Rome Marathon 2011

Comments

• In the US, alot of races have online tracking but dont think Roma offers this option.  I think Garmin only "receives" and doesn't transmit.  I hope mine works in Italy.  As far as ipod, I've opted out because I'm going to be distracted enough looking around at the sights.
  • anyone know what food is on offer in rome (says from the 20th Km). wondering whether to take energy gels or not. Cheers! (or should I say, Buon Appetito?)
  • Water, Gatorade and sugar solutions are also provided at the first three refreshment stops (5th, 10th and 15th km). Water, Gatorade, sugar solutions, fruit and solids are provided from the fourth refreshment stop on (from the 20th km).

What kind of  "solids" I dont know but someone mentioned cookies or biscuits.  whatever you guys call them   image

• PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    I see the temperature is forecast to be 55degrees F. is that about perfect for a marathon? I'm just used to running in the freezing cold of England.
  • The temp for Sat shows sunny, 64f degrees.  That's as far as the 10 day forecast goes on weather.com.  you better believe I'll be watching it daily! 
  • PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    Accuweather on iPhone does a 15 day and shows Saturday at 66f and Sunday at 55f. I did laps around Lake Wingra in Madison last August in the baking heat and as it was only 7 or 8 miles i enjoyed sweating my guts out, but a marathon is something else. I guess 55f is perfect really.
  • I emailed them, solids are 'biscuits.
    and also oranges, apples, bananas.
    and also sugar. in blocks and in bags.'
  • Thanks i-plodder....sounds good to me........I am getting really nervous now...worried about my injury although at the moment it seems to have gone but then I'm not going to be testing it at any great distance now...still mind over matter....that has to be half the battle! If you see someone running with a limp in cursing in english then it is probably me so give me a wave as you run on by.

• Thanks i-plodder!  Runsout, I'm kinda worried too however I keep telling myself 7 hrs!  image  I'm pretty much resting til race day, if im not ready by now I wont be come race day.
  • Sorry to hear that Anthony but glad to hear I may have some company on my site-seeing run! 7 hours is plenty of time for a  guided tour and even better there are refreshments along the way!

• Starting to really excited about it now. Did a really hilly marathon in Potanza last Sunday; 1.50.

Bring it on Rome! This'll be my first marathon. I am nervous and exciited at the same time.

Hope my training will be OK I've missed quite a few runs but got out to 19.5 miles about 2 weeks ago.

• Hi folks,

I paid my free in November but ive still not uploaded the health form (oops...). Do you think it should be alright if i get it done this week? 

• Stewart: It won't hurt to try but u can do it at the expo. There will be a line for incomplete reg and those that don't have health form on record.

Nick: I'd say your ready dude! Your potanza time is great
  • Ah excellent thanks Anthony.
  • Balls! I meant half marathon,of course...

Stewart: Don't thin
    k they are going to check Dr's details too closely, reading previous threads...
  • I'm stressing over the weather, checked 3 sites and looks like it's going to be a rainy race.  I really hope things change  image
  • My husband and I are doing Rome too... Very exciting.

Hmm rain... I think I prefer that to heat. Did Hamburg last year in April and it was far too hot.

Random question: does anyone know if drinks at the stations come in cups or bottles? Cups are surprisingly difficult to drink out of when you're used to running with bottles..!! 

Good luck everyone and enjoy this last week of short runs and lots and lots of food image 

• Probably bottles, can't imagine logistics of cups every 5ks for 15000 plus entrants - but you never know! Seville last month had bottled water and lucozade in cups but those waxy ones with about 1 inch of drink in so you could pinch 'em to make a decent funnel and get a good mouthful without stopping, but then there were only 4-5000 entrants there. 

What with recent injury, and doing Brighton 3 weeks later was hoping for a site seeing 4hr ish saunter myself and as I'm going straight to airport after finishing don't fancy being rain soaked then carrying wet kit home. Perhaps I'd better ferret around my recycling bin for old kit so I can just chuck it away! Still can't be as wet as Firenze last November, that was proper wet - and cold too.

Haven't run since 2 Mar and am starting to feel raring to go - I'll have to restrain myself this week!! It won't make any difference now and I'd probably end up nadgering myself for this weekend and Brighton as well.

