Music or Not?

Ran my first run this evening whilst using the iPod function on my iPhone. Not only did I enjoy it but I made my longest distance yet!

How do tthe others feel about running with music - does it enhance your run or put you off?

Comments

• I've not ran listening to music for a long time but when I did I always found that I didn't even notice anyway and couldn't really have told you any of the songs that had been on.  Usually without I'm in a world of my own anyway!
  • I find Im slower with music and concerntrate less, but still carry it with me on long slow runs incase I get bored and have a long way to go!
  • I do not run to music. There is time and place for everything and running for me is not it. I run to destress as well and enjoy the sounds of nature as I always run in the countryside.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. Not for everyone it seems. Maybe it's the novelty factor but I'll soon find out no doubt!
  • I always run to music, can't run without it. It helps my pace, when I'm feeling a little sluggish and something powerful comes on I up my pace.  

There have been numerous forums on here regarding this and a lot of people saying you shouldn't run with music as it's dangerous, you can't concentrate blah de blah, and my argument on that is if it was so dangerous why do runners world  and marathon organisers (for example) have topics on "what is your favourite music to run to".

Then there are the other side who love it. I Love running with music, I have one headphone on only so I can still hear around me.

You run with music if it helps, I would never have got as far as I did previously if I hadn't had music to run to.

• I've stopped running with music in races, for safety and pacing sake

In the gym I'll wear my Ipod,

Doing LSRs or club night with the club, I won't, espcially as you can chat to other runner's while on the go.

Can OPEN....worms EVERYWHERE......
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I do not run with music. I find it a distraction. As Betty Bee says, normally I wouldn't notice it or be able to tell you what's been played.

Some songs do up the pace, others therefore by implication down the pace.

I started to find running with music was more of an annoyance than anything else.

I like to count my pace in my head all the time.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    ShleyBey, you beat me too it!
  • So far it's been very restrained.....posters so far to be commended!

Just to let you know Ian, if you didn't already, there is a long-running and never resolved debate over iPods when running. Some people love them as they help to pass the time when running, increase the enjoyment, provide motivation, some people use music to help them pace. Others argue it's dangerous, as you're awareness of cars and other dangers is reduced, you're also more disconnected from running - music can affect your breathing pattern and also reduce your pace, as you concentrate more on the music than your leg speed.

They have also been banned in a few major races, prompting another argument where people will still use iPods, even though they're banned. Some people agree with the "rules is rules" side, others say "it's only an iPod what's the problem?" side.

I in no way endorse either of these view points. Please don't hurt me.
  • I listen to music when I'm running to and from work each day, it's the same route every day and it gets a bit boring, so music does help pass the time.

Fast paced rock songs mostly for me. I love classical music, but it just doesn't seem to work to run to.

I don't use the ipod during races, for all the usual reasons mentioned (safety etc.) and also on longer races (half/full marathon) it's nice to chat to other runners.

At one half last year there was a girl who'd wired her ipod up to speakers - set to a nice volume.

I can't say if it's safer or not wearing earphones on my work runs. I follow a major route into Leeds, so there's a lot of traffic noise to begin with, there are few junctions on my side of the road and i have so far made damn sure i check for traffic in all directions before crossing(qualifer put in so you can all say "I told you so" when i get flatted tomorrow!). In fact the only incident i've had so far was when i slipped and nearly fell in front of a car - i was coming to a stop at the curb while waiting for the traffic to clear when my foot went out from under me - i don't think wearing headphones had anything to do with it.

• Would never listen to music myself while out running. Think it would be dangerous and the fact that my run routes takes in the beach and out in the country I am more then happy to listen to the natural sounds that I hear. Use the gym a lot and even in there I do not bother. They have music playing, but often to quiet to hear and always seem the same songs, but good enough for me.
  • The Ipod police again.....image    Would you advise someone who was deaf not to run then?

• I would advice a deaf person to run only when beside some one with able hearing, think that would be safest. If that not possible, think gym work would be more suitable then outdoor running.
  • Running with music is sooooo 80's. Running with a book is far, far popular nowadays.
  • It depends on my mood, time of the day and which route I'm taking. On a treadmill iPod is a must.
    Now practising ChiRunning and couldnt imagine doing that with music.

• S.R Would you advice them not to go for walks too??
  • Actually... when I first took up running (umm, 2007) I always had music on. I enjoyed it, but I got to the point where I couldn't run without it. I was dependent on it to get me round, I can remember being in a panic before a plod, because I hadn't charged my iPod. Went without and hated it - it was  a real struggle. 

I took a 6 month injury break last year, and decided to start again without music - and it's SO much better without. I notice my running more, how I feel and what I'm doing, I notice the world around me more, and I feel much more rested and refreshed when I get back, I get more headspace to think. Surprising (not least to myself!) but now I think I'd struggle to run WITH music, it would be too distracting!

x

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I'm laughing at SR's suggestion that people who are deaf should only run when beside someone who can hear image  That is one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard on the forum.
  • I dunno about you lot but like it or not my "ear worms" provide me with many a tune regardless. Sort of lumbered really.
  • It would be really interesting to put this 'running with music is dangerous' thing to bed once and for all. How many people out running have actually died because they didn't hear the car that ran them over?

