Rome Marathon 2011

Comments

• Hi all,

in the proccess of registering..have done the payment, downloaded the health form for gp to fill in ( I assume??).....what do I need to do with my club membership...scan it and upload it with the other things.......? New to all this...ran NY earlier this month and don`t remember all this rigmarole....still aiming to do Cannes to Nice next year too so at least I`ll know what I`m doing as I gather that has medical forms etc needed.

Anyone done it before? How soon do I need to book accommodation? So concerned about getting things sorted that the running bit will seem a doddle...ha ha!

• hi runsout i did have some trouble at first, then i got some info from the rome website.

yes thats it, you don the payment, the health form.

now you need to just scan the club membership card to them and after a week or so you should get the comfimation and your race number with details to collect your number for the race.

all the best to ya

• Rome is fab! Despite the cobbles I did a PB there. This year I'm a pacemaker (4.45) - I can't wait!
  • Yay! Happy New Year one and all....finally got my confirmation letter through...I am confirmed as running in the Rome marathon on march 20st!

Been laid up with this wretched flu/viral thing over christmas/New year...not been out at all..well not unless putting the rubbish in the outside bin counts! Feeling slightly better today...might manage to stay up all day ! Have decided to postpone 2011 until next weekend when hopefully will be feeling better....the good thing is the rest of the nation is either feeling better too or has given up as am working this morning and have less than half the volume of calls than we had last weekend.....of course that could just be because everyone is still hungover but....lets hope we`re all on the mend!

Here`s to 2011 ......mine starts the day i feel well enough to get out and run!

• Very jealous guys - I did Rome last year and absolutely loved it. Watch out for the heat though - I trained through a Scottish winter and then hit Rome at about 25c. I was sweating like a horse before I even crossed the line!
  • OK, just entered this one! 

This  will be my 2nd Marathon (following Paris in 2009)  and any  tips or advice from Maratona di Roma veterans  (those that have run it before ... not just the oldies! ) would be very welcome........

R

• Happy New Year!  Only 70 days away, how's everyone training?  Unfort I've been kinda laid up not running at all due to injury.  I'm back to slow running and hoping to build my endurance level up enough to FINISH Rome.
  • ya not to long now, the race day will be here before we now it. sorry to hair about the injury anthony, i have this injury that wont go away.   the runners knee, its giving me problems for a while now so i need to build back up slowley and hopefully the knee will get better as we get closer to race day.

hope everyone else is fit and training is going well.

• Mr. G,  hope the knee holds up!  I pulled a groin muscle which then caused me to alter my running and hurt my lower back.  The back is better but groin is 70% better.  You know they say the hardest part of a marathon isnt the race itself.  It's making it to the start line!  I was wondering all last month if I was going to make it or not.   After reading the story on this years medal;  I'm really motivated now to train and finish even if it takes me the whole 7 hrs.
  • Me too Anthony....inspiring story! I have only just got back to running after two and a half weeks with flu.....frustrating but am taking it slowly rather than rushing in as i really can't afford any injuries! Have booked flights and hotel which was a mission but has made it feel more real......just need to work out what the weather is likely to be like and try to sort out running clothes as all my training will be in cold weather gear.......anyone know what it is likely to be like or is it like London...could be warm but might be snowing too!
  • Is it to late to register for the rome marathon? did Berlin Marathon last September and have got the bug for European city marathons. Any other suggestions if registrations are shut?

Will

• you have until 7 March to register - http://www.maratonadiroma.it/en/3/rules_rome_marathon.aspx#Registration

come and join in the fun (although the registration process isn't very amusing)

• Got my bib number. Rome here I come! Willbe my first one. Training going Ok- up to 16 miles now on the slow runs. How do you guys keep motivated for the long weekend runs? 20 miles will bore the hell out of me, podcast or no podcast!
  • yes this forum is coming alive, so it must be almost marathon time image   welcome to the new commers on here. 

hi will    good luck in your registration, that can be have of the battle lol.

hi nick this will be no 8 for me, i do find wairing ipod dose pass the time in long runs, it will help to keep the volume down as i found 1 time, when i did not here the dog barking behind me image. i jumped out of my skin.

i am just looking to get to start line and hopeing to get around the route in one peace now as my training has suffered alot over the last few weeks. 

keep fit everyone

• My first marathon ever...just getting the form filled out image
  • Hi guys. I'm registered for Rome but my training hasn't been great. Yesterday I managed 16 miles but hit the wall after 13. The last three were a real hobble. I'm hoping to try 20 next week and only have to hobble 3 or 4 of those too!

How's everyone else getting on?
  •  If it makes you feel any better I am struggling too...so much so that I had to resort to using a crutch to get around for the early part of monday morning.....thank goodness it is ok now... well I can walk unaided!

