Friday 6th

2»

Comments

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Horrible and wet here in London, but I actually don't mind running in the rain.

What: Either 3 miles run as a 'time test' for the 5K I've got coming up, or 3 miles run easy depending on energy levels by the time I get home tonight.
    Why: Because I've been overdoing it a bit this week, and all my runs have been quicker than usual (even though I haven't intended this, and have been worried en route about my breathlessness and tiring more quickly than usual). So I'll either carry on pushing it a bit more, or make a concerted effort to slow down!
    Last hard: Wednesday's 5-mile tempo run.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Cath - forgot to add my very best wishes for your Race for Life on Sunday.

As far as I'm concerned, though, you've already raced for life - and won.
  • Afternoon everyone.

What: 4 mile run, 13 miles cycling, gym session and 20 minute swimming drills.
    Why: Schedule says so
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: Sunday

Felt very tired for the running and cycling. Hope tiredness will go away in time for club run tomorrow.
  • I'll second that Minkin,

M, that must feel great to be able to start running again, good luck.

BR, 20*400 sounds utterly mad, have fun.

Well done Lizzie. I know that 'miserable failure' shuffle only too well! Isn't it hard doing mental maths while you're racing, I can never do it either, especially since time is inconveniently in 60ths rather than decimal, couldn't the Romans have done something about that while they were messing about with their empire?

Sounds like a very decent position and good race.

What: 2 hr forest trail run. Very nice.
    Why: had the morning off for doing fell run after working late last night but couldn't be bothered to head up into the wind and clouds and spend hours wrestling with the map, good decision.
    Last hard: Wed 10K
    Last rest: Tues

I'll do another longish run this weekend, then take it easy next week getting ready for Swaledale.

Enjoy your weekends everybody.
  • Minkin -- thanks :) I'll be walking in the rain by the looks of things but I don't care. As you say, for me, the race is already won :)
  • Popsider - what you didn't say was that by 'used to be speedy' you meant I was OK at school cross country 18 years ago...

What: 2-3 miles easy club run tonight
    Why: It's Friday plus want to do a bit of something before the race tomorrow

Well done Lizzy - I know what you mean about mental maths whilst racing, during last weeks 10k not only did I think that doing 5min 20sec km would equate to a 52 minute time (OK if there were 100 seconds in a minute) but I also thought at 7km that I only had a mile to go..

Hopes for tomorrows race, difficult to know as I haven't done a half marathon before but did 12.4 miles in training a couple of weeks ago in two hours fairly comfortably, so:
    sub 2hr: yipee!!!! but very unlikely
    2:05 happy
    2:10 OK it is hilly afterall
    2:10+ disappointed

Good luck everyone else racing this week
  • Good luck tomorrow Alison. I think its is Buxton you are doing or am I thinking of someone else? If you've run 12.4 miles in training you'll run it easily. Just don't set off too fast (but who am I to talk...)
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    What: 3.9 miles this afternoon after a marathon shopping session today(day off) and pouring down with rain too.

Last hard Tuesday

Last rest Thursday

Good luck for Sunday Cath

Well done Lizzie
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    You said you were second best of the girls in your year for about 4-5 years - and you ran for Sutton Harriers at 15 - so I call that speedy.

Anyway the you should be inside 2 hours off a 52 minute 10k done in blazing sun on tracks, look at the race time calculators. Really you should be looking at under 1.50 by Notts.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Indeed Alison, apply yourself I say! A girl in our club was talking about 'maybe breaking 4hrs' at FLM. I told her that according to her other times at varying distances she should be aiming at sub-3:45.

When I saw her after the marathon she was grinning broadly as a result of a 3:40 marathon debut. Go for it young lady!

P.S. I was a rubbish runner at school, at least you have something to look back on!
  • I notice Popsider that you didn't mention that I only ran for Sutton Harriers once in a cross country and think I finished last.

I think I will try and stick to 9.5 min/miles in the first half and see how it is going, if OK then I will try and push on in the second half. Nottingham is going to be category 'A' race.

Where do I find a race time calculator?
  • P.S. thanks for the encouragement Wardi
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, having a bit of a busy week with work and son sitting his GCSE's.

What:rest
    Why:racing Sunday
    Last hard:yesterday, hills and fartlek.
    Last rest:today.

