Bone Marrow Oedema 2nd metatarsal

2»

Comments

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Doh!

Sorry didnt read it properly!

Ummmm I would still say not.

No idea about hte bone scan results. I have the impression that it will still be a few days afterwards. Then I will wait to hear from consultant, and my results will be given to my physio and we will (well she) consider when I can start running again.....I expect a couple more weeks at least...which will be 6 weeks. The longest I have not run for prior to this was about 2 or 3 weeks after messing up my ankle badly.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

oh and you can simply test it by hopping on the bad foot.

However, I am not suggesting you should do this either.

Yuo really shouldnt ask strangers in effect as to whether you do things like this! Sorry...i wouldnt like to advise you to 'test' it if it goes against current advice and things go wrong.

• I know I'm sorry.

Have done the hopping thing though - several times - no pain.

Let me know how you get on.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Thats ok lizzy. Just reread previous page...follow up July 10th or someting.

Agreed that will be a long time - 10 weeks, but if that is your situation, unless you can push to be seen sooner? Counterpoint to that though, is if you 'risk' it too soon, and things go wrong, you will be pissed off with yourself.

It is frustrating you cannot simply 'have a look' and see how things are....look under the bonnet like in a car! Trust me I am in the same situation.....and going from about 80miles a week (over 100 sometimes) to zero is a tad annoying, plus missing out on a 145 mile race I had been looking forward to, but I want to return mended....and not too soon.

• ARGH!!!!!!!!

I'm fine. I'll be fine once I've been to the gym. Just remembered I forgot to charge my IPOD!

Monday mornings and sleep deprivation don't sit well with me, especially with a lack of cardio induced endorphins..........

It's sooooooo long! I'm sorry I know I'm not the only one in this situation and there are worse things by far!

I hope you get some good news Nick.

Gonna start saving for an MRI machine image

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

You can also test for SF with a tuning fork....apparently.

Another friend gave me one (she is an osteopath)....but ive not used it....I have a terrible ear!

I know what you mean - i spent a lot of time at my friends allotment over the weekend. I cycled 60 miles by about 11am on Sat, then had a spot of lunch....then went and smashed wood together.....quite soothing! Im like a bear with a sore head today though.

Luckily I am not responsible for a little person either.

• mmm.....tuning fork is a cheaper option definately. Not sure I could manage it without breaking something in the process though.

Am responsible for 2 little people. They're 2 and 4 and like to get up early!  I have elaborate plans for when they're 16 and want to lounge around all day though.

oooh I could go for wood smashing - sounds like cheap therapy : )

Gym will have to do in the absence of wood, an axe and the necessary hand eye coordination.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

did the gym help lizzy? I just retunred from a chilly 25 miles on the bike and am now heading to the gym. Not in the mood....having a 'bad' day i guess.

• Morning,

Yes the gym helped alot. Feel 100% better today and NO running. bike, elliptical and rower - no pain. Had a really good time. How was yours?

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

grumble grumble....wanna run...grumble fed up with weights bike weights bike.

It was ok, still consultant called me about the MRI - "absolutely normal". Currently waiting to return to hospotal for bone scan.....im a bit radioactive!

• How's your pain level? Does anything you're doing hurt?

I'm getting a bit sad again today. It's running club night and it gets me down. I wouldn't be running anyway today as tomorrow is the Blaydon Race so I would've rested. Tomorrow will hurt as I was so looking forward to it.

I think I'm having my mid afternoon slump. I'm sure i'll be fine in an hour or so. Debating what to do at the gym tonight - how to mix it up a bit? Think I'm going to try the other site for some variety but will bump into pre run club chat group which will be hard but nice at the same time. It'll take everything i have not to say bollocks to it and join them!!! I'm pretty sure i'd regret it though!

Any way - Cheer up!!! Download some new songs - happy ones - they always give me a bit of a lift. imageimage (just figured out how to do smilies after all of this time).

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

No - no pain at all, although I havent hopped/run or anything.

I totally forogt that my massage friend has an aqua jogger belt - so borrowed that yesterday and went to the Lido, and 'ran' for 45 minutes...which was about as good as it gets at the moment.

If you ahve a decent pool (im lucky in cheltenham as we have a 50m lido) it can be a good way to keep the running muscle groups in check.