My bet is 'none at all, not one, not ever' but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Sometimes I run with music, it gives me a lift and an opportunity to listen to the heavy, nasty stuff that Squish isn't so keen on. It's also an opportunity to catch up with music I want to listen to at the same time as training (who says men can't multitask?) Sometimes, I really enjoy listening to natural sounds and being at one with the world.

In races, 'you won't be able to hear marshals' safety instructions' is nonsense too; marshals generally shout and point, it's quite clear what they mean. You definitely can't hear cars which approach quietly; I once pulled out of Stratford marathon and got brought back to the start in a jag; runners with headphones in definitely didn't know we were there. Generally speaking, however, it's the ones that approach fast and noisily that are likely to run you over...

I'm a big boy and it's my life and I'll make my own decisions. We're obsessed with relatively minor risks. About 360 people a year die in falls down stairs and noone is proposing to ban the humble staircase...

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Crashie, I nearly lost a runner under a car when marshalling a race because she was plugged in and couldn't hear my instructions.  It was only the quick repsonse of the car driver that saved her.
  • kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭
    I run with music some of the time, and have found it a great help. One thing I've tried recently is running a BPM scanner on my mp3 collection, and picking out a range of songs that are close to my normal cadence. I've now got a couple of hundred songs on my player that I can be fairly sure I can run in time with, which really helps keep me going when the legs are getting heavy!
  • ...but she was uninjured, yes Wubya? Near misses don't count image I reckon there are also plenty of near misses with people unencumbered by IPods too. The cycling leg of triathlons is far more dangerous than running (I cite the experiences of our respective spouses, both knocked off by idiot motorists when in races...)

I'm not claiming that it's completely safe to run with music, just that grown-ups should be entitled to decide for themselves whether the small risk is worth it or not...but of course, it's their own fault if they get hurt through their inattention....

At the moment, I'm running the public footpaths; no traffic to worry about, but I'm still careful through fields of cows image

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

You want to be careful with cows.  Recent studies have shown that they can become enraged and violent when hearing heavy rock music.

That may be a lie....

• Sorry to say this, a female runner did get knocked down by a car in my area.
    Wearing her ipod. When the ambulance people arrived, they can still hear the music blaring out.
    The runner was crossing the road without any attention and didn't hear the car coming, beebing
    its horn warning her. That runner suffered severe injuries to practically most of her body.
    The driver suffered injuries and shock. I think many who wear ipods are safe and aware of
    their surroundings. But I fear it demonstrates a distraction away from real life.
  • "didn't hear the car coming, beebing its horn warning her. "

I'm sorry, but that sounds like the driver and the runner had loads of time to react, which I'm sure is never the case in these incidents.

There is far to much wrong with your cautionary tale.

The horn of a car is so ridiculously loud an Ipod would not block it out.

If the driver of the car was beeping its horn far enough in advance to tell her to clear out of the way he damn sure would have had enough time to emergency stop. If someone runs out in front of you you don't beep, you break.

Also did she not LOOK? If the driver of the car could see her far enough in advance to have time to beep his horn then there must been a clear line of sight, had she bothered to look she would have see the car.
  • (But back from my tangent)

People/runners/cyclist etc with or without mp3 players get hit by cars every day.

It is an individual choice, if you feel unsafe with an mp3 player don't wear one.

Personal I wear one when training alone. I am a big boy who knows how to look left and right. The music doesn't put me off my stride. Mostly I tune it out and don't pay attention to it but on occasion a bit of "gimmie fule gimmie fire gimmie that which i desire" gets though and can be a welcome little boost.

I don't use it at races though.

I also choose not to use it when cycling EVER, because I do not feel as safe. I rely alot more on my hearing when cycling in town at rush hour.

But I also choose not to cycle on duel carriage ways because I wouldn't feel safe.
    And I choose not to run in certain areas alone at night because I wouldn't feel safe.

Some fella got stabbed out running near me not so long ago, he wears an Ipod, he might have heard the guy who attacked him. Or if he had just stayed at home with his ipod in and not bothered with the running he wouldn't have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

The actual risk to runners, during a race anyway, is pretty much irrelevant. It's the authorising bodies perceived risk that's the important factor. If the Police, Highways Authority, local Council, Insurers etc etc raise it as an issue during the permit application process then the race organiser is stuffed - he's either got to put a ban in MP3s or cancel the race.

How often that has happened is anyone's guess, but I can't imagine that a race organiser would put a ban in place just for his own amusemant.

• I'd be glad to see runners yanked out of no-ipod races when wearing them.

I used to be from the ipod camp, but I've changed sides after running without music, realising how firstly it was affecting my apce, and I coudln't hear stuff going on around.