Rome Marathon 2011

Comments

• PlookPlook ✭✭✭

Anthony,

I had oatmeal for breakfast 2 hours before, then a gel at 8 miles and another gel at 16 miles. I had about a pint of water after the breakfast oatmeal and a few swigs before the run and carried a running bottle containing about a pint which i drank all of.

Hope i get to say hello to you there.

Thanks!

• PlookPlook ✭✭✭

Thanks for that, very helpful. RELAX.

I was just looking at the pacemaker information. How does that system work? if i decided i wanted to aim for 4.30, do i just make a note of that pacemaker's name and number and hope i find s/he? Not that i should be thinking of such stuff, i just want to get to the end.

• From previous marathons they carry a banner/sign on a stick with the time on or colour.....white or blue would be the colours you should aim for I think..white being 4.15 and blue 4.30....look on the site and race day info.....

• PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, i saw the colours thing and guess i'll aim for blue. Wasn't sure how you identify them though. Thanks.
  • Making my marathon debut in Rome on Sunday, feeling pretty nervous, but also so excited. Only ever done a 10k race before, so reckon its going to be a pretty overwhelming experience. I've been struggling alot with runners knee since late Jan but managed to clock the magic 20miles, albeit with a pretty sore knee, 2 weeks ago. Just hope the knee gets through all 26.2 miles!

• The crowd will get you through those last few miles! That and other runners.......we will hobble on together.x
  •  I hope so, I think I'll definitely need the encouragement. Good luck!!
  • Manky - Rest thy knee!  No more running until Sunday.  You'll do fine.  I was thinking today that they have a fitwalkers division with a cutoff of 7:30.  Us injured folks WILL NOT be coming in last  image

Plook - they have a list of pacemakers on their site along with their picture.  I'm sure they will have a meet/greet at the expo + usually they have balloons with time on so u can see them in the crowd.  looks like there will be about five 4:30 pacers.  Here's the link:

http://www.maratonadiroma.it/public/upload/file/PaceMaker2011(1).pdf

When is everyone arriving, going to expo? 

• Guys - seriously chill out. When people talk about 20 m being half way they are talking about finishing with times. If you are first on your first mara and you have done 20m then relax because you will finish for sure even if you have to pull yourself along on your fists.

In terms of pacers - they are as obvious as a punch on the nose so don't go looking for photos on websites. Just get their 90mins early to get near them if you want to run with them.

Finally, Rome is likely to be too hot. Don't worry about the rain - that would be a nice problem. Focus on hydration because unless you are from Africa or south America you will feel the heat.

It's a run - don't over think it. You will be as Proud as punch with your self when you finsih.
  • Can you wear Headphones during the Rome Marathon?
  • I am wanting to run the Rome marathon next spring and have been reading your posts with interest. I ran the Barcelona marathon on 6th March and highly recommend it for a spring venue.

Good luck on Sunday everyone. I look forward to reading your after-mara' posts.
  • Barcelona was one of the options I gave MOH to persuade her that it would fun for me to do another marathon. Glad to hear it's recommended - perhaps next year!
  • iplodder - Barcelona has fab shops, great restaurants, but more importantly the marathon is epic. The crowds are pretty much all along the course (chanting your name,) it is excellently organised and they play 'Barcelona' by Queen just before the off....tempted??? Read the Barcelona thread to get the full story. Good luck on Sunday.
  • You've persuaded me.....I did think I might take a year off marathons and try to improve my times on shorter distances but who can resist Barcelona ! If anyone is up for an autumn/winter marathon I am intending to to the Cannes to Nice in november....
  • I almost ran barcelona but figured rome would be a better fit with the other half so I compromised. Valencia is giving away 4 entries + hotel for their race in nov, stop by their expo booth and sign up.
  • weather is looking good again for sunday, just 20% chance of rain now.   hey, just call me the weather watching freak!  image
  • Despite total running last fortnight being 15 mins on treadmill 2 days ago I feel quite optimistic about Sunday. Although, I always approach them as a) get around b) sub 4? c) PB? so I'm not an elite who's going to beat myself up over it.