A colleague of mine wrote an academic piece about running and injuries, and that it is important to keep up some habits associated with being a runner, as it will help psychologically.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

This article examines the importance of “identity work” for the maintenance of athletic

identity in the face of prolonged injury, and the part that type of work played in successful

athletic rehabilitation. It is based on collaborative autoethnographic research undertaken by

two middle/long distance runners during a 2-year period of injury and rehabilitation. The

narrative delineates the various kinds of identity work that were crucial to the process of

rehabilitation, focusing in turn on routines and settings, appearance and embodiment, identity

talk, and differential association. The article concludes by conceptualizing identity work

as a strategy that can play a vital part in the recovery process of injured athletes.

• yeah the pool near us gets quite busy and the swim times are quite limited. Went to the gym again last night and bumped into the running club on their way out - nearly cried. I'm not sure after 5 more weeks of this how I'll ever get back or indeed if I want to. Loving the bike though.
  • Thanks Nick, I'm trying to keep up the routines and leg strength but it's just no where near as much fun. I'm feeling very trapped and frustrated. I just want to open the door and be on my way rather than packing a bag, an ipod and the rest and driving to my workout. I think in some ways it'd be easier if I could feel the injury or something. The fact that the pain is gone and I feel back to normal yet still persevering with the boot and gym work is the most frustrating.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

You just have to be very disciplined.....and it sounds as though you are Lizzy, so just keep going.

What about getting a real bike? (assuming you dont have one already?)....getting out there when the weather is nice (as it has been generally) is great. I know you have litluns, but assume that things are sorted generally with childcare...at least then you can just get out the door and go.

I bought one recently (i now have 3 bikes image ) to give me something else to do!

• I have a bike, a very nice one and I do enjoy it. I've been out a couple of times on a weekend but I have to confess to being a little apprehensive about riding on an evening as I use the old railway line in the village and I don't feel particularly safe at night especially after an untoward incident whilst out running not so long ago. I'm generally trying to ride on a Sunday morning if I can in place of my long run.  The kids are generally in bed by 7 so most of my workouts are done after that with the exceptions of weekends.

I'll keep going don't worry - I eat far too much not to!!

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

My new bike is floursecent pink! (well its 2nd hand actually!)

That sucks about feeling apprehensive, and I can understand why. There is a cycle way in Cheltenham along an old railway track - and there are a few places where undesirables loiter in the evenings.

Keep Buggering On as I believe Winston Churchill used to say!

• Will do! Cheers Nick.

Just reading a few old forum posts re 2nd metatarsal stress fractures. The ones who were actually fractured were told less time off than me.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Bone scan results - SF in middle of tibia. 8 weeks.

cock.

• Oh No Nick - so sorry! 8 Weeks in what? cast, aircast?

At least you know what it is.

I feel for you - that's crap!!!!

We'll get through it! 

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

8 weeks in nothing i dont think....i dont want to go into an aircast again, as that was what caused the RSD.

Consultant did mention some kind of shinguard....so will investigate that, but he did say that non-weightbearing wasnt a good idea.

We shall see. 

• So you mean no cycling or anything? what do you think then?
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Lizzy - sorry i put most info on my 'reflex sympathetic dystrophy thread'....the report said 'in keeping with an early stress fracture' - now the key word is 'early'.....and could be interpreted several ways.

Ive had something for about 6 weeks now...but have been resting (i.e. not running) for 4. Early is a worry in that i interpret it as being in the early stages of development....which mgiht suggest that over the recent weeks I havent been resting it enough.

I have been told I can cycle, so have been - but not really pushing hard. I dont think I am getting any pain, which is essentially the main 'guide'.

Consultant has said not to go non-weight bearing....but is what I am doing 'too much'.

Physio is on her hols at the moment, so I wont be bothering her until next week.

• ooh tempted. We could get that and a portable bone scanner and we'd be well on our way. We could even charge!

Wish I could go back before the further prescribed 4 weeks and ask what's going on. It feels 99.9% now and from what I've read they can feel like that for a very long time. Did you do much over the weekend?

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I spent a fair amount of time at friends allotment building her a fruit-frame out of old pallets. I also swam a bit and went to the gym. Sunday did a charity bike ride, and more allotmenteering. Didnt watch the footy.

My parents also visited me as I bought tickets to go see Prof Brian Cox (Wonders of the solar system) giving a talk at Cheltenham Science festival. Which was nice.

You?

Shame you cant go back or somehow find out how things are going....clearly for me it is still too early to go back to anything as I have got my bone scan images (on my reflex sympathic dystrophy thread - under my profile) and I can see where the issue is