TdF 2010

Comments

• BB ✭✭✭
    Tough guy to be riding with a fractured elbow, though his face did look a bit grey, shame there aren't more contenders for when we hit the Pyrenees ..
  • I thought Jens Voigt was an object lesson in what happens if you overcook it.  Having helped(?) Schleck up the final part of that climb he blew up big time- front wheel all over the place.

Don't know how much Evans will be hampered by his elbow- huge turn in emotions between pulling the yellow jersoey on and losing it yesterday. 

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I really doubt Contador will repeat the kind of time gap he had on Schleck in the time trial last year.     I'd be surprised if he can put over a minute into him - Schleck has improved his TTing and Contador isn't in the kind of form that had him challenging Cancellera in the time trials last year.   The current gap looks touch and go if it stayed that way.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I agree, Schleck has to have been working on his time trialling for this year.  Saxo's manager was very cagey yesterday when asked what sort of lead Schleck would need going into the TT so I wouldn't put money on Contador walking off with the race in the TT.
  • Yeah, Jens very nearly fell right off his bike near the top of that climb, he had absolutely nothing left.
  • yep, Jens showed what it looks like when someone gives everything for a team leader.  i can't see lance putting in a pull like that for Levi.

anyway, final time trail a couple of years back, everyone (i think) pretty much assumed that Evans had it in the bag when it came to the final TT against Sastre.  But he didn't.  And the timetrialing gulf between those two was greater I think than that between schleck and contador.  I wonder if Contador is just waiting for the pollen free pyrennes and will happily watch schleck's team take the pressure of yellow jersey (also all the obligations of the yellow jersey will eat into schleck's recovery time every evening). 

• I was reading the TdF 2010 Programme last night. On an article about riders to watch was a piece on Cancellara. On the "Look out for" section they listed - Winning Prologue, Winning Stage 3, Winning final TT. 2 out of 2 so far!

Anyone know why Vincenzo Nibali and Ignatiev aren't in the Tour this year?

• Trickster
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4651/Liquigas-rider-Vincenzo-Nibali-skips-Tour-de-France.aspx
    Don't know about Ignatiev.

Good to see Cav actually bothering about the sprint yesterday- has someone put a rocket up his behind about contesting the minor points or was he merely showing off his superior finishing speed?

• Reckon it was phsycological ready for today.

Thanks for the info.

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

On a small tangent.... did anyone see the bit about the Segway riding cameraman on last night's highlights?  That's quite a talent, controlling a Segway with your knees while filming with a hand held camera.

• I caught the end of the coverage and was somewhat confused as I thought that basic directional control was done through balance/leaning.  On the original model is there some sort of throttle twist grip?  Was impressed as I thought it was an example where there was a proper application for the Segway rather than it being a rather expensive gadget.  
  • They have been using a Segway at the velodrome to provide photos of the first half lap for a couple of years
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    I was going to ask if you think Renshaw is the real power behind Cav and how Cav would manage without Renshaw's tactical brain... but I guess we'll find out tomorrow!
  • Cr*p decision (for my Fantasy TdF team at least). I think relegating him & a fine would have been more appropriate (so I'm with Boardman on this I think) - Julian Dean was trying to force him over into the barrier so he did no more than hold his line as he was entitled too. Admittedly doing it with your head is a tad unusual (typical antipodean antagonism?), but it's not like he was butting him that hard. The second incident is hard to defend - I can only think he thought Farrar was going to come towards the middle of the road rather than try and go down the side. I guess this leaves Eisel as the lead out man.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

I agree that the decision is harsh but I think his move on Farrar was completely out of order.  Cav got a DQ last year for not holding his line in a sprint so Renshaw knows the rules.

The headbutts look indefensible from the front but as soon as you see the overhead view you can see what's happening.  It's easy to say that he should have let the race referee deal with Dean but if he'd crashed then Cav would have come down and lost the win.  I think Dean should have been penalised and I wonder if HTC will be complaining about him.  Do you know if the referees view all of the footage before making their decision?

• The ref on th eITV highlights last night said he had only seen the replay once.

The HTC management were going down the Dean was moving off his line, and Renshaw was just holding his...

As for Farrar I think his tranistions lenses stop him seeing other riders !

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

As for Farrar I think his tranistions lenses stop him seeing other riders !

• Being chucked off the tour is harsh...... was expecting a big fine.
  • I was surprised too, think it's a bit OTT, yes it looks bad from the front but Renshaw was only trying to hold the line, albeit a little stronger than might have been prudent! A heavy fine would have been appropriate.
  • Whilst I think that the DQ was wrong Henshaw tried to butt Dean because he was going over to his line, then Henshaw tried to do exactly the same to Farrar

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Like you lot didn't see much wrong with the headbutt.   Not sure the DQ is harsh if it's for the switching Farrar into the barriers - if he'd been one of the favourites then docking him points for the green would have been an option but for a leadout man what other punishment is there ?   

You can't deliberately  risk causing a 35mph pile up just to stop someone getting a clean sprint on your man and then complain the punishment is too harsh - maybe they should offer him the option of getting pushed off his bike into the barriers at that speed instead ?

• I think if it had been one or the other infringement then he'd have been OK - but two in the one sprint is just taking the pee.  They really dont seem to cut Cavs team any slack anyway - so he should have known better.

I dont reckon it will have much impact on Cavs sprints to be honest. He's won in the past off other peoples lead outs - if its a bunch sprint - he'll more than likely win.

I went to check who I'd actually bet on for the tour last night - I think I got some bets on as soon as the odds were up and I'd forgotten what i'd done ! Schleck for the overall and Thor for the green. So hope Pettacchi bails out soon ! image

• I thought (if I was paying attention correctly) that ITV were saying that Petacci had said he was intending to hang in until Paris in the hope of getting something in the green jersey race. 
  • The gospel according to Kelly this afternoon....... Just a bunch of girls,  Now in my day.......................

He has had a mutter about the bad blood between Garmin and HTC Colombia, Such as last year when Garmin chased down Hincapie and stpped him getting the yellow jersey

• Gospel according to Kelly yesterday was that there's a strong rumour Contador and Schleck will be on the same team next year?!

What has happened to Wiggins? If I was French I'd be making comments that he must have been on drugs last year - he's not even the best in his own team.

Some horrible days today, tomorrow and Thurs.

• I think Wiggins got lucky last year - he wasnt thought of as a threat to GC so noone paid much attention - plus the route wasnt as hilly as this time. 

You see it time and time again - someone podiums one year and they never get near it again.

I thought Top 10 would be a good goal for him this year - I think I underestimated the severity of this tour though.

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

I wonder if the weight of expectations is too heavy for Brad.

I'm not sure Contador and Schlek could happily co-exist on the same team.  I think it'd be a recipe for disaster.

• Another tangential question.
    I notice Chris Boardman has been riding an unbranded bike for his 'this is the final bit of the stage' reporting.  From the dimensions it looks like a Boardman carbon frame- is this a new prototype or have ITV asked him to remove the logos as it amounts to free advertising? 

• I have another tangential thing to say....has anyone checked out the hot chick on the Velonews website??? She's on the bit where they do the preview....she is smokin'.........
  • Linky please Rattie !

FeFe - apparently its a Boardman prototype he's riding.  The bottom bracket was creaking the other day - you'd have thought he'd be able to find a spare mechanic round there somewhere ! image]

They did make him remove or tape over the branding last year too if I remember correctly. Bit silly really. Its pretty obvious what bike Boardman would ride !