Sunday 8th June

Comments

• Afternoon everyone

What: 9 mile slowpace in the morning followed by a n hours cycle in the aft.
    Why: Trying to extend running times again & to see my daughter in Gymkhana(?).

Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest Thursday

Enjoy the rest of the sunshine
  • Afternoon everyone!

What: am 25 miles cycle, pm 4 miles @ 10k pace
    Why: Schedule says so
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: Last Sunday
  • happyrunning, hilly, wardi,
    great racing, sounds like you all went hell for leather and reaped the rewards, great stuff.

Achilles,
    told you Monique wouldn't notice if you kept your head down, now you have the defence of having been back on the forums for 'ages'. It looks like your looking for some serious volume in your mileage build-up for Amsterdam.

Where has Drew gotten to??
  • cycled 10 mile TT at 85%-90% MHR
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hippo..yes indeed, it is the Linda AKA mini Egg. She was thrilled that the forumites had played a part in drumming up extra runners and publicity for the event.
  • thats great wardi
    im glad it all worked out for her in the end
  • Speedie, Beckenham's a tough course with that long hill up the main road.
    I last did this race when it was held in October, when the temperature is cooler. Finished 2nd to the guy that won the 10K in Herne Bay, that I organised today!

What: am risk assessment run for Herne Bay 10km - Hare for 1500m family fun run. Lots of running around sorting thing's out.
    pm 8M easy to unwind. Total for week 90 miles.

Why: So I'm ready to start marathon training.

Last rest: 9 days
    Last hard: Definetly today & I did'nt race or do speedwork.
    I'm going to work tomorrow for a rest!

An easy week next week.

Well done everbody.

Now where did I put that bottle of red..................
  • BT, you cant!!!!!!!!
    Your body is a temple:))
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Well done all this weekends racers.

What : 9-10 mile long run
    Why : long run for the week
    Last Rest : Friday
    Last Hard : Wednesday

Have a good week everyone.
  • Some excellent postings today...

Happyrunning, good result. It's all too easy to set off too fast.

Speedie, likewise. 7 mins for 2k uphill?? That may have brought on your stitch. Still you sound like you hung on grimly for a decent result.

Hilly, fantastic, do you need a bigger mantlepiece now?

Wardi - hot stuff! A good even paced run and excellent time.

BT - 90 miles just to get ready for marathon training??? You must be built like an ox. How much do you intend doing when you start properly?
  • Evening all,

Some good runs out there. Well done Hilly, Speedie and Wardi.

Tim, getting nervous even about being in the same race as you in Amsterdam!!!! Have you put your own training programme together or are you following one from the web/books. Debating whether to follow the time outdoors programme again (which is fairly low mileage ca 50 miles per week on average) or try the one in advanced marathon book which only has one speed or intensive session per week but much higher mileage.

Today no running as travelling back to Turkey where I am now sat sweltering dreading the thought of training at any other time than the crack of dawn or in the gym.

Simon
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a week in the Turkey sun right now! Not for training though!

BR-good guess, I've had to find a new place for my latest prize. The thing is I don't want to put them away as so much effort goes in to winning them. At least my sons football ones are in their rooms now!
  • Oh for an understanding spouse! We have a V40 who regularly wins county prizes, shields, medals etc and he's made to keep them in his loft! Mine are on a bookshelf but Mrs BR would prefer them in a box.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I've only got one trophy and that was for football - and it took me til I was 35 to win that.

Well managed to get out for 4*1600 - felt like I've got some sort of illness coming on (or maybe just tired from a hard weekend) and it showed in the times - 5.47/56/56/6.06 That last one I was dead on lap 3 and actually managed to claw back quite a bit on the last lap. Then did a 4 mile run after just to make it up to 50 miles for the week - which is my record - otherwise I'd have gone straight home.

What do people think is best when I want to up the intensity, decrease the recovery, increase the pace, increase the repetitions? I'm tempted by increasing the pace although as it is meant to be marathon training maybe increasing the repetitions makes more sense?
  • I know it looks like I'm crazy [I suppose I am sort of] but all my best times have come from high mileage. My body seams to cope with it quite well, I don't get ill or injured. The only real problem is working physicaly as a bricklayer.

I expect to go up to 120 but not sure about going higher again. I really want to train hard to see if I can achive what I belive is possible. I can run a marathon that is not a problem but I would like to go as fast as I can.