Something that happened to me in Seville last month was that temp on Sat was 25c but Sun never got above 12c. Upshot was that I drank for the weather Sat then kept having to pee sunday morning. constant trips to loo in hotel, bushes before the start and even 3 stops in the first half. I was passed by the sweep vehicles, bikers, roller skaters and the whole circus and was in last place in first 5 k. No pee stops in second half, big negative split, finished about half way and missed a PB by 3 mins.

I ran Barca in 09. Pretty good, like Rome it doesn't avoid the sights so you go past lots of Gaudi architecture, down part of the Ramblas and whatnot. My recollection is a smaller event, I started at the back and it took my 3 mins to cross the start line, but I see 12000 entrants this year so perhaps it's got bigger since I went there. Think it's pretty fast route and wide enough streets that you can pass people if PBs are your thing.

Best thing about running in Spain though is Tapas culture, small plates of food at regular intervals - perfect for marathoners.

• Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know if they are mile markers along the route or is it 5just k markers?

Also looking to find out about the places where there are hills on the course. Does anyone know where I can get this information (altimetry profile) ?

• cheers for that Anthony7 - you're right about the weather (you freak image )  - chances of rain seem to be receeding.

so the course seems to bob along within a 100ft range. Looks like the guy on mapmyrun had enough energy left at the end to jump 5 metres in the air.

• Well, just about ready now. Ironing up to date, kids all organised( and with 5 aged between 4 and 18 that is no mean feat believe me...makes running the marathon almost easy) hip still not right but has survived a couple of test runs thus week without worsening, painkillers packed just in case, all that remains is to decide what to wear on the day......tshirt or vest?
    Flying from Gatwick tomorrow afternoon....arrive at 18.15 so we the evening to find the expo and work out how to get to the race then hopefully a relaxing day enjoying the cafe's and sights of Rome. Excited and terrified at the same time ........
  • Also passing through Gatwick tomorrow (but in the morning) - it's beginning to feel a little real! Vest for me (union jack - couldn't resist). Baby not yet organised though image. Btw, impressive number of kids, Runsout!

Got that excited / terrified feeling too.

If I don't log on again before we leave - GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

• I arrive early Sat AM from Philadelphia then headed right to the expo then some light walking nearby the B&B.   We happen to be staying on Cavour a block from start/finish (YES!).  I just hope the expo isn't terribly busy on Sat.  I can't wait to check out the race gear for souvenirs .

I still don't know what im wearing.  Prob half tights to keep out chafing, light blue/white UA tech shirt + wearing my new Nathans hydration belt with pockets for gels and CAMERA!

I'm ready for Roma!!!!!  I'm bib 6001, good luck everyone!  If i knew the layout/surroundings I would suggest a meet up place race morning. image

• I am bib 901 I think and am staying at the Hiberia on via XX1V Maggio 8. If anyone finds anywhere we can meet for coffee on the Saturday I 'm up for it....if you want my mobile inbox me and I will give it to you ......
    I will be wearing either a BHF vest or a red T shirt
  • Thanks for that anthony. Best of luck with the run.
  • Anthony, I just purchased compression shorts.. never wore them on a long run but im tempted to use them for the marathon...any experience with these, do they help prevent chafing?
  • Stewart, I always wear compression gear to prevent chafing on long runs.  I even wear a compression top under my reg shirt.  It prevents nipple chaf + wicks away some of the sweat.  I'm a big fan of CW-X and Under Armour.
  • Ive heard its good for that the only reservation i had was that i was thinking because it hugs so close to your skin is there a case to say it actually makes you sweat more thus increasing chaffing?
  • Well its tight against your skin so even if you got wet, chafing shouldnt occur.  As long as its tightly against the skin and not moving nothing should rub.
  • Good luck everyone!!!!!  I'm off to Roma, Italia!    image