosphere of Frankfurt you'll have a total blast image