As for a training schedule. It's my own from years of running. Based on a lot of Cliffe Temple stuff! who I knew & he coached Mike Graton [a friend].
    I do like a lot of what I'm reading in "Advanced Marathoning". But what I really need is for my body to be able to store & use carbohydrate. As I seam to get so far feeling great & then just go to pieces.
    I want to look at my mental side as well [suicidal maybe] because I belive that will help.
    I really admire runners who take 4-5 hours out doing a marathon, that must take mental toughness.

But above all else I'm doing this because I like running, if I did'nt it would be a waste of time.

Tim :-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I suppose they are dust collectors, but a box, no way!
  • I have my few trophies on a bookcase in the lounge.

I know I V50 who has a whole bedroom full!!!!!!
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Not in a box. Not in the loft. No. No. No. I don't dust them, but the kids sailing trophies had a shelf built specially for them, running high up the length of the dining room.

I need to see them, and I didn't even win them!
  • Popsider, our coach would say to find an amount of reps you want to go up to. We seem to go up to 8x1k when marathon training so maybe 5 or 6 x 1600 for you. Then work up to the maximum trying to keep the same pace as when you were doing 3 or 4.

Then decrease the recoveries. His mantra is `you don't get recovery time in a race'. Once you've done your target race, then start back at square one but trying to be a bit quicker and repeat the above.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    BT

What sort of strategy do you employ with carbo loading and refuelling? Has anyone ever tried super compensation glycogen loading rather than just maintaining a hight carb diet in the build up and taper?
  • I just use the high carb diet.
    I'm a bit worried about doing the bleed-out diet as your supposed to feel quite week. Not a good idea if I'm up a scaffold I feel.

What's super compensation glycogen loading?
  • I really have very little idea about what to eat beyond a vague notion of pasta and rice are good, so is chicken and turkey. (So this ice cream and 7 Mars Celebrations washed down with half a bottle of red wine is not good)

I've read the nutrition sections in various books I've got and I just glaze over with their precise measurements. Is there any down to earth practical advice out there?

How important is nutrition, or given the fact I do high mileage can I just get by on roast dinners, curries, wine etc?
  • I've found nutrition to be very important.
    After leaving my parents & buying my home at 19 I became anemic. Not due to an eating disorder or anything. But because I did'nt eat enough food with iron, fortunalty the doctor told me to eat more plain chocolate!

BR it's important!
  • BT - on a cold day when you're working hard outside aren't you ever tempted by a bacon sandwich?

How strict are you with yourself?
  • BT,
    out of interest, what sort of time are you aiming for at Amsterdam off of 120 mpw?
    mm
  • I'm really lucky in that my preferd food is healthy. I've never eaten "fish n chips" hate cream, coffee & take-away's. Give me oats & dried fruit & I'm as happy as larry!
    I ate so many free bananas after the Lanzarote 1/2 I felt ill [about 14 I think]

P.S winter's are'nt as cold anymore!
  • hilly - well done on another sterling result and a really gutsy performance - I felt queasy just reading your report.

be proud of those trophies, even if you have to move to a bigger house to fit them all in!!!!
  • evening all

superb efforts from Hilly, Wardi, Speedie (that is hammering it over the first 2K though!) & happyrunning.

what: the 8 mile route this evening. Weather much improved by this time, having this morning got soaked by a sudden monsoon when umpiring a junior cricket game - a pleasant outing as a result.

why: Sunday is long(ish) run day

last hard day: Wed
    last rest day: Tue

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    super compensation - maybe the same as bleed out diet - not sure. Basically the idea is about 7 days pre race you deliberately exhaust your glycogen stores - so you exercise and have a low carb diet for a few days. Then you carbo load as normal for 4 days pre race. Studies suggest that your body super compensates - in other words you store more glycogen than if you'd just stuffed yourself with pasta etc without first exhausting your stored glycogen for a period of time.

Of course the risk is you have to do some hardish exercise on low fuel a week or so pre race. But that's the theory - apparently it works in terms of how much glycogen you can store although that is not to say there aren't downsides that outweigh the advantages. It's just a pre-race strategy like tapering, rather than something you would do as part of regular training. I'd have thought it was worth a shout if you are at the level you are and looking for an edge.