Best of luck all. Hope you all get what you want from the race.

• Just debating whether to try a short run myself......injury seems ok but am at the stage when I am frightened to run incase it flares up again and I really struggle ! Am determined I will get round Rome ...even if that means more walk than run but deep down I want to run it all .......just keep consoling myself with the thought of all the scenery and history I will be running past...the slower I am the more I can appreciate it!
  • Rest it, and carb load instead.

10k this weekend, nice and slow- bring on Rome! I know you're not supposed to want a good time for the first one- but I reckon 4.30 is possible. I did 1.50 on a hilly half marathon 2 weeks ago. Anything under 4.30 would be great.

• Don't want to jinx you NM13, but I think with that half marathon time you can easily get under 4.30! Cobbles depending...
  • Runs out, I hear ya! Not running here, just stretching.

I can't believe we're less than a week away! image
  • Cheers- we'll see. Never run over 19 miles before, so...could be tricky! My running partner is quite the motivator and I hope he shouts at me if I start to slow down.
  • Amelia - last year Gatorade was in cups and water was in cups and 500ml bottles. The bottles were rare though so if you get one hold on to it for your life - last year was really hot and I didn't get enough water in with cups and suffered for it.

From about 25k onwards there were quarter segments of blood oranges that were life-savers for me.
  • right now, the forecast is 30% chance of scattered showers.   low temp that morning will be around 47f or 9c with a high of 60f or 16c.  it could change but im very glued to weather.com  image
  • Why does weather change so much!?!?? Looks like a washout now! Maybe I need to stop staring at the forecast. :/
  • PlookPlook ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm starting to feel nervous about my first marathon. i am doing it to have a good time but my training was far from ideal and i did some last minute cramming running over the two previous weeks to get the endurance there and how i feel at 21 miles really concerns me. On 5th i did a 16 mile hilly Belvoir Challenge race, then 10th did 11mile hilly loop of Derwent reservoir, then 12th did 21 hilly miles at Derwent. Had a rest day and on Sunday just gone did 12 flat miles with one monster hill at the end - and on every mile i could feel ache and discomfort in my thighs, the same discomfort that i was getting at 20 miles a few days before. I had a rest yesterday and then just did a slow 2 miles this morning and plan the same for Wednesday then nothing until Saturday when i'll do 2 more slow miles. i had a leg massage this eveing to try and get rid of the thigh fatigue, but is there anything else i can do. Would ibuprofen help or any form of muscle relaxant, or am i just suffering from too much too late?

Someone told me this morning that 20 miles is considered to be the half way point in terms of what's left in the tank in a marathon - which has me worried because when i did 21 miles last week i was utterly spent at 20 miles.

The hilly 21 miles were done in 3.34, check out the stats here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72391343

Ignore the HRM starting figures - it was wrong!

You can see that my pace got slower and slower though it was a hilly route.

Any advice on how to manage miles 20-26 would be great.

Maybei just need to relax!

• What was your fluids/food intake for your long run? That's really important to prevent cramps and energy fatigue. Your not going to get any more ready than you are now. The only thing u can do at this point is rest! Try a hot bath and soak those muscles, stretch, ibuprofen. Don't worry! Your going to fulfill your goal of having a great time and finishing your 1st marathon.
  • Hi PIook I  think you are right...RELAX !

If you have access to a gym with a powerplate they are very good used on the massage setting...has helped no end with my current injury.....worth a try ....the only other thing I can say is to count down rather than up.....26.2 miles sounds a really long way and I try to count it down so once you get to 10 miles you can think only 16 to go and you have run 21 so 16 is doable..likewise once you get to 20 it is only 6 and you know you can run 6 miles...I try to think of an easy route at home by this point and imagine myself running this.  YOu have done the training and sound as if you are more than ready...just last minute cold feet!

I did run yesterday..only 3 miles and am pleased to say no pain.....or none that I didn't already have! I know it is going to be a struggle as I am starting with a niggle but I WILL do this...I am hoping to get 6 miles or thereabouts in tomorrow so that I know I can do 10k which will allow me to be more confident about my 4 x10K approach........Anthony...let me know what you are wearing and we can hobble along together if need be!

• Forgot to say Nick...I agree easily in 4.30...probably in less that 4.15