Rome Marathon 2011

Comments

• Good luck - it's a great race and you will love it. Hydrate well and if you are thinking about new kit at this stage beware - it's a long way to go with an open wound!

Look forward to hearing how you all got on.
  • Delayed at Gatwick for about 2 hours.......not the best start but hey ho.....onwards and upwards.....
  • Off to Rome now. All the best.I'll be in a Help for Heroes top.

Cheers'

Nick
  • PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a great race. My fierst marathon and i had a great time.
  • Totally exhausted after sightseeing in my race jacket I got at the expo. You know I had to get a photo in front the Milliarium Avreum down in the forum which is on the back of our AWESOME medal! End of the road. image I had a blast yesterday, Roma really out did herself. I'll post more later - traveling with iPhone. Ciao, off for more gelato!
  • Plook! How's it feel to be a marathoner?! Congrats!!
  • Survived the race but I seem to have come home with someone else's legs!
  • What a great day! 4.15, after essentially dying at 35k! I had a really good time- now to plan another crack at 4 hours!

• It was great!! For some reason I died at about mile 8 which made the rest of it pretty hard..! So not my best marathon time ever. But great views and sites. Loved running through the Piazza Navona in particular - very tempted to grab a bottle of wine on the way through.

Not sure I trusted the timing though. We crossed the start line about 5 minutes after the start. When we crossed the finish the clock said 4.06... yet our official time was nearly 4.08! Not quite sure how they worked that out. 

Hope you all had fun and aren't aching too much...

• So was it good? Shall I register for 2012? Anybody know the date for the marathon next year? Anyone running Rome again next time?
  • PlookPlook ✭✭✭
    I had a great time in my forst marathon. i had no idea what to expect or how i would feel after my top distance of 22 miles, but i took it really easy following the 4.30 pacemaker and did 4.31, which i was pleased with because i had not trained properly due to illness. i had some left in the tank at the end which suggests i could maybe have aimed for 4.15 pacemaker, but i might have blown up, but in the end i did what was right and really enjoyed it.

I think it's on March 18th next year and i plan to go back and aim for sub 4. I loved it and i just spent today in Rome sight-seeing. I'm here until Friday.

Tom
    tomplook@hotmail.com
  • Hey great job Tom, I'm still in Roma too! Spent the whole day in Tivoli and exhausted. Heading out for Spanish eats near p. Navona then of course gelato!

Elizabeth, I just may come back next, it was an awesome race.
  • My friend got engaged in Rome over the weekend, and she said she was cheering you all on on Sunday (well I told her too lol) well done to all of you, maybe I'll do it next year.
  • Wow, wow, wow (and ow! ow! ow!). Rome was a great. If I died and went to heaven, I'd like to think it would be like running into St Peter's: a bit tired, suddenly the vast basilica appears, along with a crowd, a band and the Pope on giant screens. One to do again. I hope everyone had a good time afterwards (we found somewhere that did huge steaks and litre beers). Good luck to adjusting back to normality. Elizabeth E - you should do it!
  • New York is next I think (I'll let the OH choose - she's the one who has to look after the little 'un when I'm running / on the day). Good luck with Rome - you'll love it.
  • You'll love NY....I did it last year and it was fantastic.....bagels for breakfast....amazing organisation and loads and loads of support....if I only had one marathon to do that would be THE one and then of course there is NYC itself......go for it, the OH will love it x
  • Hey guys!

I had a really great time running that, wasn't the weather fantastic? perfect conditions. Was taken back by the sheer amount of people...anyone know where the photos are at?

• Oh, i forgot to mention, i was totally misjudged how far the finish was and i start LEGGING it after we ran through the tunnel which is about 35k? i was thinking it was about 40k by that point, safe to say the last 7 k were tough.
  • FINALLY HOME!  I had a great vac in Italy from Rome down to Positano seeing everything in between however the best day for me was race day. image   Rome was everything and more, I wish I could run it again next year.  I'll post some photos soon!
  • Pictures will be posted here when available, looks like they are still adding.

http://www.fotostudio5.com/events/422/maratona-di-roma-2011.aspx

• Did you happen to stop by Naples...I went for the day, it was...an experience.
  • Yes, Naples was very interesting esp the local train (Circumvesuviana)  image

Still no pics, they say 50k photos still to be uploaded.   hehe, anyone up for next year??!

• /members/images/570427/Gallery/Picture_655_1.jpg

The Maratona di Roma was everything I had hoped and more!  The Italians really know how to put together a running event.  Rome was my 10th marathon and as of now the best event of any distance I've participated in.

The expo was rather large and busy (16k runners).  It was setup into a one way direction so you pass by all the booths which were a lot.  We stopped by the race apparel booth where I got another shirt + race jacket.   In the race packet, I ended up getting a shirt and a nice acics backpack which could be used for gear check on race day.  In all, the expo was nice and flowed rather well.  Unfort the pasta party was pushed back an hour so we skipped it.

The temp was around 48f with the high going up to 60f.  It would be partly cloudy and a slight breeze at times.  The weather turned out to be very nice.

The highlights of the course included starting at the Colosseum, running up and around Capitoline hill, down by the circus maximus, thru the streets of trastevere, along the Tiber river, up to and around st peters square, past the Olympic stadium, around piazzas navona and del popolo, past the spanish steps, trevi fountain, and doing 1 final loop around the Colosseum.  Most of the course had plenty of spectators, more than I had figured.  Sometimes we ran past locals sitting outside a cafe having their cappuccinos.