Well done on your race Lizzy!

Good luck with your RFL Cath, the rain will be refreshing!
  • Well done LizzyB

Our coach suggested the 400s as a way to improve 10k times. He said to start with 12, then 16, then 20 then 25 (equivalent to a 10k.

As I did 16x 400s back in March I thought I'd pick up at 20.

He said to do them at 4 secs per lap quicker than 10k pace. I put 10k pace at 35mins, or 2100 secs which over 25 laps is 84 secs per lap. So 4 secs off this is 80 secs per lap. 100m / 45 secs jog recovery was advised.

So armed with these stats I set off...

Started with a 79.3 and 79.2, then
    80.0 (thought I'd blown it)
    79.7 (desperately need the toilet)
    79.4 (ditto)
    79.3 (ditto)
    79.5 (ditto)
    80.2 (something that rhymes with above so longer recovery by 35 secs)

Legs like jelly near the end, just as it should be. Only 2 laps outside target and might have been able to be a bit quicker at then end without stomach problems.

Average 78.57 secs per lap. Not bad as there was a stiff breeze on the home stretch.

Might go for a short recovery run tonight, might not as I've a 2hr run planned for tomorrow.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Excellent work BR, such stuff needs steadfast self discipline.

Alison W..race time predictor at this address..

www.home.connectnet.com/eoinf/predict.html

Sorry, I can't do links yet, good luck with the race.
  • Blooming 'eck BR, nice to see another 'saddo' like myself is on here again! Like my new name (more anonymity)?

I like the full rundown of your times! Did Mr Roberts join you? Maybe you should reach for the Immodium again!

• Yes he did. He did 15 in around 82 secs each.

On reflection, I think a packet of dried mixed fruit 90 mins before the session did not help!!
  • I ate about 15 pringles crisps around 2 hours before yesterday's trot, and felt very 'heavy' all the way through. Food and less than 3 hours between runs just doesn't agree with me!

Think I'll do a small trot tomorrow, as I'm busting to go out (that'll be, including Sunday, 5 runs in a week)! Getting back to the big time!
  • "We were no match for their untamed wit, though some of the lads said they'll be back next week."

7 miles steady. Can't seem to get going since half marathon on Sunday. Have done more cycling than running this week.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Two races in three days for me (Sun/Tues) so I am in winding down mode. 4 miles steady tonight, will probably do similar before work tomorrow morning.

BR..I normally do 8x half mile reps, do I take it the fast 400's are better for increasing speed? Sunday's race is a short (for me) 3.5 miler which I intend to do as flat out as possible, so that's the speedwork for the weekend!
  • Sup up your beer and collect your fags.

Still taking it easy. I've been a naughty boy and done some running, all be it very, very slowly. My physio says I shouldn't run 'till Mon.

Why do I pay a physio and then ignore her advice?
  • Belting session Barnsley - not sure if I'd have been able to manage 20 of them though - did a session not dissimilar on the track about 6 weeks ago but only involved 12 x 400s (at 80s, with every 4th 400 at 75 - well that was the instruction - though I wasn't able to comply).
    And I certainly wouldn't have managed 20 at that pace if my guts started playing up.....

Well done Lizzy on getting through what sounds like a difficult race for you mentally. How did you feel - honestly - after 2K? If you felt OK I'm sure you'd have been fine if you'd carried on at that pace or maybe a tinge slower - 10K's not like a marathon, where a slightly over-optimistic bit of early pacing can have nasty consequences later.

Did my 9.3K in 36:41 - another pb for this year on this course - by 28 seconds. Did push it quite hard going out against the wind - and got pretty warm coming back when the wind was largely behind. Sweated loads - had a few cramping problems a couple of hours later.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I'll have to go for something a bit more obscure next time I start the thread.

Managed to get a 2 hour run in this evening - if anyone knows Derby from the 5 lamps out along the Derwent to ALvaston Park, out along the Derby Canal route (there is no canal there now) to Swarkestone and then along the actual canal for a bit and back again - followed by the obligatory cold bath. Still having a bit of trouble with submerging my whole body in the water (try to do this at the end of the 20 minutes) - feels like I am risking a heart attack - not sure why the upper body is so much more sensitive to it - no problem just sitting in it though.