Rome Marathon 2011

Comments

• PlookPlook ✭✭✭

Anthony, just looked for Anthony7 in Facebook but nothing which seems to be you.

London doesn't appeal for a marathon. I've lived and worked there twice and use dto run and cycle to work and i just can't get worked up about it, plus it's far from easy to get into, heavens knows why when you can pay your money and get straight into the Maratona.

I think i might try and do a trail marathon in the Lake District in July. We are contemplating a holiday with friends in Wisconsin like last August in which case i could probably try and find a 1/2 marathon there. then again we might go to Italy. Planning active holidays is not easy.

• I understand about London but I guess it has the same appeal as NYC does.  I'm really not a big fan of mega races.  Rome sure didn't fill like 10K+ runners but then again I was in the back.  lol 

WI vs Italy, i'd say Italia!!

How did everyone else do that signed up?  Mr. Guiness, Nathan, Pete??  

http://www.facebook.com/anthony7

• Looking into doing this one next year.  Recomendations for accomodation please, and tips etc.

Have never done a marathon abroad and the palava with health form etc is putting me off.

- get going nice and early with it and allow yourself to adopt an Italian attitude to getting this done: it will get done, it just may take a little time

- if you get stuck, email them. they will eventually respond.

- there is a time-lag between uploading stuff and hearing back from them

- my GP was very relaxed about the certificate - just a few questions and a blood p / hr test

In Rome: 

- we stayed at the IQ hotel (highly rated on trip advisor). Anywhere near the Coliseum or along via Cavour should do

- get to the expo early to avoid queues

- when eating out, there's this thing they do which is great for carbo loading ...

Race day:

- on the day, hydrate early and then get to the start early if you want a PB, it takes a while to wind around the roads to funnell in and once at the start you are coralled in. that said, the speed-merchants in the front pen seemed to have a lot of space and could probably have turned up 20 mins before the off. i also got chatting to a bloke at mile 10 who turned up late, ran from the back, and said it cleared quickly. we both finished 3.28 so you can turn up late and get through the crowds, it seems

- there's a good spot at around 32km for supporters to spectate as they can then nip over to the Spanish Steps in about ten minutes but it's another 5km round the course

- wear a UK / England / Whatever running top - excellent support from the foreign contingent

- if deliberating over whether to do it - ignore people's issues with the cobbles - it wasn't very noticeable

It's fab. You'll have a great time if you do it.

• Registration, contd

- and another thing, there's a delay once you've paid via a credit card. give it, say, 4 days to see if the payment is taken. as above, don't adopt an Anglo-Saxon attitude to the process.

Race day, contd

- run with a small camera. It's not a very pro thing to do, perhaps, but there are some incredible moments along the course that are giving me a shot of adrenaline as I write this

• Thanks guys. It sounds such an amazing place. I don't do marathons for PB's as i just don't achieve them.

would you recommend a package deal or just book hotels and flights seperately (never done that)

Thanks

• I agree with all of the above...especially the camera bit! I didn't complete a medical form as I am a member of a running club here...on entry there seemed to be an option of either running club membership or health form but to be honest when I went to the expo they didn't ask for either and just to be on the safe side I had a letter from my club as well as my club card. Absolutely run with something British on....amazing support from all but more than anything DO NOT put your head down and run the race like you have to win it...enjoy the scenery and the mediterranean atmosphere.....life is to be enjoyed...even whilst running a marathon!

• Runsout is spot on.

We booked all the bits separately - but then my wife is very organised!

We did Easyjet (half the plane were wearing the medal / T-shirts on the Monday flight home)

• Do you not need a medical form if you are a member of a running club?
  • No...well not from my experience anyway. YOu do in france but not Italy.
  • I would book separately and not through a tour group, you will save tons. There are plenty of places to stay, you def want to be close to the start/finish area.   The expo was easy to get to on the metro.  As i-plodder said, the cobbles weren't an issue at all.  I'd say less than 20% of the route is on cobbles and generally they are smooth and worn down.

If your a member of a club then you don't need the dr form.  I would def join the facebook page, they will be on top of any Qs you might have + get updates almost daily usually in fall as the race date gets closer. 

• Hello you guys. I've just had a huge shock when I tried to register for the 2012 Rome mara'. There is a message that pops up saying, 'subscription closed'! Please someone tell me that this is a mistake and that the officials are just busy eating Easter eggs. Has anyone else had any problems? I will be GUTTED if I have missed the boat.
  • Rome doesn't close, u can reg up til the race expo. This time last year reg wasn't even open yet so I would double check that. Trust me, u haven't missed anything
  • Thanks Anthony. I have found out that the subscriptions open this month. I am so glad that I haven't missed the boat.
  • I e-mailed the Roma Marathon office a couple of days ago, with regard to the online subscription. They said:

"Subscriptions will start in May.  For the exact day we will give official notice on our site."

Hope that helps

• I've just sat and read all the posts and am now so excited about Rome it's untrue......I'm still on a "high" from yesterdays 15k so that could be it of course.

Will be registering as soon as it's open for sure. 

See some of you there perhaps?

Kx

• I plan on being there.

Never been abroad before, but Rome is the one place in the world that I've always wanted to visit. So, why not combine it with my love of marathon running?

• FYI:  reg will open this week per a posting today on their FB site

• There is an error on the 'individual registration' page. I have e-mailed the organisers today as I have tried now for 2 days to register.
  • To be fair, the website homepage doesn't actually say that the system is open to entries yet.

If the online registration page is playing up then I would assume that they are preparing it to 'go live'... 

http://www.arkanddove.com/rome.gif

• Italians are slow paced, the reg isnt open yet.  I checked last year and I reg on May 31. 
  • I've done it, and it was okay after the 3rd attempt. 

See you there.

K

• Strange - I'm still getting the 'subscriptions soon online' message... image
  • The whole website crashed this morning, not just the registration page!!
    It's back up now but as Williambloke says the page just reads 'subscriptions soon online'.
  • they have emailed me to say I'm registered, taken my money (i've checked with BC) and I'm just waiting for the doc to send me back my med. cert.  Flights booked......just got to train now....

Yeah.

Roman Holiday - superb film image

• How on earth did you manage that?
  • I was on it the first day it opened, and it worked for me after putting in my name about three times, then I think it crashed.  Good luck to everyone......hope it works soon.

• Registered!! It took 4 or so attempts but it eventually accepted my application.

Do we need to set up a new thread for Rome 2012? I'm a luddite so don't ask me.

I've viewed the route on Google Earth and it looks stunning. Whilst I am reluctant to wish my life away, I am REALLY looking forward to this one!!
  • Great news that you're in too....yeah yeah I'm dead excited, even though I've a long way to go to get back into the training.....

I'll start a thread then.......Rome here we come 2012 image

• I'm in too... I can't wait!!! I'm so anal that I've already put my training plan together...

http://www.free-animations.co.uk/people/romans/images/roman_4.gif