I kept hearing the words die from other runners.  I was wondering why r they telling me to die, die, die!?!  Well I find out that "dai" means "come on" in Italian.  I tell ya, hearing others tell you to die in a marathon sure doesn't sound very encouraging!

I was so focus on the sights that I didn't realize I was going 42km.  I actually ran about 44km zig zagging snapping pictures.  I was just in awe of all the historical things I was running past or on.  Some said the cobblestones would take me out but I say maybe 3-4 km were rough ones and I found the rest to be smooth. 

My finish time was 5:39 which is fine by me.  I hurt my back back in Sept so my goal was to FINISH ROME.   Did anyone find the milliarium aureum thats depicted on the medal down in the forum?  It was hard to find but did manage to do so.

• Great race report Anthony....

you must have finished fairly close to me as my time was around 5.20...like you I ran injured and treated it as sight seeing adventure.It was a great race, I particularly loved the Trevi fountain as it was my reason for doing the race...I just loved the film Roman holiday...my only irritation were the shoppers in the last 10k....it seemed nothing was going to get in their way and a few weary runners were an inconvenience rather than something to be cheered..still, all in all it was great as you say and I just loved Rome and will definately be returning for more sight seeing although this time I may take the bus!

Running wise I have taken a well earned week off....my hip is still sore and I walk with a slight limp but no worse than before I ran which is just as well as I am running London in 2 weeks ( I have 10 days in Egypt before then which will give me a rest and a tan) and i have just signed on for the Alpes-Maritimes marathon in november.......sheer madness I know but next year I am resting..well not doing so much..maybe a few halves....although saying that Berlin...Barcelona...marathon du medoc.....all so very tempting....maybe see you at one of them????

• PlookPlook ✭✭✭

Anthony,

That is a superb report and really reflects just how great the Maritona di Roma was. I will be back for sure next year and hopefully before then i will do others that'll get me in better shape. I wish i had better IT facilities while i was there so i could have logged into this and got your contact details, would have been nice to hook up and have a caffe and gelato. Monday after the race i could hardly walk and just rested at my cousin's in Aprilia, Tuesday i got the train into twon and spent he whole day walking all over Rome, met an elderly American couple up on the Quirinalle and had a long and pleasant chat about the politics in Madison, Wisconsin - where both of us have friends and family who are teachers, then i had an ENORMOUS tres gusti gelato on Via Corso and wearing my Maritona di Roma backpack did not feel in the least bit like a hog and it was the best ice cream of my life By pm i was beat and my toes were hurting. When i got back to Aprilia i noticed my toes were nearly all black from blood blisters under the nails. I Googled it and discoverd that feet can expand as much as half a size in a marathon, so my new Asics were too tight at the end. In fact, it's now April 1st and my toes are still black and i have yet to start a new training program, but i must soon as i have the Sheffield half marathon 8th May. Where do i aim after Rome though?

•  Plook - Rome just totally rocked!  You know I saw so many of those race backpacks all over Italy the week after.  I'm just now RELAXING.  After the race we ended up walking to piazza navona for this pizzeria recommended by our B&B which turned out to be the best pizza & foccacia we had in Italy.  The next day and everyday after it was non-stop walking... Rome, Tivoli, Pompeii/Ercolono, did a day hike on Capri, hiked along the Amalfi, etc....  My feet are still sore!  Rome def made the trip, not just the race but the city was great.  I'm really thinking about next year but how do i convince the other half?  There is 3 other big races in europe on my to do list.... Berlin, London, Stockholm.

Your correct about feet swelling up during long distances.  My running shoes are 1 full size bigger.  When I got fitted for my Brooks a few years ago I thought they were crazy.  Thankfully I have the perfect shoe for me and can buy them online w/o having to try them first.

Runsout -  London!?!  One year I will running there!  As of right now it feels good to have nothing on my plate.  I don't know what I'm going to do in the fall.  I've yet to hear anything about that free entry/hotel in Valencia, i did put my name in the box at the expo.  I've never got so many race flyers or knew there were so many in europe.

Yes, I loved Trevi!  Did you go at night?  My most shocking surprise was around 17km when we made that turn to run towards st. peters and my fav piazza was Del Popolo.   Loved it!  I may go back next year, I wish we could have organized a pre or post race celebration.  I'm def looking into more races now across the pond!

I'll miss this thread, who knows maybe one for 2012 is coming?! image  I sometimes lurk in other events on here and wish I were closer.  keep in touch fellow marathoners, im on fb & dailymile .. facebook.com/anthony7

/members/images/570427/Gallery/Picture_610.jpg

/members/images/570427/Gallery/Picture_449.jpg

• Hi Anthony,
    yes I loved the piazza del popolo too....we had lunch there on the monday, like you I wish we could have all met up afterwards....maybe next time. I am facebook too...Dale Wildon....I will see if I can work out how to find you and invite you to be my friend!
    Think of me plodding round London...it is a great race too but this is my third time and being injured it has lost some of it's shine but I am doing it for the british heart foundation as part of a year of "challenges"...3 marathons...two 1 mile swims ( one Lake windermere and the other a sea swim in Bournemouth) plus a 100k cycle ride around London at midnight so I have to do it!
    Maybe we will meet at another race, I did NY but am looking for another USA marathon to do...any you recommend??