Long story but I seem to have picked up a hip/groin injury...can't quite pinpoint it. I tried resting it....still swimming and going to spin classes as that doesn't seem to affect it and I can even run on the spot but as soon as I push off it pulls again. Anyway, foolishly I decided after two weeks rest I would try the Stamford 30k with the intention of pulling out if neccessay. I managed well for the first 15k and was looking good at 1 hr 32 but at 17k the pain started and by 20k I really wanted to stop but couldn't find a marshall until 24k by which time I had decided I that if I come this far I would bloomin' well finish!....even if I had to crawl and believe me I very nearly did! The good news is after really hobbling yesterday I was so much better today that I managed to get to the gym and use the powerplate which is really good for massaging aching limbs! I also have an appt with my physio friday and have total faith that he will sort me out ( I had similar problems last year and he sorted it out with just one visit! ).

Good luck keeping injury free everyone.......see you there!

• Hope the physio sorts you out. Let us know if they've got any good ideas for that sort of injury.

Went a little psycho today. I was desperate to improve my time over 5K and set off today in perfect conditions to give it a crack. I managed to knock 47 seconds off but only after shouting like a (polite) lunatic at tourists walking five abreast along the Embankment... I'll calm down after Rome.
  • SO, what's up with this recent announcment about a health form stamp?  I have my confr letter already but do I need to submit a new form with a stamp?  I never got my Q answered on FB.  If someone asks me how painful the race was, I'll say not as painful as the reg process! 

I did 18 mi last wknd and felt "OK", today I'm going to try for at least 10 mi but see how far I can go.   @ NIck - find a running partner, change up your running route, run some miles with and w/o music.

Anyone know what kind of sports drink will be on the course?  I'm assuming there may not be any gels, etc. so I'm bringing my own stuff.  I'm trying to figure out what to wear now as well so I can pack lite.

LOL @ i-Plodder.  Unfort there will be "tourist" walkers in Rome   image

• When I read the entry rules, I remember it saying the health form needed to be stamped and made sure it was. On the website now, it does have a news entry saying if you submitted the form without a stamp you have to submit it again with a stamp. How's your photoshop skills?

As for the drinks, I presume it's gatorade as they're a sponsor on the maratonadiroma.it sponsor page.
  • Hi,

I have just had a quick look at the site...it seems to me you need a health from if you don't have a current up to date membership with a running club....am I right? Beginning to panic a little now...should I maybe get a health form stamped anyway...just in case??
  • Hi I am running the rome marathon for first time. I did the paris marathon 3 years ago in 3.18 but am hoping to get in around the 3 hour mark in this one. I know we are put in allocated sections according to our last ,marathon time but does anyone know if it is possible to move up to the top of ur section if you arrive in plenty of time for the race??

• Runsout - I did Rome last year and forked out £50 and an hour of my life in a nasty waiting room to get a health certificate. Most people, shall we say, used their own interpretation of a doctors name, address and signature. Not the strictest policing!
  • Nail - I can't remember exactly but I think it is do-able. You have to get there early though as you are penned into big metal cages and there isn't much room for movement. Check out the entrance as well - last year you couldn't get to the pens from piazza Venezia which involved a lengthy walk for most people in the centre

Also, watch out about 0.5k in. There is a slight uphill and a tv camera so the whole race stops dead without warning!
  • Cheers pugsley I will try and get there early so. Its just that I have seen photos of the start and it looks very congested and a lot of people say its near pedestrian pace for the first couple of k which would be a bit of a disaster.
  • Get yourself nearer the front and you should be fine. I turned up late and ended up behind the 4:45pacer although I was aiming for 3:45 but stayed on target for most of the run. Watch out for the temp though - it wad 26c and I skipped the first few aid stations to make up time and paid for it from 30k onwards.
  • Looking at the race videos, the start doesn't look too bad. Nothing like london for sure.
    It's 2:00 in on this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/Gk3yGUVZCAM
  • Race day info is up!
    http://www.maratonadiroma.it/public/upload/file/Race_day_information.pdf
    Things seem to be going from bad to worse for me. Got a cold on wednesday and have been filling pretty bad since then. Hopefully I can get a run in tomorrow.
  • Slyde I prefer the video from 2 yrs ago, It was my motivation for my 20 miler yesterday.  Sucks to hear of your cold but hey, best to have it now than in 3 wks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_qvTKAtxI&feature=related

• I will be there as well! Has anyone heard about not being able to run with MP3 players in Rome? It doesn't say on the website but I believe that is an international law. I may be wrong. Can someone clarify? Good luck on the run all!