TdF 2010

Comments

• As soon as he knew he wasnt going to win the stage he gave up, he should give up cycling and take up football he fit right in any premier league team with an attitude like that

• BB ✭✭✭
    He acts like a petulant little boy - 3 weeks is a long time, who knows who will make it through the mountains and to Paris, he shouldn't be giving up on green at this stage even if he is a long way down in the standings
  • esp the way he stormed into the team bus and then threw his helmet out

ffs grow up man

• Cav might as well give up now, and save himself for the Vuelta !

No spirit and lack of backbone......

Last year it was all I would have won the green jersey if they hadn't demoted me, This year it will be because Hushovd hammered you

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

It's OK to post spoilers here isn't it - just to get it straight as I don't want to spoil anyone's viewing by talking about the stages during the day - so it's avoid this thread if you don't want to know the result ?

I think Cav has a brash exterior but he probably is a bit less self confident underneath - he's still relatively young and under a lot of pressure.   Maybe people are being a bit harsh - he's going through a bad patch in his career and some of his talk when he was on top does invite this reaction when he isn't doing well but if you look at how he's got to where he is it's not been an armchair ride by any means - he is a determined character and he will be back - though whether he can get things together for this tour remains to be seen.   

• I think it was undecided if this was a spoiler thread or not.  Personally if I don't want to know the result of the race I avoid the forum completely not just hte TdF thread.  If cav wins there's always some numpty who'll start a thread saying "great win, warning spoiler" but you know if must mean cav's won because no one would start a thread if hondo won!

It looks liek now he's not on top form, and his train isn't as fast as last year.  so people are able to come around and get the jump on him.  Anyway, i don't really see why Cav's petulant.  He knew he'd not got it to win, so  took his foot off the gas.  His helmet accidentally rolled out of hte bus?  I think he's just a guy who didn't get hte winter miles in - i can empathise with that!

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    to be fair to Cav he had a shit start to the year with severe tooth problems which was hindering his training and that seems to be showing with him now physically and mentally. he's not hit the TdF in great form and he's also under enormous pressure from his squad and the public to do well given last year's performance - so the 2 combined are getting to him.

I suspect his petulence is born out of frustration at himself and what's happening around him. in many ways he's no different to many top elite athletes who are quite handy at throwing strops when things aren't going well. he needs the help of Sky's psychologist who is keeping those guys together nicely which is showing with their performances.

personally I'd rather not see spoilers here

EDIT - that's much along the lines that Pops posted as i've just read back. sorry pops
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I think it's the same as our frustration with Cancellara's antics on Monday's stage.  We want to see them race.  We don't want to see them parade to the finish and we don't want to see one of the top sprinters giving up just before the line.
  • My opinion of Cav went down a lot yesterday - where's the fight? Giving up when you knew you wouldn't win? Didn't you learm anything from Hushovd last year - it's not about winning some stages, it's about consistently getting points from finishing as one of the first few, not necessarily the winner.

• Brilliant ..not ...........I just looked on facebook and splash right at the top of the posts was a picture of todays winner. No need for me to watch the highlights tonight then.

<go off to look at Pops spoiler thread>image

serves you right for joining up to the TdF groups - I canned mine before the event started! I'm even avoiding the BBC website today after yesterday.....
  • BB ✭✭✭
    You could see by the tears on the podium the pressure he's been under (I'm sure much self-imposed as he sees anything but a win as worthless and knows his team are workng hard for him and the world's press are watching) He and his lead out man did really well getting in the right place today - I reckon with the pressure off he'll be up for another one tomorrow. I know he is young, but he is also a pro and I stll don't think he should have eased off yesteday. Petacchi has never made it to the end of the Tour and athough Hushovd is looking likely to get the green anything can happen yet so giving away points doesn't make sense when considering the bigger picture and not just I can't win today so feck it.
  • Excellent result today - OK he's emotional, but as with yesterday - if your legs are gone, theyre gone. I like the guy and it seems the british way - build someone up and then knock them down at the first chance.

Petacchi hadnt even won a tour stage when he was cavs age. I've lost count of Cavs wins already ! Who would have thought that of a british rider just a few short years ago ?

• BB ✭✭✭

I wasn't knocking him down, being emotional is a good thing, i shows how much it means to him. He is an amazing sprinter and has had incredible results, and it is great to see all the Brits in the Tour this year and it augers well for the future. When we used to go and see the Tour there'd be no Brits at all, then we had a chance in the prologue but not much more, now there are loads of them! As I said yesterday I think now that the pressure on him has been released he is odds on for today again.

excellent way for Cav to answer his critics - superbly timed finish! hopefully the demons will now be firmly buried and he can go on and win a few more stages and take the green
  • Take back what i said yesterday he showed real character shows how much pressure hes under
  • hoping for another result today too.  that'd be cool.  looking forward to the moutains at the weekend.

i better remember to turn the radio off when i head home or the BBC will ruin it.

• My opinion of Cav has gone back up again - clearly the man feels a huge responsibility to his team. I thought Poisson Pilote Renshaw did outstandingly to set him up as well as he did yesterday (and I love the guys post race interview - "if Hushovd believes I'm going to move over and give him a wheel he's got another think coming").

My fantasy team isn't doing too well - 6th out of 7 in the league.

• http://www.google.com/landing/mytrackstour/

this shows live telemetry from the HTC team.  some riders have watts etc, obviously not cav, although renshaw does.

• BB ✭✭✭
    That is so cool JD, thanksimage
    very good although I'm not sure the telemetry live data is that good - speed goes up and down like a whore's drawers!

the overview is good though
  • BB ✭✭✭
    I just like seeing the little moving dots on the map FB, I hadn't thought about whether it was accurate or notimage
  • BB ✭✭✭

So excited about the mountains this weekend - do you think anyone will try to take some time or will they wait till the Pyrenees?

• well that was an interesting stage and no mistake!

• poor old wiggo.  would be nice to think he can bounce back i guess.  maybe he'll be one of these guys who's allowed to go off ahead a little on the final climb of the day as schlek/contador/evans won't be worried about him.  but, he didn't look like someone who'd be attacking on the final climb.  i thought it was pretty funny to see lance drop like, err me, but was sad to see wiggo meekly fading away.

anyway, he needs to get this book, that'll sort him out:

/members/images/154157/Gallery/lance2.JPG

• So, it looks like a two horse race now (or a one horse race unless Schleck can put enough time into Contador to counteract his losses in the TT.

[me me me] I had four of the top seven on yesterdays stage in my Fantasy TdF team - result! [/me me me].

I've been pretty impressed with the Astana team so far - they've been doing some sterling work. It was good to see Cadel not only showing his emotions yesterday but also having the balls to compose himself and then face the press - Cavendish could take note.

Shame Wiggins is well out of contention and will now be looking for a consolation stage win.

David Millar did bloody well yesterday as well - cycling nearly the whole way on his own and grinding it out to just finish within cut-off. Chapeau,

• i've just become a TDF junkie,

first I started riding road bikes instead of MTBs, then lusting  after new wheels, now this.

I feel I am on a slippery slope

Schleck's problem is lack of team support especially as brother Frank is out - that plays to Contador as his squad are still working hard for him.

I thought at one point on the Madeleine climb that Evans was going to fall off as he was going so slowly - he looked as if he'd had the bonk from hell. hopefully he'll come back stronger over the next couple of days before they hit the Pyrenees.